Toy Story 5

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Toy Story 5

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree, Shimran. Welcome to the forum, btw! I think one of the things that have been missing from 3 and 4 was the team-up between Woody and Buzz. I understood it with 3 since they were saying goodbye to Andy, and Woody was the closest to him, so it fit that Woody took most of the spotlight there. Perhaps they made 4 more about Woody and Bo Peep because they plan for 5 to be more focused on Buzz and Jessie?

I saw a comment on another forum of someone saying the toys should go to space. :lol: Now, I know the person meant it as a joke, but I actually think I like the idea of them ending up in space for real somehow... :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I'd be fine with just going with Disney plug shorts from here on out, but if one has to exist, I do still think it can be good/great. But they already were pushing things with 4, so I dunno if they will pull this off.

I love the characters enough that I think you could continue making sequels for quite some time and still make it interesting, the problem is if you fail enough it dampens the brand. It was nearly perfect until 4. Now its more decisive. I didn't hate 4, but honestly some characters did things I felt were out of character and borderline insulting.

I wonder if they would be open to doing a prequel of some sort. I think there's a period of time they haven't covered much where they can explore. like the time between 2 and 3. or even before buzz came into the picture. how woody became the leader he is, how he found his way to andy. maybe jessie's story elaborated on.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Another project that was just announced on a recent Disney investors call is a fifth “Toy Story” film.

“The thing we’ve been really trying to do, and this has been the case for a while, is we’ve been looking at them a little bit like, okay, we’re not planning for the future. When we made the first ‘Toy Story,’ we had no idea there would be a ‘Toy Story 2.’ We’re just trying to make this movie. But that in making the movie, it takes you places, unexpected places, which is what I love about the creative process. If I knew exactly what I was doing when I started making a movie, there’d kind of be no point in making it. I discover so much along the way.” Docter equates the creative process to going on a trip where you have a specific destination in mind but along the way you get sidetracked and “come home wiser and more worldly.”

All of this is well and good but what about “Toy Story 5?” “I think it’ll be surprising,” Docter teased. “It’s got some really cool stuff that you haven’t seen before.”
https://www.thewrap.com/pete-docter-int ... y-story-5/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

He's really struggling to justify the reason why they're making another Toy Story and it shows. I'm not blaming him though; it's not like he could have said "Iger made me do it!" which is the truth.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

A Toy Story 5 was happening regardless of who was leading Disney. I mean, if they didn't stop at 3, they weren't going to stop at all...? This franchise always had Winnie the Pooh potential, as far as being able to go on forever. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the numbers after 5, and just go with subtitles after that.
Woodrow Pride
Limited Issue

Post by Woodrow Pride »

I joined the forum as soon as I heard about Toy Story 5. Being highly invested in the franchise, spending over 5 years now, researching it and analyzing everything about it (software, history, financial situations, contracts), I was so happy to find that they aren’t sealed in the coffin of the past and I’m so glad to see their faces again (or, well, not yet).

If Andrew Stanton is involved with the story I’m totally in; Andrew Stanton has been involved with the basic story of all the Toy Story movies, bringing in a lot of what was written in the original treatment for Toy Story in 1991. For example, in Toy Story 4 Andrew Stanton had the idea of Bonnie going on a road trip with Woody and Forky, and having them get left behind to find Bo, similar to the road trip that Tinny the Tin Toy went on with Andy, being left behind to meet the pre-cowboy Woody the ventriloquist dummy. (By the way, Al McWhiggins and Lotso were both in the original treatment as well).

I’m also interested in seeing if Randy Newman will be back to write the score and maybe an original song or two. Is he even up for that? He just turned 79 in November, but I doubt he’d pass up this chance to give back to the franchise that got his career going.

I also wonder who will be directing, and if Josh Cooley will be involved. Plus, can/did (the story’s already well on its way right now) they do it without Lasseter? We know Lasseter had his hand in the beginning of Toy Story 4, but now they’re on their own. Was Lasseter even the least bit influential? What will he think of it now that he’s at Skydance? He certainly wasn’t tickled about Lightyear…

I’m also interested in what they’ll do technically. With Toy Story 4, they really defined Woody’s materials, for example changing his buttons to look less like glass and more like pearls. Toy Story 4 has really stood as the marker for photorealism and technical death. They really wanted to do justice to the characters they haven’t seen in a feature film since almost 10 years before. But now Toy Story 4 has just come out only 4 years ago, and Woody already looks beyond stunning, complete with every single stitch in his twill-weaved cotton shirt. I wonder if they’ll change anything noticeable about the characters, because, seriously, can they really top it?

People have also been saying that Toy Story 5 is just a quick cash grab for Bob Iger, but I don’t necessarily think that’s true. According to the 2006 contract when Disney bought Pixar, (correct me if I’m wrong) Disney has no creative influence over Pixar, in order to preserve their culture and bring stories that aren’t “the same thing over and over again” like Disney got in the habit of doing back in the late 20th century, after Walt’s death. Disney can’t force Pixar to make a movie they don’t want to make. But also, John Lasseter, Ed Catmull, and Steve Jobs made it so that even the people at the top of Pixar can’t influence the directors much either, so that Pixar can always take a risk to make something new and extraordinary.

Anyway, let’s hope we don’t lose too much sleep because of these questions :lol: .

P. S.
Have you seen what’s on IMDb? “The Final chapter of the entire toy story franchise, After Bonnie grows up and the toys realizes that Andy is dying, it’s up to them to find Woody and Bo, and bring him back.”

Stuff worth considering:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YPDGrC ... eM7gG/view
https://vimeo.com/427431800
http://platypuscomix.com/otherpeople/or ... story.html
"You're my favorite deputy!"
Woodrow Pride
Limited Issue

Post by Woodrow Pride »

Apparently, Tom Hanks and Tim Allen were spotted having breakfast together last September:
https://www.tmz.com/2022/09/17/tom-hank ... breakfast/

And Jeff Pidgeon (veteran animator, story artist, at Pixar and voice of the little green aliens in Toy Story) has also confirmed Toy Story 5:
https://pixarpost.com/2023/02/toy-story-5.html

John Morris, voice actor for Andy in 1, 2, and 3 says he’s exited for Toy Story 5:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Co18wiJr86K/?hl=en
MaQu

Post by MaQu »

I'm a big fan of the series, so I am really overjoyed that they're making a fifth movie. I actually loved "Toy Story 4", so I trust they will make this one good too. I guess it's inevitable for Woody and Bo to reunite with the group, but I hope they will still go their own way at the end.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Would you guys be opposed to useing AI to bring back Rickles? Because I wouldn't. AI voices have gotten to sound so convincing I feel like they could totally pull off a few lines here and there that would sound exactly like him. question is, is Disney willing to do it, and could they get permission from his wife.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

They don't have any more archival recordings to use (obviously they'd be limited in his storyline/script)? It's such a touchy thing. Obviously if his wife gives permission it technically would be okay... It's like wondering "What Walt Would Do:" what would the actor think of it... we'll never know.
Disney's Divinity

I personally wish they would do something like that, seeking the family's permission. Perhaps they could pay his family for use of his voice acting "likeness." Personally, Potato Head (and the Mrs.) were always the funniest of the group of characters for me along with Hamm. I wish they could've been more present in 4. I wish Slinky would be used more, too; he really only got much spotlight in the first film.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Nah, I find all of that creepy. I'd rather see the Potato Heads recasted like Slinky, or maybe even retired like Wheezy if I had the choice.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:24 am They don't have any more archival recordings to use (obviously they'd be limited in his storyline/script)? It's such a touchy thing. Obviously if his wife gives permission it technically would be okay... It's like wondering "What Walt Would Do:" what would the actor think of it... we'll never know.
They have more, as they intended to use them in a scene or two cut from ts4. But I don't think there's much usable stuff frankly.

I have a feeling Rickles didn't guard his legacy so closely that this would bother him at all.

But the only other person I could see replacing him was Jerry Stiller, but hes gone now too. so I have no confidence anyone else could do it.
Woodrow Pride
Limited Issue

Post by Woodrow Pride »

A teaser poster? Already?
Attachments
ToyStory5Poster.jpg
ToyStory5Poster.jpg (6.51 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

thats clearly fanmade
Woodrow Pride
Limited Issue

Post by Woodrow Pride »

Kyle wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:13 pm thats clearly fanmade
It is? Sorry mates. Whoever made that sure fooled me. :lol:
MaQu wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:35 am I'm a big fan of the series, so I am really overjoyed that they're making a fifth movie. I actually loved "Toy Story 4", so I trust they will make this one good too. I guess it's inevitable for Woody and Bo to reunite with the group, but I hope they will still go their own way at the end.
Thank you! 100% agree.
Woodrow Pride
Limited Issue

Post by Woodrow Pride »

Another apparently fanmade poster:
Attachments
MSDTOST_BV001-e16759z6571260_10544–n.jpg
MSDTOST_BV001-e16759z6571260_10544–n.jpg (7.22 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
Woodrow Pride
Limited Issue

Post by Woodrow Pride »

This claims to have leaked images from Toy Story 5:

DISNEY'S TOY STORY 5 FIRST LOOK! LEAKED IMAGES!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTH5Q7tXC2I

There’s no way Pixar would have final shots yet. Does anyone else agree that it looks AI generated?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Woodrow Pride wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:27 pm This claims to have leaked images from Toy Story 5:

DISNEY'S TOY STORY 5 FIRST LOOK! LEAKED IMAGES!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTH5Q7tXC2I

There’s no way Pixar would have final shots yet. Does anyone else agree that it looks AI generated?
I don't buy this. They only started doing Toy Story 5 last August, BEFORE Iger came back, meaning Chapek mandated this.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Guys, you have to realize there are now models from kingdom hearts 3 out there, and 3d artists out thave cleaned them up further and released so that anyone can download and animate buzz and woody with a high level of accuracy to the films. There's now a plethora of fan animations out there that with the right amount of skill are going to look very official, but are not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywa2-xd ... lvbg%3D%3D

It should take more than a few stills and even some animation to convince you they're legit.

On top of that, there's the pixar internship program, so you might see a lot of these types of animations.
Not really "canon" but I guess theres a hint of authenticity thanks to the association, but again, its just a training exercise for students.

https://youtu.be/RidY2idqpIo

Point is, theres a ton of content fans will probably try to pass off as toy story 5, its all bs.
Look for something that is undeniably toy story 5. You should know it when you see it.