What do we want in a new Disney film?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

What do we want in a new Disney film?

Post by The_Iceflash »

Thereโ€™s a lot of debates over Disney remakes and controversies surrounding choices made in the making of them. There seems like there are controversies and anger towards many of Disney and Disney Pixarโ€™s output lately. What is it you want from their new films and what donโ€™t you want to see in their new films? Are there any creative teams, writers, etc you want to see more or less of in future films?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: What do we want in a new Disney film?

Post by Farerb »

I feel that marketing and branding is what dominates Disney nowadays, and they pretty much decided on what they want the films to be like and told the different studios to make their films like that, and every studio is pulled to the same black hole of sameness. They all just make the same movie again and again - Pixar, Disney, Disney Animation, Marvel (I'd include Star Wars but they don't release anything these days). In addition, all of them pretty much let the internet dictate on what not to make in fear of offending anyone.

I just want them to stop doing that and just let the creativity burst out. Just make the best possible movies regardless of if they can be marketed or if the internet will be mad about them (the internet will find excuses constantly). I want them to take more risks and release something daring.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

I would like Disney Animation to adapt true fairy tales or other recognizable stories, which is the studio's hallmark. There are also thousands of types of fairy tales and legends, most people associate fairy tales with princess films, which is a shame (don't take offense because I love Disney princess films) but then the fairy tales are always automatically labeled as "girl films" :roll: .Fairy tales have such a rich variety, it's a shame Disney keeps using the same princess formula lately. I would wish that we got an animal based adaption like the bremer town musicians or FINALLY a male fairy tale protagonist again who could finally shake up the view of fairy tale films and thus automatically attract more people to the cinemas, like an adaption of a faithful Jack and the Beanstalk or "The water of life" etc. (maybe that's why Aladdin was the most successful box office film of the Disney Reanissance alongside The Lion King :) ).

and personally i think pixar's movies are alright and going in the right direction i have nothing to complain about them, and last, disney should STOP doing these remakes, they offer nothing and i think most are fed up with them (but the little mermaids box office numbers say otherwise)
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

From WDAS--they're mostly doing alright with their female-lead films. But for their male-driven films, they should make something with some music, drama, colors other than brown, etc. again, like Aladdin, TLK, Tarzan. I'm glad they're involving more hand-drawn with Wish. I wouldn't mind more adaptations of fairy tales, literature, myth, legend, etc. again. You can make films featuring diversity even with those as your base--there are fairy tales, myths, and so on from areas all around the world you can use. And of course more old-fashioned villains like Maleficent, Ursula, Hades, etc., but they may have already marked a shift with Wish on that point (Chris Pine is the villain).

PIXAR--Leave the formulaic films like Elemental behind. Make more new, adventurous stuff as far as story and design like Turning Red, Luca, Eliot, etc. No more dual protagonists who are opposite and argumentative. Domee Shi is the best new person they have, although I like Docter.

Remakes--Vety faithful like B&tB, Aladdin, and TLK--as far as keeping songs, character designs and outfits, plot, etc. They don't have to copy line for line or shot for shot like TLK, but, then again, I'd take films that err too far in being extremely faithful like TLK over ones that are nothing like the original and cut half the cast, the songs, and so on like Mulan. Nobody's coming for something "new" when they go to a remake, for heaven's sake.

As for Marvel and Star Wars, no comment. I watch most Marvel films and enjoy them in a casual sense. Don't watch SW.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

More hand-drawn animation.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I've actually really wanted Disney to give us more animal casts in the vein of The Jungle Book or The Lion King. I just feel like there's a lot of fun you can have with that tool box, especially with animation. I was hoping they'd chase that train after Zootopia was an explosive success, but thus far they've kind of left us dry.

In general, I want Disney to move past that purely reactive phase where they're just responding to the bad-faith criticisms of their animated library. That's more a problem with their live-action department, but it does seep into their animated output as well (e.g. Moana's "I am NOT a princess" bit.)
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: โ†‘Tue May 30, 2023 2:56 pm From WDAS--they're mostly doing alright with their female-lead films. But for their male-driven films, they should make something with some music, drama, colors other than brown, etc. again, like Aladdin, TLK, Tarzan. I'm glad they're involving more hand-drawn with Wish. I wouldn't mind more adaptations of fairy tales, literature, myth, legend, etc. again. You can make films featuring diversity even with those as your base--there are fairy tales, myths, and so on from areas all around the world you can use. And of course more old-fashioned villains like Maleficent, Ursula, Hades, etc., but they may have already marked a shift with Wish on that point (Chris Pine is the villain).

PIXAR--Leave the formulaic films like Elemental behind. Make more new, adventurous stuff as far as story and design like Turning Red, Luca, Eliot, etc. No more dual protagonists who are opposite and argumentative. Domee Shi is the best new person they have, although I like Docter.

Remakes--Vety faithful like B&tB, Aladdin, and TLK--as far as keeping songs, character designs and outfits, plot, etc. They don't have to copy line for line or shot for shot like TLK, but, then again, I'd take films that err too far in being extremely faithful like TLK over ones that are nothing like the original and cut half the cast, the songs, and so on like Mulan. Nobody's coming for something "new" when they go to a remake, for heaven's sake.

As for Marvel and Star Wars, no comment. I watch most Marvel films and enjoy them in a casual sense. Don't watch SW.
Per your last line about nobodyโ€™s coming for something โ€œnewโ€ when they go to a remake, well then whatโ€™s the point of the remake in the first place? If one doesnโ€™t want something new, then why bother with it? Itโ€™s just like a book adaptation: letโ€™s face it, if the movie has literally everything from the book (like you said it doesnโ€™t have to be shot for shot line for line like the lion King :-) Then There would be no point in going to see it/indulger engaged with it no matter what no matter how otherwise it may seem. Especially when adaptations of literature are more than kind of taking away the whole point of READING a book and actually using your imagination to truly SEE it, EH? :-)
Disney's Divinity

I think the term "live-action remakes" sort of says what most people want out of them? They want the original film simply translated to live-action, seeing those characters with real world dimensions and the joy of finding an actor that looks as much like the character as possible--much like seeing a Broadway musical or a park re-creation. The only draw is the re-creation of those films in our reality, that's all.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: โ†‘Tue May 30, 2023 4:57 pm I think the term "live-action remakes" sort of says what most people want out of them? They want the original film simply translated to live-action, seeing those characters with real world dimensions and the joy of finding an actor that looks as much like the character as possible--much like seeing a Broadway musical or a park re-creation. The only draw is the re-creation of those films in our reality, that's all.
Yes but still, the fact that they can also add on new things to make it itโ€™s own thing is what also truly has it have value.Even the Broadway shows like youโ€™ve mentioned have made more than arguably more noticeable and substantial changes such as with Ursula and the climax eH?
Disney's Divinity

TLM musical flopped for a reason though.

Also, something I forgot from the above with WDAS was to have romance in their films again. Doesn't have to be all the time, but I think they've given us enough solo princess characters for it not to be weird to have a new romance film. Or, you know, they could make a male-driven musical romance. Either / or.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

As far as live action, I want more movies like The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, The BFG, The One and Only Ivan (RIP), etc. I love all of those. I know the first two didn't do great in theaters and they pulled the second from D+, so... And I also love Christopher Robin and Mary Poppins Returns, so instead of remakes, I'd be happy with more continuation stories.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

One thing I want to see is less Lin-Manuel Miranda involvement in future Disney films.
Disney's Divinity

Same, but I don't hate him on his own films like Encanto. I hope they make a sequel to Encanto somehow so Alma might get a song; and perhaps Tala could get one in the Moana remake. I think those are worth it since both characters are more than background characters and because the best song I've heard by him is "Paciencia y Fe" in In the Heights. Maybe he can pull off songs for older, female characters better than others? Either way, it's a crime Alma's VA didn't get much to sing in Encanto considering how talented she is. :P

I do prefer the Lopezes by a country mile though. And Menken, too--perhaps Lee wouldn't be against bringing him back for a WDAS film once in a while like Lasseter was, who knows. But Wish *would've* been the perfect one to do that with since it's heavily inspired for the 100th anniversary, so maybe not.