Mission to Mars

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Mission to Mars

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

I've got a question for all you Walt Disney World experts here?

According to IMDB trivia section on "Tower of Terror"(you know that lame t.v. movie with Steve Guttenberg and Kirsten Dunst) it says: "Disney used this TV movie to test the waters of turning Disney Theme Park attractions into movies. What followed was Mission to Mars (2000), The Country Bears (2002), _Pirates of the Carribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)_ , The Haunted Mansion (2003) and others".

What theme park ride was Mission to Mars based on? The only one I can think of is "Mission Space" but that ride opened 4 years after the movie was released. Usually I know almost everything when it comes to Walt Disney World trivia, but this has me a bit stumped. Do any of you know? Thanks. :)

T/P fan
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

There was a ride called Mission to Mars at Disney World. It opened with the original opening of the park, but later got replaced by several attractions and now is Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Mission to Mars opened in Tomorrowland at Walt Disney World Florida on the 7th of June 1975, and closed on the 4th of October 1993.

It was based on the earlier "Flight to the Moon" attraction from DisneyLand in Anaheim. Both the Disneyland and Walt Disney World versions of the attraction were updated mainly due to the Apollo space programme, and the first moon landings, after which the Moon which had previously been an unattainable goal became less exciting as a space travel destination.

The Pre-show area featured an Audio Animatronic control room scene, whilst for a while the attraction itself featured film from the Disney TV show "Mars and Beyond".
-http://www.solarius.com/dvp/wdw/mars-mission.htm

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney movie: "Mission to Mars" based on theme

Post by The Little Merman »

Timon/Pumba fan wrote:that lame t.v. movie with Steve Guttenberg
..But everything's better with Guttenberg! :lol:

*tlm
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Didn't check Aaron's link yet, but from what I remember reading in several books, Mission to Mars opened in DLR as a replacement for Flight to the Moon (which got outdated after 1969). It was replaced at DLR by...something else, I don't remember. In WDW-MK I think it was one of the premiere attractions, and was replaced by Alien Encounter (which in turn was replaced by Stitch's Lousy- I mean Great - Escape). I remember loving Mission to Mars as a kid, the only time I remember riding it was in 1993 and 1995.

Haven't seen the Mission to Mars movie, so I can't comment, but I wonder why Disney decided to make a movie based on an extinct attraction. Oh well, maybe that means we'll one day see a movie based on Alien Encounter.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Sotiris

Re: Disney movie: "Mission to Mars" based on theme par

Post by Sotiris »

How Disney’s Mission to Mars Went From Attraction to Brian De Palma Movie Back to Attraction
https://collider.com/mission-to-mars-di ... -de-palma/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Well, welcome to the theme park board, Sotiris! Come on in, the water’s fine! Just don’t drink it- that weird smell is bromine.

I’ve never seen it, but I didn’t know Mission to Mars was connected to two Disney attractions. I knew it was related to Mission: Space but I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of the older attraction. I don’t like Mission: Space much, I only rode the “orange” version once and it hurt my chest afterwards. It’s a cool idea but that scared me away from doing the ride again and I never took my family on it because I thought it would make them sick. The space flight simulator at the Kennedy Space Center is much wimpier but it’s funny because that one has a pre-show with actual astronauts saying it’s the most realistic simulator they’ve ever tried haha.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Well, welcome to the theme park board, Sotiris! Come on in, the water’s fine! Just don’t drink it- that weird smell is bromine.
:lol: I'm really not into the theme parks, so I'm afraid my stay here will be short. :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

You say that now, but on this side we have churros! :lol:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

And Dole Whip!

Mission: Space isn't a favorite attraction of mine but I do like it well enough. I'm not familiar with the Mission to Mars movie; I need to get to work but I'm guessing it was Miramax or Hollywood or Touchstone...