Lilo & Stitch (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Re: Lilo & Stitch (Live-Action)

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

The news are some months old, but it sounds like it is still in the making:
The movie will be produced by Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich, who worked on Aladdin and are also attached to the new Inspector Gadget reboot. Mike Van Waes is screenwriter on the project.

The movie will also film in Hawaii. Shooting was meant to start last year but, with COVID, there's been no news of rescheduling yet.
https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/disne ... ease-date/

I'm not saying it can't be a hit, but for me this is the kind of movies that works best as animation. Especially if you are already familiar with the movies and TV-show.

Making Lilo a little older is probably for the best. I imagine it would be a little difficult for a small girl to act like the animated Lilo. It wouldn't feel convincing.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Alan Silvestri wants to come back to score the remake too.
Q: On the subject of live-action remakes, they are working on “Lilo & Stitch.” Alan, are you involved? Are you coming back? What’s the story there?

Alan Silvestri: I’ve not heard anything other than that it’s being done. That doesn’t mean I’m not coming back because that conversation could be much further down some line. But I have no news fit to print at this time.

Q: Is that something you’d like to revisit?

Alan Silvestri: Oh, sure. Absolutely. It was amazing to be involved in it, and one of the things that’s been most fun over the years is I have three young granddaughters now. I’ve seen that movie over time continue to delight young viewers. And those kinds of films are always tremendous to work on. When a six-year-old’s favorite film is something you did that far back, it’s just amazing to be part of things like that.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/pinocchio-2022- ... nd-stitch/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Following the critical success of his movie Marcel the Shell With Shoes On, Dean Fleischer Camp has found his next project as he has been tapped to direct the live-action adaptation of the classic animated pic Lilo & Stitch for Disney. Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich of Rideback are producing. Rideback’s Ryan Halprin is executive producing. Unknown at this time whether the film will be theatrical or on Disney Plus. Chris Kekaniokalani Bright is in negotiations to write the script. Mike Van Waes wrote a previous draft.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/07/lilo-stitc ... 235064201/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Heard Disney’s live-action Lilo & Stitch remake begins filming in February in Hawaii, they are currently casting. Can confirm previously reporting by The DisInsider that it’ll be a Disney+ exclusive.
Source: https://twitter.com/JacobFisherDF/statu ... 5012614144
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Can confirm previously reporting by The DisInsider that it’ll be a Disney+ exclusive.
:facepalm:

Why? Lilo & Stitch was a huge Theatrical hit and could`ve easily been released Theatrically in the first place.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

They are possibly gender- and race-bending Cobra Bubbles. I guess a Black man in Hawaii is not considered progressive or authentic enough for modern Disney. :roll: :roll:
The film is currently busy casting for the roles of Lilo, Nani, and David Kawena from the original animated film. Yet, they are also actively casting two new roles for the film which are a character known as Tutu and Mrs. Kekoa. The former is described as someone who speaks with a local Pidgin accent and is the neighbor of the Pelekai sisters, Lilo and Nani.

The surprising new addition is Mrs. Kekoa, as she seemingly will take on the role of Cobra Bubbles. It’s unclear if that character will still be featured in the film, but it seems that this new character is being cast as the social worker, who pays Nani a few visits to see if their living conditions are right for her to continue looking after Lilo. Her inclusion does raise the question if Bubbles will be featured in the film at all, but it is possible they may be taking a different route.

There have been a few rumblings hinting at Disney hoping to start production on it soon. DisInsider shared back in August that the film might be set as a Disney+ exclusive. This was highlighted by Discussing Film’s Jacob Fischer, who also hinted at a production start in February, which we can also confirm. They will be filming until the end of May 2023 in Hawaii, which will definitely make the project stand out and sticks to the aspects that made the original shine.
Source: https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/exclu ... character/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

They will be filming until the end of May 2023 in Hawaii, which will definitely make the project stand out and sticks to the aspects that made the original shine.
Sure, sure... :roll:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:20 pm They are possibly gender- and race-bending Cobra Bubbles. I guess a Black man in Hawaii is not considered progressive or authentic enough for modern Disney. :roll: :roll:
:facepalm:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It's so interesting to me how Disney thinks almost every Black or Black-voiced original character is expendable when making these remakes. Mushu, almost the Muses (TBD), now Cobra Bubbles. Just speaking as one fan, almost every one of those is as important to making those films what they are as the rest of the cast.....
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:20 pm They are possibly gender- and race-bending Cobra Bubbles. I guess a Black man in Hawaii is not considered progressive or authentic enough for modern Disney. :roll: :roll:
The film is currently busy casting for the roles of Lilo, Nani, and David Kawena from the original animated film. Yet, they are also actively casting two new roles for the film which are a character known as Tutu and Mrs. Kekoa. The former is described as someone who speaks with a local Pidgin accent and is the neighbor of the Pelekai sisters, Lilo and Nani.

The surprising new addition is Mrs. Kekoa, as she seemingly will take on the role of Cobra Bubbles. It’s unclear if that character will still be featured in the film, but it seems that this new character is being cast as the social worker, who pays Nani a few visits to see if their living conditions are right for her to continue looking after Lilo. Her inclusion does raise the question if Bubbles will be featured in the film at all, but it is possible they may be taking a different route.

There have been a few rumblings hinting at Disney hoping to start production on it soon. DisInsider shared back in August that the film might be set as a Disney+ exclusive. This was highlighted by Discussing Film’s Jacob Fischer, who also hinted at a production start in February, which we can also confirm. They will be filming until the end of May 2023 in Hawaii, which will definitely make the project stand out and sticks to the aspects that made the original shine.
Source: https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/exclu ... character/
Here's the casting call that info seems to have been taken from, which gives some more details:
OPEN CALL CASTING

LILO & STITCH
Live Action Adaptation

A Feature-Length High-Budget Subscription Video on Demand Program to be distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures intended for initial release on @DisneyPlus.

The Walt @DisneyStudios is looking for people to play the following character – Open to all levels of acting experience:

LILO
6 - 8 years old, precocious Native Hawaiian girl who loves hula, surfing, and wildlife, with a special affinity for all things “gross”.

TŪTŪ
70s, Native Hawaiian, she is a warm, quick-witted woman who speaks with a local Pidgin accent. Lilo and Nani's neighbor for years, kind and hospitable, and understanding of Lilo and Nani's struggles.

MRS. KEKOA
55, AANHPI, she is a social worker, a practical, by-the-book kind and patient woman who checks in regularly with Nani, whom she can tell is struggling to keep her head above water while taking care of Lilo.

We encourage submissions of diverse actors, including actors who are of Native Hawaiian/Polynesian/Māori descent.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/ClSQgzdJheZ/ (via mmdisney200)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

While casting is ongoing, we have heard that the role of Nani has already been cast. We are hearing Moana star Auli’i Cravalho is Disney’s choice for the role. While we can not confirmed that she has signed, we hear the studio has the role in mind for her, and has already met with director Dean Fleischer Camp. If what we are hearing is true, it would be no surprise, as Cravalho is a Disney favorite. She played the aforementioned Moana in the 2016 Disney Animation Studios film and reprised her role in 2018’s Ralph Breaks The Internet. She will next star in Darby and the Dead, debuting on the Disney-owned Hulu on December 2, 2022.
https://thedisinsider.com/2022/11/23/ru ... lo-stitch/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I have a feeling that TŪTŪ is going to replace David cause god forbid Nani has a boyfriend.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:58 amI have a feeling that TŪTŪ is going to replace David cause god forbid Nani has a boyfriend.
You're probably right given there's no casting notice for David Kawena. It seems they're eliminating the male characters from the film to make it more feminist. :roll:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

David, no David, feminist, anti-feminist…

I’m just wondering who asked for a Lilo & Stitch remake?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

How stupid to cut Cobra and David Kawena. I think those characters could co-exist with a female social worker and female friend for Nani to talk to about her issues. After all, Cobra could be spying around because of UFO-related reasons rather than social work reasons, the animated film just ties those two missions together to make the film tighter with less characters.

I have a feeling they wanted there to be a female social worker because Cobra Bubbles is rather cruel to Nani as far as treating her like she's abusive and threatening to take Lilo away from her. Perhaps Disney is thinking of immigration stories of children being taken away from their parents and how the depiction of this could make some think of that tangentially somehow??? Who knows. Anyway, I feel like they could have the new characters alongside the new characters. Nani could be dating David as well as having a friend; Cobra could be fishing around about UFO sightings related to Stitch while the new character is the social worker. I hope whoever's making this will comprehend that it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. I mean, thankfully Lilo & Stitch is not one of my big favs, but the remakes are always better when they're more faithful, just sayin'.

Cravalho feels like a bad fit for Nani. I know Disney likes to pick actors from "inside the house" so to speak, but Nani was always my favorite thing about L&S, she has more of a presence than I think Cravalho could manage... I mean, Nani is not princess-y at all. Nani always made me think of Sandra Bullock for some reason. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Our member disneyprincess11 sent me the breakdown that was on Actors Access and David is included.

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

He's playing Pleakley.

Zach Galifianakis Cast in Disney’s Live-Action ‘Lilo & Stitch’
https://www.thewrap.com/lilo-and-stitch ... -pleakley/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm guessing Pleakley will be a terrible CGI character and Zach Galifianakis will only do voice work.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Newcomer Maia Kealoha Cast as Lilo in Disney’s ‘Lilo & Stitch’ Live-Action Movie
https://knightedgemedia.com/2023/03/mai ... lo-stitch/

New Casting Call Teases The Return Of Classic Character In Disney’s Live-Action ‘Lilo & Stitch’
https://thedisinsider.com/2023/03/30/ne ... lo-stitch/
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I’ve said it before on a Discord server I run and I’ll say it again. At least Maia looks the part of Lilo.