Disenchanted

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Disenchanted

Post by blackcauldron85 »

(I know that there's another Enchanted 2 thread, but that's about a fan's version; this is about the actual sequel.)

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... ted-2.aspx

Whereas in other cases, we’re talking about projects that are at least two & three years down the line.

Speaking of which … Given that “Enchanted” actually ended with that Carrie Underwood song, “Ever Ever After,” I never thought that I’d actually see a sequel to this Kevin Lima movie. But when it comes to today’s Hollywood, it’s wise to never to say never. Which is why we’d all best get ready for …

ENCHANTED-2.COM
ENCHANTEDTWO.COM

Yep. Disney actually registered these two domain names this past Saturday. And this time around, I’m betting that the Mouse did this not because they wanted to prevent some other company from using these titles. But – rather – because the Studio is seriously considering producing a sequel to this 2007 Walt Disney Pictures release.

I know, I know: "It's Jim Hill, so take it with a grain of salt."

But Enchanted was very successful, and it's become a modern-day classic. It's really a beloved film.

I wouldn't mind a sequel at all. I'd rather see an Enchanted sequel than one to G-Force...I bet a lot of you would rather an Enchanted sequel than a sequel for a bunch of other modern live-action films, right?!? :)

I think that Enchanted would make a great animated film about Giselle's earlier life (I think that someone mentioned that somewhere...maybe in the Enchanted thread.

So, thoughts on the potential Enchanted 2?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

How interesting.

I've given alot of thought about what an Enchanted sequel should be so I have plenty to say about it, but I'll come back and type out all my thoughts.

As for what the sequel might actually turn out to be, it could either be really good, or really bad.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

It needs Amy Adams, Alen Menken and traditional animation back for round 2. Otherwise I'm not excited.

It's that old school stuff that made Enchanted what it is.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I LOVE Enchanted, but I don't know why they would need a sequel. The ending kind of implies that they all lived happily ever after.

I wouldn't mind a sequel if they did it just right.

When I (and many of my friends) first watched the movie, I (we) thought Giselle & Robert got married. But, few said they weren't since there wasn't a wedding ring on both their fingers in the end. I know plenty of couples that don't wear a wedding ring when they are at home, so this may be the case. Also, the novelization of the movie states that they did get married and Morgan was the flower girl at the wedding.

If they didn't marry, maybe the sequel could be about Giselle & Robert getting ready for their wedding. Giselle is still trying to figure out how things work in the real world, and she realizes not everything is always golden and winsome. There are moments when she tries to sing, but can't for fear of embarassing herself or the words just can't come out. Deep down, she wants to go back to Andalasia, but does not want to leave Robert, Morgan, and her business. She decides to go back when Robert's ex wife (and Morgan's mom) comes back into the picture and tries to throw a wedge in the relationship Giselle has with both Robert and Morgan.

Meanwhile, in Andalasia, King Edward spends his time troll hunting and governing the people. Queen Nancy gets bored with the fairy tale life. She's had enough of the singing, talking animals, and everyone being so freaking happy. She wants a little excitement in her life. As an escape to reality, she goes back to the hustle and bustle of New York City.

As for Pip and Nathaniel, I really don't know. Maybe Nathaniel stays friends with Giselle and Robert, and somehow ends up with May when he learns to love himself. May is Nancy's assistant in a deleted scene. She's also at the very end of the movie when she watches the mice make the dress in Andalasia Fashions. Or, maybe Nathaniel can get with Sam (Robert's secretary).

I don't know. Just a thought. It's really hard coming up with a sequel for this movie.
Last edited by tsom on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

i could see this happening. actually i've thought since from the beginning it could easily have a sequel. i just think they would have to have THE perfect story or else it would be a disaster.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

It will probably be a story about Edward and Nancy getting into trouble, and Giselle has to go back to Andalesia to help them.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

tsom - your idea is like mine.

A sort of 'prince and the pauper' tale.

Giselle and Nancy could magically swap bodies.

Nancy is back in the hustle and bustle of New York.

Giselle is back in the singing and loverly land of Andalasia.

Now they must decide which is best.

Edward notices his beloved Nancy not acting so normal - she's singing and dancing.

Robert notices his fruity fiance is suddenly calm and very accustomed to New York life.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

I was and am in favor of Sam/Nathaniel myself.
That's hot.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

OK, here's my big post thing on a sequel for Enchanted. First off, I DO NOT want this film to be another take on a "typical" Disney fair tale and I certainly do not want to get into sloppy plots with charactres made up to duplicate the plot of the first movie all over again or change a personality for the sake of justifying a sequel. I want new territory to be covered with this film.

But what to cover? Well looking at Disney's catalog of titles one story focus that is often repeated outside of the "princess in trouble" plot are coming of age stories featuring boys and or animals. The Sword in the Stone, Jungle Book, Old Yeller, Pinocchio, The Black Cauldron and others feature male leads who learn responsibility and a bit about growing up through a particular adventure. It's a tried and true formula that is always appealing and would provide an opportunity for plenty of references to be done and to have twists done to it.

So for my Enchanted sequel I want the movies to revolve around the son of Edward and Nancy (obligatory sequel child I know, but here me out). The story would start in Andalasia with the lead character begin trained in all things cartoon royalty are expected to do. Unlike Wart or Taran however, the son character (let's call him Joe for now to make this easy) has zero interest in learning any kind of self defense because Narissa is gone and Andalasia is now about as threatening as Giselle. he also despises singing of any kind. Pip is the only character there he cares about and eventually one day he becomes so fed up with everyone he decides to ditch them. Pip knows how to get to NYC and so he sends him there thinking his friend might be happier.

Once in NYC however, Joe quickly finds out that danger is more immanent than he once thought. Without understanding it he stumbles upon a group of drug dealers* who have secretly gotten their biggest haul yet and have found a place to store it. No one knows about it besides them and Joe and they are not about to let Joe squeal to the cops about him. Narrowly escaping the dealers he find shelter with Giselle, Robert and Morgan (the only people in NYC who wouldn't be surprised to see someone in Anadalasian garb) where he then comes to terms with his problems. In the rest of the film, Joe decides to face responsibility learn his duties and becomes someone his parents can be proud of. Of course the climax would involve him acting quite dashing and Princely as he puts the dealers behind bars and ends any of the drugs from getting into people's hands.

The middle section of the film would provide plenty of opportunity for song montages (gradually begin sung by Joe himself), but they should be more along the lines of "That's What Makes the World Go Round", "I'll make a Man Out of You" or the non-Disney "Learn to Do It" than any Princess love ballad. Of course Menken and Schawrtz should return to write the songs for the sequel

*Before you complain about drug dealers in a Disney film, realize that Disney has done it before in a PG context with Tex and could do it again here. The dealers would be far more appropriate for this film than a rehash of the people who exploit magical/unusual stuff for money crowd that has been done to death before and there is no need to make another Andalasian villain for this film and having one would just come off as lazy and unoriginal. Besides the climax with the dealers could involve any number of situations ranging from car chases to fights in warehouses. Lots could be done and of course the drugs themselves would never be glamorized or put in a positive light, but at the same time Joe for example would never have to give a 20 minute speech about why drugs are bad to the kids. Like the Nazis in Bedknobs and Broomsticks, there's no need to explain who are the bad guys to the kids, but the adults appreciate the more complex aspects of the villains.

So in short, that's what I want from the sequel.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That's an interesting idea, Flanger-Hanger--I would actually like that. Going on about children coming-of-age stories, I could see a sequel centering around Morgan possibly. Mostly because the first movie centered around a woman and people will expect an extension of that, having a girl--Morgan--would work better, I feel. And I think it would actually go with how the first movie touched on some controversial things people feel Disney has portrayed in the past (like how Morgan and Giselle talk about their non-existent mothers), a sequel could show a "princess" saving herself. Which so many complain doesn't happen often enough in Disney films (not that I agree, but it is something heard a lot).

Also, reading tsom's post, I thought it would be interesting if Nancy actually morphed into a villainess. I don't know if they would ever do that, but it would be interesting if Nancy brought evil and cynicism into the innocent Anadalasia (well, innocent without Narissa). Thinking of it, that kind of reminds me of Jadis the White Witch introducing evil into the world of Narnia after being transported from her previous world. I think it would be interesting, and maybe they would focus on what people consider a lack of depth to most of Disney's villains that way (showing that Nancy was not always evil, etc.).

Just ideas going on in my mind. I'm not a collosal Enchanted fan, so I've never really thought much about a possible sequel storyline.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

These are all good ideas, but Flanger-Hanger's has the most merit. One question: exactly how do you think Disney would ever portray drug dealers?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Disney's Divinity wrote:That's an interesting idea, Flanger-Hanger--I would actually like that. Going on about children coming-of-age stories, I could see a sequel centering around Morgan possibly. Mostly because the first movie centered around a woman and people will expect an extension of that, having a girl--Morgan--would work better, I feel. And I think it would actually go with how the first movie touched on some controversial things people feel Disney has portrayed in the past (like how Morgan and Giselle talk about their non-existent mothers), a sequel could show a "princess" saving herself. Which so many complain doesn't happen often enough in Disney films (not that I agree, but it is something heard a lot).

Also, reading tsom's post, I thought it would be interesting if Nancy actually morphed into a villainess. I don't know if they would ever do that, but it would be interesting if Nancy brought evil and cynicism into the innocent Anadalasia (well, innocent without Narissa). Thinking of it, that kind of reminds me of Jadis the White Witch introducing evil into the world of Narnia after being transported from her previous world. I think it would be interesting, and maybe they would focus on what people consider a lack of depth to most of Disney's villains that way (showing that Nancy was not always evil, etc.).

Just ideas going on in my mind. I'm not a collosal Enchanted fan, so I've never really thought much about a possible sequel storyline.
I could see a Morgan plot begin done too. There's no need to cast a new actor or develop his or her character and the story would still have the marketable girly princess side. I just think a story about a male character would make the situation more appealing and marketable to boys in addition to girls who already love Giselle and would like to see her in a new story. Though, they'll probably just use Morgan.

As for Nancy, her becoming evil (in the same way Narissa was) sounds to implausible, be her cynicism affecting Andalaisa sounds more plausible and interesting. However, I wouldn't expect to see much of the sequel plot happening in Anadlasia as that would require more time and money to do more animation.

Getting back to my idea, the age of Joe (I'll fix the name later, or take suggestions!) would be between 12-15. That way he could be old enough to be a kind of moody teen while not begin subjected to begin "sexed-up" for marketing sake and still having a boyish sense of naivete about him.

Finally, I really hope the don't call this "Enchanted 2" as that's just really lazy and sounds incredibly childish. "Twice Enchanted" would also be cheesey and wouldn't make sense unless it involved say, Nancy understanding Andalasia better or something.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

ajmrowland wrote:These are all good ideas, but Flanger-Hanger's has the most merit. One question: exactly how do you think Disney would ever portray drug dealers?
Just show them as brute back alley thugs who talk of "shipments" and "stuff". There's no need to show people doing drugs or labeling them (calling it cocaine for example), just make it clear through visuals to the kids that they are bad guys and to the adults that they are drug dealers. Disney wouldn't have to dig deep into the issue and there would be no suggestion of drugs begin desirable (certainly not on the part of kids). Of course some soccer moms would b*itch but they can go watch Barney instead.

And even if the film got a PG-13 rating in the US, would that be so bad? Disney is already releasing movies with that rating and since PG-13 is the new PG it wouldn't be so dreadful. Not to mention kids who saw the first film would be older now and would want a slightly more mature plot and adults would find it more appealing, just like there were plot points and jokes that were more adult in the first film.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

PatrickvD wrote:It needs Amy Adams, Alen Menken and traditional animation back for round 2. Otherwise I'm not excited.

It's that old school stuff that made Enchanted what it is.
I completely agree, except I don't want an overslaught of animation. They did a good job on Enchanted by keeping it to a minimum, which is not always a bad thing *coughMaryPoppinscough*. I don't know if they could come up with a plot that would be worthwhile, though, so we'll wait and see.

I just might not be surprised to see Amy Adams pass this up, also, and without her (and Dempsey), it could ruin the movie.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I love, love, loved ENCHANTED, so I'll really be looking forward to the sequel. Perhaps it could more closely follow Nancy and Prince Edward in their new life as citizens of Andalasia; though I agree, unless Amy Adams returns, it won't be nearly as enjoyable.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

ajmrowland wrote:These are all good ideas, but Flanger-Hanger's has the most merit.
Haha, oh well. I tried. It's really hard to come with a good sequel idea since the first movie ended perfectly! :-)
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

tsom wrote:Haha, oh well. I tried. It's really hard to come with a good sequel idea since the first movie ended perfectly! :-)
Indeed when it comes right down to it I'd prefer no sequel be made at all, but at least we can try to think up something good to justify there begin one, Even if no one in Disney will care for out opinions (where can I contact Kevin Lima?).
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Not really sure about this. Hope it turns out good and doesn't go direct to DVD.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Quite honestly, the most likely place to find a sequel is the place where it's not called for. Shrek was good, Shrek 2 was good, but not really Shrek 3. Spidey 4 isn't needed because the ending scene of 3 was a good closing. I even remember when they spoofed sequels at the 2004 MTV Movie Awards as Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller tried to coax Peter Jackson into doing a 4th LOTR film. :lol:

Studios say "sequel" mostly when everyone else is crying foul at the idea, or desperately looking for a way it can be justified.
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

ajmrowland wrote:Quite honestly, the most likely place to find a sequel is the place where it's not called for. Shrek was good, Shrek 2 was good, but not really Shrek 3. Spidey 4 isn't needed because the ending scene of 3 was a good closing. I even remember when they spoofed sequels at the 2004 MTV Movie Awards as Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller tried to coax Peter Jackson into doing a 4th LOTR film. :lol:

Studios say "sequel" mostly when everyone else is crying foul at the idea, or desperately looking for a way it can be justified.
This is so true! I said the same thing about Hairspray 2 and people thought that I should give the producers the benefit of the doubt. Well I am sorry but, like Hairspray, Enchanted needs no sequel. The End! There is no plausible way to incorporate the animation, characters and music into something worth seeing. I don't see the original actors signing up for it either. Thank God people in the '60s didn't have this mentality or we'd be seeing a sequel to Mary Poppins and I'm sure if Julie Andrews could still sing, the idea would still be on the table!