Apple to Buy Disney?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Iger joins Apple Board

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Bob Iger’s Memoir On Apple: “If Steve (Jobs) Were Still Alive, We’d Have Combined Our Companies”
https://deadline.com/2019/09/walt-disne ... 202738354/

Whoa. I pre-ordered Over's memoir months ago; I'm so excited to read it!
Sotiris

Re: Apple to bid for Disney?

Post by Sotiris »

I think we're all glad that a merger never materialized.
Bob Iger wrote:More than that, I believe that if Steve were still alive, we would have combined our companies, or at least discussed the possibility very seriously.
Source: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/09 ... steve-jobs
Q: You know, you mentioned in the book, the idea that if Steve had lived, Disney and Apple might have become one. Did you guys ever really talk about Apple buying?

Bob Iger: No, Steve and I never did. What we did talk about and he was public about at one point at one of his late Apple product presentations, he stood in front of a street sign with an intersection I think one said liberal arts and one said technology. That's what made his heart sing. I think that's how we put it that intersection. So what we talked about a lot was what happens when great technology meets great creativity. He thought that means that to him was the secret sauce for almost everything. And if you, if you project that into how the world was changing and you think of a world where suddenly the opportunity to use that technology to create new experiences for people in terms of how they access content, the natural thing would have been for Apple to have the great content that Disney creates applied or used on their platform. And I know I'm pretty convinced we would have had that discussion. And you know, that was maybe someone wistful of me when I wrote that, but I just knew of his passion for everything we did and everything Apple did and then his deep, deep belief that nothing would be more powerful than that combination. I think we would have gotten there.
Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/21/cnbc-ex ... today.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Apple to bid for Disney?

Post by D82 »

Yes, I'm so glad it didn't happen. That would've been horrible.
Sotiris

Re: Apple to Buy Disney?

Post by Sotiris »

Apple Could Look to Acquire Disney Amid Stock Drop, Analyst Says
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ys-1284475
blackcauldron85

Ummm, Disney would have to actually be for sale, Apple. Does Bob C. have power...or does Bob I. still hold pretty much all the power? And the Disney shareholders surely would have to vote. Would Apple support Windows + Android? :( I truly don't want to see Disney being bought...
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Ummm, Disney would have to actually be for sale, Apple. Does Bob C. have power...or does Bob I. still hold pretty much all the power? And the Disney shareholders surely would have to vote. Would Apple support Windows + Android? :( I truly don't want to see Disney being bought...
That's what I wondered earlier in this thread, I see from re-reading everything. Can't Disney just say, no, we don't want to be bought and that be the end of it? :lol: It's not like Apple can force them to sell.

I just wonder what would happen if Disney did sell to Apple though. Maybe the leadership would change and there would be better treatment of some of their older films? Who knows.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

^ I see your old post! #GreatMinds :p Omg I do not want a "hostile takeover" like what was going on with Disney in the 80s. Leave Disney Alone!
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Apples buys Disney, and suddenly iPhones, iPads, apple computers and apple-TV are the only devices you can watch Disney's streaming services on.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Apples buys Disney, and suddenly iPhones, iPads, apple computers and apple-TV are the only devices you can watch Disney's streaming services on.
And you can kiss physical releases on blu-ray goodbye. To this day Macintosh computers do not officially support blu-ray drives. I doubt there'd be newfound love for the format with Apple at the helm.

To quote the-guy-with-the-moustache (bear with me lol :lol: ) in The Sword in the Stone:

"What a dreadful thought!"
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Keep in mind this is only one analyst suggesting this. Doesn't mean it's actually going to happen. And with everyone being affected by the coronavirus, I feel like these massive companies have a bit more on their mind right now than gobbling up other companies. The article mentions Disney being seriously affected by the virus, but Apple won't be doing too great, either, as their stores have shut down for the time being. Apple's shares actually fell pretty sharply yesterday.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Does Bob C. have power...or does Bob I. still hold pretty much all the power?
Considering that Bob Chapek still reports to Bob Iger, I'd say Iger is still in power. Well, at least until his contract expires and exits the company at the end of 2021.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

estefan wrote:Keep in mind this is only one analyst suggesting this. Doesn't mean it's actually going to happen. And with everyone being affected by the coronavirus, I feel like these massive companies have a bit more on their mind right now than gobbling up other companies. The article mentions Disney being seriously affected by the virus, but Apple won't be doing too great, either, as their stores have shut down for the time being. Apple's shares actually fell pretty sharply yesterday.
But Apple's stock is still far better than Disney's. I've also heard that Apple will reopen its stores in China very soon, as the COVID-19 situation there seems to be stabilizing.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I hope Apple doesn't take advantage of the situation.

Disney's Credit Rating Downgraded by Fitch Over Virus Impact
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ct-1285280
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Sotiris wrote:I hope Apple doesn't take advantage of the situation.

Disney's Credit Rating Downgraded by Fitch Over Virus Impact
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ct-1285280
I don't know exactly how this is working.. But is there a situation in which Disney would have no other choice left but to be bought, except the obvious one ?
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

It would be truly DISTASTEFUL for Disney to be bought by a company like Apple.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Apple also closed all their stores and with Amazon warehouse workers testing positive they're bound to decrease their value as well. I don't really think this is the time to make an offer for something as big as Disney, much less plan a hostile takeover.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

rodrigo_ca wrote:Apple also closed all their stores and with Amazon warehouse workers testing positive they're bound to decrease their value as well. I don't really think this is the time to make an offer for something as big as Disney, much less plan a hostile takeover.
If memory serves, I believe that Apple is going to reopen its stores in China soon now that the situation there has more or less stabilized, so there's that.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney is trying to raise cash to weather the crisis.

Disney Outlines Risks To Business, Plans To Raise Fresh Cash
https://deadline.com/2020/03/disney-ris ... 202887541/

Disney Seeks To Raise $6B In Fresh Cash With Sale Of Debt Securities
https://deadline.com/2020/03/disney-sel ... 202888933/

Disney Raises $1.3 Billion in New Debt in Canada
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... da-1286934

Disney Enters Into New $5 Billion Credit Agreement
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... nt-1290118

Disney Raises $11 Billion in New Debt
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... bt-1294131
blackcauldron85

^ I had posted one of those in the Bob Chapek thread (but just erased it since you posted it here), asking if anyone understands what all that means, in layman's terms. What are these notes; who's buying them? Is it like a savings bond?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Yes, they're like savings bonds, but issued by corporations instead of the government. Their function is pretty much the same.