The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

carolinakid wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:58 am Divinity, thanks as always for sharing your thoughts. I’m glad you’re as sick of hearing about this film as I am!
I wouldn't say sick of hearing about it so much as looking forward to the forced drama Disney fostered around it being done and over with, after so long. I do think there's still a chance the film might make in the 500 million territory, but that was considered a "flop" for most here when it happened to Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, and in comparison that was a sequel that was always going to make less than the first whereas this is the first film, so...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Gotcha!👍
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

What did Halle say about her hair flip in the trailer reaction? I couldn't hear.

I think this film will make a billion but we shall see!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

‘The Little Mermaid’ Trailer Earns Most Disney Live-Action Views Since ‘The Lion King’
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235355616/
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Disney Duster wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 pm What did Halle say about her hair flip in the trailer reaction? I couldn't hear.
Something like "I almost broke my head doing that. My hair was so heavy."
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Farerb wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:16 am ‘The Little Mermaid’ Trailer Earns Most Disney Live-Action Views Since ‘The Lion King’
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235355616/
What was that again with those downvotes?! And this movie being a disaster at the box office?! :lol: B*tch please! ... :roll:
Lele
Limited Issue

Post by Lele »

It's kind of funny how the same journalists who were screaming genocide over ScarJo playing a modern robot , how the same side of twitter who celebrated ScarJo reading a tweet insulting her and white people and getting offended, so they doubled down on the nastiness and didn't leave her alone for years over that, are now saying it's just a mermaid.

Not to mention the way same people were screaming murder over some background actors in Aladdin, only used for the crowd effect, being white. Actors that wouldn't even be visible in the movie, let alone playing the main character.

Oh well.
Disney's Divinity

Views aren't ticket sales, unfortunately. Especially if most viewers leave with a negative impression. All the Fab Four have had high views like this, I believe, but only this film of the four has been this reviled early on. No surprise considering those 3 were faithful remakes. I think there were complaints about Genie's CGI with the Aladdin trailer, but even that trailer wasn't within spitting distance of the negative reaction around this film. This film feels much more similar to Mulan's release situation than those three, and Mulan wad a very surprising flop.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:58 am Views aren't ticket sales, unfortunately. Especially if most viewers leave with a negative impression. All the Fab Four have had high views like this, I believe, but only this film of the four has been this reviled early on. No surprise considering those 3 were faithful remakes. I think there were complaints about Genie's CGI with the Aladdin trailer, but even that trailer wasn't within spitting distance of the negative reaction around this film. This film feels much more similar to Mulan's release situation than those three, and Mulan wad a very surprising flop.
It flopped because of the pandemic, though.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Sorry if it has already been posted:

All of POYW by Halle Bailey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGqCykvly80
Disney's Divinity

I believe the full audio leaked months ago. The second half is good.
It flopped because of the pandemic, though.
It was going to do poor because of the pandemic anyway, true, but it did much worse than even Disney expected from what I remember. Encanto was also impacted by the pandemic, but was still considered successful when being graded on the pandemic curve in comparison.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Latest from Ryan Kinel of YouTube:
211k 👍
1.1m 👎

Headline: Disney DESPERATE to save The Little Mermaid!
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

carolinakid wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:52 pm Latest from Ryan Kinel of YouTube:
211k 👍
1.1m 👎

We'll see about that.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

carolinakid wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:52 pm Latest from Ryan Kinel of YouTube:
211k 👍
1.1m 👎

That whiny, insignificant annoying little biggot?! his entire business model is complaining about everything and the kitchen sink. Everything has an audience, but when we start taking walking dung heaps like him seriously, we are lost as a society! :lol:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Marce82 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:32 amAll of POYW by Halle Bailey:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGqCykvly80
Well, after listening to it: It`s not bad at all. But it`s obviously going to be bigger and less intimate than it`s animated predecessor. While Halle both oversings and overdramatizes it at times, she still has a nice voice, despite how it`s not particularly distinctive.
MaQu

Post by MaQu »

Toky wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:13 pm
robster16 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:43 am Don't forget that there is a VERY energised moaning whining group of people who are VERY vocal about their grievances and hatred. While a vast majority of the world truly doesn't give a rats ass and will simply be oblivious and go into cinema's in DROVES. I'm convinced this movie will be a massive hit for the studio and am not the slightest bit worried with the downvotes on the trailer. It's that negative mob that is vocal and actively searches out places and buttons like that to vocalise their anger.

This… most people in my area are extremely looking forward to this movie and give zero f*cks about Ariels skincolor…

As long as there is still so much hate towards Ariel being black, there’s more reason to have things like this… looking at everything happening now in America, this hate is definitely targeted towards skincolour and race and is disgusting ( how i perceive it as a white person)

Also the whining on this forum…guys come on…whats your age again?
I live in a, unfortunately, pretty rascist country, yet all I see are people excited about the movie. They were all mad at the beginning, but so many months later it's like they stopped caring and only trolls are still commenting with hate etc.

Obviously I believe the film will be a massive success.
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan09 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:07 am
Marce82 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:32 amAll of POYW by Halle Bailey:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGqCykvly80
Well, after listening to it: It`s not bad at all. But it`s obviously going to be bigger and less intimate than it`s animated predecessor. While Halle both oversings and overdramatizes it at times, she still has a nice voice, despite how it`s not particularly distinctive.
I agree. Her voice is fine, although I'd have preferred someone more theatrical. I think she was better on the second half of the main song than any of the reprise, personally. And I agree that it's less intimate since it's live-action, but the octave jump at "that world up above" was very nice although on paper I wouldn't think I'd like it. The key change to the reprise, on the other hand, was as bad as I thought it would be.

So...I had pretty much the opposite reaction to most people I find online, actually. I remember reading a lot of criticism to the way she ended the main song (adding 10 notes to "be" at the end or whatever), but little reaction to the reprise--and I'd say no reaction is a net positive considering when there's this much criticism of the film--which I did not care for myself. :lol:
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I agree that Halle Bailey has a very nice voice... but I'm not very keen on her (or the team's working with her) performance choices for the songs.

Btw... what is she doing during the line "wonderin' free" ????

I don't agree that this might be less intimate because it's live action (why would it be??).... but her show-off-y performance choices DO feel less intimate.

Some parts feel mechanical... other parts seem to have too many flourishes...some parts she is just showing off her voice, instead of doing what would be logical/organic to the character in that moment.

I had a negative reaction to the octave jump during the end of the reprise. Why on Earth would the character do that in that moment? Who is she showing off for? An octave jump like that is something one has to go out of their way to do... it's not what comes naturally (I believe they took that from the Broadway version... VERY different when performing to a live audience).
In the original, you can see how she does a big inhale of air, puffing out her chest, letting her natural voice belt out. It's all about her determination. High-pitch doesn't really convey that... pretty or not.
Last edited by Marce82 on Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad you liked the "love to explore that world up above", Divinity. That is my favorite part. I actually love how she sings the whole song overall. I just find her "more" inappropriate for that part, and some weird over-anunciating sometimes. The rest of the song I love. I also love the whole reprise.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

POYW with footage! Sorry if it's already been shared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUYjfKmXQYw

I find her performance at the end of the song... laughable.