Disenchanted

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disenchanted

Post by Disney Duster »

I actually like the "I Want" song peasant costume Morgan is wearing. I think it's actually another good costume.

Thank you D82 for all those Mona May interviews, videos, and images, I finally got through all of them and they were very wonderful to look at!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New TV spots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUlPefO18A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJMHZDJI0Ss

More articles have also been released. One of them reveals an interesting detail about Giselle's spell we hadn't heard about yet:
Unfortunately, the more magic she uses, the more she becomes a more wicked stepmother fairytale presence.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/1101594/disen ... ey-movies/

And in this other one, Alan Menken and Idina Menzel talk about Nancy's cut songs from the original and her solo in the sequel:
When asked if he considered the importance of letting Menzel sing this time around, Menken answered with an emphatic "Yes, yes, yes!" before attempting to explain why on earth the star didn't get a solo the first time around. "We had two attempts in the first movie to do that," the composer said. "There are two songs we wrote for the first movie and we just couldn't get them in." One of the songs was "Enchanted," a tune the pair have spoken about before. Back in 2007, Menken told SciFi Wire that lyricist Stephen Schwartz wanted to end the film with a song named after its title, one that would capture Nancy and Edward's love story.

According to Menken's interview with SciFi Wire, "On practical terms, it was just really extremely difficult that late in the game to deliver that kind of song." In the same previous interview, Mendel points out that the two New York-based characters, who in the film find the magical, musical world Giselle inhabits totally foreign, wouldn't naturally sing anyway. At the "Disenchanted" press conference, Josephson says that he called the decision "bad producing" in a meeting about the sequel with director Adam Shankman, while Menzel says they shot the "Enchanted" scene but knew it was likely to get cut.

"We shot one of them and I remember Jimmy said, 'This isn't gonna go in the movie,'" she recalls. "I was like, 'What do you mean, it's gonna get cut?' He's like, 'It's never gonna make it.'" Menzel, though, says the song she does end up with in "Disenchanted" is well worth the wait.

"It was just superfluous at the time because you were trying too hard and I really appreciate that," she told Menken in reference to his attempts to squeeze in a song for her back in 2007. "But now you made up for it in so many ways! I'm singing a song that I could barely sing live if I tried!"
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/1101567/disen ... he-sequel/

Disney Duster wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:11 pm Thank you D82 for all those Mona May interviews, videos, and images, I finally got through all of them and they were very wonderful to look at!
You're very welcome! I'm glad you liked them. :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:26 pmUnfortunately, the more magic she uses, the more she becomes a more wicked stepmother fairytale presence.
Interesting. Do you think Giselle doesn't realize this or does she, but she has trouble stopping? Does she get addicted to using magic?
D82 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:26 pm "There are two songs we wrote for the first movie and we just couldn't get them in."
I wish they would reveal more about the other song they wrote for Menzel.
D82 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:26 pmMenzel says they shot the "Enchanted" scene but knew it was likely to get cut.
If the entire sequence was shot, why on earth wasn't it released on home video as a bonus feature? It's not like it would cost Disney anything to include it on the Blu-ray as a deleted scene.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:41 pm Interesting. Do you think Giselle doesn't realize this or does she, but she has trouble stopping? Does she get addicted to using magic?
I don't know. In the first trailer, it seemed she had sudden switches between being good and evil. Maybe she uses the magic when she's in her "evil" state. And the more she uses it, probably the fewer and shorter "lucid" moments she has. A bit like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. That's just my guess. Also, I suppose she and Pip are the only ones who are aware they're under a spell (at least at first), while all the other characters are like hypnotized and don't remember any other reality.

By the way, talking about evil Giselle reminded me there were a couple of things I wanted to say regarding the clip where she realizes she's turning into a wicked stepmother. The first one is a bit of speculation. Has she ordered a dress made of rags for Morgan in that scene? I guess that's a reference to Cinderella's ripped dress, but I don't know if it totally works. I guess Nancy transforms it into a normal dress later during her song "Love Power", as some shots seem to suggest, and acts a bit like a fairy godmother.

The other thing I wanted to mention is about the house. I had already noticed it was a bit reminiscent of Cinderella's chateau on the outside, but I've now realized its interior is too, especially the columns.

Sotiris wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:41 pm I wish they would reveal more about the other song they wrote for Menzel.
Me too, I'm very curious about it and its place in the movie. Well, at least we now know of its existence. We didn't even know that before.
Sotiris wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:41 pm If the entire sequence was shot, why on earth wasn't it released on home video as a bonus feature? It's not like it would cost Disney anything to include it on the Blu-ray as a deleted scene.
Yeah, it's a shame they didn't include it. Maybe they were saving it for a future collector's edition that was never released?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Good catches on the Cinderella chateau homages, D82! You're so smart as well!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

We can finally hear Patrick Dempsey and Gabriella Baldacchino sing in this new clip: https://twitter.com/FreeformTV/status/1 ... 8790981638

A new article by Disney about the characters also gives some new info about Robert:
Disney Legend Patrick Dempsey returns as Giselle’s husband, Robert, who had a lot to learn about the magic of life in Enchanted. Now, he’s adjusting to married life and a new home.

Dempsey explains, “They’ve moved to suburbia, and Robert has to commute into the city for work. He is wondering what he is doing with his life, as he needs more meaning. Then a spell is cast, and he suddenly becomes a fairytale version of himself. He becomes a knight on a quest, which he thinks gives him a purpose.”

His fairytale self is less serious and more swashbuckler—and he’s not afraid to break into song. Director Adam Shankman explains, “Patrick is singing and dancing and doing all sorts of stuff that he never thought he was ever going to do.”

Unlike his character, Robert, Dempsey couldn’t wait to burst into song: “That was the best part of the entire movie because I had to challenge myself in different ways. I have never really sung before, so it was all about finding my voice and working with the dancing.”

Idina Menzel explains a bit more about her song in it as well:
While Nancy famously did not sing in Enchanted, she has her own musical number in the new film. “‘Love Power’ is a beautiful ballad that tells an integral part of the story,” Menzel explains. “Nancy encourages Morgan to find love and embrace Giselle. It is an opportunity to grow Morgan’s character and bring her closer to Giselle in their mother-daughter story.”

And here's an interview with Alan Menken and Adam Shankman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PrnWr-O7g

Disney Duster wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:18 pm Good catches on the Cinderella chateau homages, D82! You're so smart as well!
Thanks! You are too! :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:11 pm We can finally hear Patrick Dempsey and Gabriella Baldacchino sing in this new clip.
The song seems to be inspired by Be Our Guest with a little dash of Galavant for Patrick's part.
D82 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:11 pm Idina Menzel explains a bit more about her song in it as well.
This song is the one I'm looking forward to the most. I was under the impression it was a love song, perhaps sung after Nancy gets separated from Edward, but evidently that's not the case. I really do hope there's a love song in the film. A duet between Morgan and her love interest would be great and it would make perfect sense given the curse has turned her into a Disney princess.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

robert singing just feels...wrong somehow. lol
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I've been checked out of this thread for a while. There are so many posts and pictures, I don't have the energy to sort through and read / load it all. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this this Friday! I'm not expecting the world because I don't think the original movie was "great," just a fun time. Only Amy Adams, James Marsden, and "That's How You Know" were stand-outs from that movie for me, "Happy Working Song" was cute and "So Close" was alright, hated Sarandon's character and Dempsey was stiff as a board. Hopefully it'll be a cute movie, that's all I'm really looking for. I expected more for Hocus Pocus 2 than this, tbh.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I know that my comment will most likely seem shallow, but I find Patrick Dempsey more attractive in the videos seen for the sequel than he was in the first Enchanted. I found him to be downright unattractive and plain-looking in the first movie (as opposed to what he was in Grey`s Anatomy). He`s certainly better-looking here.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:47 pm The song seems to be inspired by Be Our Guest with a little dash of Galavant for Patrick's part.
Yes, it's clearly a tribute to "Be Our Guest". The music also reminded me a bit of "Human Again". And you're right Patrick's part sounds a bit like Galavant. I hadn't noticed that. I guess this song takes place the first morning after Giselle makes her wish. I wonder if the images of her dancing in the street, where she's wearing the same dress, are also part of the same musical number that continues outside the house or if that's another song. By the way, I was wrong about the shot of Morgan cleaning the floor belonging to her solo, as it appeared in this clip. Though, at least I got it right it was from a musical number.
Sotiris wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:47 pm This song is the one I'm looking forward to the most. I was under the impression it was a love song, perhaps sung after Nancy gets separated from Edward, but evidently that's not the case. I really do hope there's a love song in the film. A duet between Morgan and her love interest would be great and it would make perfect sense given the curse has turned her into a Disney princess.
I think Idina's song is the one I'm most curious about too. A duet between Morgan and her love interest would indeed make sense, but they barely appear together in the footage we've seen so far, and it seems the movie will mainly focus on the mother-daughter relationship between Giselle and Morgan, so I suspect the romance will be quite secondary. We'll see, though. Perhaps, they just haven't shown any of that not to spoil too much about the plot.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh man, seeing Robert's costume in full, now I don't like it. However, I still like Morgan's peasant working song dress.

D82, thanks for saying that, and I just want to say, I love how you respond to all posts directed at you and that you are so thorough in all your posts and so thoughtful in them.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Amy + Maya on Jimmy Kimmel:
https://youtu.be/NRukEoZePug
(Movie clip around the 6:40 mark)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sneak peek at "Love Power":
https://youtu.be/G-jb7OmNtWw

The song is fine, the animation is dreadful.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The song's really nice. Menzel wasn't kidding when she said there's no way she can sing this song live. She held that last high note for so long, I got scared for her well-being. :P

I already commented on the animation. It's more of the same. Edward's animation in particular is painful to watch. :|
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The troll from the first film appears to be on-model…. so there’s that haha

The song sounds pretty good. Idina’s singing her guts out as usual. Still looking forward to this in spite of certain elements being off.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:24 am Sneak peek at "Love Power":
https://youtu.be/G-jb7OmNtWw
I also think it sounds really good. I definitely see the "Defying Gravity" inspiration Menken mentioned, but it's still its own thing. In the description of the video it says the song will be available tonight as a single. I can't wait to listen to it in full!

The video also gives us a better look at Morgan in animated form, as before we had only seen her from behind. I think she looks OK. It's true that Edward in particular hasn't looked too good in the animation of him we've seen so far. I'm glad that the ogre is back, though. And could the fairies in the last picture below be a reference to Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather?

Disney Duster wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:30 pm D82, thanks for saying that, and I just want to say, I love how you respond to all posts directed at you and that you are so thorough in all your posts and so thoughtful in them.
That's so nice of you to say. Thank you, Disney Duster. I've always admired that about you too, how you never forget to respond to others and how kind and respectful you always are.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

This new article gives us more details about the songs: Giselle and Malvina's duet is called "Badder" and has a rumba style, Robert's song is called "Hard Time For Heroes" (I'm not sure if it's the one we've heard or a solo) and they say the biggest musical set piece is "A Fairytale Life". More details on the link.

The beginning of the article is also interesting. Producer Barry Josephson, reveals that the studio wanted to make a sequel right away but it didn't happen back then mainly because Amy Adams got very busy. But according to him, also due to the director having other work as well. So, apparently, at first they wanted Kevin Lima to direct it.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, to give my thoughts about the two sequences: The rest of the song with Patrick Dempsey singing was fine. Sure, it was goofy and over the top to see him do those cartoony and exaggerated movements, but it wasn`t jarring or strange to see him do it. Otherwise, the rest of the sequence reminded me of Beauty and the Beast with it`s anthropomorphized objects. As for Love Power, it was a good song. But I`m still a little torn about the animation. The animals and the troll looked stunningly bad, but Nancy and Morgan looked fine. In fact, the animated Morgan reminded me of Tarzan`s human mother. While it would be easy to frown at the animation, let`s remember that not all hand drawn animation who gets released theatrically looks brilliant (*cough, Space Jam A New Legacy, cough*).

Either way, I`m still excited for it and the previews looks promising, overall.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The producer claims that Disney told him to make the sequel as if it were a theatrical film. I'm not sure I buy it given the subpar production values.
“When I got the call, ‘What do you think of this being a streaming film?’, for me, I was excited,” the producer explains. “I also understood there are all these streaming services, and for Disney to be the preeminent streaming family service, why not make things exclusively streaming? Two and two made four to me.” “They did say to me, ‘you’re going to make this movie as if you’ve done it as a feature film for the box office.’ That excited me.” “It didn’t mean we were shrinking our idea down,” he continues, “The service is spending a considerable amount of money for their subscribers.”
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/11/disenchant ... 235174622/