Disney Buys Marvel

All topics on all things Marvel.
Mockingbird

Disney Buys Marvel

Post by Mockingbird »

2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well, they were rumoured to be after Marvel back in the 90's when it was bankrupt. I can't say I'm happy about this, but it puts Marvel on an equal level to DC I guess - both supported by massive multi-media empires.

I hope this means less inter-title crossovers from Marvel. They're all but ruined the comics over the past few years IMHO.

It will be interesting to see how this effects Marvels' current film and tv projects.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

does this mean that iits possible that the 1990s Spiderman: TAS would be released to Volume sets like X-Men: TAS is being released?
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Uh wow. I honestly don't know what to expect from this.
ImageImageImageImage

BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

I'm assuming that the existing projects will remain with their current owners? That is, Sony will still sell the DVDs for the first three Spider-Man movies, and Disney won't?
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

I've always liked DC over Marvel anyways.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

BrandonH wrote:I'm assuming that the existing projects will remain with their current owners? That is, Sony will still sell the DVDs for the first three Spider-Man movies, and Disney won't?
Sony somehow owns a piece of everything in one way or another. :roll:
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

opps I did a thread on this without double checking....my bad
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

The_Iceflash wrote:
BrandonH wrote:I'm assuming that the existing projects will remain with their current owners? That is, Sony will still sell the DVDs for the first three Spider-Man movies, and Disney won't?
Sony somehow owns a piece of everything in one way or another. :roll:
Last time I checked Mr. Stringer hadn't yet stolen my Disney DVD collection, lol.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Quick, check again, Julian! :o

As far as I know, Marvel's committed to:

* Iron Man with Paramount
* Spider-Man with Sony
* Various Animation with Lionsgate
* Fantastic Four with Fox (although this is due to lapse soon - that's why Fox are talking about a reboot in order to keep the property)
* Daredevil with Fox (ditto)
* Superhero Squad with Cartoon Network
* Ghost Rider with Sony (again, will expire in a couple of years if no further film ismade)
* Incredible Hulk with Universal
* All things Mutant with Fox

In most cases, the rights or co-rights expire after a number of years of in-activity. This is a common requirement when licencing out properties for film.

Captain America, Thor, Avengers, Dr Strange, Runaways are with Marvel Studios, fully funded by Marvel Studios and distribution is unknown (I think). I guess these could end up as Buena Vista
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

I don't know if I like this...

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

2099net wrote:In most cases, the rights or co-rights expire after a number of years of in-activity. This is a common requirement when licencing out properties for film.
how does this apply for tarzan? since its copyrighted. and i cant wait for a disney's take on fantastic four! i love the comics but the movie...yeekh!
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Maybe now they can make a proper Fantastic Four movie.

Starring Miley Cyrus, John Travolta, Zac Efron and Tim Allen.

Okay in all seriousness, this is serious cash. I remember people complaining Pixar wasnt worth the $7 billion. Eventhough in the end it was. I mean Cars merchandise is selling like hotcakes and Up is a huuuuge hit.

But with all of these characters still divided over different studios, how are they gonna make money? It'll take years. A lot longer than Pixar.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

akhenaten wrote:
2099net wrote:In most cases, the rights or co-rights expire after a number of years of in-activity. This is a common requirement when licencing out properties for film.
how does this apply for tarzan? since its copyrighted.
Who knows, Disney's put out a couple of projects since the movie for Tarzan. However, there is talk of another proper Tarzan film (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0918940/) so perhaps they have expired or perhaps because it will be so different to Disney's version, there's no conflict.
and i cant wait for a disney's take on fantastic four! i love the comics but the movie...yeekh!
Wasn't that The Incredibles? :)
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

so it doesnty fall under the 99 years policy?
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

PatrickvD wrote:Maybe now they can make a proper Fantastic Four movie.

I swear to god, if I see one f***ing tween Disney star in any Marvel movies, I will kill them. :evil: :angry:

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Okay in all seriousness, this is serious cash. I remember people complaining Pixar wasnt worth the $7 billion. Eventhough in the end it was. I mean Cars merchandise is selling like hotcakes and Up is a huuuuge hit.

But with all of these characters still divided over different studios, how are they gonna make money? It'll take years. A lot longer than Pixar.
I don't agree. Marvel's gone from having to make co-production films to their own films in less than a decade. That's serious progress. All of their new films are solely financed by Marvel Studios. And that's from a company which was bankrupt in the mid-1990s. It's an incredible business achievement.

Plus, Marvel's got literally thousands of characters, hundreds of which meaningfully to support their publishing and licencing business. Pixar only has a few properties and they're not exactly growing at a rapid rate. Marvel's got 70 years of history to draw upon - all suitable for toys, clothing, video games, animation etc. Including at least two major films per year to boost sales.

I think the only reason Marvel's gone for $4.5bn and Pixar went for $7bn is because money is generally harder to raise, thanks to the current economic climate. I think Marvel's worth much more than Pixar. However, it would be easy for Disney to screw it all up if they interfere too much... which is likely...

Can you imagine the fuss when some poor busybody finds out Disney owns the company which published the "Son of Satan" comic (and other examples of demonic entities too)? Song of the South will seem like a walk in the park! :)
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

xxhplinkxx wrote:

I swear to god, if I see one f***ing tween Disney star in any Marvel movies, I will kill them. :evil: :angry:
AMEN!!!!
:x :evil: :twisted:
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Doesn't Miley want to be Batgirl? Or is that just a gossip rumour?
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Julian Carter wrote:
The_Iceflash wrote: Sony somehow owns a piece of everything in one way or another. :roll:
Last time I checked Mr. Stringer hadn't yet stolen my Disney DVD collection, lol.
:lol:

You'd be surprised though of what technologies and products they have their finger around. They were one of the ones who developed the DVD aren't they? They must get something whenever someone uses it. (i.e when Disney releases DVD's. You know Sony gets something out of Blu-ray as well since they also helped develop that.)