Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

Post by Dottie »

Ok, here we are, the last book the last chapters in the Harry Potter series that so many have grown up with.
We've come a long journey and tonight at 00:01 it'll be over. The excitement, the waiting, the story and the lives of several of our beloved characters.

I know that there are many Harry Potter Threads out there, but discussing the seventh book is difficult in these threads, since not everyone here reads at the same speed and I guess this time absolutely NOBODY wants to be spoiled.
I ask you not to use the other threads to discuss any plot-details but to come here to discuss it.

A note from JKR can be seen at jkrowling.com.

Aaaaaand now:

Let the discussion begin for those who have read HPatDH!!!
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I think there's already a thread for this book.

Currently I am on the fourth book, but I will buy Deathly Hallows eventually. I own all 6 books and I have only read the first three all the way through.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

PixarFan2006 wrote:I think there's already a thread for this book.
With the last book there were two threads one for spoilers and one without so thats what were doing this year. :)
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

I will start reading it either tonight or in the morning if I am to tired
Dark Knight Rulez
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Well, I finished the book like 5 minutes ago, and I absolutly loved it! It was a perfect finale.

(In white; don't read this if you haven't read the book/you don't care):

I'm so happy that Harry didn't die! I was so relieved! Once I got to Ch. 35 I knew that something was going to happen to Harry so that he couldn't die. I'm glad how everything was explained, how all of the Horcruxes were destroyed/killed (thanks Neville for killing Nagini; that surely helped Harry!) and that the Hallows were quite beneficial to Harry. This was such a fantastic read that I really want to read the whole series over again (not any time soon, unfortunately). I'm glad that Harry and Ginny got married, as did Ron and Hermione. I kinda thought they would even before I read the the Epilogue.

Well, I'll probably be back to discuss more at a later date, but right now, being off the forums for literally 2 days (I know), I have some catching up to do.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I just finished the book about half an hour ago and was completely floored. I really do think Jo outdid herself with this one. There was very little fat in this as opposed to Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince. While this is the grimmest book of the series, that's to be expected, and the character deaths were definitely shocking. Spoilers below...

* I was expecting Snape to die (not via spoilers, but via my own prediction), so his death didn't shock me. The reason for it, though, was definitely surprising. Remus and Tonks' death for some reason didn't shock me, either, probably because they tied together and would get to spend the afterlife with both each other and Sirius, James, and Lily (and Tonks' father). Moody for some reason didn't surprise me much, perhaps because I never warmed up to him, much. The ones that made me gasp out loud were Hedwig's (I mean, come ON), Dobby's, and most of all Fred's. Fred and George are my favorite characters in the series outside of Harry, and it was bad enough having George lose an ear. Fred's death really stunned me because I figured if ANYONE would survive this series, it'd be the twins and Dobby. I turned out to only be a third right.

* I was very relieved the trio and Hagrid survived.

* My favorite humorous bit would have to be Ron's response to hearing the name "Cinderella": "Is that an illness?"

* The Gringotts chapter and (of course) Harry vs. Voldemort were my favorite action scenes. I love the way Jo staged the latter: having it take place inside Hogwarts in front of everyone as the sun's coming up. Harry taunting Voldie and repeatedly calling him Tom was brilliant. It was like Harry was the new Dumbledore.

* Molly earns 500 points for her line to Bellatrix ("NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!") and another 500 for finishing her off.

* Revealing so much of Dumbledore's past was refreshing. It showed he was human, afterall, and had character flaws.

* WHY is Umbridge's character arc left hanging? Someone seriously needed to finish her off. I knew there was a reason Jo had her survive Order of the Phoenix, and I was right. I was just expecting her to receive a big fat comeuppance here, though I suppose it's implied well enough that she's spending the rest of her life in Azkaban.

* Draco's semi-redemption was a nice touch. Having him and Harry become friends would've taken it too far, but I'm glad that they both at least respect each other, now.

* Yay for everyone getting into the relationships they wanted (Harry and Ginny, Hermione and Ron, Remus and Tonks).

* House-elves going kung-fu with kitchen knives? Heck YES!

* I love the fact that not only are Harry's kids named after people he loved (Albus, James, Lily), but that Albus' middle name is Severus. I just find it depressing that everyone finds out about Snape's hidden agenda (which I correctly guessed) after his death. Hopefully he and Harry will have lots to talk about when Harry passes into the afterlife (from old age, of course).

* I also love how EVERYTHING from the series come into play here. Stuff (both major and minor) from books 1-6 are either referenced or end up becoming crucial plot points. The diadem from Half-Blood Prince almost made me scream out loud. Considering I just finished re-reading that book a few weeks ago, I instantly knew what Jo was talking about as soon as she mentioned the word "wig."

As for the movie adaptation coming three years from now...

The filmmakers have both a blessing and a curse on their hands. The events presented here will lend themselves beautifully to film. If done right, this will easily be the most exciting and action-packed of the series. The problem, though, is in what to cut. There aren't any subplots and detours here that help broaden up the story. There's really only one linear narrative, and almost everything involved in it becomes crucial to both this installment and the series as a whole. The film's going to have to be three hours at least, whether WB likes it or not. If they try to push 2.5 (which is what they've been doing to all the directors so far), there are going to either be gaping plot holes, or very rushed pacing and explanations. So much is revealed through the Daily Prophet, Rita Skeeter's book, and the one-on-one chat with Dumbledore in the after life that they're really going to have to find a clever way to condense it all and make it visually interesting. I have no doubt, though, that the first and last acts will be stupendous. Steve Kloves, wherever you are, PLEASE keep Molly's line to Bella. I guarantee that cheers will erupt in the audience.

One question I have is Jo said she got goosebumps during the third film because the filmmakers added something that wasn't in the book that ended up foreshadowing something in this one. Anyone have any idea what it was? I was thinking it could be Snape risking his life to save the kids from Lupin when he was actually unconscious during this scene in the book. But that seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Overall, this is certainly my favorite book in the series. I power-read through it to find out what happens, now I want to re-read it slowly to take in all the details and clues. A perfect ending to an excellent book series.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

My favorite parts/concepts/lines/etc.:

~ Perhaps the thing that affected me the most from this book was the moment Kingsley Shacklebolt's Patronus declared Scrimgeour dead at Bill and Fleur's wedding. The repulsingly clear description of Voldemort's dominance of the wizarding world made reading the events that transpired almost as if I were reading about the Holocaust (except I knew it hadn't really happened). The 'Magic is Might' statue of the witch and wizard sitting atop muggles in the Ministry was especially appalling.
~ Deaths that surprised me: Hedwig, Fred and Dobby. The rest either didn't affect me or didn't matter much in the long run anyway.
~ I love, love, LOVE Hermione's line near the end of the book, where Ron was talking about something and she screams "Are you a wizard or aren't you?!" or something along those lines. It was just that small attention to detail that amazed me about this book (and more than made up for Half-Blood Prince being the worst in the series for me).
~ I'm glad Snape was officially made a "good" character. I suspected he was ultimately aligned with Dumbledore, but only thought he killed him because he wanted to keep the Unbreakable Vow that he made with Narcissa (under, I believed, Dumbledore's wish to save Draco's life) and not because Dumbledore was dying already. I also didn't expect that he had been in love with Lily or that the Silver Doe was his (I thought it had been Ginny's). It was strange, though, that he had mostly no contact with Harry at all in this book.
~ The showdown at Hogwarts was easily the best action sequence in the series. No question. When the castle was blown/split open (can't remember exactly how that part happened), it gave some great imagery. I loved reading the duel between Molly and Bellatrix, and I was glad that the centaurs and house-elves were united in battle with the wizards/witches at the end.
~ Harry and the Dursleys' parting was one of the most powerful chapters for me. I was SO hoping that Petunia would say something to Harry, which she almost had. But I was completely shocked that Dudley was the one, of all of them, that spoke up. Maybe he viewed Harry almost as a brother and their family, however twisted, was just that: family.

Other things:

~ I seriously wanted there to be an emotional scene where Percy reunited with the Weasleys (something like him dying to save Fred comes to mind), but I'm just glad he hadn't been killed. He's one of my favorite characters.
~ The only thing about the book (and the one before it, too) that seriously bothered me was the way characters seemed divided into perfect, predictable, "necessary" couples: Harry & Ginny, Bill & Fleur and Lupin & Tonks are glaring examples. Although I like most of these characters individually, I don't think they belonged together.
~ Like the person above me, I expected to read Umbridge's exact comeuppance or if she had been Imperioused into going to the extreme (even if she's despicable, I couldn't see her going so far as to kill/imprison the Muggle-borns). In fact, the entire last chapter partly let me down (though I still enjoyed it). I expected an entire review of everything that happened to the families/characters, such as: did Narcissa and Lucious recieve reprimanding/imprisonment; what the rest of the Weasley family went on to do; if Shacklebolt stayed Minister; if the wizarding world finally reached a point where equality between the species was possible; the life of Teddy Lupin; had Xenophilius Lovegood been murdered or just imprisoned; how Hogwarts progressed (I was hoping they would destroy the distinctions between the houses altogether); what happened to the Dursleys and so on. I was also looking forward to a confrontation with Rita Skeeter.
~ I almost felt as if Rowling went easy on us. Everyone who died was either 1.) never a major, well-loved character, 2.) an "evil" character or 3.) an expected death. Fred is the only exception (unless you really loved Lupin and Tonks), but his twin was still alive. I was dreading the deaths of characters like Minerva, Neville, Luna, the Weasley parents, Hagrid, Hermione or Ron.
~ The period near the middle of the book where NOTHING happened was horrible to read. It was necessary, but I still hated it.
~ Near the beginning of the book, Hermione kept on crying at every other turn. It just felt out of character. Hermione cries, there's no doubt about it. But not about little things. The only real parts I could actually see her crying is when she told us about her parents and Ron's running off.
~ I felt that the relationship between Grindelwald and Dumbledore was never fully explained. Nor was the history of the Deathly Hallows, or Bathilda Bagshot's (was she killed or dead from old age?) and Grindelwald's histories (what exactly had Grindelwald done that was so evil?). I'd also like explained what happened to Grimhook (and how the Sorting Hat somehow summoned the sword at Harry and Voldemort's duel).
~ I wish Aberfoth had had more time in the book. In fact, I wish that Dumbledore hadn't come off as so apathetic in Snape's memories. I'm glad Rowling revealed that he was human, even that she showed that he was only as powerful as he was because of the Elder Wand, but I wished she hadn't made him come across so...malevolent almost.

Overall, Deathly Hallows is easily the best in the series. It's hard to believe that this is the last time I'll sit down to a Harry Potter book and read another mystery/adventure. When I went to get the book, I felt like a five-year-old at Christmas (you know, before you grow up and the surprise/excitement goes away). It's all a little bittersweet.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

So, I finished this morning at 5 am (11pm Eastern Time) and absolutely LOVED it. JKR has given us a great book, a wonderful story and ended it beautifully.

Thinhs I liked:

-The whole book of course, to begin with
-how everything finally makes sense and how many clues, that nobody paid any attention to in the other books become so important to the plot
-The scenes at the Burrow and Godric's Hollow
-Dumbledore's past that makes Dumbledore human
-The Dursleys more or less accepting the wizarding world
-The first 50 pages which are a very wild ride and one of Rowling's best first chapters
-Tonks and Lupin getting married and having a baby
-Finally Ron and Hermione get to be the couple everyone as been waiting for, since, maybe even earlier than Book 4
-Snape is GOOD and finally we understand why Petunia started to hate the wizarding world and the connection between Lily and Snape is simply wonderful
-All the action scenes are so well written and the book is fast-pacing, exciting, but there still are humorous scenes
-The idea of the Deathly Hallows is simply awesome
-Harry's last moments on earth when he calls those he loved and how they support him and show him how much they lve him made me cry so hard. I was sitting on my bed at 3 am and sobbed into my pillow. A beautiful part and at this moment everything to me seemed lost. I had so hoped for Harry to live and then seeing him running into death's oustretched arms is some of the best writing Ms Rowling has given us. I was so sad, but the next chapter, the one where he meets Dumbledore was just as wonderful and felt like a relief, it felt like a friend had returned and the talk between Harry and Dumbledore made the series come full circle as this kind of talk has been in each of the seven books.
-All the wonderful things that Dumbledore told Harry and that solved so many mysteries fans had wondered about for years showed how well plotted the series was and now hardly any quesitions are left
-The final fight was amazing! Hogwarts was the only place where ths could have taken place and the little things in the final fight seemed to me as great as the big bangs, like Neville's granny running off to join in the fight or the best line in the whole series: NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!(if that one isn't in the movie JKR should sue the writer; abslutely brilliant!!)
-Neville destroying the last Horcrux thus also kind of fulfilling the prophecy
-Harry finishing off Voldemort will go down in literature history
-Harry repairing his own wand with the Elder Wand showed what a good and modest guy Harry is
-All the couples get married and have kids. Harry and Ginny gave their kids just the right names, But I had had a feeling that if Harry was to survive and would marry Ginny their kids might end up with these names (I didn't expect the Severus, though)

Other things:
-The middle part after Ron leaves feels a tiny bit long (except for Godric's Holow) and nothing actually happens concerning the Horcruxes until the second half of the book
-Towards the end when Harry talks to Dumbledore and he sees into Snape's memories there are so many facts and secrets solved that it almost feels ike too much to take in
-I still don't understand the "Remember my last, Petunia" from Book 5. Does anyone here?
-Some of the deaths seem a bit unnecessary, why Hedwig and Fred? And are Lupin and Tonks the two who JKR decided during writing had to die and instead didn't kill Hagrid. I'd love to hear more from her about that subject and why she decided to kill them. Should be intersting that question.
-The ending nineteen years later seems a little rushed. I had thought it'd be longer and tell us what the characters did after Voldemort was vanquished. But still I loved it.
-Sometimes it fet like rushing from one action scene to the other each of which were great and important for the plot, but some felt like the same all over again, Harry nearly being captured, Voldemort being called, Voldemort on his way, near escape.
-I was a little disappointed when reading the Godric's Hollw chapter. I had expected more to be hidden there and more to be discovered
I am glaad Hagrid did not die, I had beens o sure we'd loose him, but we lost so many others, and something really bugs me. Where does Teddy Tonks live and grow up after his parents are dead and does he have anything werewolfy about him? He doesn't live with Harry and his family, since otherwise young James wouldn't ask his parents if he could come live with them.

"Some" of my thoughts abouth Deathly Hallows.
I really can only say that JKR certainly changed the world of literature with a series of books about a young wizard that will become an icon of our generation, we who had the great opportunity to be there and to feel how something kind of unites the world.

I hope that in the near future JKR will give us more information on the questions that fans might still have and that someday she writes again to take us into another enchanted world.
I think we all have to thank her for making growing up with Harry Potter so enjoyable and making thousands of kids read in a time when less kids consider that a hobby. JKR has given us something wonderful, a series of books that is fascinating, and had us excited for almost exactly ten years and I know I will certainly read all the books over and over again. Crying and lauging over and over again.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Things I like:

*Getting Hufflepuff's Horcrux. That was amazing, with the dragon and all of the goblins. It was a masterpiece of action.
*Ron and Hermione got together. I expected it, but still.....
*Okay, who didn't like Molly saying "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"??? The best line ever in the whole entire series.
*Dudley being the one to say goodbye to Harry. (Kinda expected for Tuney to say something, but Dudley is fine, too)
*The love story between Severus and Lily. I hadn't really thought about his Patronus (being a doe) and connecting it w/ Lily. That was a great backstory. I do have a question on that though: Is that the thing that we were supposed to find out about Lily? I read on Veritaserum.com that we were to find out something about Lily, and I don't know what it is (of course, this love thing might, but I don't know for sure).
*The end fight with Voldy and Harry was wonderful. I really liked how Harry kept on calling him Riddle!
*Bellatrix died, fantastic!
*The Deathly Hallows was a good idea, even though new things just kinda sprinted out into the last two books, without us ever hearing about them, the DH's were very clever.
*Neville, my favorite character, killed Nagini (last Horcrux). GO NEVILLE!
*None of the trio died (well except Harry, but he went back so I guess that really doesn't count)

What I didn't like:

*Dobby, Fred, Tonks and Lupin's deaths.
*I wished I had found out a little more about Godric's Hollow and Bathilda Bagshot.

I'll update this later.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

I finished it at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday morning. I thought it was the best of the series, as well.

Some things that popped into my head that haven't been mentioned in great detail above:

I LOVED the part in the room of requirement where Ron talks about needing to notify the house-elves so they don't get hurt, and Hermione drops everything and FINALLY kisses him. But how are they going to do this effectively in the movie, since they dropped S.P.E.W. out of the plot? Hermione's action won't mean as much, KWIM?

I felt SO bad for Snape. His whole life he was crapped on, and nobody knew he was good except for Dumbledore and certain order members who trusted Dumbledore's judgement. I wish we were able to see his reign as head of Hogwarts - you know he was probably trying to minimize Voldemort's actions....such as giving Ginny, Neville, and Luna punishment with Hagrid of all people. I knew as soon as they said that that he was on the good side. I'm glad the truth came out - even though it was after he died. I'm very glad Harry named one of his sons after him.

The fact that Harry ultimately realizes he needs to accept help to destroy the Horcruxes. I think it was brilliant of Ron and Hermione to think of going into the Chamber of Secrets (and Ron speaking parseltongue!) to destroy the cup with the basilisk fang. And then the powerful scene where Harry, on his way to "sacrifice" himself (as he thought he was doing) and counting on Neville to get the snake destroyed. That was incredible. One of my favorite parts was where, on the way into the forest, Harry finally figures out how to open the snitch and Lily, James, Sirius, and Lupin come out of the hallow part of the ring and give him the courage to face Voldemort and death. When Harry asked them to stay with him, it brought tears to my eyes. I wish Snape would have appeared in that scene as well. I wish Harry could have said something to have some closure with that whole situation.

I know it was mentioned above, but the Percy scene was SO COOL. I'm so glad he got a chance to be humbly vindicated before Fred died.

The deaths of Dobby, Hedwig, Moody, Fred, Lupin, and Tonks really shocked me. I wish we would have found out who raised Ted Tonks and how his life turned out.

I'll write more as stuff comes to me. I'm very sad the series is over and we can't read about Hogwarts any more.... She could pick it up again and write about their kids at Hogwarts.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Dottie wrote:I still don't understand the "Remember my last, Petunia" from Book 5. Does anyone here?

Where does Teddy Tonks live and grow up after his parents are dead and does he have anything werewolfy about him? He doesn't live with Harry and his family, since otherwise young James wouldn't ask his parents if he could come live with them.[/color]
The "Remember my last" howler was probably referring to the letter left with baby Harry, explaining the magical protection Privet Drive had.

As for Teddy, my guess is he lived with his grandmother ala Neville.

One thing I just realized is the filmmakers have sort of put themselves in a corner. They didn't show the two-way mirror in the Order of the Phoenix film. How is Aberforth supposed to keep an eye on Harry and send Dobby after him if there's no mirror? J.K. has been very specific to the filmmakers on what they need to leave in and what they're allowed to cut out. I find it hard to believe she let them drop the mirror from the storyline, unless the scene was actually filmed and then cut. Afterall, about 45 minutes was cut out of movie 5, so it's not much of a stretch to think the mirror was part of that. If that's the case, WB needs to release extended editions of all the Harry Potter films before the Deathly Hallows film is released. Sorcerer's Stone had a scene cut where Harry reads aloud from Dumbledore's chocolate frog card. That scene mentioned Dumbledore's defeat of Grindelwald. Grindelwald's going to seem rather random in movie seven if the non-book-reading audience hasn't heard of him.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Well, after overcomming many obstacles (aka, other things I had to do) I miraculously finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at 3:22 this morning! And there is so much to think about! I'll start with the deaths....(all of this in white, of course)

Hedwig - Shocking! It happened very quickly and had a "WTF?" quality to it.

Moody - Shocked me a little, as I expected perhaps Hagrid of Lupin to die early on, this would have made Harry feel more hopeless. But, Moody works in that role I guess.

Scrimgeour - Didn't affect me much at all. I didn't really expect him to die, but perhaps the bluntness in which it was stated helped the shock-value.

Wormtail - Of all the villains, he was the one I most expected to just be hauled off to Azkaban. So, this was shocking, especially in the way it happened.

Dobby - Very Shocking! Poor Dobby, he was so nice and his death was so sad. I hope they keep that in the movie (as I now look at it, that scene is scarily expendable)

Snape - I expected him to die, but not like that! It was sort of anti-climactic (but then, there was plenty of climax in other areas)

Lupin - Kinda expected it, so I wasn't that shocked.

Tonks - This shocked me a little bit more, and I don't know why. Tonks just seemed more lively than Lupin, I guess.

Fred - AHHHHHHH! I couldn't believe it when I read it! This was a sad death.

Bellatrix - I figured, but her death was a great scene.

Voldemort - Again, I figured it would happen, but I'm glad JKR thought up a great reasoning behind it.

Other notes:

* I agree that "NOT MY DAUGHTER! YOU BITCH!" is probably the best line in the series.
* All of the Horcruxes were believably done away with, which I'm glad for, because that could have been done too fast.
* Percy redeeming himself was great, nice scene.
* The first chapter was a great way to start the book and my favorite opening chapter.
* All of the Malfoy's living is, while unexpected, nice to see.
* McGonagall was great! Maggie Smith is going to have a ball.
* All the characters got a little bit of spot light (which I feared after seeing basically none of them for over half the book).
* The end battle of Hogwarts is perhaps one of the best large-scale battles to ever be conceived.

And, as for the eventual movie: They better keep a lot of things (including ALL of the deaths) as they can't really get by cutting out a lot. I think a longer running time will not affect its box office, it the last Harry Potter after all!

- I hope they keep the "MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" scene, as Julie Walters and Helena Bonham Carter would be great in it!
- The end battle will be an amazing scene to behold on film!
- I hope they get Imelda Staunton back, she seemed willing to return.

I think that the scene in PoA that made JKR get goosebumps is either, the scene when Snape protects the trio from Lupin, or the scene with Dumbledore and Snape in the great hall when all the students are in sleeping bags (as that conversation seems to fit right in with the ones in Snape's memories)

Overall, fantastic book! My favorite in the series! Which is now...

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix
6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone
7. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

They are all great books, and a great series! It feels sad to know that I will never read a Harry Potter book with all the surprises again, but I knew it was comming, so I can except it.

I will continue to discuss the book here, as there is so much more to say! But this is it for now.

Thank you, JK Rowling.
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

Disneykid wrote:
Dottie wrote:I still don't understand the "Remember my last, Petunia" from Book 5. Does anyone here?

The "Remember my last" howler was probably referring to the letter left with baby Harry, explaining the magical protection Privet Drive had.
Oh yeah, right, so she didn't need to explain it in this book, since she's already done that.

Another thing I liked was that already on the first 50 pages so much was happening, although Hedwig's death really hit me, it was like "What the heck, why?" That's the first time I started to cry while reading the book which happened many more times until I had finished.
But the death of Hedwig, I think also kind of foreshadowed that more was going to happen, it would get dark, and more people would die. She was only the beginning, it went on with Mad-Eye and all the others.
Some of the scenes were just so strong it just hits you emotionally.

Another great scene is the fight between Mrs. Weasley and Bellatrix. I had always thought that this would be Neville's fight, but then Mrs Weasley who was alway shown as someone who tries to keep everybody safe, steps in with this awesome line and just fnshes her off. I was like "Whoa, Mrs Weasley!!"

Who else cried while reading and when did you have to cry most?

The scene that had me sobbing is after Harry leaves Snape's memories and relizes that he has to die, and I thought: "She's really gonna do that to us, she's gonna kill him." I just started sobbing and after he opens the Snitch it got worse when he asks his mom and the others to stay with him. Just so powerful!!

So, what about the movie? It certainly will have to be 3 hours long if they want to give everything enough time. It seems hard to cut anything out, but I guess what they really can shorten is the whole camping stuff after they get the locket and when nothing happens until Ron leaves and then saves Harry's life pulling him out if the lake.
And they will have to include Lily after all after they cut her out of movie 5 (I guess she was cut, since someody was cast as Lily Potter).
That was so moving, when Harry saw all of Snape's memories, and how he had always loved Lily from early childhood on. It gave us a whole different picture of Severus Snape and explained all his actions throughout the series.

And I am seriously gonna freak out if the "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" doesn't make it into the script.
Last edited by Dottie on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Finished it yesterday RIGHT before my youth group event so I was really happy about that. I spent the previous hours and day finishing it.

Overall, I loved this book. I thought I would hate it because it didn't take place at Hogwarts...but I thought wrong.

What I liked:
*The whole scene getting Harry to the Burrow.
*How EVERYONE was included in fighting Voldemort's army to defend Hogwarts. I am a sucker for school unison.
*Everyone randomly coming into the Room of Requirements.
*Percy being forgiven by his family.
*When James, Lily, Lupin and Sirius stood beside Harry. This is one of the things I like about the Harry Potter series. Rowling includes parts where Harry's parents come back for a split second even if they're dead.
*Mrs. Weasley's line. Glad to see everyone else loved that line as well.
*Harry talking to Voldemort one on one and dissing him and calling him Riddle.
*Thank you, thank you for not including Ginny in the last scene when Harry walked into Dumbledore's office.

What I didn't like:
*Ginny.
*Fred dying. I wouldn't be surprised if Weasley's Wizard Wheezes went out of business. At least kill the twin with a missing ear!
*The Epilogue. JK should have left that out. WHY would Harry name his children James, Albus Severus, and Lily? That's just...bizarre and cheesy.

I had a lot more but I can't recall a lot.

By the way, the book was so not 784 pages! (I think they are counting the random blank pages in the back and the title pages though.)
MagicMirror
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MagicMirror »

I finished it a few hours ago.

I was so glad that nearly everyone from the entire series was either mentioned or appeared, and that this seemed in no way forced. However, I was disappointed with the lack of closure for the Dursleys; I felt they should have received some more attention, as we don't find out what happens to them, but I was pleased at the hint of Dudley's redemption. I was ecstatic at Umbridge's return - definitely the best villain of the entire series.

My favourite moments were: Umbridge's sadism being well suited to the new regime; Harry 'earning' Kreacher's loyalty, and Kreacher's subsequent efforts to help Harry; Bathilda's 'secret' (very creepy, absolutely brilliant!); McGonagall, Flitwick and Sprout preparing for, and participating in, the battle; Neville's moment of glory; and Molly's line (you know the one I'm talking about)!

I couldn't help but think that the vision Ron saw before he stabbed the Horcrux was JKR's revenge on the fangirls who kept insisting that Harry and Hermiony get together! I was also pleasantly amused to read that Draco Malfoy went bald early!
Last edited by MagicMirror on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

I finished reading last Sunday...

Glad to see
*Yes! Charity Burbage. I wanted to find out who the teacher of Muggle Studies was for the longest time. Unfortunately we never found out who the teacher of Ancient Runes is.
*Hogwarts visited. If Hogwarts had not played such a major role in the final chapters this last book would be pointless to the series. The number of books relates to the school year, and if Harry had not appeared at Hogwarts, then the point of having 7 books would be futile.

Deaths
*Hedwig was the worst death. It happened so quick and it was sad.
*Scrimegeour was a pretty sad death. He died because he wouldn't tell where Harry was. Very noble of him.
*Ted Tonks was a new character, so I didn't really show any affinity, but it was sad.
*Snape. I was crushed when Snape died. He was one of my favorite characters (along with Luna).
*Mad-Eye. I really didn't care when Mad-Eye died, but it set an ominous tone to the rest of the book.
*Fred. I could care less that he died. The twins were the single most annoying things in the whole series, and I'm glad he's gone.
*Charity Burbage. Right after meeting her, she died, it was sad that she only wanted to help muggles.
*Dobby. A terrible death, poor Dobby.
*Tonks. Isn't it ironic that she and Lupin died, the same way in which Harry was taken away from his parents that Teddy Tonks was taken away from his.
*Lupin. I was very sad Lupin died. He was another of my more favorite characters, however the way J.K. Rowling played his and Tonk's death, it seemed like no big deal to her.

The whole series needs to be redone on film. Too many important things have been cut from the books and need to added in. Book 5 is the worst scenario. Hmm, we saw no Winky in the last book, haha.
Last edited by castleinthesky on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

castleinthesky wrote:
*Lupin. I was very sad Lupin died. He was another of my more favorite characters, however the way J.K. Rowling played his and Ron's death, it seemed like no big deal to her.
Hmm....I don't seem to remember that person dying.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Just curious, did anyone catch a mention of Dumbledore's Phoenix, Fawkes?
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

magicalwands wrote:Just curious, did anyone catch a mention of Dumbledore's Phoenix, Fawkes?
Unfortunately, Fawkes wasn't mentioned at all. Fawkes probably died, or just flew somewhere else because in HBP it said something about Harry never hearing Fawkes' song again (this is after Dumbledore's death).
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Fawkes must just have gone elsewhere, because Phoenixes can't die, according to "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them".
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"