Bob Iger is Back!!!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Bob Iger is Back!!!

Post by Sotiris »

Adam Silver, Commissioner of the National Basketball Association, is a top candidate to replace Iger as chief executive officer, when he is set to retire in two years, according to two people with direct knowledge of the matter. Other top candidates on the list include Dana Walden, Disney’s entertainment co-chair and Kevin Mayer, a former Disney executive, CEO of short-video app TikTok and now, founder and CEO of Candle Media.

People inside Disney tell Fox Business that other possible internal contenders include Alan Bergman, the other co-chair of entertainment, Josh D'Amaro, chairman of parks and resorts, and Jimmy Pitaro, president of ESPN. But at least for now, Silver, Mayer and Walden appear to have the strongest hands in the Iger replacement race. Mayer, for his part, was Disney’s former chairman of its direct-to-consumer business. He is a long-time media executive who was responsible for launching Disney +, ESPN+ and Hulu + during his tenure at the company. He now owns and runs Candle Media, a media company that Disney is rumored to be interested in buying. Walden, meanwhile, has vast experience in media and entertainment including 25 years at 21st Century Fox. She was CEO of Fox Television Group, which was once affiliated with Fox Business before its sale to Disney in 2019.
Source: https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/nbas- ... e-bob-iger
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I actually read about this speculation the other day. I think I clicked on some article underneath one of the other articles that had been posted here, I was curious simply because I've always felt like Iger's not really gonna go.... I've heard the name Dana Walden over the years from having read Disney news, but otherwise I don't really know much about any of them to have an opinion. What about you, Sotiris, you're someone who's always informed who likely knows way more about these people than I would, what are your thoughts?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:26 pm I actually read about this speculation the other day. I think I clicked on some article underneath one of the other articles that had been posted here, I was curious simply because I've always felt like Iger's not really gonna go.... I've heard the name Dana Walden over the years from having read Disney news, but otherwise I don't really know much about any of them to have an opinion. What about you, Sotiris, you're someone who's always informed who likely knows way more about these people than I would, what are your thoughts?
I still think he’ll pick Dana Walden.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Is the NBA Commissioner really more qualified than a creative? I know nothing about them but seems weird to me.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:26 pmWhat about you, Sotiris, you're someone who's always informed who likely knows way more about these people than I would, what are your thoughts?
I think none of the candidates in the running have the collective set of skills needed for the CEO position. The internal candidates are good at what they do, but their experience and skill set is fragmented and limited. Usually, an internal candidate is favored over an outsider, but as that didn't work last time with Chapek, I think Iger and the board will opt for somoeone outside the company this time around. Given how Wall Street is making Disney focus on profitability over everything else, someone like Silver who has a strong resume as an executive but no creative background may be preferred over someone from the creative world.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Watch it be David Zaslav. :P
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Avaitor wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:55 am Watch it be David Zaslav. :P
Dear god I hope not.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Bob Iger: Disney Will Reduce Costs On Films, TV Shows to Focus On Quality, Not Volume
"It comes in the form of reducing the expense per content, whether it's a TV series or a film, where costs have just skyrocketed," the Disney chief told an investor conference.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 40c6f56c40
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Smart. They lost control of themselves in pursuit of streaming dominance, they saw moremoremoremore as the only method to win there.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:47 pm Smart. They lost control of themselves in pursuit of streaming dominance, they saw moremoremoremore as the only method to win there.
That's kind of the trouble with most players in the streaming wars. Everyone thinks the way to win the game is just to have the biggest catalogue, particularly with exclusive content. The result is this bloating mess where studios just greenlight anything and everything without putting any thought into actually taking care of their library. I'm not even sure what the last Marvel series I watched even was, which is crazy because I don't really consider myself like an anti-Marvel person or anything. I just don't have the commitment to be constantly absorbing new content. Hopefully they start being more judicious in what and how much they produce.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

That’s why I have no desire to subscribe to Disney+. I’m only interested in the Disney catalog and so far I have everything on DVD. None of the new woke agenda crap holds any interest to me. I’m definitely not a Star Wars or Marvel person. So Disney+ is not for me. I’d rather have a paid Disney Classics channel with unedited shorts, unedited features (Make Mine Music, Fantasia, etc.,) Disney TV programs with Walt intros and original ads and yes.... Song of the South.
+
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Bob Iger Says Disney Theme Parks Were Priced Too High In “Zeal To Grow Profit” – It’s “A Brand That Needs To Be Accessible”
https://deadline.com/2023/03/bob-iger-s ... 235283912/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Layoff Rounds Likely Starting Before Annual Meeting; Details On Cuts Emerge
https://deadline.com/2023/03/disney-lay ... 235303513/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

With CEO Bob Iger committed to reducing the Walt Disney Company’s massive debt by laying off as many as 7,000 of its “cast members” as early as next week, the temperature inside the company is veering between nervous energy and strange relief as the threat of joblessness looms.

“I’d be happy to be laid off” or a variation thereof is something TheWrap heard from multiple Disney employees, most of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity.

That’s prompted by a combination of general anxiety, a stagnant creative environment and the shared sensation that during the pandemic, and particularly under the short-lived leadership of Bob Chapek, that the company has become a much less magical place to be. The abrupt departure of Marvel executive Victoria Alonso in the past week, with little internal explanation offered, only added to the unease.

All of this discombobulation has left Disney staffers with mixed feelings about the coming layoffs, which will extend beyond the rank and file to include potential executive exits.

Some feel indifferent about Disney’s future, given that the company has cooled on Disney+, once thought to be the most exciting and promising unit of the company. It has put forward a less-than-inspiring calendar of movie titles, mostly stuffed with live-action remakes of animated features like this summer’s “The Little Mermaid,” along with Marvel movies, which have been on shakier ground of late, and animated projects from Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar.

Adding to the consternation, an individual with knowledge told TheWrap, Disney isn’t renewing the contracts of many project hires, known as “green badges” due to the color of their company ID (full-time employees have blue badges). Many of these contracts are expiring now or very soon, leaving teams that relied on the contractors to do much of the heavy lifting high and dry. And everyone we talked to is unhappy with the four-days-a-week return-to-office edict that Iger recently implemented. “Nobody is in a good mood,” one staffer said.

This has led many to try and figure out their exit plan. Back-of-the-envelope math is being done all over the company, with most (especially if they’re in a higher position), welcoming the time and freedom that would come with a potential voluntary resignation if they were offered. Historically, Disney has offered generous severance, particularly to executives: A 2009 plan in the middle of that year’s recession (and another Disney layoff period) offered a minimum of 26 weeks to anyone at the vice president level and CNN reported at the time other employees would get about 60 days.

The Walt Disney Company has changed dramatically since 2020, employees said. This kind of transformation hadn’t been felt since 1984, when the company went from being a family-run business to a media powerhouse with the appointment of Michael Eisner and Frank Wells in the top positions.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/disney-layoffs- ... -reaction/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Layoffs Hit TV Production, Acquisitions Departments
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235361483/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney EMEA Staff Bracing For Layoffs & Content Cuts
https://deadline.com/2023/04/disney-eme ... 235316166/
Woodrow Pride
Limited Issue

Post by Woodrow Pride »

Bob Iger on Ron DeSantis, Creativity, and the Future of Disney
https://time.com/6269006/bob-iger-interview-time100/

It seems a little sketchy, especially when he says he’s very, very surprised to be back at Disney. :eyebrow:

RIP Steve Jobs.
"You're my favorite deputy!"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Bracing For The Bloodbath: Disney Layoffs To Resume Monday
https://deadline.com/2023/04/disney-lay ... 235329916/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney to Reach 4,000 Layoffs This Week With Second Round of Cuts, Third Wave to Hit Ahead of Summer
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/disney ... 235592018/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Stock Falls on Uncertainty Over Streaming Profitability, Ad Weakness
https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/d ... 235609713/