Rank the Disney/Pixar Films

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Rank & Rate the Pixar Films

Post by Jack »

1. Toy Story 2
A major improvement over the original - more heart, cooler sequences, just as much humor, superior animation. {9/10}

2. Monsters Inc.
One of the most imaginative films I've ever seen. The animation is breathtaking, and the scenerios in the movie are downright hilarious. {8.5/10}

3. Toy Story
This one will always hold a special place in my heart as being one of the films I really treasured as a kid. A Breakthrough in every way. {8/10}

4. A Bug's Life
When I first saw this one in theaters, I was turned off by it, and hadn't watched it till I picked up the re-release of CE just a week ago. I really really enjoyed it the second time around. While it isn't as imaginative and charming as TS and MI, I liked the moral of the story and found the humor to be funnier than other Pixar films. {7.5/10}

5. Finding Nemo
Lengthier, more episodic, and lighter on the plot than Pixar's other films, FN is still a fun ride, with some cool characters and hilarious gags. While IMO its the least of their films so far, it still has a nice warmness to it and is great entertainment. {7/10}
Choco Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Choco Bear »

hmm this is hard...
1.Finding Nemo/Monsters Inc/Toy Story 2
Can i have 3 #1 movie :? these were all awsome heartwarming, beautiful imaginative, and hillarious :)
10/10
2.Toy Story
Was awsome story creative and groundbraking
10/10
3.a bugs life
was funny and awsome but nothing special but heimlich(i think thas now u spell it) was hillarious
10/10

i gave all 10/10 but i have my favorites :D
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I haven't yet seen Finding Nemo, so I'll revisit this post once I do. But right now, I'd say:

1) Toy Story
A wonderful story, overflowing with wit, charm, and good-natured adventure. Pixar's best and one of the greatest films of all-time.

2) A Bug's Life
Significantly different from Toy Story, but terrific in its own way. Inspired by the epic films of the '50s/'60s and Kurosawa, among other things, ABL is very inspired. It's a little difficult to relate with ALL of the characters the first viewing, but repeated viewings allow you to really delve into all the film has to offer. Really fabulous atypical protagonist in Flik, and delightful villain Hopper. Plus the visuals are just beautiful. A unique production.

3) Toy Story 2
All the wonderful characters from the first film are back, and that's great. The story, while engaging, doesn't work as well as the first film, and it's somewhat disappointing to see the two buddy leads separated for the majority of this film, particularly when it was their scenes together in the first one that really stood out. I like the Woody's Roundup angle, but it just isn't as approachable as the previous two, and the philosophical stuff might be a slight bit much, following the mostly light-hearted but intelligent first two films. Overall, though, a lot of film, and certainly impressive that it could live up to expectations.

4) Monsters, Inc.
Some of the humor here wavers to physical comedy, rather than the sharp Pixar wit which features prominently in the previous ocassions. But the story is wonderful. I really like the Sulley character, and Boo is just such a hoot, probably their most memorable human character, so far. (Though Sid is unforgettable, too!) Another serviceable score from Randy Newman. And the depths of human emotion that this film are incredible. Excellent storytelling overshadows any minor weaknesses.

So, all four are A+ in my book, and figure near the top of my all-time favorites, but each one has been a little less than the previous, I think.

Hope to see Nemo soon.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Finding Nemo isn't coming out here for a little while, so I'll just rank the ones I've seen. (I don't rate films out of 10, I think that unfairly forces a comparison).

1. Toy Story
I still think the original is the best. It absolutely blew me away when I first saw it, and rekindled a love of animation and 'family' movies that had been dormant in my teens (although my girlfriend thinks I never left my first childhood, let alone entering a second one). It has a unique charm about it that the second one almost recaptured, but not quite...

2. Bug's Life
With the Two Bug Films of that year competing for attention that year, this was the one that had mine. Although I've since become a Woody Allen fan and hence appreciate the Other Bug Film more than I did then, Bug's Life promised a lot (being the follow-up to Toy Story), and I think it delivered. far more vibrantly coloured than the Other Bug Film, it had a more universal appeal, rather than just going for an adult and/or kid audience.

3. Toy Story 2
Loved it before I saw it, and it didn't fall into the 'all sequels suck' category. While looking better than the first, it felt more familiar and thus lost a little of the sense of wonder. There were a few things that annoyed me about the film (mainly in the sequences involving the cowgirl, whatever her name was...). Still, a great film I'm proud to own on DVD.

4. Monsters Inc.
I hope putting this at #4 isn't seen as me not liking this film, far from it. I just didn't like this that much when I first saw it, I think I was expecting something else. However, since it came out on DVD I've watched it a few times. I think it is clever at times, and just downright sweet at others. Whoever did the voice for Boo should be given an Oscar.

Who knows - seeing Nemo might change this list completely, but I doubt it. I'm getting cyncical in my old age.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Porce
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Porce »

1. Monsters, Inc.
This film is so incredibly creative and imaginative (but then, aren't all Pixar films?). The animation is wonderful, especially the fur and fabric on the characters. I also love Boo, she is such a cute character. 10/10

2. A Bug's Life
Five years later still I have not CGI from another studio that looks even half this good. The animation is wonderful and the plot is very creative -- Antz being released a month before it fortunately did not make this movie flop. Also this film was just really funny, and the voice acting is great. 9.5/10

3. Toy Story
What an amazing film. Whether this had been made in hand-drawn or CGI, this film is just great. This film has a lot of heart. 9.5/10

4. Toy Story 2
This film is very good. The new characters are actually neccesary (something rare in sequels) and the plot is just as creative. 9.5/10
The user formerly known as Dacp
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

1. Up (10/10)
2. Finding Nemo (10/10)
3. Monsters, Inc. (10/10)
4. WALL-E (9.5/10)
5. Toy Story 3 (9.5/10)
6. Toy Story 2 (9.5/10)
7. Toy Story (9/10)
8. Ratatouille (9/10)
9. The Incredibles (9/10)
10. A Bug's Life (8.5/10)
11. Cars (8/10)
Last edited by Disneykid on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Loomis wrote:Who knows - seeing Nemo might change this list completely, but I doubt it. I'm getting cyncical in my old age.
Not only are my rankings identical and comments mostly in agreement, but this sentiment can be applied to me, too. Heck, that's probably why they keep getting a little bit lesser for me. Maybe.

:)
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Disneykid wrote:4. Toy Story *** 1/2 Not as easy to sit through as the others, but still a major treat to watch, especially for a first try at feature filmmaking
Not easy to sit through?! Those 75 minutes + credits must really be a killer for you! :P
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

:P I don't mean the whole film, just part it. I think it starts to drag once Woody and Buzz are captured by Sid, and it doesn't pick up again until Woody asks Sid's toys for help. I know that sounds bizarre since the entire sequence in Sid's house is meant to give the story its sense of excitement and danger, but I feel more connected to the first third in Andy's house and the amazing chase finale. Of course, since the time I've written this, other Pixar films (The Incredibles, Cars) have dragged worse than this.
Last edited by Disneykid on Wed May 13, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jabroni76
Special Edition

Post by jabroni76 »

I, myself, haven't seen nemo, so, I will rank the original four that are out right now!!!!

4.Toy Story 2 - While one of the best sequels I have seen for any movie to date, this is my least liked films that pixar made! Why? Because the idea of Toy's had all ready soaked into me. The film, like Toy Story, is not as elaborate as the other two films, yet, it has no reason to be -- the story is so simple, which makes both Toy Story's super good movies!

3.Toy Story - Pixar's first feature length film, and a very good movie! This film, along with it's daughter (or son), has the most enganging characters. You feel right with all of the toy's.

2. Monsters Inc. - This movie is SUPURB! The way the film was animated was beautiful. The story is one almost every human can relate too -- how many times were you afraid to go to sleep because you thought monsters existed in your closet (see my point?). Also, Monster's Inc. is of the more funnier Pixar films, making it stand as one of Pixar's best!

1.A Bug's Life - My favorite film by Pixar to date! It is sort of like the Pinocchio of Pixar -- Inventive, and told visually with a profusion of detail and skill and confidence. Like Pinocchio, it doesn't have laugh's, and all the fun songs, but it is a statement of ability! A Bug's Life, is totally fun to watch and beautiful. So, this makes A Bug's Life, my favorite Pixar Movie to date!
maj
Limited Issue

Post by maj »

1. toy story 2- one of the few films that all of a student house can laugh along to. Helped a lot by the many film references in there. Improves on an already excellent first film

2. toy story

3. Monsters inc- I thought that this was awesome the 1st time I saw it, but to be brutally honest, it doesn't really stand up to repeat viewings as well as the 2 aforementioned films do

4. Bug's life. Sorry- preferred the other bug movie of that year better.

Finding Nemo's not out yet over here yet, so can't really comment
Cinderelly
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cinderelly »

After seeing Finding Nemo, i'll have to say that its sits at #1 in my book. Nemo and squid (the baby turtle's name ?) were too cute for words. I thought the whole storyline was great. So great that my mother even liked it! :o

Closely following Nemo in 2nd place is Monsters Inc.,
Coming up 3rd is Toy Story 2.
#4 is A Bug's Life.
Fifth but still VERY awesome is the original Toy Story.

I love all of these films and i cannot wait to see the Incredibles!!! I would be a fool not to have all of the Pixar films in my DVD collection. I hear that Nemo is coming out on DVD the same day that the Indiana Jones' trilogy is supposed to. Sorry Indiana, Nemo comes first. :P
Inigo: I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
Westley: Do you always begin conversations this way?

Inigo: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

Today I went to see Finding Nemo but alas, I was one of many victims (including upset children) to a sold-out show. :( Instead I saw The Italian Job, a good action movie that I enjoyed. I still desperately want to see the latest Pixar project, so I guess I'll have to better plan my ticket-buying to more than 10 minutes ahead of showtime. :roll:
What would this wretched world be like without Disney?
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

I'm usually most iimpressed with whichever one is the newest out, but then I keep changing my mind as I revisit the others in hype for the new one, so I'll just say they all completely own the #1 slot. Pixar is the only moviemaking studio today with such a solid track record, and I truly do believe that they can do no wrong.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Matty-Mouse
Special Edition

Post by Matty-Mouse »

I've only seen the first four so far and I have only seen Toy Story 2 once properly but I'd say....
1.A Bugs Life 9.8
2.Monsters Inc 9.7
3.Toy Story 9
4.Toy Story 2 8.9
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?

Well thats actually low in fat so you can eat as much of that as you like.
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

It is hard to say but I guess:
#1 Toy Story/Toy Story 2 (tied) Toystory, the one that started it all (for CGI)
#2 Finding Nemo (Great film)
#3 Monsters Inc. (this was OK)
#4 A Bug's Life (It was enjoyable, though it has been so long since I've seen this. This might replace Monsters as #3)
Eeyore
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Eeyore »

This is tough, Pixar films are amongst some of my all time favourites. I'll start at the "bottom", which is a complete misnomer.

#5 - Finding Nemo - A good film, not great. Perhaps my expectations were too high. So much of the film is about father/son love, that as a childless adult it was tough to relate sometimes. Only a few really laugh out loud moments.

#4 - Toy Story 2 - An excellent film, it falls to #4 solely because of the sequel factor.

#3 - Monsters, Inc.
#2 - A Bug's Life
#1 - Toy Story

Three excellent films, all completely different, but all very funny, touching, beautifully animated with great stories. With things so close, only the tiniest details cause one film to drop or another to rise. So, MI drops because of the Boo factor (again, childless adult), while TS rises because of the fact that it was first.
Bella Notte

Post by Bella Notte »

1. A Bug's Life
2. Finding Nemo
3. Monsters Inc.
4. Toy Story
5. Toy Story 2
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

1. Monsters Inc
2. Toy Story
3. Toy Story 2
4. Finding Nemo
5. A Bug's Life- very underrated
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

After having re-watched all the Pixar films a lot recently, I've reorganized my rating/ranking of the films. Here's how it stands now:

1. Toy Story - 9.5/10
2. A Bugs Life - 9.5/10
3. Monsters, Inc. - 8.5/10
4. Toy Story 2 - 8.5/10
5. Finding Nemo - 7.75/10