Don Bluth News & Discussion

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Don Bluth thread. Film fav? Etc.....

Post by Disney's Divinity »

blackcauldron85 wrote:So does this mean they're not working on the animated version now? :(

Ryan Reynolds in Talks to Tackle Live-Action Adaptation of '80s Video Game 'Dragon's Lair' (Exclusive)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ir-1279270

And to address my post above from many years ago...I have since rediscovered Bluth's films, and I adore them. Anastasia will always be my favorite, but Nimh, All Dogs, Fivel, Thumbelina, Rock-A-Doodle, Titan A.E.- I love them. And I have come to appreciate Rasputin and the animals in Thumbelina. (Wish we could forget some of our old posts...what was younger me doing with my life w/o Bluth movies I grew up on! I was so loyal & pro-Disney in their darker days...)
I know very little about Dragon's Lair. I didn't even know they were working on an animated adaptation of it.

I grew up with most of Bluth's films. TLBT, An American Tail, and Thumbelina are my favorites. I really liked Titan A.E. and Rock-A-Doodle when I was a child, too, although they're much harder to watch now. I think I was just fascinated by the planets and astronomy when I was young, which may be why I was drawn to both Titan A.E. and Treasure Planet. Although TP has its flaws, I think it's a much better film than Titan A.E. I really only liked Rock-A-Doodle for the villain. Bluth's films definitely have an odd feel to them. I mean, the crocodile in All Dogs Go to Heaven is an example of what I mean. :lol: Totally crazy.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

My favoorie is Thumbelina. It's one of my ALL-TIME favorite aniomated Movies !! :D :D
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:So does this mean they're not working on the animated version now? :(

Ryan Reynolds in Talks to Tackle Live-Action Adaptation of '80s Video Game 'Dragon's Lair' (Exclusive)
I know very little about Dragon's Lair. I didn't even know they were working on an animated adaptation of it.
Yeah, there was a crowd fund:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/drag ... -returns#/

And I agree, Bluth's films have some weird elements, but they are charming in their own way.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

blackcauldron85 wrote: And to address my post above from many years ago...I have since rediscovered Bluth's films, and I adore them. Anastasia will always be my favorite, but Nimh, All Dogs, Fivel, Thumbelina, Rock-A-Doodle, Titan A.E.- I love them. And I have come to appreciate Rasputin and the animals in Thumbelina. (Wish we could forget some of our old posts...what was younger me doing with my life w/o Bluth movies I grew up on! I was so loyal & pro-Disney in their darker days...)
Anastasia for me as well of course! I can't wait to be able to add her to my signature along with the rest of my favorite princesses. I saw NIMH for the first time a few years ago and I did like the artistry of the film a lot although I don't think the blending of magic and science worked too well. I think a rewatch might make me reconsider. I've always found it odd how Don Bluth wanted to recreate the golden age of Disney films and make films in the spirit of Walt Disney but NIMH didn't feature any songs at all. Thumbelina is another film I didn't grow up with but I don't get all the hate for it. It feels like a classic Walt Disney film for me and my only issue is that the CGI looks incredibly dated, almost as bad as the Hydra in Hercules.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I love Thumbelina. But there's problems with it. First, the animals are kinda weird and the title song is kinda babyish, in my opinion. Next, Thumbelina meets Cornelius and then like 5 seconds later they sing "let me be your only love." It feels absolutely unbelievable that they would be in love so quickly. Disney films manage to make characters fall in love fast but also believably. The frog characters are some of the worst racial stereotypes I have ever seen and they don't sit well with me. Then, the sparrow sings that Thumbelina should go on a journey and he doesn't fly her where she needs to go. Then, the bug thinks Thumbelina is great even when he sees her as an "ugly" human, but when the bug parts he puts on her fall off, he goes along with everyone else saying she's ugly. That said, I love the songs, animation, romance, joy, and magic of Thumbelina!
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan97 wrote:My favoorie is Thumbelina. It's one of my ALL-TIME favorite aniomated Movies !! :D :D
I always really liked Thumbelina, too, in spite of the insect characters. It's episodic just like Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book, etc., but I think it succeeds despite that kind of story structure better than those films. I love the music and my favorite scene was always the very ending when she was at the Vale of the Fairies, but she'd given up all hope at that point / become bitter and refused to believe it was real. All of that through to the credits is perfect. I always thought it was interesting to see a heroine have a moment like that in an animated film where their heart had been hardened by the events of the film. I always loved her wedding dress, too. I liked it better than any of the Disney character weddings until Tiana & Naveen's bayou outfits in TP&TF (which it's a shame we don't see as many of the weddings in Disney's films as you'd expect).

Reading about how Jodi Benson was once looked at to play Belle in Beauty and the Beast, I actually don't think it would have been that weird to have the same voice playing the heroine twice in a row as it could've been. Benson gives Thumbelina a different feel than Ariel. She's more childish and a little dimwitted. :lol: Not that Ariel is the sharpest tool in the shed or anything, but not quite as bad as Thumbelina. It comes across like Benson's version of Snow White to me.
blackcauldron85

Disney's Divinity wrote: Reading about how Jodi Benson was once looked at to play Belle in Beauty and the Beast, I actually don't think it would have been that weird to have the same voice playing the heroine twice in a row as it could've been.
I was today years old when I learned that Jodi voiced Belle in House of Mouse!!
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85 wrote: Ryan Reynolds in Talks to Tackle Live-Action Adaptation of '80s Video Game 'Dragon's Lair' (Exclusive)
Memories:

http://am.animatedviews.com/TitanAE.html
Q: I loved Dragon's Lair. You're going to do a full animated Dragon's Lair movie?

Goldman: Well, we're proposing it. Yeah, we're getting a script together now to see if Fox will agree to do it as a feature film. They're interested, but they want to see a script first. We have another meeting with them, another presentation, on the 27th [of May 2000].
So at least eventually we're getting Dragon's Lair...not that they worked on it/pitched it all the time for the past 20 years, but after all this time, it'll finally be out to the world...
Sotiris

Re: Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

Post by Sotiris »

Don Bluth Launches New Studio To Usher In ‘Renaissance Of Hand-Drawn Animation’
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/studios/don ... 96399.html

Animation legend Don Bluth on his new studio, autobiography, and perfecting your craft
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/don-bluth ... aphy-craft
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I wish him luck. He’s more needed now than he was in the ‘80s. It would be nice if he managed to scoop up a lot of the talent that was booted out of Disney once they killed off hand-drawn animation there.
blackcauldron85

I'm excited to see some fables shorts!! I'm hoping that they are able to put out a bunch of new stuff!!

*edit* I'm watching a live stream on Lavalle Lee's YouTube channel, with him cleaning up Don's drawings. I just joined and missed what they started talking about, but he was talking about a Bluth Fables book, so I guess they're doing shorts and books of fables?
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I wish him luck and hope this works out, I think it sucks what ended up happening to Dragons Lair. :|
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Sotiris wrote:Don Bluth Launches New Studio To Usher In ‘Renaissance Of Hand-Drawn Animation’
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/studios/don ... 96399.html
That is one badly drawn rabbit thing. Looks straight off of deviant art.

Still, I'll keep an eye on it.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

For anyone who is interested,I posted Don Bluth's version of Rapunzel from the music video "Mary" by the scissors sisters. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEUZc5j ... P0ZqlSXgk4
blackcauldron85

^ I love it! Gah, can you imagine if Don got to make all the films that he wanted to make? I'd love more fairy tales from him.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Don Bluth always gives guys the best butts and crotches.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^ I love it! Gah, can you imagine if Don got to make all the films that he wanted to make? I'd love more fairy tales from him.
I would have loved to see his version of Beauty And The Beast as it was supposed to be faithful to the Cocteau version but also would have included a witch that would have tried to influence Beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47KxNdIR6z4&t=2s

His stuff for Piper and East Of The Sun and West Of The Moon are just as beautiful.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow Redadoodles great video showing all the Don Bluth Beauty and the Beast art! I wish we had seen his version, too.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm glad his version of Beauty and the Beast hadn't been made because then the Disney version wouldn't have existed.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I highly doubt Disney would care about an independent studios making a film based on the same fairy tale but sure, if I had to choose I would go with the Disney version. Even though, the Cocteau version is the best one for me.
I also like the Russian animated one even though it's quite short.