Pinocchio (Jim Henson)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Pinocchio (Jim Henson)

Post by PeterPanfan »

Guillermo del Toro’s developing with the Jim Henson Co. a darker version of the “Pinocchio” fairy tale as a stop-motion feature.

Project will be produced by JHC co-toppers Brian Henson and Lisa Henson along with senior VP Jason Lust. Del Toro will exec produce.

Del Toro’s working on the screenplay with Gris Grimly, who illustrated a 2002 version of “Pinocchio.” Grimly and Adam Parrish King will co-direct the film.

Del Toro disclosed the project in an interview with the website Bloodydisgusting.com and said that it would take about three years to complete.
Source - https://variety.com/2008/film/markets-f ... 117995936/
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Guillermo Del Toro's 'Pinocchio' Info & Concept Art
http://www.movieweb.com/news/guillermo- ... ept-photos

First Look at the Pinocchio Puppet
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/26/ ... -del-toro/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I...hate the designs. A lot. If other people like them and think they're great, fine. But to me, they aren't good. They don't even look like people, but, just elongated sticks with lots of other elongated features sticking out. It's going to be hard for me to accept them as characters.

And wtf is with these horror-loving guys thinking that all it takes to make a great movie is being dark and gritty and accentuating the bad stuff. That is so unecessary. The message of Pinocchio has not always been "you must be forced to do good by going through horrors that scare the sh*t out of you" it was more about "people do bad and good, but we love them anyway and we can strive to be as good as we can be in return". Sigh.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

It looks pretty good but it's Del Toro after all. I'm looking forward to when he decides to direct again.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Great look, classic tale... Bound to be a suc6!
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Guillermo Del Toro will co-direct "Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio" with Mark Gustafson, animation director on "The Fantastic Mr. Fox," as a 3D stop-motion animated production of the Jim Henson Company. Del Toro told Variety that he plans to begin shooting in the summer of 2013. It's the first time he's directed an animated feature. Story will be set in Italy between WWI and WWII. "It was when everyone was behaving like a puppet, except for puppets," Del Toro said.

Del Toro disclosed in 2008 that he had began working on a Pinnochio project with Henson and Gris Grimly, who illustrated a 2002 version of "Pinocchio." At that point, Grimly and Adam Parrish King were attached to co-direct; last year, Del Toro and Henson Co. announced that Grimly would co-direct with Gustafson.

Del Toro said Wednesday that he has gradually come around to the idea of co-directing due to the complexity of the project -- which will require a year to shoot. He's currently in post-production on "Pacific Rim" for Warner Bros. and is planning to work on a re-design for "Pinocchio."

"Little by little, I realized that I should direct," he added, noting that the story has had a profound influence on him -- to the point of collecting puppets along with original art from Disney's 1940 "Pinocchio."

The story is by Del Toro, frequent collaborator Matthew Robbins and Grimly with Pinocchio embarking on a series of adventures and proving himself to be as indestructible as his love for his father. Robbins wrote the screenplay.
Source: https://variety.com/2012/film/news/del- ... 118053758/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:Del Toro said Wednesday that he has gradually come around to the idea of co-directing due to the complexity of the project -- which will require a year to shoot. He's currently in post-production on "Pacific Rim" for Warner Bros. and is planning to work on a re-design for "Pinocchio."
Thank goodness. Told ya the design was bad.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Various stuff floating around has his ideal voice cast including Daniel Ratcliffe for Pinocchio, Tom Waits as Geppetto, Ron Perlman as the Stromboli counterpart, and Donald Sutherland and Christopher Walken as the Fox and the Cat.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

For One, I love Radcliffe, but would prefer to have a kid do the voice.

For another, was the Fox and the Cat a Disney invention? I forget.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

The concept art for the characters are absolutely stunning! They really are taking advantage of animation and pushing caricature designs. With Del Toro's intense storytelling skills plus stop-motion, this is one feature I am dying to see.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

ajmrowland wrote:For another, was the Fox and the Cat a Disney invention? I forget.
No. Their names were created for the Disney movie, but the characters existed in the original story.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Sotiris

Re: Pinocchio (Jim Henson)

Post by Sotiris »

After all these years, the puppet is finally becoming a real boy!
Fresh off his Oscar win for “The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro is set to make his animated feature film directing debut. Del Toro has received the green light from Netflix to film “Pinocchio,” a stop motion musical version of the classic children’s tale about a puppet who wants to be a real live boy. He will write and produce the film in addition to directing it. The film will be set in Italy during the 1930s, a particularly fraught historical moment and a time when fascism was on the rise and Benito Mussolini was consolidating control of the country. Production on “Pinocchio” will begin this fall.

“No art form has influenced my life and my work more than animation and no single character in history has had as deep of a personal connection to me as Pinocchio,” said del Toro in a statement. “In our story, Pinocchio is an innocent soul with an uncaring father who gets lost in a world he cannot comprehend. He embarks on an extraordinary journey that leaves him with a deep understanding of his father and the real world. I’ve wanted to make this movie for as long as I can remember.”

Del Toro will collaborate on “Pinocchio” with the Jim Henson Company, the company behind “The Dark Crystal” and ShadowMachine, the creator of “Bojack Horseman.” Lisa Henson, ShadowMachine’s Alex Bulkley, Corey Campodonico, and Gary Ungar of Exile Entertainment will produce the film. Blanca Lista will co-produce it. Patrick McHale (“Over The Garden Wall”) will co-write the script, and Mark Gustafson (“Fantastic Mr. Fox”) will co-direct the movie. Guy Davis will serve as co-production designer and the film’s puppets will be built by Mackinnon and Saunders, the team behind “Corpse Bride.”

“Throughout his distinguished career, Guillermo has exhibited mastery in inspiring people through his magical worlds filled with unforgettable and magnificent characters, from the monsters in ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ to the aquatic beast in ‘The Shape of Water,'” Melissa Cobb, VP of kids and family at Netflix, said in a statement. “We are incredibly excited to expand our relationship with Guillermo and we know that his deeply touching vision for bringing Pinocchio to life on Netflix will be embraced by audiences the world over.”
Source: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/guil ... 202987621/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Wow, what a perfect fairytale to get a film adaptation at this moment in time. The jokes will practically write themselves on Colbert, Fallon, Kimmel, etc.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Guillermo del Toro said his upcoming Pinocchio project for Netflix will be a political parable, and not the kid-friendly fare of the competing Disney remake.

“It's not a Pinocchio for all the family,” he said of his story, set in 1930s Italy. So is it a political film? “Of course. Pinocchio during the rise of Mussolini, do the math. A puppet during the rise of fascism, yes, it is.”

Del Toro was speaking from the Marrakech Film Festival, where he is set to give a masterclass this week. This darker turn on the fable is perhaps not surprising from the Pan's Labyrinth director, who compared the puppet who longs to be a real boy to Frankenstein's monster. “He's a creature that is created through unnatural means from a father that he then distances [himself] from, and has to learn about failure and pain and loneliness,” he said, noting that he chose stop-motion animation for the project because it's “more expressive” than working with actors.

While del Toro is resistant to making an overtly political film, the Oscar-winner said that he finds fantasy films always end up with political messages. “There's no fable without politics,” he said, citing the gender and class struggles of stories such as Cinderella and Snow White, and even the message of his own The Shape of Water. “Rarely can you get in productive discussions in real life right now it's so tense,” he said. “It's much easier for you to listen to me if I tell you 'Once upon a time...'”
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ke-1165632
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Guillermo del Toro Compares His 'Pinocchio' to Frankenstein: 'No Pinocchio Will Be Like This'
https://www.etonline.com/guillermo-del- ... -exclusive
Disney's Divinity

Looking forward to it! :D Pinocchio as a story has a great deal of nightmare fuel, and I'm glad he's embracing the horror. I think this could end up being the best version of it after the animated Walt Disney film. :up:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Guillermo del Toro’s ‘Pinocchio’ Will Feature Ewan McGregor as the Voice of Jiminy Cricket
https://www.slashfilm.com/ewan-mcgregor ... pinocchio/
Disney's Divinity

That's an interesting choice... Maybe I have the Disney character too much in my head to imagine it easily. :lol: I think McGregor will do fine though.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

That's a GREAT VOICE CAST !!! :D :D
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I think it’s likely Tilda Swinton is voiceing the Blu Fariy or The Fairy with Turquoise Hair as She was called in the orginal Book.