Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Oh my god. It was fantastic! I agree with most of the things posted here, especially what Disneykid said about the adaption. It was very well done, had all of the crucial points, and was faithful to the book, but they weren't afraid of making some changes. Some random thoughts:

-I didn't like how at the beginning, Voldemort was explaining the twin cores and such to the Death Eaters. I understand why they did it, but it seemed out of character.

-Hedwig's death was much better than in the book, but I wish they had spent more time on it.

-I was really looking forward to the Kreacher scene, so I was a bit disappointed that it was as short as it was.

-Loved the beginning with Hermione wiping her parents memories, it was amazingly well done. It was great, and I'm glad they cut out the long Dursley's farewell out.

-The tent scenes didn't seem boring at all, they flowed quite nicely.

-The Tale of the Three Brothers was fantastic, and a pleasant surprise. One of my favourite scenes.

-Godric's Hollow was wonderful, as was the silver doe. But I did want to see Lilly and James' death.

-Dobby's death and the speech he gave before were touching and wonderful, I cried. I do hope we get to see the gravestone in part 2.

Now I can't wait for the next one! And the countdown begins...
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I was listening to Mugglecast's review episode for this film, and one of the participants that went to an early test screening mentioned some scenes that were cut. That got me into searching to see if anyone else has reported anything missing, and I stumbled across this:

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?p=5653554

Since that page links to elsewhere for additional scenes, and the Mugglecast episode mentioned even more, I've compiled a list of what we know so far for the sake of convenience:

* Extended Dursley departure (test screening)
* Ron helping Arthur fix a radio (photo)
* Hagrid swearing he wasn’t the one who betrayed the group (b-roll footage)
* Ginny and Ron chatting during the wedding (photo)
* Hermione dancing with Krum at the wedding (photos)
* Death Eaters outside Grimmauld Place (HBP BD sneak peek, photos)
* Extended Ollivander vision (teaser trailer)
* Harry finding Lily’s letter in Sirius’ room (photos)
* Snape meeting Voldemort at Hogwarts gate (test screening)
* Harry and Ron hunting a rabbit (HBP BD sneak peek)
* Hermione tending to Ron in the tent (photos)
* Ron confronts Harry about the game plan (test screening)
* Trio run into a dog while travelling (ABC Family sneak peek)
* Harry looks at mirror shard while Ron and Hermione skip stones by a lake (photos)
* Extended Hermione in Bathilda Bagshot's house
* The snatchers beating Ron up (test screening)
* Extended Hermione torture scene (test screening)

By the sounds of it, it seems like these would've made the film another 15 minutes longer. I doubt by this point we'll be getting an extended cut, though miracles happen. At the very least, I hope the majority of these show up as supplements in April. Considering how WB likes to play it safe with Harry Potter deleted scenes, though, I bet the more inconsequential stuff during the trio's roadtrip will be all we get.
Last edited by Disneykid on Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

you never know. we did get that borgin and burkes scene for cos, and we have yet to see wheth or not yates wants extended cuts for 5 and 6.

a good adaptation though.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

What did you guys think of the score for the film? I personally hated it. Some parts were really good: Snape walking to Malfoy Manor and Sky Battle. The rest of it though was trash, unfortunately.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

ajmrowland wrote:you never know. we did get that borgin and burkes scene for cos, and we have yet to see wheth or not yates wants extended cuts for 5 and 6.

He doesn't.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

You guys remember that strand of string/hair that falls on Hermione in Malfoy Manor before they reveal 'Mudblood' on her arm? It wasn't to be artsy, it is for breaking into Gringotts as Bellatrix in Part 2.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Thanks for the extended/deleted list DisneyKid greatly appricated.

The movie was quite pleasing, the actors really kicked their abilities to another level. You can really tell that Dan, Rupert and Emma really matured with these roles through out 10 yrs, it's amazing how they improved themseleves with each film.

I was re-reading the book and noticed IMPORTANT chapters were combined, though i wish we could've said "good bye" to the dursley and see dudley's character develop towards Harry, I was pleased with the lil scenes of Harry/Ron/Hermonie

The dance in the camp tent seemed awkard to me, don't know why but it just seem weird that despite the tension between Ron/Harry, a dance felt out of place.

Dobby's return was perfect, course he seemed alil tall by like 3 inches (I think) have to re watch Chamber Of Secrets. I was surpised how effective his rescue of the trio was on some people... People teared up when they saw what happend.

Again I was highly pleased with Part 1 and like fellow UD members, I assume Part 2 will open with Dobby's grave since the ending of part 1 was suppose to be the opening for Part 2.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I haven't read DH since its release in 2007 (although I plan on rereading the series before Part 2 comes out), but exactly, besides the Battle of Hogwarts, will be in the second installment?
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

All I can say is it is about time that a director got it right. What a marvelous film, and it stands on its own as a movie as well as make us want more, which come next July we will get more in Part 2 of DH.

I wish that it wasn't such a short film, but then I hope that they make up for that with a nice 3 hour conclusion to all of it.

Also I have read that Disneykid wants to wait until Christmas to see HP 7.1 in IMAX, but sadly it won't be showing in IMAX, as Disney has all of the IMAX theaters committed to "TRON Legacy" on December 17th.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Marvelous movie! Can hardly wait for Part 2!
magicalwands wrote:What did you guys think of the score for the film? I personally hated it. Some parts were really good: Snape walking to Malfoy Manor and Sky Battle. The rest of it though was trash, unfortunately.
Not memorable other than the snippet of Hedwig's Theme during the Warner Bros. logo. But I was likely too focused on what characters were saying so I couldn't really listen to the score.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

magicalwands wrote:You guys remember that strand of string/hair that falls on Hermione in Malfoy Manor before they reveal 'Mudblood' on her arm? It wasn't to be artsy, it is for breaking into Gringotts as Bellatrix in Part 2.
OMG...I never even thought about that. :shock: That's what I love about Yates' films in the series; they're filled with subtle nuances you don't realize till later. I just now noticed in my second viewing background lines from Ron that were taken directly from the book: him saying he knew the rumors of Harry's tattoo weren't true during the seven Potters, and him telling Hermione she brought the wrong jeans while in the diner.

Anyone else notice Harry's parseltongue is wrong when he speaks to the locket? The word for "open" is "heshasa," but Harry instead says "sila sileth," which is what he told the snake in CoS when it was going to attack Justin.
dvdjunkie wrote:Also I have read that Disneykid wants to wait until Christmas to see HP 7.1 in IMAX, but sadly it won't be showing in IMAX, as Disney has all of the IMAX theaters committed to "TRON Legacy" on December 17th.
Oh, you don't have to worry about that, junkie. My friends who want to see it in IMAX with me are coming earlier than planned - December 9. So we'll catch Deathly Hallows in IMAX then and since they're staying for the weekend, we'll able to catch Narnia together, too.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Disneykid wrote:Anyone else notice Harry's parseltongue is wrong when he speaks to the locket? The word for "open" is "heshasa," but Harry instead says "sila sileth," which is what he told the snake in CoS when it was going to attack Justin.
Yeah, and the deluminator looks different than it did when Dumbledore had it in the first one. And it works differently too, because Dumbledore had to click it once for every street light, whereas when Ron had it, he clicked it once and all of the light in the room went out.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

The deluminator's the same, actually. Someone last year went on a WB tour that featured props from the series, and the tour guide mentioned that the deluminator from SS, which had previously been featured in the tour before, was missing because it's currently being used for filming DH. I guess the camera angles and/or the way Ron holds it makes it look different.

I did notice the way the lights go out is different, not just in the amount that goes on and off, but also in the motion. In SS, the balls of light fly into the deluminator. In DH, they're sort of sucked in via motion blur, kind of like how the dementors feed on people.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Yeah, I think the deluminator is the same as well. At first I thought it looked a bit small and I recalled it looking like a cigar, but watching SS again, it is a deep teal blue/green. I'll have to watch DH again because it does look kind of big in Dumbledore's hands but small in Ron's.

Also, did the Snitch sound different to anyone? The wings have a much softer flutter and not as rough like in the first three films.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Yeah, I noticed that on my second viewing. The sound of the wings opening and closing is the same, but the fluttering as the snitch hovers is smoother and softer.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I have an idea on why the Deluminator worked differently in SS compared to DHp1....better technology and even more huge of a budget than say 9 years ago....when SS came out.....when SS came out I Don't think anyone could have fully believed it's would be this successful and actually make it to the end when SS was first made.....I mean it's taken a decade to make all 7 books into film.....which is hard task to do imho and be faithful to the books as these films has been compared to other books into movie flops...and with virtually the same cast 1 through 7 minus the replacement for dumbledore due to Richard Harris' death....in my opinion...that is incredible
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

David Yates confirms in this interview that we'll see the scenes with the Dursleys, Ron and Hermione skipping stones, and the rabbit hunt on the DVD and BD (it comes around the 5:45 mark:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/08HKeSCBoUM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/08HKeSCBoUM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hopefully we get most of the others, as well. I'm not expecting the two violent bits, but I'll be very disappointed if we don't get Krum's cameo and Lily's letter.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

That's awesome! I'm surprised he's actually shedding out some deleted scenes, as we barely got any for OotP and HBP.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Disneykid wrote:David Yates confirms in this interview that we'll see the scenes with the Dursleys, Ron and Hermione skipping stones, and the rabbit hunt on the DVD and BD (it comes around the 5:45 mark:
Thank God. I don't mind that the Dursleys were cut in the 3rd, 4th, and the 5th films (well, they were in the 5th, but nothing like in the book and, ultimately, might as well have been cut). In the 6th, it would really have helped to have Dumbledore rebuke them, but that wouldn't go along with how they've made Dumbledore and Harry have less of a relationship to one another in the films. But, all that aside, they needed to be in the final film. It's very sad that scene (which, imo, was one of the best in all of Deathly Hallows) wasn't included in some form. That plot line's just kind of left up in the air without it. With that in mind, I'm shocked they bothered to put Dobby and Kreacher back in. The House-elves plotline is another one I felt was sorely under-used. I realize that with these films, they have to have cuts, but it really wouldn't have been that hard to incoporate that theme into at least Order of the Phoenix.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to go see this film tomorrow. It looks (and sounds) really good--perhaps the best of all the films thus far. Hopefully, the theater won't be too full; I'll be going while school's in. I'm particularly looking forward to the end, with the Malfoy Manor scene. :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

PeterPanfan wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:you never know. we did get that borgin and burkes scene for cos, and we have yet to see wheth or not yates wants extended cuts for 5 and 6.

He doesn't.
evidence?

on another note, the snatchers costumes werew awesome.

and on yet another note: dumbledore's got style. :wink: