Anastasia (1997)

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

If I was in that class, I would have raised my hand and say that it's not a Disney movie! You'd be educating your class, and they'd appreciate it (or not)!

I don't remember the ending to this movie (my mom took me to see it when it came out, and I've seen it a couple times since then). I like the music in it, but I think Rasputin is a horrible villain- just a bad character.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

The story of Anastasia - historically accurate or not - is "just a story" as far as that particular animated movie (or any movie) is concerned. I think it makes little sense to judge it on basis of what it is not... :roll:
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Prince Ali wrote:Good grief. Could we please lock this thread already?

We know you hate the ending. We get it! The movie was released 10 years ago, so your complaining isn't going to change it. Like Escapay said, the creator's never claimed that this was going to be the most accurate version of the real story, far from it. The majority of it is fictional, therefore, it's not real. Get over it and move on with your life...and perhaps to different threads.

:roll:
There is no real story. The family got shot but not all the bodies have been found leaving the possibly someone survived. The fear that Disney could make the same mistake with Enchanted makes it worse.
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

why do you complain so much about this, good grief give it a rest its a cartoon
Dark Knight Rulez
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

bradhig wrote:
Prince Ali wrote:Good grief. Could we please lock this thread already?

We know you hate the ending. We get it! The movie was released 10 years ago, so your complaining isn't going to change it. Like Escapay said, the creator's never claimed that this was going to be the most accurate version of the real story, far from it. The majority of it is fictional, therefore, it's not real. Get over it and move on with your life...and perhaps to different threads.

:roll:
There is no real story. The family got shot but not all the bodies have been found leaving the possibly someone survived. The fear that Disney could make the same mistake with Enchanted makes it worse.
True, but just assuming she survived, and this is a big assumption, she did not reclaim the throne. It was later determined the woman who claimed to be Anastasia not have the DNA of the royal family, and likely was not the Anastasia. They could have taken creative license, but they didn't. It's done now. I realize it upsets you, but continually complaining on a message board to people who had nothing to do with the movie won't change that. It just makes you come off as annoying. Please. Give it up.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Don't tell me want to do. You don't own the net.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

:brick:

(What else is there to say, really? Okay, maybe I've got a few things...)

bradhig, I get pissed off at the ending of When Harry Met Sally. I could never stand that their entire friendship was ruined by one night of sex, and hated hated hated that they "realized" that they fell in love with each other. I always felt it was a betrayal of what their friendship stood for: a testament of how men and women *can* be friends without the sex getting in the say (a theory that was always tossed around throughout the movie). Now, I probably hate that ending more than any other ending in the universe. But I *do not* let it get to me. I *do not* bitch and moan and complain to anyone and everyone about it. Nor do I start a topic about it, and resurrect it every couple of months to continue my disdain for it.

So, what I'm trying to say is. Just...stop. Please. We ALL know how much you hate the ending. We all know that you wish they did it differently. But no amount of complaining and continuous thread-bumping and continuous "I hate this rubbish ending!" posts will EVER change the way it ended. We won't have Don Bluth come in, read your posts, and say, "Oh my god, I was wrong 10 years ago! I should change the ending now!" and fund a multi-million dollar project to redo the last 15 minutes of the film.

The ending stays, as is, and will never ever satisfy you. We get it. You get it. We do not need reminders of it whenever you suddenly remember, that you have an account at UD and feel the need to post "OMG, I HATED THAT ENDING!".

You claim you write fanfiction. Why not just post your fanfic stories here, instead of constantly complaining about something you have no power over? It'd be a breath of fresh air for the rest of us, and a way for you to contribute to the forums more creatively and tactfully.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I actually like the ending, to runaway for love to get married, is a perfect ending in my mind, I'm sorry that you don't like it but theres nothing you can do about it
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I am also sick of this thread. Please stop complaining already and stop yelling at evreyone else just because you hate some stupid ending. A lot of movies have bad endings. get over it.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

I can't post my fanfic anywhere its too radical the Dimtiri Whores will use up the bandwidth on my site and shut it down.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I haven't gotten into this "argument", but this is a Disney site, so our members aren't Dimitri "whores". I know that we'd love to read your fanfics- we're not evil here or anything...we're a nice, caring, supportive group!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

bradhig wrote:I can't post my fanfic anywhere its too radical the Dimtiri Whores will use up the bandwidth on my site and shut it down.
Are you seriously *that* paranoid that there are naysayers to your "radical" fanfic that they'd flock *here* and ruin it for you?

Again, all I can do is...

:brick:

Kid, you gotta realize that not everyone's out to get you.
blackcauldron85 wrote:we're not evil here or anything...
Except when it comes to arguments about Chicken Little. Then everyone's evil and friendships are broken up if one person likes it but the other doesn't. :twisted:

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Go look at the Anastasia forum on IMDB it crawls with them. If I start posted fanfic links from my site I don't want them getting their hands on it.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

bradhig wrote:Go look at the Anastasia forum on IMDB it crawls with them. If I start posted fanfic links from my site I don't want them getting their hands on it.
That's imdb. Everyone's crazy over there.

Simply make a topic here and post the actual fanfic in it, you don't have to link to it.

And I doubt they'd stalk the UD forums, find it, copy/paste it in the Anastasia forums at imdb, and rip it to shreds. Even "Dimitri whores" have better things to do. :roll:

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

First draft of Anastasia script

Post by bradhig »

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Anastasia.html

It's very different from the film version. THe final battle with Rasputin takes place on the Eiffel Tower with Rasputin turning Dmitri against Anastasia. Creepy version. Ending isn't any better thou.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

BUMP! It's the return of UD's oldest Anastasia thread!

I did this because I have to post the reasons why I think this film is superior to any Disney animated film released in the 1990s:

1. The songs. This is one of those really rare animated movies where I like all the songs. Not some or most, but all, even the expected pop song that plays over the end credits is enjoyable for me and I really can't say this for most Disney films. Both "Journey to the Past" and "Once Upon a December" got Golden Globe nominations and "Journey" got the subsequent Oscar nomination too.

2. The voice work. The film certainly has a celebrity filled cast but it's never a case JAMES WOODS IS Hades or ROBIN WILLIAMS IS the Genie where actors are picked for marquee value. they work for their respective characters and I don't think of the actors when I hear the voice (as much as I enjoy hearing Angela Lansbury and Bernadette Peters).

3. Anya. Her character is much more likable than most Disney heroines who seem really dull by comparison. Anya is a character who not only has the ability to speak her mind or go where she wants when she wants, but she also is the character who stops the villain and shows a kind of wit and quick thinking that Belle and Ariel could only hope to have. The voice work of Meg Ryan also really ads to her character's appeal and how can you not love a character who isn't afraid to show no shame punching a guy in the face or get bitchy when she wants to be?

4. Dimitri...oh hell everybody! First off I really enjoy the lack of love at first site in this film and the male character's change in personality that makes much much less boring than Eric or John Smith, he may be there to try and save the day, but at least he's not the one who succeeds just because he's a guy. Then there's the rest of the cast who regardless of their appearance of begin cliche sidekicks at least all contribute to advancing the plot which makes them much less forced (Bartok helps us to understand Rasputin's weakness, Pooka leads Anya to St. Petersburg and shows her where dynamite is on the train etc.).

5. The score by David Newman. Fantastic and well deserving of it's Oscar nomination.

6. The CinemaScope ratio, which allows for much more dynamic staging than Disney's barely widescreen 1.66:1 CAPS process. All the musical numbers make good use of the ratio and the action sequences certainly do so as well.

7. No low brow humor (fart/burp jokes etc.) to make the film look like it's pandering to kids.

I'll post more later, but it's a start.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:The voice work of Meg Ryan also really ads to her character's appeal and how can you not love a character who isn't afraid to show no shame punching a guy in the face or get bitchy when she wants to be?
Is that right? For some reason I never knew Meg Ryan was in this movie. No wonder Anya always annoyed me for some reason.
7. No low brow humor (fart/burp jokes etc.) to make the film look like it's pandering to kids.
Ugh...Bartok, Rasputin, and Pooka? Sure, there might not have been "fart" jokes, but making humor of gross body parts falling off doesn't seem like "high" brow humor. And I could be wrong, but Hunchback and The Lion King are the only 90s Disney films I remember having this kind of thing occur.

As for my personal opinion on this film, I think the only thing I remember liking about it was the music. Oh, and the "Once Upon A December" sequence, with the dancing ghosts. Not my favorite film Don Bluth's worked on.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Is that right? For some reason I never knew Meg Ryan was in this movie. No wonder Anya always annoyed me for some reason.
Says so in the beginning of the end credits. I guess you don't like When Harry Met Sally either, right?
Disney's Divinity wrote:As for my personal opinion on this film, I think the only thing I remember liking about it was the music. Oh, and the "Once Upon A December" sequence, with the dancing ghosts. Not my favorite film Don Bluth's worked on.
Well I don't care what you say because it has an 85% approval rating on RT. :P
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Flanger-Hanger wrote: Says so in the beginning of the end credits. I guess you don't like When Harry Met Sally either, right?
Sort of. I just don't like Meg Ryan.

Well I don't care what you say because it has an 85% approval rating on RT. :P
That's nice to know, considering I was giving, as I said, "my personal opinion" in the Anastasia thread. Don't jump on the offensive--it wasn't as if I was trying to change your mind. Why in the world would I waste my time doing that? :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Don't jump on the offensive--it wasn't as if I was trying to change your mind. Why in the world would I waste my time doing that? :)
You want to take over the world one mind at a time. I know it.