Bob Iger is Back!!!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Bob Iger is Back!!!

Post by Farerb »

Bob Iger is desperate.

I wonder if there's some sort of contract between Pixar and Brad Bird that only he could do sequels for The Incredibles.

Aren't people disgusted that the only reason he announced these is to distract people from his announcement of laying off 7,000 people? and it worked too cause no one seems to talk about that!
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

A little more info on the layoffs and restructuring:

Disney to eliminate 7,000 jobs, CEO Bob Iger says
https://abc7.com/disney-layoffs-bob-ige ... /12787757/
...In all, $3 billion in cuts will come from content, excluding sports, he added; while $2.5 billion will come from non-content cuts...The layoffs amount to roughly 3% of the company's 220,000 workers worldwide...restructuring that will divide the company into three core businesses: Disney Entertainment, ESPN and Disney Parks...
That's so tough, so many people losing their jobs. 😔☹️

*edit*
Disney plans to cut 7,000 jobs and reward shareholders
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/08/business ... index.html
50% of the cost savings would come from marketing expenses, 30% from labor savings and 20% of the cost savings would come from less spending on technology, procurement and other expenses.
*edit*
Another thing to keep in mind, some reports are showing that Disney is cutting 3% of their workforce. The parks, which are not expected to take a significant hit, constitute the bulk of the workforce. 7,000 corporate and media jobs is a significant number.
Iger says they also will be more selective in Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars branded content.
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... live-blog/
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

A headline I saw....
Get woke. Get fired. Disney to axe 7,000 jobs...

Too bad Disney will reorganize and “reshape” without anyone asking, “Why doesn’t anyone like our product anymore?”
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Bob Iger Gets Blunt: Hollywood Can’t Give Up on the Old Until the New Starts Making Real Money
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/disn ... 235517437/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Sotiris wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:59 pm
robster16 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:58 pm He just announced that sequels to Toy Story, Frozen and Zootopia are in the works. If that's sign of the "creativity" we can expect from Disney in the future then I'm officially done with the studio...
Iger is pulling out the big guns. I guess that's one way to get the stock back up again. He's doing the same thing he did before his retirement where he planned all the heavy hitters to be released at the same time so he would leave with a bang. As for creativity, they run out of that at Disney a long time ago. Besides, creativity is more than just coming up with original IP.

I'm actually surprised they haven't announced another sequel to The Incredibles and Finding Nemo whose previous installments also hit the billion dollar mark. Maybe they're saving that for the next earnings call. :P
The third Finding Nemo movie should be Finding Coral, since I don't actually believe Coral died as we never saw a body.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I'm empathetic to those that are going to lose their jobs, but this announcement isn't necessarily a surprise. I think we all saw it coming, and the company is restructuring so job loss was inevitable for some.

In a way, I'm glad it isn't the lowest on the totem poll that are going to take the biggest hit.

I just hope the company's restructuring works out, and that those people aren't without jobs for long.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:30 amThe third Finding Nemo movie should be Finding Coral, since I don't actually believe Coral died as we never saw a body.
I think it should be Finding Marlin. First Nemo gets lost, then Dory, now Marlin. It would be consistent. Maybe they can give him a new love interest too. I don't like the idea of resurrecting Coral. That would feel cheap. It would alter the family dynamics too much and undo the emotional weight of the trauma experienced in the first one.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:54 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:30 amThe third Finding Nemo movie should be Finding Coral, since I don't actually believe Coral died as we never saw a body.
I think it should be Finding Marlin. First Nemo gets lost, then Dory, now Marlin. It would be consistent. Maybe they can give him a new love interest too. I don't like the idea of resurrecting Coral. That would feel cheap. It would alter the family dynamics too much and undo the emotional weight of the trauma experienced in the first one.
Who ever said Coral had to be resurrected or that she died...?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:49 pm
Sotiris wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:54 am
Who ever said Coral had to be resurrected or that she died...?
Not claiming that Finding Nemo is intended or thought to be the great work of film art... but the nuance in the film to not show her actual death was an artistic choice by the creators. We don't need to see every screen character's death played out, to understand they are gone.

I think her sacrificing herself to save her babies makes her heroic, and the tragedy of her passing lives on through Nemo. His "Little Fin" is a constant reminder of her sacrifice. It also plays as a vehicle into why Marlin maintains hope and is so protective of Nemo. To honor the sacrifice of his dead wife. Having her return cheapens that whole aspect of his story. I also think it's a better play if Marlin doesn't find a new love interest. Broken families exist, and some people don't need a significant other to find happiness.

Not that they couldn't do any of that, in an industry where comic book movies reign, off-screen "deaths" can mean miraculous resurrections. I just think it's a poor choice in this instance, especially for a franchise like this which leans so hard into the consequences of it's choices.
Last edited by singerguy04 on Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

That’s like having Bambi’s mother reappearing after having only been grazed by that bullet. 🤦🏻‍♂️
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

carolinakid wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:37 am That’s like having Bambi’s mother reappearing after having only been grazed by that bullet. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Except we know she died because we heard the gunshot. We never saw Coral scream in mortal agony or anything else to imply she died.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I know, D23, I was just imagining them now saying the gunshot wound wasn’t fatal as originally thought. I don’t know where she might have been... perhaps a kind hunter or camper nursed her back to health. I’m just including her in the “nobody has to stay dead” category.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

singerguy04 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:53 amI also think it's a better play is Marlin doesn't find a new love interest. Broken families exist, and some people don't need a significant other so find happiness.
Sure, but what would Marlin's arc be this time around? I think having him feel the need for romantic companionship while at the same time showing him feel conflicted or even feeling guilty about betraying the memory of his wife and ultimately learning to open himself up to a new love would be a good way to give his character emotional weight and purpose.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

It could be that after some struggling, Marlin realizes that he's happy with the family he's got. That he doesn't need to inflict change, other than being open himself and sharing his feelings at the end. That even though Nemo and Dory aren't
"normal", that's ok! Also, the notion of accepting people for who they are is a running theme in the franchise.

It's another trope, but imo the whole "lets give him a girlfriend" one doesn't sit right.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

singerguy04 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:49 pmIt could be that after some struggling, Marlin realizes that he's happy with the family he's got. That he doesn't need to inflict change, other than being open himself and sharing his feelings at the end. That even though Nemo and Dory aren't "normal", that's ok!
That doesn't really count as character development in this case. He's already happy with the family that he's got. Nothing new there. Your idea seems pretty passive and uneventful to work, especially for an animated film. Something like that is more suited for a live-action indie movie. In any case, I get where you're coming from and respect your position.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

For me, Finding Hank is what I'd be most interested in. They can retire Marlin and Nemo (or keep the background at least) as far as I'm concerned, those two always annoyed me. Dory was the selling point of the first film and the sequel is better off for her having a bigger spotlight, and Hank is probably my favorite character either film has introduced besides Dory (the turtle from the first film is the next best). Less Marlin is better.

They actually did manage to make the character a little funny in Finding Dory though, I'll admit--the part with him being flown around by the bird was hilarious. And I really loved the ending with him following Dory and then the two of them looking down on the reef.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney’s New Balance of Power Raises Succession, Spinoff Questions
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235325908/
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Finding Destiny could work as a 3rd part
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

REINIER wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:29 am Finding Destiny could work as a 3rd part
I actually kind of giggled at that, because it would actually work well. Being that she has poor eyesight, it makes sense she'd get lost. That mixed with her name, the characters could be finding their own "destiny" while looking for her.

In the end though, I think I would be as excited for another Finding Nemo as I am about another Toy Story... not at all. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I'm more interested in something new.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney U.K. Posts Losses of Almost $300 Million But Gross Revenue Is Up
https://variety.com/2023/biz/global/dis ... 235542179/