Gender Indicator

Feedback for the site and forum: comments, questions, suggestions welcome.

Should there be Gender Indication in Ultimate Disney Forum member profiles?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 39

The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Post by The Little Merman »

I think that would be cool. I mean, besides the fact that some member's usernames make others think they are of the different sex (Alice), I don't see any real need for one, but I'm down with it!

*tlm
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Adding Gender Option/Icons to Profile

Post by Sotiris »

Just an idea, not sure it will be implemented but I figured it's worth suggesting.

I think it's about time we could set our gender in our profile and have a little gender icon appear on each of our posts or if adding the icons is too complicated or takes too much bandwidth, there could be an open field where the user could write their gender just like the "Location" option.

This would be really useful as it would cut down on confusion and such when replying to others.

What do you think?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

It's a lot more fun guessing.

:P

About six years ago, Luke said "Not anytime soon, unfortunately. I think having an image below everyone's name would be more of a pain than the occassional 'Oh, you're a girl?' post. That could change, but for now, it's not a high priority."

I wonder if he's changed his mind since then.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Escapay wrote:About six years ago, Luke said "Not anytime soon, unfortunately. I think having an image below everyone's name would be more of a pain than the occassional 'Oh, you're a girl?' post. That could change, but for now, it's not a high priority."

I wonder if he's changed his mind since then.

Well, it's been six years. Perhaps, he has reconsidered.

Nevertheless, even if the gender icons are too much of a hassle they could just add a 'Gender' field like they did with 'Location'. That shouldn't be too much trouble, right?
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

If they add this option - or could add it - then, there would have to be a 3rd option that allows people to hide it.

But, of course, playing some games it gets hard to guess. I had to spend 10 minutes searching the "About You" threads to find enough female members here to fill out the "Recast non Disney stuff with UD Members" post. I always thought Scarred4Life was male. I was wrong. Do you know how embarrassing it would've been if I had said she was a "he"?
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lazario wrote:If they add this option - or could add it - then, there would have to be a 3rd option that allows people to hide it.
It could be just like the "Location" option which when you don't enter anything, it's not visible underneath your username in your posts.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I totally remember this being discussed ages ago and people stating our avatars should be a dead giveaway (but that obviously doesn't always help). And sure it's fun guessing . . . until you're wrong. :lol: I'd totally prefer to have the option to display our genders. It doesn't happen much anymore but I do dislike being mistaken for a male. :p
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Lazario wrote:I always thought Scarred4Life was male. I was wrong. Do you know how embarrassing it would've been if I had said she was a "he"?
It's okay, I would have understood. :P I think it would be great to have a gender icon. I tend to start picturing people as their avatars, especially when they don't change it often, so it gets awkward when I want to call everyone with a princess avatar female.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

So, Luke, what do you say?

Will we get a 'gender' option after all? What have you decided?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

We're in the process of updating forum software, so any modifications will have to wait until that is all settled. I'm definitely not in favor of mandatory gender identification but if there is a simple way to make it an optional display for people, I'd be open to doing that.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Luke wrote:We're in the process of updating forum software, so any modifications will have to wait until that is all settled. I'm definitely not in favor of mandatory gender identification but if there is a simple way to make it an optional display for people, I'd be open to doing that.
Thank you for replying. For the record, I was thinking something like the "Location" option which when you don't enter anything, it's not visible underneath your username in your posts.
Sotiris

How to Add Gender to Your Profile

Post by Sotiris »

I have found a way to add gender to your profile. Go to your "Profile" and find the "Location" category. First, write what your location is (it must be 11 characters or more) and then write "Gender: X" in the same line. When you submit and update your profile, the words "Gender: X" go right underneath the "Location" thus creating the illusion that a separate "Gender" category exists.
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

-
Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Thu May 23, 2019 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

No problem! :wink:
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

That's very clever, Sotiris! I'm going to change my profile settings right away. Thanks!
jinkinquackers
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jinkinquackers »

What a great idea, Sotiris! Thanks for the info. :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

You're welcome, everyone!
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Nice solution!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Methinks I shall try this out. ;)
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Yay, I have a gender now! Thanks!