Rank the Disney/Pixar Films

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Here is how I rank the Pixar films:
1. Ratatouille: I know the film just came out, but I absolutely love it. It is perhaps the most adult and sophisticated film Pixar has ever made with some deep allusions about life, dreams, friendship and even racism. Amazing movie.

2. Finding Nemo: The movie is so incredibly simple, yet it is extremely enduring and filled with wonderful characters. Reminds me a lot of a slice of life Ghibli film.

3. Monsters Inc.: Like Nemo after it, the movie features a great cast of characters and a wonderful message about facing your fears. Sulley is such a big lug!

4. Cars: I know everyone loves to hate this movie, but even if its true the movie has some flaws it is far from the disaster everyone made it out to be. Characters may be ripped out of the book of old stereotypes but I can't help but fall in love with them, Mater specially.

5. The Incredibles: The action sequences are perhaps some of the best created for an animated film and the storyline is filled with adult thoughts and themes. It doesn't click as well as the other films did, but I still enjoyed it.

6. Toy Story 2: Even if both Toy Story films are not as inspired as the films that came after it they are still some of the best movies to date. Toy Story 2 improved on so many things its amazing that at one point this was going to be a DTV movie. What I love the most about this movie is that the antagonist is never apparent till the very end thanks to his manipulation skills.

7. Toy Story 1: I'm sorry, I know this was Pixar's first effort, but when compared to the movies that came after it, its just so plain and, dare I say it, boring. It still has very clever humor and the characters are very likable. Its just that its not as engaging as it used to be.

8. A bug's life: Ah yes, the infamous Bug's life. The story is good, yes, but for some reason it doesn't capture my imagination. Hopper is a great villain, but outside that the whole film falls flat.

And that's how I rank the Pixar films.
ImageImageImageImage

Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

With "Ratatouille" coming out on DVD and Blu-Ray I thought this thread could use a bump. I watched my "Ratatouille" DVD last night and though I enjoyed it pretty well in the theater, I gained new appreciation for this film with the second viewing. I was wondering if anyone else's ranking of the Pixar films has changed, because I believe mine has.

Here is my updated ranking:
1. Toy Story / Toy Story 2
2. Finding Nemo
3. The Incredibles
4. A Bugs Life
5. Ratatouille
6. Monster's Inc.
7. Cars
(falling MUCH below all of the other Pixar films)
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

After seeing Ratatouille, here is how I rank the pixar movies.

1.Toy Story
2.Toy Story 2
3.Ratatouille
4.Monsters Inc
5.The Incredibles
6.Cars
7.Finding Nemo
8.A Bugs Life
Balto123
Limited Issue

Post by Balto123 »

1. Finding Nemo
2. Ratatouille
3. Toy Story 2
4. The Incredibles
5. Cars
6. Monsters Inc
7. Toy Story
8. A Bugs Life
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

My rankings could change all of these a few places depending on my mood on any given day, but here's a general idea:

1) Finding Nemo
2) Ratatouille
3) Cars
4) Toy Story/Toy Story 2
5) Monsters Inc.
6) A Bug's Life
7) The Incredibles

They are generally listed in the order in which I was moved/charmed by them. (The top 3 or 4 are VERY close and hard to rank, with any of those conceivably getting the top spot depending on mood)

Note that I liked all of these films, but since I prefer films about animals and anthropomorphic inanimate objects (like toys or cars) over stories about people, this is why I list Incredibles last by a few lengths behind all the others (combined with the more "adult" subject matter)

I really like most of the Pixar based attractions I've experienced at WDW -Finding Nemo the Musical, The Seas, Tough To Be A Bug, and Space Ranger Spin.

The exception is Laugh Floor, which I LOATHE.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Time to update my list since another PIXAR movie has come out.

1. Ratatouille
2. Finding Nemo
3. Toy Story
4. Monster's Inc.
5. The Incredibles
6. Cars
7. Toy Story 2
8. A Bug's Life
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

1.Finding Nemo.
2.Ratatouille.
3.Monsters Inc.
4.Cars.
5.Toy Story 2.
6.The Incredibles.
7.Toy Story.
8.A Bug's Life.
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

All right, here's my top 8 Pixar films.

Films:
8. Finding Nemo
7. Monsters, Inc.
6. A Bug's Life
5. The Incredibles
4. Toy Story 2
3. Ratatouille
2. Cars
1. Toy Story

Shorts:
9. One Man's Band
8. For the Birds
7. Geri's Game
6. Knick Knack
5. Tin Toy
4. Red's Dream
3. Luxo, Jr.
2. Lifted
1. Boundin'
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Well, now since I have seen all of the films, I can rank them again:

1. A Bug's Life - I hate how people always put this last, it is by far not the worst Pixar film and deserves to be at a higher spot then what others put it at. I personally love this film and definitely deserves the number 1 spot

2. The Incredibles - It's a fun, exciting film that I love to watch time and again. Not really sure if it deserves this spot, but I do like it more than others

3. Ratatouille - Being the newest, I find it to be one of Pixar's best. It's a masterpiece and I'm glad that I have finally seen it

4. Toy Story and Toy Story 2 - I can't really seperate them since they are the same characters just with different plots. Good, wholesome films that touch the heart. Though not the best, they were a milestone in animation and character development

5. Monsters, INC. - Quite a fun film with great and lovable characters. I mean, how can you not smile when Boo says, "Kitty!"???

6. Finding Nemo - Though a wonderful film, I don't think the hype helped it much. Sure, great story with fishy characters, but it really isn't that wonderfully fantastic. Just another, sorry Nemo fans, mediocre, in my opinion, film that has great appeal, but isn't all that great

7. Cars - Sorry John Lasseter. I liked the film, I really did, but the whole concept doesn't strike me as interesting, and I didn't feel the film like I did the other Pixar films.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:Well, now since I have seen all of the films, I can rank them again:

1. A Bug's Life - I hate how people always put this last, it is by far not the worst Pixar film and deserves to be at a higher spot then what others put it at. I personally love this film and definitely deserves the number 1 spot
I hate that too! "A Bugs Life" is such a great film - great and creative story with wonderful animation. Granted, it's not number 1 on my list, it's number 4, but that is only because of tough competition. It is nowhere near the bottom of the list. I think this is the most underrated Pixar film.
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Not sure how I missed this thread :lol: I haven't seen Ratatouille yet, but I'll put it where I think it would be after a couple of viewings.

1. Toy Story 2 and Toy Story - Although if I were to rank them seperate, the sequel would be higher on the list. The only thing I didn't care for was how different Andy's Mom looked in the second film.

2. Monsters Inc. - This might fall down a spot after another viewing, but I remember loving it more than the others simply because of Boo.

3. Finding Nemo - Despite the hype I felt the movie lived up to at least some of it, besides how many other movies teach you how to speak whale? :wink:

4. Ratatouille - Right in the middle, I would have put this movie in the first spot simply because it's the newest and therefore more rewatchable but that wouldn't have been fair to the other movies :)

5. A Bugs Life While it was good I just can't sit through it as easily as the movies that are higher on the list.

6. The Incredibles - The first time I saw this I thought "The Incredibles? more like the Incredibly Boring. I found myself more restless than when I sit through Fantasia. It could still grow on me if I ever get around to watching it again.

7. Cars I'm not sure if it's Owen Wilson's horrid voice or the fact I couldn't stand Mater but this movie was not that great. The only good thing about this movie is Bonnie Hunt. I found it hard to connect with the main character and ending up disliking him, sort of hard to enjoy a movie when you don't even like the Hero.
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

1.The Incredibles
2. Cars
3. Toy Story
4. Monsters Inc
5. Toy Story 2
6. Ratatouille
7. Finding Nemo
8. A Bug's Life
Dark Knight Rulez
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

1. Toy Story 2
2. Finding Nemo
3. Ratatouille
4. Toy Story
5. A Bugs Life
6. Monsters Inc
7. Cars
8. The Incredibles.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

1.) Toy Story
2.) The Incredibles
3.) Ratatouille
4.) Toy Story 2
5.) Monsters Inc.
6.) Cars
7.) A Bugs Life
8.) Finding Nemo
Anne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Anne »

Here is an update...

1. Finding Nemo
2. Cars
3. The Incredibles
4. Monsters Inc
5. Ratatouille
6. Toy Story
7. A Bug's Life
8. Toy Story 2

But I have to say that Pixar movies are my favorites... I love them all! It's difficult for me to rank them.
stitcharielbeast
Limited Issue

Post by stitcharielbeast »

1 The Incredibles - I loved every bit of this movie and it really took the medium to great new heights.
2 Finding Nemo - It stirs the imagination quite wonderfully and it looks absolutely beautiful, plus the story is something that'll last for generations
3 Ratatouille - This film spoke to me, it is a love song to Paris and the arts in general.
4 Monsters Inc. - cute and cuddly and has tremendous heart, especially towards the end.
5 Toy Story 2 - I'm a huge fan of movies expanding their universes and Toy Story did it so well.
6 Toy Story - brilliant and adorable story which set up the tone and feel of its predecessors
7 Cars - Probably the most mainstream and 'current' of the Pixar films, which is why i don't really see it becoming as timeless as the others.
8 A Bugs Life - I dunno, something felt missing with this movie, oh I got it, there wasn't enough 'heart' in the film to really drive it home.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

This is going to be tough... I haven't actually watched some of these in the last 3 years, although I enjoy them. I'm not really a fan of Randy Newman, although his songs seem to fit the movies.

For me, these top 6 titles are probably almost neck & neck.

1. The Incredibles (2004) - I watched this 3 times in 2005, once in 2006, once in 2007... I really enjoy this film, maybe because it is more adult than the others (I'm 38 years old.) I am a big super hero fan, as well. Everything in this was dead-on, from the music, to the story, to the characters, to the animation.

2. Ratatouille (2007) - I just watched this for the first time. Again, I felt that the more adult story was very enjoyable. I am a "foodie" so this was great on that aspect as well. Again, I loved all parts of the film: music, story, characters, animation, setting, etc.

3 & 4. Toy Story (1995)/Toy Story 2 (1999) - I'm going to combine these two. It's hard for me to decide which I like better. Toy Story launched Pixar and the CG film genre, and has a lot of classic moments. Toy Story 2 has it's own great moments. I have the deluxe laserdisc box set of tihe first one.

5. Monsters, Inc. (2001) - I love this movie as well. Mike, Sulley, and Boo are great characters.

6. A Bug's Life (1998) - Even though this is rated #6, the difference between it and the others is very slight. I really like the circus troupe bugs, and several of the ant characters.

=====

7. Cars (2006) - I watched it once in 2006. I enjoyed this more than most of the other CG offerings that year, it's not ranked lower than the other Pixar titles because it's bad, just because the top 6 rise above everything else. However, it is a couple notches above Finding Nemo, IMHO.

=====

8. Finding Nemo (2003) - Without saying I dislike it, this is probably my least favorite Pixar film. I can't stand Ellen, although her character ranged from mildly annoying to even a bit likeable in this film. It seems like there was a bunch of "parents finding their lost kid" films around that time, and this one didn't really stand out from the pack.

=-=-=-=-=
"OTHER" Disney CG Films:
=-=-=-=-=

Meet the Robinsons (2007) - Depending on my mood, I *MIGHT* rate this above Cars, and probably above Finding Nemo. I enjoyed this, and I have a soft spot for stories where people from our time go into the future... However, this was almost "TOO" kiddy, it didn't have enough for the adults to enjoy.

Valiant (2005) - I enjoyed this one, it was a different story than you usually see in animation.

Chicken Little (2005) - I enjoyed this, however, I think I would probably rate it lower than any of the Pixar films, except *MAYBE* Finding Nemo. I think I would rate it above Treasure Planet and Atlantis.

The Wild (2006) - I think I preferred Madagascar better. This was another of those "lost kid" films like Finding Nemo, although I probably prefer Finding Nemo.

Dinosaur (2000) - I have this, I don't think I've actually seen it yet.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

As when I ranked the DACs, I feel I must say that I do love all the Pixar films. I definitely have 2 (maybe 3) real favorites, and one in last place, so numbers 3-7 or 4-7 probably change around sometimes.

1. Cars
2. Ratatouille
3. Monsters, Inc.
4. Finding Nemo
5. Toy Story 2
6. Toy Story
7. A Bug's Life
8. The Incredibles
Balto123
Limited Issue

Post by Balto123 »

Although I don't have a dislike for any of Pixar's films, here is my personal preference list-

1. Finding Nemo
2. Ratatouille
3. Toy Story 2
4. The Incredibles
5. Cars
6. Monsters Inc
7. A Bugs Life
8. Toy Story
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

I thought now would be a good time to bump this thread, with Wall-E's theatrical release today in the states. I would love to see/hear how everyone here thinks Wall-E measured up in comparison to the previous Disney/Pixar films.

I still need to take some more time to absorb Wall-E, but I think this is about how my list would look:

1. Toy Story/Toy Story 2
2. Finding Nemo
3. The Incredibles
4. Wall-E
5. A Bugs Life
6. Ratatouille
7. Monster's Inc.
8. Cars