Barbie (2023)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Barbie: The Movie?!

Post by UmbrellaFish »

A second teaser is out!! - https://youtu.be/GZuubCclyS0

My big wish with this movie is they will include Barbie Girl as the end credits song (I know Greta Gerwig say they wouldn’t buuuuut…) and it’s recorded by Trixie Mattel.
MaQu

Post by MaQu »

It looks amazing, exactly what I hoped the live-action Barbie movie to be. They did a great job with the casting.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

MaQu wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:57 am It looks amazing, exactly what I hoped the live-action Barbie movie to be. They did a great job with the casting.
I agree! I was iffy about Ryan Gosling but I like what I’ve seen so far. I love Kate McKinnon as (I think) a Barbie that’s had a haircut and been scribbled on, too!
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Full trailer!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pBk4NYhWNMM

It looks so good!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:54 am Full trailer!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pBk4NYhWNMM

It looks so good!
I love the part where Margot Robbie floats down, just like a child moving their Barbie in her Dream House.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

My favorite part of the trailer was Barbie's feet going flat for the first time. :lol: The story makes me think a little of Stepford Wives or Pleasantville.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

I read that Amy Schumer was initially involved with this? Was she supposed to be the lead or was she playing Kate McKinnon's character? I think a film with Schumer as the lead would've been so much funnier than whoever they got. I loved Snatched and liked I Feel Pretty. I do like the cast (much bigger fan of Ferrera and McKinnon than the rest though), so I'm sure I'll see the movie somewhere down the line, but I would've been more inspired to get around to it if Schumer was in the title role.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't want to say anything untrue, but I am 90% sure Amy was going to be the lead at some point. However, she would not have been a good choice because she doesn't look like Barbie, unlike Margot Robby, who looks exactly like her.
Disney's Divinity

Oh, that's what I assumed (that she would have been the lead). A shame, Schumer would've been much funnier alongside Gosling and McKinnon, imo. I don't think Margot Robbie looks like Barbie, any more than any blonde actress looks like Barbie, but I don't think exact accuracy was what they were going for in a spoof anyway.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok, well I respectfully disagree about the looks of the people compared to the dolls, but I do agree Schumer would have been funnier.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Re: Barbie (2023)

Post by bruno_wbt »

Have you seen it yet?

I loved it! The cast, the sets, the soundtrack, the story, the message, everything was perfect.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I finally saw the movie yesterday and I must say that I really enjoyed it! :) Sure, it was nothing but pure, relentless fluff, but I`m not the kind of person who`s turned off by such fluffy entertainment (also because I was someone who loved Barbie growing up, because of my affection for girly things, despite that I`m a male). Margot Robbie was perfectly cast as Barbie, as she looked the part. Ryan Gosling was perfectly goofy and ditzy as Ken and was probably the most fun character.
What I truly liked the most, however, is that despite how thinly the plot was, the story was still a scrutiny about the negative stereotypes that Barbie has been criticized for. And was added with some scrutiny about the feminist aspect of it and the differences between the Barbie world and real world. It gave the story gravity and depth. But I was mostly surprised that Barbie was so greatly well received critically, as I was sure that it would receive purely flack. Because let`s face it, it could`ve been truly silly in an off-putting way. But overall, a fun film that I definitively wouldn`t mind seeing again! :)
Disney's Divinity

My sister's seen it and recommended it to me. I'm more curious now. I watched a "Just Ken" video online, it looked cute.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Saw this tweet from Kevin Lima and it's something that I thought about immediately after seeing this film and was surprised that it wasn't mentioned by anyone:
https://twitter.com/GoofyMovieDir/statu ... WN5kw&s=19

I thought this concept was executed better
in Enchanted, more nuanced, but Barbie was okay too.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I have had to cancel plans to see Barbie two weeks in a row, and it’s driving me mad. Hopefully next weekend I will finally see it. It’s great to see something so feminine and pink make monsters amounts of money. I’m also glad Margot Robbie finally got a win.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I haven't seen it yet either... been busy/napping and have so many films I want to see (Barbie, The Haunted Mansion, Ruby Gillman, Elemental for a 2nd time). But I agree, I like that a feminine movie is getting such high praise.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Finally got to see Barbie today!! Loved it!! I think it’s a movie a lot of Disney fans would “get,” too.

I can’t wait to buy this in (I hope) a very pink case!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I saw the movie last week. I thought it was really good. I thought it was deep and smart while also being fun and funny.
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

Barbie is a Glitter Bomb of FEELS. It's like the Scott Pilgrim of feminism, which a reminder to all political himbos out there, means equality, not matriarchy. Movies like this are exceptional rarities than the norm, so please give it a shot if you haven't already.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Barbie was good, not a masterpiece but I enjoyed it. I loved how colorful Barbie Land is and how Greta Gerwig was truly comitted to making it look like a huge plastic playset for the actors. Both Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling were truly perfect for the main roles, and the side characters were also good as well. I especially liked Weird Barbie and the discontined dolls hanging out together in her Weird House. I also liked the speech that America Ferrera’s character made about a woman’s perspective of life and I got a bit teary-eyed when it ended. Ruth Handler’s ghost being in the movie was a big surprise to me. The only thing I didn’t like was the Mattel CEO, and that’s about it. But what I really love is the soundtrack! It’s so catchy to listen to and great for repeat listening for some songs. I still have Barbie World and Speed Drive stuck in my head! It’s a very pretty and good movie to me, and I know it will be more relatable to women who watch this movie.
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea by Joe Hisashi (Song)
2. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. Shin Megami Tensei V (Video Game)
5. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)