Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2022

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2022

Post by Farerb »

At least Pixar has Turning Red to save them from complete humiliation.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Oh, yes, you're right. I forgot about Turning Red when I wrote that.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:12 amBy the way, finally Pinocchio only got one nomination, right? It wasn't nominated for best score or song, like it was at the Golden Globes.
No, it wasn't which makes it more possible for Marcel to pull a CODA and win instead.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:42 pm
D82 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:12 amBy the way, finally Pinocchio only got one nomination, right? It wasn't nominated for best score or song, like it was at the Golden Globes.
No, it wasn't which makes it more possible for Marcel to pull a CODA and win instead.
At this point, the Best Animated Feature award could go to any of the nominees.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Both the Annies and the Producers Guild Awards are tonight, which are the last two major stops before the Oscars. Here's a link to watch the Annie ceremony, for anyone interested. Last week Pinocchio took home the BAFTA, the animation award at the Art Directors Guild and three Visual Effects Society awards (only surpassed by the Avatar sequel at this last ceremony, which got nine). We'll see if it continues to sweep tonight.
Sotiris wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:42 pm
I think that's still possible. I agree it's a bit like CODA; it's a smaller movie compared to Pinocchio and it's quite emotional, but I wonder if enough people will have seen it. According to what you posted, if I understood it correctly, Academy members are advised to watch a third of the films in contention to select the nominees, and every group is assigned certain films, so each movie is supposedly seen by at least a third of the voters, right? But when it comes to choosing the winner, everyone can vote and they aren't required to watch any of the nominated films, or are they?

EDIT: Pinocchio won both the Annie and the PGA award. It received 5 Annies in total: Feature, Direction, Character Animation, Production Design and Music. Marcel the Shell got three (Indie Feature, Writing and Voice Acting for Jenny Slate), Puss in Boots: The Last Wish two (Storyboarding and Editorial) and The Bad Guys one (Character Design). Disney's films Turning Red, Lightyear and Strange World went home empty-handed, as did The Sea Beast, Wendell & Wild or My Father's Dragon.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Congratulations to Pinocchio!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Avaitor wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:28 pm Congratulations to Pinocchio!
I'm glad that both Pinocchio films managed to win something this year :P
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:30 amI'm glad that both Pinocchio films managed to win something this year :P
:lol: What are the odds? It must be some kind of record.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney will be back to win next year with Wish.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:21 am Disney will be back to win next year with Wish.
I hope so. Wish looks incredible so far. Laika's film is the only thing I've heard of (so far) that I would think would be competition. And since I don't think Ghibli's film will be competing if it doesn't receive a U.S. theatrical release, right?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:03 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:21 am Disney will be back to win next year with Wish.
I hope so. Wish looks incredible so far. Laika's film is the only thing I've heard of (so far) that I would think would be competition. And since I don't think Ghibli's film will be competing if it doesn't receive a U.S. theatrical release, right?
We don’t even know that Laila’s film will be out this year.
Disney's Divinity

Oh, really? It must've been a soft release date I had read (with potential to change), I guess. Thank you.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Yeah, Laika have a few films in development, but none of them seem to have an upcoming release date. I'd be surprised if we saw their next film this year.

Right now, I think that Disney has a good shot of winning again next year, between Wish and Elemental. The Mario movie has a good chance of outdoing both in the box-office, but I doubt that it'll be a serious award threat, even if it turns out good.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Avaitor wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:39 am Yeah, Laika have a few films in development, but none of them seem to have an upcoming release date. I'd be surprised if we saw their next film this year.

Right now, I think that Disney has a good shot of winning again next year, between Wish and Elemental. The Mario movie has a good chance of outdoing both in the box-office, but I doubt that it'll be a serious award threat, even if it turns out good.
The real threats to both Disney and Pixar are Chicken Run, Spider-Verse and Nimona. I actually think Spider-Verse has more chances of winning. Mario won't even be nominated.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:53 am
Avaitor wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:39 am Yeah, Laika have a few films in development, but none of them seem to have an upcoming release date. I'd be surprised if we saw their next film this year.

The real threats to both Disney and Pixar are Chicken Run, Spider-Verse and Nimona. I actually think Spider-Verse has more chances of winning. Mario won't even be nominated.
Well I don’t think Chicken Run or Spider-Verse will win if they’re sequels that disappoint. So, I think it’s between Nimona and Wish
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:01 pm Well I don’t think Chicken Run or Spider-Verse will win if they’re sequels that disappoint. So, I think it’s between Nimona and Wish
And who said Nimona or Wish won't disappoint? A year ago everyone thought Lightyear was going to be nominated and a frontrunner for the win.
I think you're underestimating Spider-Verse. The people behind it are taking it very seriously, which is why they postponed the release to 2023, and the Academy obviously still remembers and respects the original. Honestly if they gave the award for Toy Story 4 instead of Klaus, just because Toy Story has a revered name, I don't see how Spider-Verse is any different.
Disney's Divinity

Spider-verse is definitely a big threat, but Ariana Debose being a part of Wish could give that film a boost with Oscar voters, too.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Farerb wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:53 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about these. Spiderverse seems like the one to beat, yeah, but Aardman and the first Chicken Run are beloved. If this sequel can somehow match the original, that's another serious contender. I don't know about Nimona though, but I'm not a fan of ND Stevenson's storytelling, so I may not be the best judge.

Honestly though, Wish is my most anticipated of all of these, but I'm always happy to see animation thrive beyond the major studios.
Disney's Divinity

I finally saw Marcel the Shell with Shoes On yesterday. I thought it was very cute, although I definitely think Del Toro's Pinocchio was more deserving of the Oscar now that I've seen both films.

It's supposed to be a satire of documentaries, right? At least, that's how I took it, it always poked fun at dumb things common in documentaries, the over-seriousness. I liked it, although it's not something I think I'd watch more than once in a very long time. I almost wonder if there might be a sequel since it went on to be so successful. At least I can imagine a sequel that delves more into all the different family members and neighbors and so on being fun somehow.