Julie Andrews Discussion Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

tsom wrote:Julie Andrews, Zina Goldrich, and Marcy Heisler are three of my favoritest musical theater people ever! This is amazing news!

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/ ... rens-book/
That's great news! Thanks for the link, tsom. It would be lovely to see a performance in person, wouldn't it?
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

UmbrellaFish wrote:
tsom wrote:Julie Andrews, Zina Goldrich, and Marcy Heisler are three of my favoritest musical theater people ever! This is amazing news!

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/ ... rens-book/
That's great news! Thanks for the link, tsom. It would be lovely to see a performance in person, wouldn't it?
It would be so great to see! This is a dream team. I think Sound of Music is Marcy Heisler's favorite movie, so to get a chance to work with someone you loved growing up has to be a wonderful feeling. And I know the music is going to be amazing because Marcy & Zina's songs are incredible.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Time for a Julie news update!

Julie recently attended the Publicist Awards Luncheon to present an award to Arlene Ludwig who was celebrating fifty years at Disney Studios.

Her dear friend, Carol Burnett, was also there to pickup a Lifetime Achievement Award.

And on March 18th, Julie will be honored by the Professional Dancer Society.

Julie’s media presence will really kick up when National Princess Week beings on April 23rd. For those not in the know, National Princess Week is an initiative set up by Dame Julie, Target, and Disney to promote the Princess in every little girl. And to sell merchandise…

She will be at the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books on April 21st and 22nd.

Also during National Princess Week, Julie and her daughter Emma will release the latest book in the bestselling Very Fairy Princess series, The Very Fairy Princess: Here Comes the Flower Girl!.

We can expect more appearances and book signings to be announced as the time comes.

Also on the schedule, The Princess Diaries: Two-Movie Collection Blu-Ray has been announced and is scheduled for release on May 15th. Three more books have been announced for the end of the year, Julie Andrews’ Seasonal Treasury: Poems and Songs to Celebrate the Year, a companion to Julie Andrews’ Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies, an additional Little Bo book, Little Bo in London, and another Very Fairy Princess installment, The Very Fairy Princess: A Christmas Reader. And don't forget, Julie is set to direct a musical adaptation of her book, The Great American Mousical!

It’s shaping up to be quite a Julie-filled year!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Exciting news! According to their Facebook page, Twilight Time, the collector's label who releases Blu-rays of older movies that the big studios might sit on, is possibly eyeing a release of Star!.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Is it as bad as the history books claim it is?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

tsom wrote:Is it as bad as the history books claim it is?
Certainly not. It's infamous mainly because it flopped so terribly. At the time it got rather good reviews, especially in Britain. The movie isn't without its flaws, of course, but it's one that any Julie fan has to see, for her incredible performance in it. In terms of pure skill and variety, Star! is probably Julie's best musical performance.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I would love to have been Julie Andrews this past weekend! Two airings of The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, multiple airings of Enchanted, the Shrek sequels, and The Princess Diaries movies. Pretty sure she's getting a check for all these airings!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Julie has been absolutely everywhere to support National Princess Week this week, and last week. You can't watch TV this week without seeing Julie.

However, Julie made a very special appearance on The Colbert Report. Enjoy!-

<div><div><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgi ... com:413133" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><b>The Colbert Report</b> <br>Get More: <a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/'>Colbert Report Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/video'>Video Archive</a></p></div></div>
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

Thank you for sharing the Colbert interview, LOVED IT! Julie is always such a kick and Accentuate the Positive is my all time favorite song so that was a treat.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Julie Andrews Discussion Thread

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It's been more than a year since last I updated this thread! That's not right!

But there is big news...

THE DAME IS IN AUSTRALIA!

Specifically, she's touring the country on a talking tour in an "An Evening with Julie Andrews" providing a career retrospective and a Q+A. Her friend and moderator is Nicholas Hammond, who played Frederick in The Sound of Music. Some pictures below.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.25 KiB) Viewed 12275 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.02 KiB) Viewed 12275 times
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Nice find!
a-net-fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by a-net-fan »

Hmmmm....I really wish Julie would get on her autobiography Part II.
JUST ANOTHER 27 YEAR OLD DISNEY BUFF.....
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

a-net-fan wrote:Hmmmm....I really wish Julie would get on her autobiography Part II.
Me too, a-net-fan, me too. But Julie has done so much recently-- so much completely off the radar, that I can't count anything as off the table-- so I think there's hope.
nachonaco
Special Edition

Post by nachonaco »

My God, does this woman age?!?

She looks the exact same as she did when she was in Princess Diaries 12 years ago!
Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true
For you and me!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

She definitely has aged gracefully.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

I found these on Tumblr and want to share! I don't know what show they're from.
ImageImage
ImageImage
She's amazing! :D
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Thanks for posting that! I saw the original interview, it was an episode of The Colbert Report from either late last year or earlier this year. I don't remember, except it was after they announced "Mary Poppins" was closing on Broadway.

:D
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Julie Andrews just announced three tour dates in the UK for her "An Evening with Julie Andrews" retrospective show.

http://julieandrewslive.com

Also, despite the upcoming BD release of Mary Poppins, theatrical release of Saving Mr. Banks, and television premiere of The Sound of Music Live!, Julie has not been booked for any of the usual TV interview rounds. However, she was recently featured in Carol Burnett's Mark Twain ceremony as aired on PBS, and will also host the 2014 New Year's Day Vienna Philharmonic Concert again on PBS.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It's the Dame's 79th Birthday! Let's honor the woman who has brought such supercalifragilisticexpialidocious work into our lives.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I know it has been said before but she looks damn amazing. Happy Birthday Julie!
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.