Asperger's Syndrome/ Autism Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

we got so off topic in the "It gets better"thread, we might as well continue.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Well I made some progress....

Manged to focus my energy towards my job and that really improved my working skills, I bust tables/handle dishes at the pizza parlor and I do maintence at a RV Resort's store.

As for society, I've been socializing uptown and made some real good friends who also understand/respect my disabilty. In turn I show 'em a different side of life and they show me their views, so it's a even trade.

Still workin on the Romance department, but due to work particaly slowing down at the time I'm able to browse for a bit. I've met a few girls who REALLYY get me beyond the asperger/autism which means alot to me.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I have always thought that I was Autistic, but I have been told recently by doctors and other people that I am more Asperger's Syndrome than Autistic.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

PixarFan2006 wrote:I have always thought that I was Autistic, but I have been told recently by doctors and other people that I am more Asperger's Syndrome than Autistic.

Asperger Syndrome is in the Autism Spectrum...there are many types of Mental stuff that is not quite autism but is in the family, Sovents Syndrome as in Rain Man,

Here is a great page that tells the misconceptions of which are autism and in the autism spectrum which apparently are 2 different things...

http://www.autismepicenter.com/autism-types.shtml

And this has Info on Savant's Syndrome which can be autism too..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome

Also Mason_Ireton,

I have found love, My Sister brought her over from a college they both went to at the time and me and her friend hit it off because we didn't like the noise of Top gun blasted to max sound in the speaker that my dad does...Anyway I went into another room and my mom explained that I have Aperger Synrome a high functiong type of Autism and Jessica told my mom she had that two and she hung out with me and she was on my computer watching Silly Symphonies on Youtube and she's 20 years old and she was laughing and enjoying them....and I thought...wow that's a turn on right there :P She said she likes Disney films and The History of the Titanic, and WWE wrestling....and a month later we ended up dating and now we have been together 7 months. She is going home to Wisconsin for Christmas but will be back in IL as the college she goes to now is right down the road from our house...

Some People told me to go to places and ask a random girl out and I said no....they said that I would never meet someone just staying at home....well I guess they were wrong. We do have some issues sometimes but we work them out or just call agree to disagree when it comes to politics (she would Like a Former govenor of Alaska to be President in 2012 and thinks Obama was not born in america aka birther conspiracy....but we put that aside and so we don't talk about politics unless we're just teasing each other...so don't give up Mason...there issomeone outt here for everyone
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

How many Ud-girls/women have apserger I wonder? I've heard that the ration of girls/women with asperger vs boys/en is 1/10. So we aspie girsl are truly a minority!

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

BelleGirl wrote:How many Ud-girls/women have apserger I wonder? I've heard that the ration of girls/women with asperger vs boys/en is 1/10. So we aspie girsl are truly a minority!
I know Margos has Asperger Syndrome who is on this very forum
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Thanks for the advice DisneyBoy, greatly appricated.. I haven't given up COMPLETLY just stickin with friends til I find a back up job.

Course I found a unexpectated match in one of my friends, but it's weird...cause we view each other as bro/sis respectivly yet we've spoke of possibly dating..Idk. She's highly smart, emotionaly/physcialy attractive with a sincere, loving, respectful, humorus personality which I find extremely attractive.

You're also correct Disney Boy, Margos is a fellow Aspie (it's a inside joke for me/her) along with Prudence and few other fellow UD members... I'll have to check the thread.
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
BelleGirl wrote:How many Ud-girls/women have apserger I wonder? I've heard that the ration of girls/women with asperger vs boys/en is 1/10. So we aspie girsl are truly a minority!
I know Margos has Asperger Syndrome who is on this very forum
I know about Margos too. Some other aspie-woman here beside Margos and me?

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

maybe im using my as as an excuse but i havent been doing much at all lately
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Hi peeps, great to read all your stories! Is this solely for Asps/Autists?

Cuz, I don't wanna go as far as say I'm autistic, but I do have a disorder. What's the difference between, for example, having Asperger and having a disorder?

I'm bipolar/borderline personality, in combination with a dissociative personality disorder. Not really great to live with, though these last years I'm slowly starting to accept it and adjust my life.

It's also hard to find a job, cuz I'm afraid they'll think I'm not good for the job and screw up during the interview or they'll think I'm too old or ugly. I can't handle rejection very well.

That's not all though, the list goes on and on...;)
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I've seen your pics Khonner and you do not look old or ugly!!!! my favorite picture is the last one where we can see your face really well and I'm just gonna say it, you're actually really cute.

So you put that face out there and get the people and jobs you want! Maybe some job where you work at a desk and don't have to talk to anyone you don't want to, or maybe you could work at home. But people would love to see at least your cute face!
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Khonnor wrote: It's also hard to find a job, cuz I'm afraid they'll think I'm not good for the job and screw up during the interview or they'll think I'm too old or ugly. I can't handle rejection very well.
This may sound surprising to some people here, but I also get this crap as well. Though not because of the old/ugly thing. In fact I don't think most jobs based stuff on appearence unless it's something like modeling.

Anyway, yeah, while i'm not really afraid, it more about if my skills aren't good enough for application. So I constantly work on my profolio. Yet no matter what I do, I still am not impress with my own drawings.

I don't know how it is with you though.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Disney Duster wrote:I've seen your pics Khonner and you do not look old or ugly!!!! my favorite picture is the last one where we can see your face really well and I'm just gonna say it, you're actually really cute.

So you put that face out there and get the people and jobs you want! Maybe some job where you work at a desk and don't have to talk to anyone you don't want to, or maybe you could work at home. But people would love to see at least your cute face!
Ah, thank you for saying that. It's just how I feel inside, you know? I always feel like, why apply when there are hundreds of 16 year old big breasted girls or muscled guys also trying to get that job. It seems pointless.

I did sent out four applications last week, already got two responses saying they already hired someone else. Ah well.

I totally forgot I posted pictures of myself here...haha...;
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Super Aurora wrote:This may sound surprising to some people here, but I also get this crap as well. Though not because of the old/ugly thing. In fact I don't think most jobs based stuff on appearence unless it's something like modeling.

Anyway, yeah, while i'm not really afraid, it more about if my skills aren't good enough for application. So I constantly work on my profolio. Yet no matter what I do, I still am not impress with my own drawings.

I don't know how it is with you though.
Well, it's kinda like that, in the difference that I don't draw...haha. I do feel like my resume isn't good enough and keep "spicing" it up...but in the end I KNOW it's just my own insecurity.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Khonnor wrote: Ah, thank you for saying that. It's just how I feel inside, you know? I always feel like, why apply when there are hundreds of 16 year old big breasted girls or muscled guys also trying to get that job. It seems pointless.
Not to mention all the Mexicans..........unless you're not in America. :P
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

ajmrowland wrote:Not to mention all the Mexicans..........unless you're not in America. :P
LOL.....no, I live in The Netherlands, Europe...:) Mexicans are about the only group of people we don't have any problems with....;)
Cheshire_Cat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cheshire_Cat »

I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was 12. Prior to that, though, it was already understood that I had some sort of speech delay, because I had spent two and a half years in a special ed preschool before starting kindergarten.

My mom said that by the time I was three years old, I was no longer talking, but instead making incoherent babbling noises. That's when she enrolled me in preschool. I regained my ability to talk soon thereafter, although I didn't learn to pronounce my "S"s properly until kindergarten.

Until the 3rd grade, I was taking regular speech therapy sessions. To this day, I receive various accomodations in schools.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I was wondering, for that Neurotypical site, it said that this was a sympton (and thus, actually something people are "normally" supposed to be able to do):

Pseudosimultaneous Awareness Disorder

"...subjective experience of processing multiple modes of awareness simultaneously, which may sometimes result in odd beliefs, delusions, or disorganised speech."

...if symptoms are accompanied by the belief that the Illusion of Simultaneous Awareness is a real experience, and not an illusion. This belief persists constantly despite the person being given logical and persuasive evidence to the contrary."

What does that all mean? That autistic people can't deal with all the things they sense in life...at any given time?! Or just when, maybe, there's too much going on, like a lot of people? And actually it's been scientifically proven (or they think) that nobody can simultaneously take in all sensory things anyway...?
4th Life of Thomasina
Limited Issue

Post by 4th Life of Thomasina »

I know I'm new to the forum, but I figure it would be good for me to put it in writing so that I can process. I went to a psychiatrist this afternoon for an evaluation and he diagnosed me with Asperger's.

He thinks that I went undiagnosed when I was a child and that it would explain some of my various traits such as difficulty maintaining eye-contact, having problems moving past old events/topics, problems meeting/interacting with new people, and a heightened sense of anxiety.

Is there a recommended website that I should review so I can try to find out more about Asperger's? I'm still trying to wrap all of this around in my head and I'm not sure where I should start. Any advice would be appreciated.
Currently Watching/Playing/Reading:
Video Game: Epic Mickey
TV Series: Star Trek: The Animated Series
Novel: Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

4th Life of Thomasina, I suggest this website. :)
Accepting Asperger's Syndrome