Disenchanted

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: Disenchanted

Post by PatrickvD »

To me it’s mainly the animated sequences that look subpar. But I’m not sure if that’s a budget issue. How many studios out there are doing proper hand drawn animation? Disney can’t do it in-house so they have to outsource…. But where?

I’m sure there’s studios that do hand drawn. But this particular Disney feature style? I wouldn’t know.

I still maintain it looks of higher quality than Hocus Pocus 2 and even Pinocchio.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The premiere is being livestreamed right now on QVC+, a free shopping channel. You have to enter your email to access it.

Some of the costumes are on display at the premiere: https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/statu ... KX05ssAAAA
Last edited by D82 on Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

PatrickvD wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:24 pmI’m sure there’s studios that do hand drawn. But this particular Disney feature style? I wouldn’t know.
Duncan Studio and Sergio Pablos Studios do. Disney hired Duncan Studio for Mary Poppins Returns and their work was of much higher caliber. Why couldn't they have hired them again for Disenchanted?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Idina Menzel revealed at the premiere that she also recorded a version of "Love Power" for the end credits.

And speaking of songs, Patrick Dempsey said in an interview he had another musical number that ended up being cut. It seems many were. Although, Oscar Nuñez, who plays the magic mirror was asked about his deleted song on the red carpet and he refused to talk about it and said something like "that was from the press event", which makes me think it was probably just a joke and he never had any song.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:23 pmAnd speaking of songs, Patrick Dempsey said in an interview he had another musical number that ended up being cut. It seems many were.
Many songs were cut? Isn't it only two like Schwartz said, one for Menzel and one for Dempsey?
Although, Oscar Nuñez, who plays the magic mirror was asked about his deleted song on the red carpet and he refused to talk about it and said something like "that was from the press event", which makes me think it was probably just a joke and he never had any song.
Yeah, it makes sense he was kidding. He probably made up a little ditty that he was singing on set while drinking his cappuccino. :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:09 pm Many songs were cut? Isn't it only two like Schwartz said, one for Menzel and one for Dempsey?
Well, Adam Shankman's words in the article about the songs I shared before gave me that impression, as it seemed to me he was referring to other cut songs apart from the two that will be included in the soundtrack. However, reading it again I now realize he was probably talking about the musical numbers filmed, which people won't get to see for now, and not about the songs themselves.
However, Shankman teases that this wasn’t the most difficult number to film: “It was hard because of the sheer amount of people involved in it, but frankly there are numbers that we cut that were infinitely more challenging to me – but I absolutely loved them too.

“I hope one day we can share them through bonus content.” I’m sure if you ask to borrow Giselle’s Andalasian wishing wand you can ensure this happens Adam!
Source: https://www.zavvi.com/blog/interviews/d ... t-chapter/

Sotiris wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:09 pm Yeah, it makes sense he was kidding. He probably made up a little ditty that he was singing on set while drinking his cappuccino. :P
:lol: Yeah, I've watched a couple of interviews with him lately and he always seems to be half joking, so I'm not surprised it looks like it was just a joke. Plus, his part in the movie seems to be quite small; it didn't make much sense he was going to have his own solo.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for what you said about me, D82! Though sometimes I forget to respond to people who direct things at me. I just happen to make that mistake sometimes.

I think those two women who are Malvina's assistants really are like the ugly stepsisters like someone said (sorry, I forgot who it was!). They have very Anastasia and Drizella costumes in one scene. They also are once again awful costumes.

Sotiris, yes, why didn't they get Duncan Studio to do the animation for this?!

But, I love "Love Power"! That sounds like a fantastic song!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Social Reaction Roundup – “Disenchanted”
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... enchanted/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The version of Idina's song that has been released is the end credit one. Here it is. We'll have to wait a bit longer to listen to the in-film version.

By the way, I thought I saw Rachel Covey, the actress who played Morgan in the original, at the premiere and it turns out I wasn't mistaken:

Original Morgan Actress From 'Enchanted' Rachel Covey Supports New Morgan Star Gabriella Baldacchino at 'Disenchanted' Premiere
https://www.justjared.com/2022/11/17/or ... -premiere/

Farerb wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:53 pm Social Reaction Roundup – “Disenchanted”
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... enchanted/
The reactions are very mixed, and some of them are quite negative. I think the film will definitely have a rotten score, as we feared. I hope I'm among the ones who find it enjoyable, in spite of that.
Disney Duster wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:45 pm Thanks for what you said about me, D82! Though sometimes I forget to respond to people who direct things at me. I just happen to make that mistake sometimes.
That's completely normal. It happens to me too. But generally you tend to respond to everybody and be very attentive to people.
Disney Duster wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:45 pm I think those two women who are Malvina's assistants really are like the ugly stepsisters like someone said (sorry, I forgot who it was!). They have very Anastasia and Drizella costumes in one scene. They also are once again awful costumes.
I think in this case the awful costumes are probably on purpose, as the stepsisters they seem to be inspired by are generally portrayed as having bad taste.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm not that impressed with the song, I think it's FINE, but something that you would hear in the Eurovision.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:37 pm
PatrickvD wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:24 pmI’m sure there’s studios that do hand drawn. But this particular Disney feature style? I wouldn’t know.
Duncan Studio and Sergio Pablos Studios do. Disney hired Duncan Studio for Mary Poppins Returns and their work was of much higher caliber. Why couldn't they have hired them again for Disenchanted?
I thought Duncan closed after Mary Poppins Returns but googled them and you’re right, they would have been perfect for this.

I vaguely recall the film bankrupted them for some reason. Or there was some drama with Disney executives trash talking them.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

‘Disenchanted’ Producer Barry Josephson On Why ‘Enchanted’ Sequel Went Straight To Disney+ – Crew Call Podcast
https://deadline.com/2022/11/disenchant ... 235174622/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The soundtrack track list has been revealed. I don't think it's too spoilery as it seems there aren't any score tracks aside from the "Disenchanted Score Suite", and those are the ones whose titles usually reveal more about the plot. Apparently, there are seven songs and three reprises, plus the end credit version of Idina's song. Thankfully, the two cut songs are indeed included in this release.
1. Andalasia – Griffin Newman (4:30)
2. Even More Enchanted – Amy Adams (2:57)
3. The Magic of Andalasia – James Marsden & Idina Menzel (2:54)
4. Fairytale Life (The Wish) – Amy Adams (2:54)
5. Fairytale Life (After the Spell) – Amy Adams, Gabriella Baldacchino & Patrick Dempsey (4:03)
6. Perfect – Gabriella Baldacchino, Ann Harada, James Monroe Iglehart & Michael McCorry Rose (3:14)
7. Badder – Amy Adams & Maya Rudolph (3:21)
8. Love Power – Idina Menzel (4:16)
9. Love Power (Reprise) – Amy Adams (1:50)
10. Even More Enchanted (Finale) – Amy Adams (1:37)
11. Disenchanted Score Suite – Alan Menken (7:44)
12. Hard Times for Heroes (Demo) – Patrick Dempsey, Ann Harada, James Monroe Iglehart & Michael McCorry Rose (3:47)
13. Something Different This Year (Demo) – Gabriella Baldacchino & Kolton Stewart (3:36)
14. Love Power (End Credit Version) – Idina Menzel (2:58)
Source: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/11/17 ... -revealed/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Damn, they sing ‘Andalasia’ a lot haha.

Fairytale Life is beautiful. And somehow Amy Adams sounds even better than in the original. What a voice! She’s more of a highlight than Idina even and knocks out some crazy high notes.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Okay I gave it a couple listens and have to say this is a very strong original score. Maybe the first film’s music is slightly better, but this film just has more music. And it works brilliantly. I got Cinderella vibes from certain cues and melodies.

Amy and Gabriella sound amazing. And such a treat to hear a brand new Menken Disney score. Can’t wait to watch the film tomorrow.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New featurette, promo and stills:

Source: https://twitter.com/almanaquedisney/sta ... _g6JwsAAAA

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/03/movi ... -2022.html

Source: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertain ... 707889002/

PatrickvD wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:12 pm And somehow Amy Adams sounds even better than in the original. What a voice! She’s more of a highlight than Idina even and knocks out some crazy high notes.
I was impressed by that too. She did a great job.
PatrickvD wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:44 pm I got Cinderella vibes from certain cues and melodies.
Me too, and also from Sleeping Beauty or Alice in Wonderland, for example. I think there are more nods to Disney classics here than in the first film's music.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

D82, that is true that Anastasia and Drizella are supposed to have bad taste. I just look at the costumes in both the Disney animated 1950 and the Disney live-action 2015 Cinderellas, and their costumes are tasteless but really good, still. It's hard to explain.

I don't like the song "Love Power". Oh well.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The full song clip of "Even More Enchanted" has been released, as well as a clip from Giselle and Malvina's duet "Badder". All the songs are also available now on Disney Music VEVO.

Disney Duster wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:29 pm D82, that is true that Anastasia and Drizella are supposed to have bad taste. I just look at the costumes in both the Disney animated 1950 and the Disney live-action 2015 Cinderellas, and their costumes are tasteless but really good, still. It's hard to explain.
No, I totally get what you mean. Personally, I don't find the costumes of Malvina's minions here that bad, though the colors in particular are a bit garish.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I think one of the smartest things about Enchanted was the way they used the songs. There are only three diagetic songs, all of them are sung by Giselle, and usually have some tongue in cheek lyrics spoofing previous films, having exaggerated lines like "For lips are the only things that touch" - there was humor in them, sadly I don't hear the humor in Disenchanted's songs, they are pretty straight forward. In addition, the original used them as a narrative device cause when Giselle goes through her change, she stops singing. I know I've been critical of Dragon-Narissa, and I don't particularly care about Giselle spitting a fish, but I do think the original Enchanted was a really smart movie, and a good one. I think all these things may be lost in the sequel.

The songs are serviceable, I really liked both versions of Fairytale Life, and I definitely prefer the songs to the ones in Encanto, but I think they are a bit unremarkable, especially coming from Menken and Schwartz. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they didn't have the time to refine them or that the script didn't really inspire them.