What's New at Walt Disney World?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: What's New at Walt Disney World?

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The Lake Nona campus in Florida has been officially cancelled

https://wdwnt.com/2023/05/disney-imagin ... -canceled/

A few years ago Disney announced a controversial decision to move Imagineering which is based in California to a new campus in Florida.

As a Florida visitor, my hope was that the relocation would encourage Imagineers to give the Florida parks the special attention the California park often receives. But I understand it has been a very controversial decision among parks fans and Disney Imagineering cast members and the governor’s politics have furthered complicated the decision to move. I am glad Imagineers that wanted to stay in California don’t have to move!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser is closing permanently in September

https://wdwnt.com/2023/05/breaking-star ... september/

There have been rumors this might happen but it’s still surprising to see. Why did Disney sink so much money into a venture that didn’t work? Too pricey for guests… how I wish I could experience it before it closes, though! I’m sure this will become one of those great “I was there” stories people will share.

I wonder if Disney will try to reuse the space? Because of the starcruiser theme it was a very oddly constructed hotel so it might not be easy to repurpose it.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Has it been too expensive to run, with paychecks and electricity and stuff? Probably I guess if they're just closing it. I would have liked to have experienced it, but ya know, I'm not rich. I'm so sad for the cast members being let go. I hope most can just be moved elsewhere. They could just make it a normal Star Wars hotel, not with the extra stuff it had...?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It has been very low occupancy. People just can’t afford it, it was too high concept, the audience too niche. But I am surprised Disney’s just throwing in the towel… like maybe try and find ways to make it cheaper haha? I hope most of the cast members can be relocated— I think Galactic Starcruiser was staffed with the crème de la crème of cast members so I bet many of them will be sent back to their old locations.

I wonder if this might have worked if it had not been in Orlando? The Galactic Starcruiser was supposed to be totally immersive, guests were encouraged to only explore Galaxy’s Edge during excursions to Hollywood Studios. But how can you go on a WDW vacation and spend most of your time in the hotel? Even an immersive, very expensive hotel. Maybe if it was in the middle of nowhere or near Skywalker Ranch or something the concept might have worked better.
blackcauldron85

:pink:
BREAKING: Hatbox Ghost Location Announced for Haunted Mansion in Magic Kingdom
https://wdwnt.com/?p=964198
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’m so excited, but I saw another WDWNT article that explains the placement of the Hatbox Ghost in Orlando might break the story of the Haunted Mansion. Apparently, he’s going to appear before Madame Leota, who summons the spirits. Previously, you did not see any spirits until Madame Leota summoned them… but now we will see the Hatbox Ghost before she does that…
blackcauldron85

Oh...I just looked up the article
(Does the Hatbox Ghost’s Magic Kingdom Location Ruin the Haunted Mansion Story?
https://wdwnt.com/?p=964235). That is true, that's a strange place to put him, before Madame Leota...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

WDWNT reports on some new additions to this year’s Boo to You Parade for Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party including appearances from Minnie, Daisy, and Clarabelle as the Sanderson Sisters and Ursula joining the parade route!

https://wdwnt.com/2023/08/2023-boo-to-y ... parade-mk/

Boo to You is my favorite WDW parade and these additions make it even better! I think I want to plan my next trip around October (in a year or two…) so I can go to a party.
blackcauldron85

I love Boo To You as well (it's probably my favorite existing parade, although I think Jammin' Jungle is my most favorite ever). I think the Sanderson Sisters outfits are adorable. I love the Headless Horseman and grave diggers- so classic. I miss WDW so much (haven't been since prepandemic. I'd love to go back but $ is so tight).
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I remember seeing the Grave Diggers for the first time and how cool that was! The Haunted Mansion section is definitely my favorite. I am so happy they’ve added Ursula, but I was reading up and they did remove a few things— they swapped the cowboy/cowgirls dancers for scarecrows and I think scarecrows make a lot more sense. They also took out the whole Tomorrowland section, with Buzz and the Incredibles and to be honest, I never thought they really fit the Halloween theme, either. If they want Pixar representation, they should add a Coco float. And bring in the incredible Ernesto de la Cruz from DCA: https://youtu.be/pH0hztDuSTk

I just watched the Jammin’ Jungle parade on YouTube and it was so cute! I loved all those huge puppets. And Mickey’s snazzy safari outfit! I did not know DAK ever had a parade. I wonder why they haven’t brought one back? No parade, no nighttime show (at least not a good one… I understand they can’t do fireworks and I don’t want them to, but surely they can think of something impressive that wouldn’t disturb the animals. Maybe a drone show?). DAK was my favorite park when I worked at WDW, but I can see why other people find it disappointing.

Speaking of parades, I can go the rest of my life without seeing Festival of Fantasy ever again. Working parade audience control for that show made me a bundle of nerves. I would love to see Disneyland’s Magic Happens in person— I love that soundtrack and all the floats/characters.
blackcauldron85

Ooh, that Ernesto De La Cruz is awesome! Magic Happens does have a good soundtrack! I don't like the male Frozen dancers' outfits, though- they remind me of mummies lol.
blackcauldron85

Walt Disney World Shares Video Inside Journey of Water Inspired by ‘Moana’ Showing Off Dancing Water Effects
https://wdwnt.com/?p=981049
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Some new photos of Shanghai Disneyland’s upcoming Zootopia Land:
https://wdwnt.com/2023/09/breaking-new- ... -and-more/

One minute I’m 100% Dinoland ride or die, then I see these pics and I’m operating the wrecking ball. Lol. Too cute, can’t believe they haven’t brought the paw-sicles to the parks ages ago!
blackcauldron85

Clawhauser! I love it. I'm happy with the rethemings they've been doing, Zootopia, BH6...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Just finished the Destination D23 presentation. Notes and thoughts below:

The Muses performed during the Welcome pre-show and how awesome would it be if the Muses were regular entertainment in MK?

There was so much Muppet representation. I thought for sure the big announcement at the end was going to be they were retheming Rockin Rollercoaster to the Muppets. But no announcement.

Asha is coming to Epcot, Disneyland, Disneyland Paris.

Hatbox Ghost. They tried to explain why he’s seen before Madame Leota “he’s not waiting for sympathetic vibrations because he’s not a happy haunt.” This is so funny to me that they addressed this! I don’t know if I buy it but we’ll see…

Is the Avengers ride vehicle like the Universal Back to the Future/Simpsons vehicle?

Country Bears update. Country Bear Musical Jamboree. Disney songs in country style. CBJ is one of my favorite attractions at WDW. I think of it as like a palate cleanser. Like if you get Disney-ed out, you can go on HM or CBJ or CoP and it’s a different vibe. But OTOH, if adding IP extends the life of this attraction, I’m okay with it.

Barker Bird coming to new pirates themed quick service? No details yet. I’m assuming this is for Tortuga Tavern?

World Celebration at Epcot opening in December

Journey of Water opens 10/16

Moana is meeting in Epcot now next to JoW. Isn’t she currently meeting in DAK? I don’t think any of the princesses meet in two places, so hopefully Pocahontas can return to DAK in Moana is moving to Epcot.

Only 100 of the guests get a $100 dining gift card?

Luminous: The Symphony of Us begins 12/5. I think this is supposed to reuse some of the music from Illuminations. The name is definitely a nod to the older fireworks show. I loved Illuminations, so this makes me happy. I enjoyed Harmonious too, though.

Test Track refurb announced. It’s needed!

The new island looks really cool. “Lookout Cay at Lighthouse Point”

Happy for fan who won the free cruise. She was dressed up like Figment, too. Haha

Fantasy Springs at Tokyo DisneySea just seems so magical. I love that all the new attractions are classic dark rides. It seems like in the US parks they are more focused on thrill rides, but I love simple dark rides that take me into the world of Disney movies.

They wouldn’t talk about details about Magic Kingdom blue sky but said big things were coming. :/ Based on a later announcement, you can be sure Encanto is off the table for MK. Maybe still Coco, maybe still Villains Land. But they really didn’t say anything of substance.

It’s Tough to be a Bug is being replaced with a new Zootopia show. It appears, from the concept art, you’ll be shrunk down to the size of a small rodent and Judy and Nick will tower over you. I don’t mind this change, and I bet they got lots of complaints over the years from the scary segments of the attraction.

Dinoland is becoming South America/Central America. “Tropical Americas.” Encanto. Indiana Jones probably replacing Dinosaur. I will mourn Dinoland, but I’m sure this will be a beautiful expansion of DAK. I’m sure Mirabel will end up meeting here, which will leave a vacancy at the garden in MK.

New Figment meet and greet debuted at the end. I think the costume looks really good. Can’t wait to meet him!

Honestly, really nothing major announcement. Probably the biggest thing was confirmation Dinoland is being replaced with “Tropical America” section.
blackcauldron85

I missed a good chunk of the presentation because my dog had a vet appointment, so thank you for recapping! I've been refreshing WDWNT & Laughing Place.

The POTC tavern sounds awesome, I love ITtBaB, but I'm excited for the Zootopia show. Ahsoka coming to Star Tours is awesome. Disneyland's Indy ride essentially is the Dinosaur ride so... I think Animal Kingdom is a little weird for Indy for sure...Encanto can fit in AK more than Indy... I love Country Bears and the new show should be fun.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

https://wdwnt.com/2023/09/encanto-cupca ... l-kingdom/

I thought this was a funny… for a limited time you can get an Encanto cupcake in Dinoland.
blackcauldron85

I mean, Antonio *does* speak with animals! That's a pretty cupcake!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Nothing officially confirmed, but rumor has it the presence of a live bear inside Magic Kingdom has forced the closure of Frontierland and Adventureland this morning: https://wdwnt.com/2023/09/update-bear-i ... -the-park/

Disney has confirmed the presence of a live bear at Magic Kingdom today: https://wdwnt.com/2023/09/confirmed-bla ... -the-park/
blackcauldron85

The bear was released to the forest!

https://wesh.com/article/magic-kingdom- ... e/45209426