Gender Indicator

Feedback for the site and forum: comments, questions, suggestions welcome.

Should there be Gender Indication in Ultimate Disney Forum member profiles?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 39

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Gender Indicator

Post by Disney Duster »

I suggest a gender indicator in our profiles. Just like our profiles have indicators for Location, Occupation, and Interests, I think we should add Gender to that list.

Ultimate Disney Forum members certainly are curious to know what the genders of other members are, as this thread illustrates: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... ght=gender Some members may not even know that thread exists, since it is in the Off-Topic Forum and I think more people concentrate on the General Forum.

Also, a gender indicator in our profiles would prevent misconceptions like when Alice was assumed to be female just because of his username, and whenever people have written about what other members posted they wrote he when they should have written she, or vice versa, and the member being written about has corrected them.

I really think we should have something for gender in our profiles. People don't have to choose to write what their gender is, just like they don't have to write their what their occupation or interests are.
Alan
Anniversary Edition

Post by Alan »

actually a good idea. I'd like to know what gender everyone is, but does gender really matter when you're talking online?
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Yes, it's a great idea to know everyones gender.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

It's been brought up before but nothing has been done... well I don't know actually what the verdict was from Luke and I'm okay with it. If there was a gender identifier I would probably not use it. Some get confused and call me a female but that's okay. I know I'm male and if no one else knows that then well I guess you have to get to know me more. :)
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

I remember that it was said that would be better not to be created because of what could this represent on troubles for making the addition and also the bandwith that it will take.

But I don´t think it is that needed, we all know each other isn´t?
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

From what was posted many months ago:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... php?t=8142
(anyone know what happened to Dan05? :()

But now, I opt for NO because it's fun to guess the gender.
Like me, I bet newbies think I'm a guy... :( (if it wasn't for the avatar).

But the thing is that's the way to get to know people on the boards! :D
If you want to know the gender, you should keep posting on the board! :p
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
Roger Rabbit
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Roger Rabbit »

Most boards I go to do not have this option, and if you get to know the members you'll know who's what (and who's username suggests otherwise :P ). It's all part of learning about new faces.
<b>You were born original and unique; don't die a copy.</b>
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

RJKD23 wrote:From what was posted many months ago:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... php?t=8142
(anyone know what happened to Dan05? :()

But now, I opt for NO because it's fun to guess the gender.
Like me, I bet newbies think I'm a guy... :( (if it wasn't for the avatar).

But the thing is that's the way to get to know people on the boards! :D
If you want to know the gender, you should keep posting on the board! :p
Yeah I wonder the same thing! I miss his cover survivors! :(

But anyway, I say NO too because it'll take too much bandwidth when we already have 2 threads about genders!
Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I don't there SHOULD be one, but I don't think its a bad idea, but it should be up to the choice of the member themselves if they want their gender to be public.

For those who do want it to be public, it will help curb those, "I'm not a he! I'm a she!" bickerings.

Unless Girl/Guy/Boy/Gal/etc is actually stated in the user name, I don't bother to care if they are a certain gender. Like Alice, I always assumed was a girl, but when he said he was a guy, didn't suprise or bother me. Afterall, there's Alice Cooper, and he's a guy. ;) So unless it states gender in the name, I don't bother. I would certainly participate in listing my gender publically, but I do not believe it should be mandantory.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

I vote "Nay". If we all know each other's genders, it takes away from the fun and the mystery and anonymity of the boards. If people choose to tell their gender, they can do so in the threads or siggys, but we don't need an indicator for it.

And some of us may lie in it anyway...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I voted Yes, because I still don't know everyone's genders here. That and I keep forgetting. I think I forgot Siren's just a week ago or something.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Lazario wrote:I voted Yes, because I still don't know everyone's genders here. That and I keep forgetting. I think I forgot Siren's just a week ago or something.
I think Siren's a male.

And last time I checked (looks down...), yep, I'm a male.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Escapay wrote:
Lazario wrote:I voted Yes, because I still don't know everyone's genders here. That and I keep forgetting. I think I forgot Siren's just a week ago or something.
I think Siren's a male.
Siren is a female. I remember she posted a picture of herself dressed up as Cruella De Ville for Halloween.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

rotfl If I was male, I would be missing something very important right now. S'ok, Lazario thought I was a guy before. Doesn't bother me, makes me laugh. I find it amusing for whatever reason. :lol: There are more guys here then gals, so it's kinda natural to assume male before female.

And Timon/Pumba fan, you have a good memory :D
Alice
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alice »

Well are we at leats getting an option to have an icon that says M/F or not??
Alice coming back with POWER! POWER!
Disney Duster

Gender Indicator

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm sorry that people have made this suggestion before, I really should have searched. And this was just after saying that I would search to see if what I wanted to post about had already been posted before. This will teach me. :oops:

But Luke has only said "not right now". I guess I should have at waited more until I posted this. Is the reason for not having a gender indocator because of bandwith? Because actually, along with what Luke said, a lot of posts are, "Oh, you're a girl?" Or, "Oops, sorry, I didn't know you were a guy." And that takes up bandwith, right? Perhaps those posts are not made as often as I think.

And Lazario, I'm glad you're back! Even though I haven't talked to you on these forums yet, I've read a lot of your posts and I like what you have to say on these forums!
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

I don't care either way, I just guess really. And if I guess wrong well then I'll know and be like "oops, I'm sorry."
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

yep, that seems to be the best

Anywy, the worst that could happen is to just miss
Disney Duster

Gender Indication replacing other Indication?

Post by Disney Duster »

Would anyone want to have Gender actually replace one of the other parts of our profile? Like we'd have Gender instead of Occupation or something else?
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
Anniversary Edition

Post by Alan »

On one of the forums I post at, they have something next to the avatar that says "Gender" and next to that they have the male and female symbols.
Last edited by Alan on Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.