Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Barbie (2023)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Live action Barbie movie on the way
http://community.livejournal.com/ohnoth ... 75579.html
(their source was weblogs.variety.com)
Universal Pictures has added Barbie to its star stable.

The studio has made a deal with Mattel to build a live action film around its signature toy line. Studios are placing a premium on building films around well-known concepts. Universal brass feels it has landed the queen of globally branded toy figures.
Laurence Mark will produce.
According to Mattel, the 50-year old Barbie has 99% worldwide brand awareness, is the number one girls property in the toy industry, the top doll property in the U.S. and the number one worldwide property in the traditional toy industry.

“Barbie is the most famous doll in history, a unique cultural icon in the world of brands,” said Universal Pictures chairman Marc Shmuger. “So many representations of Barbie frequent pop culture, but never before has she been brought to life in a motion picture. We’re grateful to Mattel for entrusting us with this extraordinary opportunity.”

Mark said the next step will be to canvas writers and decide a creative take for a family-friendly movie. Mark, who just produced “Julie & Julia” and is currently in production on the untitled James L. Brooks-directed comedy that stars Reese Witherspoon and Jack Nicholson, was one of several A-list producers who met with Mattel and U execs. Mark said he felt fortunate to get the job and said there is no shortage of plot possibilities, since Barbie has held more than 120 jobs over the years.

“Barbie may be the most popular girl in the world, and has always been a wonderfully aspirational figure, so we must do her proud,” Mark said.

The executive producers are Barbie general manager and Mattel senior veep Richard Dickson, and Rob Hudnut, who is vice president of Entertainment for Barbie. The brand managers will clearly be hands on in determining how Mattel's star asset translates to the screen.

Asked why there had never before been a live action feature (there have been 16 direct-to-video animated titles, selling 75 million units worldwide, per Mattel), Dickson called the U deal the logical next step in expanding the brand’s reach. In the past several years, Barbie has expanded into areas like fashion shows, merchandise, and online ventures that include Twitter, Facebook, even Barbie’s own YouTube channel.

“The brand wasn’t ready for a movie,” Dickson said. “In the last 10 years, Barbie has evolved from a toy into an intellectual property. We’ve already had enormous success in the entertainment industry. Barbie has a proven track record in home entertainment, there have been live stage shows, live symphonies and other non-traditional forms of entertainment. There is a flagship store in Shanghai. There are a lot of ways we are already communicating with Barbie’s audience, and there is a richness to the brand as an entertainment property.”

While Universal and Mark will want to move ahead aggressively, Dickson said no timetable has been set for Barbie’s big screen debut.

“The utmost concern is to make sure every detail is right,” Dickson said. “Rather than a timetable, I’m more interested in making sure we deliver the right product.”

The Barbie deal was made by CAA, which previously placed at Universal and Playtone Mattel’s “Major Matt Mason,” a potential star vehicle for Tom Hanks. The most recent deal is an as-yet-to-be-launched Mattel monster toy line that will be turned into a musical by that reunites “Hairspray” producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron with Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, who’ll write the original score.
I didn't see the Bratz movie, and I'm not a fan of Bratz. I am, however, a life-long fan of Barbie's. I hope the movie isn't fluff...I mean, I hope it's fun, but fun and smart, a la Legally Blonde.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

The series of CGI movies gets worse and worse as the years wear on, so perhaps a well-made live action film will help...BTW, I'm a big Barbie collector so this news is welcome in my corner... :D
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

I wonder if it will have the Aqua song; "C'mon Barbie let's go party..."
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

PLEASE. No.
If Hollywood is really lacking in ideas so badly they resort to this, I don't mind giving some for absolutely no reward.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Lazario
Suspended

Re: Barbie: The Movie?!

Post by Lazario »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I didn't see the Bratz movie, and I'm not a fan of Bratz. I am, however, a life-long fan of Barbie's. I hope the movie isn't fluff...I mean, I hope it's fun, but fun and smart, a la Legally Blonde.
No chance of that whatsoever.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

I wonder who will play Barbie haha.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

rexcrk wrote:I wonder who will play Barbie haha.
Me :wink:
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

^^ Nah, you're more of a Skipper :p.
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Mooky wrote:^^ Nah, you're more of a Skipper :p.
:lol: isn't Skipper a kid...? :oops: :lol:
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Not since 1997!

;)
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

eh... we'll see....

Stick with a Jem movie, come on Hasbro! :P
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Mooky, your knowledge of the Barbie universe is getting scary. :P
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Julian Carter wrote:Mooky, your knowledge of the Barbie universe is getting scary. :P

I think it's cute :lol:
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Julian Carter wrote:Mooky, your knowledge of the Barbie universe is getting scary. :P
Oh, you don't know the half of it ;)...
Nick Bryant wrote:I think it's cute :lol:
My Shakira Barbie agrees :p.
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Mooky wrote:
Oh, you don't know the half of it ;)...
Nick Bryant wrote:I think it's cute :lol:
My Shakira Barbie agrees :p.
Oh wow! Never been called a Shakira Barbie before but I LOVES it!!! Nice work Mooky boy :thumb:
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Eek! No, I actually *do* own a Shakira Barbie!

And Ariel Barbie. And Cinderella Barbie. And Mulan Barbie. And Jasmine Barbie. And Horse-Riding Barbie. And Palm Beach Skipper. And...
:shifty:

But you can keep that name :p...
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Mooky wrote:Eek! No, I actually *do* own a Shakira Barbie!

And Ariel Barbie. And Cinderella Barbie. And Mulan Barbie. And Jasmine Barbie. And Horse-Riding Barbie. And Palm Beach Skipper. And...
:shifty:

But you can keep that name :p...
rotfl rotfl rotfl
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Mooky wrote:Not since 1997!
Or 1988, for old-timers like me. :tink:

Or earlier, if you count 1975's Growing Up Skipper. (She grew boobs before your eyes.)

WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

:o Wow! How my lil' skippy girl has changed. For the better of course :wink:

Mooky you'll have to post some picys of your Barbies (especially the Shakira one :wink:), you Waylon Smithers you :lol:
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

pinkrenata wrote:
Mooky wrote:Not since 1997!
Or 1988, for old-timers like me. :tink:
Yay! Another Barbie enthusiast!!! :pink:
Nick Bryant wrote:Mooky you'll have to post some picys of your Barbies (especially the Shakira one :wink:), you Waylon Smithers you :lol:
:lol:, what can I say, when you're a queen, you're a queen to the extreme! :p
(Aaaaand that fills my gay quota for this week.)