Ever After (1998)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Ever After (1998)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The Drew Barrymore Show had a mini-reunion with the actors who played the stepsisters and prince on her show for an hour (split into half-hour shows) this week. I think it was Tuesday, but I only got around to watching it yesterday.

This was always my favorite "Cinderella" film. The animated Walt Disney film is great, too, although it's hampered by too much time of the mice (much like SB with the Fairies and SW with the Dwarfs); I also enjoy the Whitney Houston version of R&H's Cinderella (despite a few flaws) and The Glass Slipper. Not that Ever After doesn't have a few flaws of its own, too, but I liked Cinderella having a little more bite and personality, and the prince having a personality. It's only a shame Judy Parfitt and most of all Anjelica Huston couldn't have been a part of the reunion, too. Parfitt added a great deal of dimension to the prince side of things, and Huston is the best part of the film altogether. Maybe someday!

They also talked about a possible sequel. I mean, I'd watch, although it's not something I'd ever thought about before. I liked Barrymore's first thought of showing life after ever after and flipping the story further by showing them middle-aged. I wouldn't want a film that focused on a bunch of new actors as the other actress suggested though, I hate those kinds of sequels.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Re: Ever After (1998)

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for posting about this, Divinity! I wish I had seen it! Sounds so nice. Too bad Parfitt and Huston weren't there, like you said.

A sequel? What on Earth would it be about? I would prefer a continuation with them middle-aged, too. Maybe they would deal with some historic stuff that really happened to France? Maybe learn how to rule the kingdom better? But it should be more about them, and their personal stuff, their love story.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Drew Barrymore reunites with Ever After costars Melanie Lynskey and Megan Dodds
https://ew.com/movies/drew-barrymore-ev ... gan-dodds/

Reunited Ever After stars reveal they crashed a car and took topless photos in a cornfield
https://ew.com/movies/ever-after-reunio ... cornfield/

How Drew Barrymore's famous last name helped her recruit Anjelica Huston for Ever After
https://ew.com/movies/drew-barrymore-an ... hone-call/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Lynskey's impression was amazing! And thank God Barrymore had the idea to call Huston!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

So this movie is where I had seen Melanie Lynskey before!! When watching The Last of Us, I didn't know why she looked so familiar! I haven't seen this film since I was a teenager - I should track it down and rewatch it!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, Amy, do!