The Last of Us (2022, HBO)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Last of Us (2022, HBO)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Has anyone else been watching The Last of Us? It's so, so, so good.

I had seen some gameplay (I may have seen most cut scenes from the first game and some of the 2nd years ago). The show, I think, can be very enjoyable for people not familiar with the game.

It's mostly focused on the characters, and they're great characters.

In last night's Episode 3, it was nice seeing Joel start to warm up to Ellie (just the hint of a smile, even when he's gone through so much and usually seems kind of emotionally numb [to deal with it all]). I wasn't familiar with Bill and Frank from the game, but damn Ep3 focusing on them was terrific. Just like a really well told slice-of-life piece.
Disney's Divinity

Re: The Last of Us (2022, HBO)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

There was a free HBO weekend, so I saw the first four episodes. I am a gamer, but I don't really play games that often if I'm being honest and only a few brand names really, so I didn't even realize this was based on a video game until after I'd already seen them. I thought the one-episode plot in episode 3 was sweet; Frank looked a little bit like Robby Benson. Funnily enough, the same weekend I watched this, the main actor was on SNL. :lol: He was really good, too.

I think it's an interesting concept. There are so many ways an apocalypse could happen theoretically, so it's fun to see something with a sort of twist on "zombies." I like the actress who plays Ellie, she was on The Worst Witch remake. I also noticed Josh Brener, who played on 101 Dalmatian Street.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

I agree that Frank looks like Robbie Benson!

I love the evolution of Ellie and Joel's relationship in the last episode! Almost like they're family.

I know the new characters being introduced in Ep 5 are supposed to hit us in the feels.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I've been watching and have really enjoyed it so far!

I was a little hesitant to start it, because I'm little over the whole "apocalypse/zombie outbreak" genre, but the fungal twist is pretty interesting. I like the character work in this. I do find the young girl annoying at times. I'm just tired of that kind of character, but at the same time I don't know what to expect. Her kind of being makes sense for the world they're in.

The episode with Bill and Frank is a masterpiece though. I'm hooked now because of that one episode.

I'm not much of a gamer at all. I play almost strictly Pokémon games, Mario Kart, and Fortnite. I have no clue what this series will bring, but I'm here for it!
shimran

Post by shimran »

Interesting, can anybody explain the story line because I want suggestions before watching any new movie.
blackcauldron85

It's a TV show on HBO Max, not a movie. It's based on a video game. There's a fungus spreading (think like a virus) over the world, and people who get infected essentially become zombies, and the longer they stay infected, they mutate into less and less of a human, and more and more like a blind mushroom zombie. If the infected person bites another person, that person becomes infected.

There's a person who is immune to the bites and might be humanity's cure. So the show is about the journey to get that person to people who might be able to create a cure.

It's a very character-driven show, it just has great moments between the characters we've come to care about, it can be very exciting at times, but even the more leisurely parts are great.
blackcauldron85

Yes!!!

'The Last of Us' Is Coming to Blu-ray and Digital This Summer
https://collider.com/last-of-us-series- ... ease-date/
The Last of Us: The Complete First Season will be available to purchase Digitally on April 11, while the 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD will be available on July 18 to purchase online and in-store.
I loved the whole season, and even though a long time ago I watched cut scenes of the game, there's a lot I don't know, and I've been reading up in the TLoU wiki to learn more. This'll be an easy purchase for me. (Our friend came over every week and she has HBO Max so this'll be the only way for me to watch it again unless she comes over.)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

So weird to think shimran was a bot considering it interacted with you in a fairly believable manner, blackcauldron85...

I'm happy for you that you'll be able to watch it now. I noticed the main actor from this show was in the audience at the Oscars the other night. I can see him transitioning to film pretty easily (if he hasn't been in film already).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

I don't understand bots...so weird. What's the point to just interact (I get it if they're posting illegal links).

I was able to watch it on our friend's HBO but I'm excited to revisit it for sure.

Pedro Pascal is also The Mandalorian (obviously covered most of the time!) & was on Game of Thrones. IMDB shows 3 movies in various forms of production. He's been in a bunch of movies per IMDB, most notably (aka ones I've heard of) Wonder Woman 1984, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, The Great Wall, The Adjustment Bureau.

He's been in 3 of the hottest TV shows so I'm sure he'll be in demand for future projects!