Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, then it wasn't so good J.K. Rowling kept them in the dark about what happens to him, so they could at least slip him in one other film and makes us care we're watching this guy die, let alone remember him.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Dobby was also in Half-Blood Prince with Kreacher and they were both cut from that film. a cut that may have made that one better but ultimately damaged Deathly Hallows.

and Goblet of Fire(the book) was written in 2000, 5 years before the film version, which largely works well enough as is.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks, but it seems they should have kept them in Half-Blood Prince. Just that one point. Which would only make it like what, 3 more minutes longer?
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Disney Duster wrote:Well, then it wasn't so good J.K. Rowling kept them in the dark about what happens to him, so they could at least slip him in one other film and makes us care we're watching this guy die, let alone remember him.
This is not the first time that this has happened. I'm sure that general audiences were slightly confused when we went basically an entire movie without seeing Sirius (that fire scene in GoF was practically nothing) and then suddenly he shows up in OotP and Harry's acting like Sirius is his hero, hence his death being sadder at the end of the movie. We weren't around Sirius long enough to feel as much about his death as Harry does.

On the contrary, because Dumbledore is such a prominent character in every movie, his death held a LOT of gravity. I'm hoping that this gravity is applied to Fred's and Lupin's deaths. I fear that, due to lack of sufficient screen time or characterization, we won't feel that much over Tonk's death.

I feel that, while it's true Dobby's absence for 5 consecutive movies hurt the audience's sympathy for him, his death scene was done so well (and his presence was pretty memorable from CoS) that it made up for it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think all of Dobby's scenes in this last movie actually did work very well to make us feel for him. It's just that, in the back of my mind, I felt I had known him from more movies, but it was probably from the books, and I wonder if other audience members missed that feeling.

I actually wonder if the fact we had two Dumbledore's and that means the first one died slightly marred his death in the film. Not only that, but the new Dumbledore's difference in character (the way he acted it) and particularly how he acted in the last one, and the face he made as he died...mayeb it's just me, but I really think they could have made him more sympathetic and given him a better, more touching death.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I just think that giving more screentime to Dumbledore, and Dobby and a little to Sirius would've ended up better. I personally think that the movies arent exactly tied together the way the books are. In the books for Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire, there were scenes at the end of each book that clearly set up portions of the next book-both of which had Dumbledore. A conversation between Harry and DD after Lupin leaves, speculating the possibility of Voldemort's return, and Fudge's initial reaction to Harry's story. I feel both of those could've been tackled in 2 minutes without breaking the flow of either movie. Likewise, having Kreacher and Dobby trailing Draco in Half-Blood Prince would've been benefitial to Deathly Hallows. Not to mention the Snape/Harry relationship.

Naturally, it seems like the filmmakers focused a little too much on the individual films rather than the series as a whole.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

So, Leakycon is coming up and I might be going this time!!!!! :pink:

Just need to know how much registration costs at the moment, but my Sister agreed to go with me and my mom also thinks it would be a nice b-day present(mine's the day before it starts). I'm as excited as a fangirl!!!!

and I'm a 20 yr-old guy, so that's saying something.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

ajmrowland wrote:So, Leakycon is coming up and I might be going this time!!!!! :pink:
Ahh, you're so lucky!!! I hope you enjoy yourself! :D
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Yeah, the prices are $60 a day, $200 full, $350 Rock Star Full(includes meet n'greets), with an addition $50-$125 for Lit-day.

When you factor two people in, I guess Disney World's out of the picture. :(

But I'm excited still :D
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

New footage from ABC during the showing of Sorcerer's Stone tonight!
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 2&comments

The Gringotts cart redesign is so cool! Too bad they did not use the first film's design, I really, really love consistency.
mokka456
Limited Issue

Post by mokka456 »

Here's a Tangled commercial from French:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWrx-rdGtts
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

mokka456 wrote:Here's a Tangled commercial from French:

Uhh....I think you meant to post this in a differ section of the forums :wink:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
mokka456
Limited Issue

Post by mokka456 »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
mokka456 wrote:Here's a Tangled commercial from French:

Uhh....I think you meant to post this in a differ section of the forums :wink:
Haha, you're right!! sorry
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

With "HP7.1" coming out on Blu-ray and DVD this Friday (April 15), there are a lot of choices where to get the best deal.

After looking at all the ads on Sunday, looks like Best Buy is offering the best price and best extras - 24-page book and bonus disc with over an hour of extra features - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy/Bonus Disc (Best Buy Exclusive/24 page book A Look at the Making of the Tale of Three Brothers - $27.99.

Best Buy has single disc bare-bones Blu-ray for $16.99, plus there is the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy/Bonus Disc for $22.99.

All the other Harry Potter titles 1-6 on Blu-ray are just $9.99.

Looks like the best place to buy HP7.1 is going to be Best Buy this week.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

It's not out until Friday there? Wow... it's out here today, although the copy my brother's girlfriend ordered arrived last Friday (!) so we watched it over the weekend. Transfer looks excellent...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

dvdjunkie wrote:With "HP7.1" coming out on Blu-ray and DVD this Friday (April 15), there are a lot of choices where to get the best deal.

After looking at all the ads on Sunday, looks like Best Buy is offering the best price and best extras - 24-page book and bonus disc with over an hour of extra features - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy/Bonus Disc (Best Buy Exclusive/24 page book A Look at the Making of the Tale of Three Brothers - $27.99.

Best Buy has single disc bare-bones Blu-ray for $16.99, plus there is the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy/Bonus Disc for $22.99.

All the other Harry Potter titles 1-6 on Blu-ray are just $9.99.

Looks like the best place to buy HP7.1 is going to be Best Buy this week.
If anyone here gets the book, can they please scan it? I already pre-ordered the regular combo from Amazon for release-day delivery.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

ajmrowland wrote:
If anyone here gets the book, can they please scan it? I already pre-ordered the regular combo from Amazon for release-day delivery.
See what you miss when you can't wait until you see what the big stores are offering. The Best Buy release has a 'bonus disc' along with the 24-page book - and at $27.99 plus I have $10 in Reward Zone certificates, I am going to get it all for less than $20.

If you don't mind it being opened, I will sell you my copy of the book. Make me an offer that I can't refuse.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Just got back from Best Buy and I will tell you to read the ad a lot closer than I did.

You have a choice of "Harry Potter 7.1" either with a Bonus Disc (4-disc set) for $22.99 - OR - "Harry Potter 7.1" with a 24 - page book for $27.99.

I chose the bonus disc for $22.99 and I had a $10 gift certificate so it only cost me $12.99 plus tax.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Bought the barebones DVD for Deathly Hallows Part 1 at $13. (I'm not planning to buy anything expensive until they finally release extended versions a few years from now after they've done milked everything and have nothing else to sell)

It's easily the best in the film series (so far), so it wasn't a bad purchase for me.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

^ Yeah, that's exactly what I plan on doing. The cheapest I can find for prices is $16, where did you get yours?