Toy Story 5

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Toy Story 5

Post by Sotiris »

Another Toy Story film was just announced as being in the works.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Toy Story 5

Post by Farerb »

carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Thank goodness they “uncanceled” Tim Allen!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Tim Allen was never cancelled in the first place. Another pretend "victim" in the "culture war."
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I'm personally hoping it goes the Lightyear route - doa. TS4 is a horrendous enough
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

I feel there's only ONE way to tell Toy Story 5: the search for Wheezy.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This feels played out. Pun fully intended.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I wonder what the plot could be this time around. Obviously, something big needs to happen for Woody & Bo Beep to reunite with the rest of the gang. A quest to save someone like Andy, Bonnie or another toy? A plan to stop humans from finding out toys come to life? Whatever it is, there needs to be an important reason for the gang to get back together. That's like storytelling 101.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

The franchise really should've ended with 3, but we live in a world where 4 existed and performed well so here we are...

I just want it to perform sub-par so maybe some other films get sequels, if they're hell-bent on making sequels. By name alone though, it'll probably be just fine.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

singerguy04 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:32 amI just want it to perform sub-par so maybe some other films get sequels, if they're hell-bent on making sequels. By name alone though, it'll probably be just fine.
Well, based on their box office intake, the only Pixar franchises that warrant more movie sequels besides Toy Story are The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Inside Out, Coco, Monsters Inc., and Up.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

In my opinion, if Lightyear had been successful, they would have just made more sequels to that. Since it bombed hard, they panicked and decided to make Toy Story 5. I doubt they have a story at this point, or who will even be the director.

I too wonder how they'll continue Woody's story after his newfound atheism and realizing he doesn't need to serve a god in order to have a purpose in life.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:48 amIn my opinion, if Lightyear had been successful, they would have just made more sequels to that.
Definitely. The end credits scene in Lightyear was a setup for a sequel after all. They would have probably done a Woody spin-off in the vein of Lightyear too.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I think the intention was just to continue "Toy Story" with Lightyear and the new Buzz. A Woody project would be weird, because if it were popular then how would to story of Lightyear really work when Buzz is supposed to be based on that movie? Unless it were styled like an Old School Western... which would be cool. I doubt Disney or Pixar would be brave enough to do that though.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

singerguy04 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:39 pmUnless it were styled like an Old School Western... which would be cool. I doubt Disney or Pixar would be brave enough to do that though.
That's what I had in mind. Yeah, it would have been a bit of a gamble, but not that much more than a somber and dreary sci-fi film.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

A Woody's Roundup TV show could be fun, I'd honestly prefer that to this. They probably couldn't get Tom Hanks for that (maybe his brother), but I'd be happy if Kelsey Grammer would return for Stinky Pete.

As for what to do for a fifth Toy Story? Maybe it could involve Woody's history with Andy, bringing it back to his dad. I'm sure that he'll reunite with the toys at some point, but I don't know if that's really necessary, it's not like Woody has any connection with them. He always seems like that guy in the friend group who thinks they're the leader, but doesn't really connect with anyone and doesn't understand the inside jokes they have.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I'd be more happy with it if Woody, Jesse, Buzz, and Bo Peep took a back seat in this one. Have them be there to help make jokes and so on, but I'd really like to see something more focused on Rex or Slinky-dog. Make one of them the hero this go around. I think that's where you draw more life into the series, we don't know too much about those characters overall, and they're referenced pretty heavily in products and the theme parks.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

rodrigo_ca wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:43 am I'm personally hoping it goes the Lightyear route - doa. TS4 is a horrendous enough
It does not suck, way better overall than the third one and actually feels much more like Toy story. They actually look like toys, villain is way better,Better overall moral and use of the concepts/world in the world building, just has more of the feeling overall. Maybe give it another chance?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I learned to appreciate the Toy Story films over the years, I still wouldn't count them as my absolute favorites, I guess back in the 90s I was more reluctant to care about something that looked like the first Toy Story compared to Disney films back then, so I didn't often revisit it like I did Disney films on VHS. I can understand why people like them.

With that being said, while I don't think Toy Story 4 is outright bad and kind of liked it when it was released, I think it's pretty mediocre, Forky is just a plot device, and extremely annoying, the shenanigans at the antique store are not that interesting, the rest of the toys are useless and don't really do anything.

I just think that if you're going to continue after the way the third one ended, you need to make it big and worthwhile to justify its existence and I think the fourth movie failed to do that.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

As a hard-core lifelong Pixar and Toy story fan [the second one is my favourite movie of all time BTW; Seriously, it’s actually kind of scary how it’s literally a cinematic twin of me as if you truly know it inside and out then you truly know me and vice versa :-) I can say with objective certainty That the third one is definitely the weakest out of the four [better than lightyear And of course not the weakest/worst Pixar sequel or movie] For various reasons:

Despite being directed by none other than the editor of the first two movies and having codirected three other Pixar movies [including the second toy story no less] Lee unkrichnreally should’ve directed at least a short film before fully directing this one as it shows in his directing with it feeling overall rushed And not very competent. He even states in the audio commentary that they purposefully made the scene where the chatter telephone is Telling Woody about the security at Sunnyside that they deliberately made it feel like you’re watching a different movie, Which is something that also shows throughout the rest of the movie; it just feels like there’s something different/missing with this the other three movies do have, One of it most prominently being that they literally do not look like toys. The first 2 being some of the first computer animated movies, And hence the overall reason Why they decided to make movies about toys as the first computer animated movies is because of the Computer creating a similar plasticky lock, which obviously gives the characters and world and natural looking aesthetic which the fourth one later brought back in a more realistic looking way which also ironically according to the art of toy story 3 Lee Unkrich Was against feeling that it wouldn’t capture and look and feel the same, and yet the fourth one and only has them looking the same but also capturing more the Natural toy like feel, even if it still does look noticeably different, But in which case is more like an advancement in technology while again still overall looking and feeling like they are toys and like we are still with the same characters in the same world. The third one feels more like I’m watching a cartoon as opposed to a natural and authentic representation And feeling of them as toys. They still look the same and still somewhat mostly look like toys, But again in a more cartoony looking way which has it feel overall different.

And again, going back to the directing, a lot of things particularly in the second half of the movie feel very abrupt. Lot so’s backstory in particular pales in comparison To Jessie‘s song and even duke caboom‘s backstory. What the former, even regardless of the beautiful sadness of the song, in the span of two seconds whenever she falls under the bed and looks Up at what Emily and her friend are doing, when you see the look on Jessie‘s face, You truly connect to and immediately know how she feels. With Duke’s backstory, in a similar moment you immediately get the overall feeling of not only him but Rejohn‘s disappointment in not being able to do exactly what the commercial advertised that Duke Could do, truly showing with Pixar let alone filmmaking does best when it’s at its peak in only a span of a few moments immediately connecting you to and overall feeling the truth and essence of the situation, even when you’re a little kid and don’t Completely understand everything that’s going on; in other words, a true showcase of “show, don’t tell” or even “don’t JUST tell, also show”. Lot so’s story is missing that kind of moment. From a writing point of view, the sequence overall works out, but it really needed better directing. Don’t get me wrong, it still feels very impactful when he snaps and says “she betrayed us , come on!“ And then abuses big baby and chuckles, But the buildup towards it is lacking. They say and do At least kind of show him and daisy being close and together, but during that whole showcase, We either don’t see lots so coming to life to show how HE Truly feels about all of this, of which Jessie Also did several other times and not just in that moment I mentioned, or have a moment that flows and works in the way of Duke‘s, outside of it being too broad or general. In other words, again There’s no real connection to or proof Of how lotso Feels about All of this weather through direct expression Or in a specific moment Outside of what Chuckles is telling us and what the movie pretty much is literally transcribing, to the point where it seems like lots so might actually be faking his overall love for daisy and or just comes Off as “I’m automatically going to be evil now” all because of a general situation with no directly overall Personal or emotionally poignant enough moments To help us feel as connected as he (Supposedly) should be to the situation.

Not only in Lotso‘s backstory, but in the whole third act of the movie when they get on the garbage truck and go to the dump. It always feels very rushed with no real time to feel as satisfyingly connected, despite some great moments. Especially compared to all the other climaxes in the other movies which felt perfectly paced, even with the criticism of the goodbye at the end of the fourth one that some people had, well especially upon re-watching it, it feels naturally and realistically paste in a way that’s still overall satisfying, because it had a much better structure and build up, not to mention Of course not only the previous three movies but the shorts, TV specials and other things [including kingdom hearts III Released that same here in fact which is overall canon to the franchise :-) To build up towards this goodbye which is What The third One’s third act was also trying to do and I get it in A similar kind of natural and realistic pace, but again too abrupt and not as satisfying [I'm of course talking about the garbage sequence. The third one’s actual ending is of course very sad and I always cry every time I see and even think about it as well :-)

The way that buzz was handled in the third one is also overall worse as well. While what they did to him their overall works and is funny, I’m not really a fan of brainwashing, And either way, regardless of what you think, it And other things with him somehow overall feels a bit off. There are two lines that he says [“our mission with Andy is complete Woody”. And “I, I guess that makes sense”] where he sounds a bit off and not very competent. And literally every other line during the entire franchise that Tim Allen [and Chris Evans And other sound Alikes for Tim Allen for that matter] Sounds very competent, Natural and very reassuring, which is what helps make his ordeal in the fourth one work, and personally why I’m quite shocked the people of such a big issue with that?! I mean, I’ve always interpreted it as buzz trying to understand what Woody Is trying to overcome, as keep in mind that literally everything that’s grounded and overall based in reality that Buzz has learned is come from Woody, And this right here is the last missing piece that he needs to overcome, and the way that they handled it was very natural sound and perfect. You can also say that it answers the long standing “plot hole“ as to why in the first one is boss doesn’t know that he’s a toy does he act like one when people are around? Maybe, just maybe he is questioning what THAT instinct/inner voice is and it’s forwarded it as what Woody is trying to sort through? But with the third one, he just Comes off and seems more dumb than what people are accusing him of being in the fourth one, even with Chunk‘s comment of him “He ain’t the sharpest knife in the place where they keep the knives”.

Going back to the ending, while yes it is one of the saddest and most cry inducing endings of any movie, let alone anything, the thing is, It more than seems like a lot of people are only basing their overall opinion on the movie based on the ending and it’s effect. People make it seem like it’s just the ending that exists and literally or next to literally nothing else from the movie, as you don’t really hear/see A lot of people talk about anything else about the movie besides the ending. As it stands, out of all four of the main movies, three has the least amount of plot/things going on in it, As basically the entire movie is literally the opening playtime sequence, they go to the daycare, Woody breaks out, Woody Breaks back in And they breakout, they go to the dump and come back to Andy’s/Bonnie’s and that’s Almost more than basically The entire movie aside from some little things with Barbie and ken And a small tiny excursion/introduction to Bonnie. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it just overall doesn’t have as much to offer as the other movies, especially the second one with it having woody and buzz and Rex with his game/Zurg, And even a lot of other little subplots like Mr. and Mrs. potato head, Hamm With his wit and thoughts on Al, And of course Jessie With her past experiences and feelings, not to mention Wheezy And other similar kinds of things in the first one, and even the fourth one with Woody and Bo And their stories, Buzz and his thing, which BTW adds up to a decent amount of screen time/subplot as he has any other movies even if a tiny bit less, same as the other toys as Jessie Has a little arc and even a great moment where she does what Woody and Buzz did for her and the second one with the van, and even the other characters doing their own little things like they’ve always done in the other movies, which is actually even a bit more or if not about the same as what the new characters did in the third one BTW, and Forky and of course Gabby Gabby have their own storyline and little things going on there, and ducky and bunny peel :-) Speaking of gabby gabby, And going back to my critique on lots so, she is a much better villain as we immediately understand why she does what she does and why And how she feels and why all of this means so much to her. She is a rare antique doll with The need for a very rare voice box that’s near impossible to find to truly fix/complete her, And being a big tall doll, She can’t exactly go out into the world and be a lost toy Like Woody, Bo And company, and as Woody has proven initially, no one that would have access to that kind of thing that she needs what exactly be willing to give it over to her so she had to Do what she had to doWhich is something that literally all of us can relate to when will have to go through in some kind of way, whether we want to admit Or even acknowledge it. We all just can’t Stay put or even content with how things overall are as we very likely need or at least need to try to get that Kind of theme we’re looking for in order to again feel complete or obtain true overall satisfaction, no matter what no matter how otherwise it may seem.

Again, with all this being said, I still love the third one, but I stand by that it is More than overall objectively the weakest and worst overall made out of all of them, if feeling more like a spin off then four and even some of the actual spinoff short films etc. that they’ve made with this
shimran

Post by shimran »

I love to watch Woody & Buzz in action again. I love how John LasseterIt tells the story of a group of toys which come to life when people are not around, and the adventures they go on as they try to find their purpose and place in the world. In previous parts, Woody and Buzz face a lot of challenges and they teach us how to work together and value each other's strengths and personalities.