Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I am so excited because I get to see this tonight. I've tried to not read some of the stuff on here, but I just had to (I guess it's a good thing that I have a terrible short-term memory, so I pretty much forgot everything that was posted). I can't wait! This is going to be awesome!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Pretty good movie, though probably not the best of the film series (PoA probably still holds that title). I feel sorry for those who haven't read the books; the films make no sense otherwise--like why Harry has that shard of glass or what's going on when the Minister visits at the Burrow.

I have to agree with most everyone else that the Tale of the Three Brothers was incredible--probably a highlight of the whole series. Loved the design/animation of Death especially. The locketcrux sequence was also amazing (I was surprised that they made Harry and Hermione almost look like they were having sex). And I loved loved loved the scene with Hermione and Bellatrix at Malfoy Manor. Watson and Carter both did amazing jobs. I kind of liked how they had Bellatrix carve "Mudblood" into her arm, but, at the same time, it kind of came off too much like Umbridge's "I must not tell lies." Still, well-done. And, yeah, I loved Imelda Staunton's return, too. Liked Harry's confrontation with her in the courtroom--somewhat better than the books, where Harry and Umbridge never really speak face to face after Phoenix.

On Dobby, I'm honestly mixed. I don't think they did his scenes that well besides the final scene on the beach. That last scene was amazing. I honestly didn't expect to cry, because his other scenes in the movie scream, "Hey, we were too cheap to actually develop this character, but we're not above cheap shots for tears." His confrontation with Bellatrix might've been better if the score wasn't so cliche (or quiet enough that you could ignore it). And when he was unscrewing the chandelier, it came across too comical for the scene, imo. But in that last scene, he's so small, while the blood is off-setting, and the environment suits the mood well. Plus, I think his dialogue is better than in the book (though I cried at that scene in the book, too).

About the score, I agree that there were moments of greatness, but mostly blah. There were also some moments in the film where the dialogue didn't mind being in-your-face obvious. Like, during the argument at the wedding between Doge and Muriel, Muriel's, "Really, it sounds like you didn't know him [Dumbledore] at all." It's like they're trying to spoon-feed you what they want you to think/feel.

But I hate to end with a negative. I will say that the beginning was better than I expected--I loved the shot of Petunia in the car, so it kind of made me hate the loss of the Dursley's Departing less. Also, the Seven Potters scene was really entertaining. And I'm glad they kept the tension of the scene where Shacklebolt's patronus interrupts the wedding. The other additions (like the trio walking "on the road" and the Hermione and Harry dance) worked pretty well, too. Overall, I loved it (though I feel the frenetic pace will always keep the films from being perfect), and I'm really looking forward to the second part. The Battle of Hogwarts will be huge. And I wonder if they'll do something similar to the Three Brothers story with the Grey Lady's tale, or if that'll be cut completely.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I haven't seen Deadly Hollows, and I am not a big Harry Potter fan (read the first book and enjoyed the films, but I am not a fanatic). But after watching Doug Walker's comment on it I can't help but think about it.

He pretty much said that the movie should "lighten up" due to the amount of angst, murder and darkness the film had, especially since the first movie was very whimsical and charming. He made a similar comment about Toy Story 3 and that it was too melodramatic and that it too should "lighten up" because it was Toy Story.

I admit I have conflicting thoughts about this. On one hand, I get what he is saying about how some franchises tend to get very dark as it progresses, sometimes because of natural progression, others because the creators felt they needed to reach adults as well. So creators shouldn't be afraid of keeping things lighthearted just because people say that its childish or lacks depth.

...But on the other hands, there's no denying that we often love a good drama, and we enjoy stories with a complex plot to them. There are times in which we do enjoy light, fun stories, but we often remember the complex stories and deep character development, which is often lying deep in darkness.

I also feel that the "darkness" in both Toy Story and Harry Potter were progressive as well. In Harry Potter (based on my limited knowledge of the franchise), it was lighthearted because it dealt with a kid protagonist entering what is basically an elementary grade. From the point of a view of a kid, the world IS magical and whimsy. But it was clear from the very beginning that things would get darker. I mean, in the first story, everyone was deadly afraid of Voldermort, to the point where his name wasn't mentioned. It is clear that he had a reputation for being very evil and very dark. People also forget that when the first story started, he was already defeated, so a great cloud of darkness disappeared, making everyone happier. So the world WAS more lighthearted and more charming, because the one thing that was destroying it was gone forever...

But Voldy was in the process of being reborn. The first series of books was basically the progression of Voldermort, and as he gained more power things did get darker as his presence was looming. So when he finally arrived, things went down the crapper quick. So OF COURSE things would get dark and all these deaths were happening. He was EVIL. His clan was evil! They are basically living up to their reputation. People wouldn't be so afraid of them if all they did was stomp on some flowers or just cackle like maniacs for some reason. If people are scared, it was because he is dangerous, and the deeper the story goes into his menace things will get very complicated and dark.

So to me, this seems progressive rather than an abrupt change if you actually paid attention to the story.

And it was done wonders for the franchise, too! I mean, everyone predicted that Harry Potter would be a "fad", that the franchise would die out by the time the final film would be released. It's been 10 plus years since the first book was released, and the fact that the final book got so much attention even if it took years to get there as well as the movie that says a lot. I think that with the story getting progressively darker people paid attention and wanted to see how it all ended. Had it kept the same tone throughout the course of the story I think it wouldn't be as successful.

Same thing with Toy Story 3. Could Pixar have made it more charming and lighthearted? Of course. But then people would complain about how the third movie added nothing to the franchise, so in a way the story needed to be this dramatic in order to justify its existence as well as close the story of Andy's toy. It's like John Lasseter said once. We all experience these life changing events in our lives. We take them for granted, and when they arrive they affect us very deeply as we don't quite understand what is going on. We have a hard time adapting to this sudden new reality, and I think that is what Toy Story 3 was all about.

So again, both Harry Potter and Toy Story could have "lighten up". But then everyone would have forgotten them or just complained in the same manner when a new Shrek is released.

"Ugh, another Harry Potter/Toy Story?"
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Duster

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Post by Disney Duster »

Wowee wow wow!!!!!! This is probably the best done film of the whole series! Perhaps the directors and other creators have also grown with the actors in skill...plus, they do have a little more of an idea of where everything is going and what's important, as well as learning from past movies and audiences/critics. Doesn't matter, they just did this was exceptionally great!

What a great time to be at the movies, I feel magical and taken by the feelings again!

You will see I agree with a lot of you on things you have said, but let's all see...

SPOILERAMA STARTS NOOOOOW *...+...*...+...*...+...*...+...*...+...*

I'm fuzzy on everything that exactly happened word for word, in the book, so this is what my comments sound like with that in mind.

The Dursely's leaving...I felt like if you didn't read the book, you would feel clueless or jipped. There was like no touching on their relationship with Harry, It looked like Harry kicked them out or they were like "We don't like you anymore, we're moving!"

Hermione erasing her parents memories. That was so heartbreaking and touching. Poetic. And much sadder than...expected. I was like damn, wanna make people cry already? Did it say she disappeared from the pictures in the book? Hermione looking at herself being erased from her parents lives. Just wow.

I didn't think Voldemort explaining the thing about the wands was out of character
Scarred4LifeDoesn't he need to explain to his followers why he needs things and his plans? The way the teacher died, though, felt so...disturbing for PG-13.

Daniel was good at acting like he was really other people! In fact a lot of that kind of thing happened with characters, and all the actors were good at it, I would say.

I felt sad when this part came up and didn't want to watch it... At first I thought that when Harry let Hedwig fly, that he was "letting her go", saying he didn't need her anymore and to let her be free and safe from what was following him. I thought they were doing this to maybe cut a bit and also save us from the sadness of her death. But instead, we got kind of an even worse death for her! I mean, it hurt even more that we saw her get killed in front of us and crumple and fall, and hurt even more because it was after her valiant heroism! Dang! Poor Hedwig...

The tent scenes were not boring at all. We always wondered what was going to happen, always scared for them. It was like constant, slow tension. People who thought it was otherwise...ugh, people.

Was Ron really like that about Harry and Hermione in the book? I can't believe he got so jealous and mad over...what hardly looked like anything.

NAKED HARRY AND HERMIONE. Wow. Way to push the boundaries and drive home the pain to Ron. But, um...another reason I felt uneasy about this being only "PG-13".

Wasn't Voldemort supposed to be at Godric's Hollow with the snake and the old woman? And the snake almost did come out of her mouth
PeterPanfan, it started to, and then I thought the way her had snapped back and came off was pretty darn creepy/disturbing still.

I do wish they had the full Harry's parents death flashback. I honestly don't get why Harry didn't explore the place he was born and where his parents were last...alive. Like the happy home he never had. I forget, did he explore it in the book? I also forget exactly how the flashback went.

I was surprised that Luna's dad was able to seem like a nice guy, sympathetic, while also being a threat.

Hermione and Bellatrix...O...M...G. Okay, here's the thing, everyone said Hermione was not the best actress of the bunch for a while, but here she proved to be perhaps the best. Her emotion and pain here made the scene seem so...real, and it was very uncomfortable and painful to watch/hear. I just couldn't believe it, it made the movie go up a level.

It didn't remind me of Umbridge's "I will not tell lies" at all
Disney's Divinity, but if it did for you, you could say that's something that these evil, like people have in common. But it never crossed my mind and doesn't ruin a bit of it's power.

I thought Lucius Malfoy took a little too, unrealistically long to call Voldemort, though. I mean, I was full of tension since I forgot what exactly happened in the book, but it just felt like he went beyond dramatic and more conveniently stalling. I'm picky, I know, but it bugged me!

Dobby's death was also so very, very well done. I feel like they used a puppet and CGI combination when Harry held him, because his body looked particularly real there. It's amazing that the way the actor and the director and animators did this made us really feel for this elf. Though yes, Luna did make the seen turn a bit comedic in the end to the point I actually thought Harry was going to yell at her for saying he would look like he was just sleeping! Some people I think chuckled at her line. That just didn't feel right.

And dang, Voldemort going desecrating Dumbledore's grave and getting on top of him to take his wand. Geeze. But what a great cap to the first part of what will be no doubt and amazing, explosive, moving conclusion.

SPOILERAMA ENDS NOW *...+...*...+...*...+...*...+...*...+...*...+...*

So, that was just...a great, great night at the movies and I feel so great watching that.

ESTEFAN should really see this after all, there's no way he could think the direction of the film was bad! Unless he doesn't like...darkness, drama, and discomfort/disturbing pain that makes you feel stuff?

Was the animated Tale of the Three Brothers part a secret, or did we know about it beforehand? That was an awesome, lovely, wonderful surprise! The only things is I wish that the designs had been a bit more old woodcut/storybook and less cartoony. They really were hardly cartoony at all, but I'm picky, this is Harry Potter not Disney or Dreamworks.

Disneykid, I also agree this proves 2 movies was necessary. Could you imagine just one movie for this? How could they even...

I agree that we should have seen more of the other characters during the flight to the Dursley's, too.

Why did you feel the ministry takeover would have been hard to do? What was it like in the book? And what is the shard of glass, I forget that too, I can't believe me!

Oh, and I agree, this time the special effects, like the locket horcrux...WOW, beyond just effects, these were truly drama enhancing and heart-pumping!

I really think the scene of Lily's letter should have been in there, along with more Dursley's.

I don't think Hermione's dance with Krum is really necessary, but I just wanna see Krum again, so I hope we get to see that scene!

And an even longer Hermione torture scene? DANG! I don't know if I could take that!

OH and I think the Snitch flutters softer because it's enchanted by Dumbledore and following Harry now. I also think the deluminator has much better effects now, though changed.

Pap64, I understand all of that. However, I have to say I think both this Harry Potter film and Toy Story 3 could have lightened up a little. It's just that...these movies are also geared at children, and I thought a certain fiery scene went on just a little too long and too intense for the very young kids who were no doubt there, and that quiet a few scenes in Harry Potter were to intense or disturbing for the younger kids who are taken in by unknowing (or uncaring) parents.

Also, I don't think film franchises need to necessarily get darker. Things don't just get worse, they also can get better, you know!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

you need to not be so uptight about the film being "only PG-13". R, even softcore, is worse, and to have a problem with nudity is to be a complete prude. any scared 4 yr olds is the fault of the parents.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

No I was saying they could have just lightened up a bit on those things. They could have lightened just a bit on the darkness, violence, pain, and nudity. Just a little bit, to be more appropriate to the rating.

The difference between this film and other PG-13 films is that the first films were PG and even the last PG-13 ones weren't as bad, so younger kids saw those films, and parents would expect these films to be like those, and their kids would really, really want to see them even if they are still too young.

Also I am no prude, I welcome nudity in films where it's appropriate. But it wasn't even in the book.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Disney Duster wrote:No I was saying they could have just lightened up a bit on those things. They could have lightened just a bit on the darkness, violence, pain, and nudity. Just a little bit, to be more appropriate to the rating.
As a reader, I find the film's dark tone is spot-on to the book.

And I doubt most adults are authorities on what *all* kids can handle as they claim. really, a lot of them probably dont even understand their own kids......from an outside perspective.

And as I said, "R" has worse content. And a *lot* of 8 year olds see R rated movies.

But the important thing is it's true to the book. The book itself is at least as tense and violent.....just less nudity. Actually, the film plays up the humor a bit.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

ajmrowland wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:No I was saying they could have just lightened up a bit on those things. They could have lightened just a bit on the darkness, violence, pain, and nudity. Just a little bit, to be more appropriate to the rating.
As a reader, I find the film's dark tone is spot-on to the book.

And I doubt most adults are authorities on what *all* kids can handle as they claim. really, a lot of them probably dont even understand their own kids......from an outside perspective.

And as I said, "R" has worse content. And a *lot* of 8 year olds see R rated movies.

But the important thing is it's true to the book. The book itself is at least as tense and violent.....just less nudity. Actually, the film plays up the humor a bit.

Honestly I gave up on the rating system a long time....there are so many film that should be R when they are PG-13 etc...I think it's almost impossible for a family to decide what their kid should watch using the rating sytem alone....Maybe there was a time that it did work..but not to me
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Same. For you, I recommend a documentary titled "This Film Is Not Yet Rated" unless you're really that sensitive. Best way to get it is Netflix.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Wasn't Titanic rated PG-13? There was full on nudity in that one.

I feel that the film correlated quite similarly to the book in practically every aspect. I thought it was pretty spot on, actually. It's not like parents really care anymore, anyway. I went to see The Kids Are All Right in theaters and there was like a seven year old girl sitting right in front of me--and there was a lot of nudity/sex in that film. If anything, it's the parent's fault for not controlling their children in what they can see/being stupid because they don't actually check out the film before going to theaters and/or watching the film at home.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

or maybe the parents were actually okay with it? it's not really our place to judge.

anyway, i was chillin over at mugglenet, and found this.

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/4025

and due to the bee-like behavior of the Legion Of Fangirls, decided to ask the same question here: is it deserving of an Oscar?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

How can a parent really know every single thing that will be in a movie?

What is a rating system for? Why was it invented?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

watching it before taking their kids, duh. not to mention the home trick.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It costs so much money just to see a movie once these days!

What's the "home trick"?

Oh, and I forgot, Titanic showd boobs artistically, and didn't show sex. But Harry Potter showed two completely naked teenagers entwined around each other kind of simulating sex. I just wish they had smokey "almost" clothes on. It just would have been more tasteful.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

The actors are in their twenties, and we saw nothing. Hell, we saw Daniel Radcliffe in his underwear (twice) and you're not complaining about that.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Disney Duster wrote:It costs so much money just to see a movie once these days!

What's the "home trick"?

Oh, and I forgot, Titanic showd boobs artistically, and didn't show sex. But Harry Potter showed two completely naked teenagers entwined around each other kind of simulating sex. I just wish they had smokey "almost" clothes on. It just would have been more tasteful.
pop in a dvd and reassure your child that its just a movie and that if they get too scared, you can just turn it off. that way, you save money and can observe the child's reactions in a safe environment.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I plan on seeing this Thursday with my sister. Hopefully, the theatre will not be too packed then.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I just got back from seeing the movie and here is what I thought:

I felt they could have gone into a little more detail at the beginning with the Durselys leaving. They did not mention Dudley acting kinder toward Harry at all. I hope they explain it when they release the Extended Edition (If they even do it, that is).

All the actors were great in their roles as usual. Nothing negative to say about that.

The death of Hedwig was sad, but it happened a little too quickly.

The scene explaining The Three Brothers and the origin of the Deathly Hallows was pretty cool (how they showed it in animated form).

Dobby's death was somewhat sad, but I felt it was not as effective as it was in the book since he was only in two films (CoS and this).

Here is how I would rank the films:

1.Prisoner of Azkaban
2.Goblet of Fire
3.Deathly Hallows Part 1
4.Sorcerer's Stone
5.Chamber of Secrets
6.Half-Blood Prince
7.Order of the Phoenix
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Dobby was in more than two films! He popped up in some others, didn't he?
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Disney Duster wrote:Dobby was in more than two films! He popped up in some others, didn't he?
No. He was in the books "Goblet of Fire" and "Order of the Phoenix" but cut from both films. Presumably that's why they decided to include Dobby in the scene where Kreacher brings Mundungus to 12 Grimmauld Place.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"