Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

The obvious advantage to doing it would be more money. Not to mention whatever money they've already invested in however far they've gone with the 3-D conversion of the first film. I hardly think it'll break the bank if they never release what 3-D conversion they've done thus far, but when has a studio ever turned down the chance to make more money?
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Is anyone going to a midnight premiere tonight? I am, and I couldn't be more ecstatic.

=D
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Only 10 hrs and it'll finaly arrive *eek* I'm so excited to see this film... I was plannin on goin tonight but I double checked my schedule and turns out I got some plans set in motion :( but at least I'll be goin to the midnight showin in July for Part 2
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to see HP until next week during Thanksgiving break. I'm super stoked to see it though, even if it will be after all of the other HP fans have already seen it. I've heard it's great though, so I know I won't be disappointed.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Got my tickets to "HP 7.1" for Sunday because the midnight showings are sold out, and I don't particularly like going to shows on opening day or the day after, so Sunday is the day I picked.

Don't know how many of you have read about the running time, but it is the shortest of the recent "Potter" films at 2 hrs and 26 minutes (146 min.), and that is including the credits. I thought I had read that the reason they split this film into two parts was because of the running time for each segment.

Let's hope that part 2 gets a better, longer running time.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Going to see it tonight at midnight with a friend. :)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

PeterPanfan wrote:Is anyone going to a midnight premiere tonight? I am, and I couldn't be more ecstatic.

=D
the only showing id want to go to was ultrascreen and ultrasold out. im going tommorrow night.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

dvdjunkie wrote:Got my tickets to "HP 7.1" for Sunday because the midnight showings are sold out, and I don't particularly like going to shows on opening day or the day after, so Sunday is the day I picked.

Don't know how many of you have read about the running time, but it is the shortest of the recent "Potter" films at 2 hrs and 26 minutes (146 min.), and that is including the credits. I thought I had read that the reason they split this film into two parts was because of the running time for each segment.

Let's hope that part 2 gets a better, longer running time.

:D
i would doubt it, considering the bulk of material in that part of the book
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Mason_Ireton wrote:I was plannin on goin tonight but I double checked my schedule and turns out I got some plans set in motion :( but at least I'll be goin to the midnight showin in July for Part 2
Same here. I'm so excited, I bought my ticket 3 weeks ago, just to be sure I could get tickets! :lol:
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

I'm going tonight but plan to wait until Christmas to see it in IMAX with my dad. I'm excited to go to another Potter film however sure I'll be very sad to SEE round one of the heart breaking magical deaths I've read.

-Skyler
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Brilliant. Absolutely freaking brilliant. This is, without a doubt, my favorite of the series thus far. If anyone's had any doubt that splitting Deathly Hallows into two films was nothing more than milking the cash cow, this film should silence them. It NEEDED two parts. It flowed amazingly well given the amount of material is covered.

A tiny part of me almost wishes the filmmakers didn't start adapting the books till after the series was completed. You can tell they struggled over what to cut and what to leave in in movies 1-5 as it wasn't until 6 that they finally knew where all this was headed. Both HBP and DH:1 have a sense of confidence about them. They managed to be extremely faithful to the text. I've been re-reading the book in anticipation of this and recognized lines virtually word-for-word.

Unlike the literal adaptations of SS and CoS, however, the filmmakers aren't afraid to do an actual book-to-screen translation. They add things, re-arrange things, and delete things, and the film is all the better for it. It works as both an adaptation and a film. Some random thoughts of mine hidden below:

*So much is said the prologue without there being any real lines xpoken.

* Hedwig's death was much better here in the film as she died a heroine. I wish we could've seen more of what happened to the others during the sky fight instead of just focusing on Harry like in the novel. It was still well staged, though.

* I'm curious to see how they'll handle the story behind Harry's shard. He just whips it out for no apparent reason here in part 1.

* I didn't think they'd be able to sell the whole Ministry of Magic sequence. For some reason, I thought they'd severely change it to make it more palatable/easier to adapt, but they re-enacted it practically verbatim.

* People have been complaining that all of the camping scenes are boring. I was actually surprised to find how well they sustained interest and moved along. I didn't feel they dragged at all.

* The Nagini attack and the whole Bathilda sequence were eerie. The bit Hermione, the flies, and blood felt like something out of a horror film.

* I loved the destruction of the locket. Riddle!Harry and Riddle!Hermione were practically eating each other's faces off. Emma Watson plays evil surprisingly well. I look forward to seeing the artistic license they take with the destructions of the other horcruxes as I hear the Hufflepuff Cup is going to unleash a tsunami.

* The Tale of the Three Brothers was brilliant. I really hope we get the other Tales of Beedle the Bard adapted into this animation style as extras for the BD. The Fountain of Fair Fortune is my favorite story in the compilation.

* Malfoy Manor was superb. Hermione's torture was realistic and chilling without being overdone.

* Dobby's death was incredibly moving. I wish we could see his tombstone, but they may be saving that for the opening of part 2.

Convincing and polished performances, gorgeous cinematography, flawless effects, a sturdy screenplay...What more you could really ask for? I know of only one: bring me part 2. Now.
Last edited by Disneykid on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Spoilers!!!!!!!

I agree, Disneykid... I'm not positive that it's my favorite in the series so far (DH is my favorite book in the series), but I absolutely loved it.

I honestly wish Hedwig's death was elaborated more on... to be honest, I found that to be one of the saddest in the entire book, as well as Dobby's, who was equally as sad.

The Harry/Hermione [s]kiss[/s] make-out session was really well done; Emma and Daniel did a great job at portraying evil, and Rupert's reactions were great as well.

The whole Godric's Hollow scene was brilliant; from Harry and Hermione seeing James and Lily's tombstone, to Nagini coming out of Bathilda (I wish they would have kept it more like the book and have had her come out of Bathilda's mouth, as I think that would have been scarier), and then Harry chasing the Silver Doe and Ron saving him.

I know Ginny was barely in the first part of the book, but damn, she had like two lines. I DID enjoy Luna and Xenophilius, but I wish we could have seen Luna's painting of her friends.

I'm SO stoked for Part 2... I have a feeling it may be even better than Part 1! =D
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

I am SPEECHLESS.

Random Positive and Negative comments:
-Hedwig's heroic death.
-George's bleeding caught me by surprise! (this is a good thing!)
-So glad that when they intruded the Ministry, the scene just starts and no planning like in the book.
-The snitch doesn't sound like the snitch from the first 3 films.
-Sucks that even Hermione was mean to Kreacher. :(
-Hermione screaming when Bellatrix was torturing her and wrote Mudblood on her wrist. I can't wait for Mrs. Weasley to finish her off. It will be SO satisfying.
-I saw Dobby's death coming but I am so happy about the speech he gave to Bellatrix! You can take Dobby's life, but you could never take his spirit!
-Dobby's death itself, I cried. "Dobby is with his friend, Harry Potter." Although Luna kind of ruined it when she came in and said her lines; it turned the scene comedic a bit.
-I really wanted to see the flashback of the night Harry's parents got murdered.
-Music? Boring. I don't remember any themes, just the Death Eater theme.
-Here, my last comment, is just proof how much I enjoyed the film: When Harry disarmed Lucius, blasted him back, or when Dobby disarmed Narcissa, I wanted to fist pump the air.

I am so pumped for Part 2!
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I would also like to mention that the part that affected me the most, which confused me, was the very beginning where Hermione erases herself from her parents' minds. The event itself didn't confuse me, just that something pretty minor that happened at the beginning could end up being one of the most depressing parts of the film.

Any other thoughts on that scene?
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Must. Resit. Urge. To read. Spoilers. I only have 5 hours left till I get to see it. I can hold out till then. I think.
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Absolutely blown away. 241 days until Part 2. Cannot wait & I'll be seeing this part at least a couple more times in the theater.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This movie left me speechless. It's heart pounding and breathtaking. What an experience.

as for the scene with Hermione at home in the beginning. Very well done. Emma is such a talented actress. She has the presence Daniel sometimes lacks and you can often feel her holding back. She has a huge career waiting for her if she wants it.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I will probably wait a few weeks to see this with my sister (Same applies to Tangled).
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

i agree with all the comments so far. only adding that the hype overshadowed the film a bit.

but the opening with the trio in their respective homes preparing for the long journey simply rocks. especially hermione wiping her parents memories. :(

and they timed the ending quite well. my one regret is not showing dobbys tombstone.

now, how will part two dish us the climax? and, more importantly, will the massive plotholes left behind by hbp finally be filled.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

I just finished watching it a second time and I have to explain something weird. The first time around, when Harry and Hermione came out of the locket, I felt peaceful and Riddle-Harry and Riddle-Hermione did not feel threatening. The second time I watched it, I felt the same way and then I realized it is because of the music. I am listening to the track, and it sounds a lot like the cue where Harry's parents come out of Voldemort's wand in Goblet of Fire. The music then felt protective and safe so I felt it here too. Maybe this is just me, but the music is not threatening at all and way out of place.