How to Train Your Dragon

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: How to Train Your Dragon 2 Trailer 2014

Post by Avaitor »

Sotiris wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:But there's no sentimental attachment to him like to Andy or something.
There are hundreds of fans on Tumblr who feel otherwise. :lol:
tumblr isn't always a great indicator of the majority, though. Otherwise, you'd think that everyone alive watched Supernatural, vote Democrat, and went to Warped Tour.

Although I do really like Hiccup myself, and I liked the reveal at the end.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Hiccup got buff. :mischief:
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Welp, for a sequel, I wasn't expecting Hiccup to be on steroids. Get the hint?
frankf3
Gold Classic Collection

Post by frankf3 »

TheValentineBros wrote:Welp, for a sequel, I wasn't expecting Hiccup to be on steroids. Get the hint?
Everything except his voice for some strange reason....... :wink:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:But there's no sentimental attachment to him like to Andy or something.
There are hundreds of fans on Tumblr who feel otherwise. :lol:
That may just be why I'm never on that side of Tumblr then :lol:
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

frankf3 wrote:
TheValentineBros wrote:Welp, for a sequel, I wasn't expecting Hiccup to be on steroids. Get the hint?
Everything except his voice for some strange reason....... :wink:
In other words, he still sounds like a teenager. Amirite? Huh? Huh?
taei
Special Edition

DreamWorks' How To Train Your Dragon 2

Post by taei »

Well.. I looked for a topic and I couldn't find one.

This movie is pure perfection. It's amazing.
I've already seen it 4 times and I still can't believe how good it is.

So I wanted to see what y'all thought about it!
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Re: DreamWorks' How To Train Your Dragon 2

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Well, you're over at the other forum, so you may have seen my thoughts already, but I'm just gonna repost that here:

I really enjoyed this. A great follow-up to the original. I don't think the original film needed a sequel, but this felt like a very organic progression, as integrating the dragons into life at Berk would surely lead to much of the world being opened up to them.

Great storytelling and really great character development. The relationship between Hiccup and Toothless, Stoic, and Valka, his mother (spoiler just in case? lol) were each so thoroughly explored and nicely done. I agree with many others that the film dared to go places that most mainstream family films would shy away from, but such moments really did help to create a more emotionally investing experience. You're heartless if you didn't shed some tears during this film.

And the visuals and animation were just breathtaking. Frankly speaking, in the visuals and animation department, the first film was a couple of steps behind its contemporaries like Toy Story 3, Tangled, and even DreamWorks' own Shrek Forever After. But this film was just amazing in that respect. The lighting was glorious. And the nuances in the expressions of the characters were particularly impressive. I really loved how they animated the hints of uncertainty in Hiccup's face as he rose to take up responsibility as chief at the end of the film.

And the soundtrack goes without saying. I think the first film had a slightly stronger soundtrack, but this one is still has one of the strongest soundtracks, period. I also liked how they integrated Powell's main theme into the Jonsi song.

As of now, I'd give the edge to this film over the original. (As much as I love the first film, I have a couple of issues with it, and I'm in the camp that thinks it's slightly overrated.) Both this and The Lego Movie are much stronger than the strongest efforts from the mainstream US studios of last year (Frozen and The Croods, both of which I loved), and with some other promising projects coming (Boxtrolls, Big Hero 6), this is looking to be a great year for animated films.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Re: How to Train Your Dragon 2

Post by Musical Master »

I saw this one with my older sister and we both really liked this one. To me, this and Maleficent are the most solid summer movies so far.

However the Stoick death was sort of predictable and the big turn where Toothless, more or less, becomes the dragon version of an OP Jesus without the prophecy, was a bit random :lol:. But the really good things are stronger than any quibble I have here and it's kind of sad that it was beaten by 22 Jump Street.

I say go see this without any second thought! :D
Last edited by Musical Master on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Yes! You SHOULD go see it. It's totally worth it.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Astrid is still the cool character she was in the first film and I loved that! :D
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

saw it yesterday & I liked it, but still prefered the first one. This one I do like that they tried to focus on more mature serious themes, but for that reason I thought the comedy moments really stuck out badly & felt off compared to the first one. The first one had really cringeworthy lines(You the viking!) but here I hated what they did to the other kids(Hiccup & Astrid's friends) they spent the whole movie oogling each other and that new guy. ugh! It was so lame & a bit sexist (Imagine if the genders was reversed during the scenes where Rufnut kept harrassing forgot his name, the dragon catcher for Drago.)

also i thought Stoic's death I felt they should have dwelled on it bit more, it seemed like he dies, he was mourned & then they moved on to the next battle. It felt like it should have been more emotional for Hiccup & his mom.

The lighting was glorious.
yeah! oh wow I just loved the visuals! I agree about the lighting & its somehting Ive noticed with DW movies like this & ROTG, they are fantastic with lighting. I love that they use moody naturalitic lighting in their films instead of that cheap saturated candy color Disney & Pixar tend to favor. It gives such a feeling of atmosphere to these film that I love.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

This one was great! I loved the visuals. I thought the flight suit was a cool concept, executed perfectly. Generally, it's all good.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Saw it last night and LOVED it. This is what Disney is missing in storytelling and Dreamworks should be doing, not Penguins or Home (I want to see that though). Beautiful animation +music, great characters, exciting adventure, and lots of emotions. Better than the first.
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

I finally got around to seeing this movie, and loved it. Better than the first one, and even better than the last 3 Pixar films. I thought the 1st one was the best Dreamworks film, but not anymore haha. And while I did love "Frozen", I thought this one was more enjoyable.

The first appearance of Hiccip and Toothless with the song "Where No One Goes", was just awesome in so many ways. I saw that as their way of saying... "we're back!"

Just sucks that it is not a huge blockbuster hit that it deserves to be.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I finally saw this. As you can tell, I was in no hurry. :P

Overall, I enjoyed the film up until Hiccup's father dies. After that, the film goes to hell for me. Maybe it's just because that moment wasn't given much attention after it happened; Hiccup seemed more focused on Toothless than grieving for his father. Honestly, I was more impacted about seeing the white alpha die. It felt like that was supposed to be a stakes-raising moment, but it just sucked all the air out of the movie for me. I wasn't crazy about Hiccup's mother'sintroduction, although I'll say Cate Blanchett did a great job trying to make that twist work. I thought she did a fantastic job, even though I didn't care for the development overall. That said, I did love the scene where Hiccup's father and mother reunited; the couple is like a better version of Elinor and the King in Brave, imo.

The new dragon designs weren't as good as Toothless in any way, but they were okay; the only one I thought was clever was the mother's dragon, the one that moved its head like an owl. The alpha designs were the worst though. The villain was absolutely awful. Not a threat, horrible voice acting, although the design had potential. Honestly, I looked in the credits to check because I was sure the villain was being voiced by Brad Pitt. :lol:

Honestly, the whole thing felt like an episode of the TV series. I think I might've come away with that impression because they spent so much time at no particular "location"--everything was in the air, or moving from here to here with no discernable landmarks. Barely anything happened at the village that was the focus of the first movie. Personally, I believe the movie would have been better if the father hadn't died until the third film, and the conflict was just Toothless becoming possessed by the alpha's call. That way, they could've built up the conflict with Hiccup not really wanting to be the chief, given an epic climactic fight at the village for this film ending with Toothless becoming the alphas, and also given time for Hiccup's parents to re-establish their relationship before the punch to the gut in 3. With this film, what could they possibly do with a third movie?

Am I the only one who thought Hiccup's girlfriend would become the chief? That seems like something she'd be better-suited at than him? Plus, she'd probably enjoy it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Re: How to Train Your Dragon

Post by blackcauldron85 »

How To Train Your Dragon Is Getting A Live-Action Adaptation In 2025
https://www.slashfilm.com/1201335/how-t ... n-in-2025/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Dreamworks waited for the worst time to finally jump on the remake craze though. Disney's remakes have been a string of failures for the most part since Mulan in 2022. Even TLM I don't expect to be as big as it would've been, and that's due to several factors (that film being unfaithful, Disney having trained people to watch things at home rather than see things in sequels, people having turned on Disney's bait-and-switch game with their recent remakes, etc.).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Universal’s ‘How To Train Your Dragon’ Live-Action Adaptation Taps Mason Thames And Nico Parker To Star
https://deadline.com/2023/05/universals ... 235382800/

Gerard Butler Reprising ‘How To Train Your Dragon’ Role In Universal’s Live-Action Adaptation
https://deadline.com/2024/01/gerard-but ... 235696338/

‘How to Train Your Dragon’ Live-Action Remake Adds Nick Frost as One of the Vikings
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235785691/

‘How to Train Your Dragon’ Live-Action Movie Adds Four to Cast
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235806227/

‘How to Train Your Dragon’ Lands ‘Fall of the House of Usher’ Actress Ruth Codd
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235828136/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage