Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney/ABC to offer some shows online for free!

Post by blackcauldron85 »

(This is the best fit for an existing thread I could find; I spent a long time looking; "TV" is too short to search!)

Disney Explores the Sale of More Films and TV Series to Rivals
by Thomas Buckley & Lucas Shaw
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -to-rivals

(via https://wdwnt.com/?p=865358)

(It's behind a paywall, so here're the highlights from the Google Cache of the article):
...exploring more licensing of its films and television series to rival media outlets as pressure grows to curb the losses in its streaming TV business...seeking to earn more cash from its content library...Disney is under pressure to improve its financial performance and change its streaming strategy...Last year, the company turned in its worst stock market results in decades...reported a $1.5 billion loss for its online video business in the third quarter...Disney already licenses some titles to other platforms including Amazon.com Inc.’s Prime streaming service...Disney curtailed licensing of its own programs to third parties to boost [Disney+]...[keeping Disney media just for D+] Disney surrendered billions of dollars from home video sales and licensing deals with other networks...investors have raised concerns about how much money companies like Disney are spending on unprofitable streaming services...[Warner Bros Discovery Inc. has also been taking media off HBO Max and selling to other streamers {Roku, Tubi}]...Disney executives have discussed selling more titles to third parties and are in the process of shopping certain titles right now. It remains to be seen if they keep them in-house at Hulu or they sell them to an outside bidder.
Sotiris

Re: Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

Post by Sotiris »

Most pirated movies of 2022 according to the research firm Muso.
Top 10 Most Pirated Movies 2022

01. Spider-Man: No Way Home
02. The Batman
03. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
04. Thor: Love and Thunder
05. Black Adam
06. Uncharted
07. Eternals
08. Top Gun: Maverick
09. Jurassic World: Dominion
10. Encanto
Source: https://variety.com/2023/film/news/the- ... 235512387/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:33 amDisney executives have discussed selling more titles to third parties and are in the process of shopping certain titles right now. It remains to be seen if they keep them in-house at Hulu or they sell them to an outside bidder.
That's incredibly short-sighted of them. It took them so long to get rights back to various titles from Netflix and other platforms and now they're willing to sell out their library again just for a quick buck? They should be thinking of the future of Disney Plus and how important it is to keep it growing not just with new content, but with their legacy content as well. Disney's vast library is one of its biggest draws, especially compared to other streaming services, and they aren't taking full advantage of that. Many people just subscribe to Disney+ for easy access to Disney's library; they don't care about the new content. Disney should not be neglecting those customers.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Sotiris wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:23 am
blackcauldron85 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:33 amDisney executives have discussed selling more titles to third parties and are in the process of shopping certain titles right now. It remains to be seen if they keep them in-house at Hulu or they sell them to an outside bidder.
That's incredibly short-sighted of them. It took them so long to get rights back to various titles from Netflix and other platforms and now they're willing to sell out their library again just for a quick buck? They should be thinking of the future of Disney Plus and how important it is to keep it growing not just with new content, but with their legacy content as well. Disney's vast library is one of its biggest draws, especially compared to other streaming services, and they aren't taking full advantage of that. Many people just subscribe to Disney+ for easy access to Disney's library; they don't care about the new content. Disney should not be neglecting those customers.
We should approach this situation with patience and wait to see WHAT they plan to sell. I don't think any of the classic library or new content are at risk. It's really things like ABC/FX/20th Century shows and movies that might be at risk, unless 20th Century Studios' Rosaline does well for its 5-day run on US Disney+ starting on Friday. Besides it is something they're only discussing doing, it might not be something they actually do.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

If they're looking to sell the rights to anything for streaming, I hope it's more of Fox's legacy movies. Some of the greatest films in their library, like The Grapes of Wrath and All About Eve, aren't available to stream anywhere. I understand them not being very Disney+ friendly, but you'd think that there would be room for movies like these on Hulu.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney+ Drops 2.4 Million Subscribers in First Loss, Bob Iger Heralds ‘Significant Transformation’ Underway
https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/disne ... 235517007/
blackcauldron85

Interesting that India's Hotstar is what dropped subscribers so much; US and Canada gained subscribers.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:02 pm Interesting that India's Hotstar is what dropped subscribers so much; US and Canada gained subscribers.
It's not surprising to me. The Hotstar app is crap.
blackcauldron85

Farerb posted this article in the Bob Iger thread:
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/disn ... 235517437/
Iger also suggested that Disney had spent too much money on advertising as it looked to grow its base of streaming viewers and that it might need to hike the cost of signing up to see the latest streaming Marvel show or Star Wars spinoff. “Are we pricing correctly?” he mused. That’s certainly what investors want to see and hear.
How much is Disney+ worth? I don't watch much TV so if it increases in cost too much, unless hubby wants to keep it always, I'll just get it occasionally for event D+ movies like Disenchanted or for The Mandalorian, etc.... I think for people without the DVD/Blu-ray collections that we have, D+ is probably an even better value.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:30 am Farerb posted this article in the Bob Iger thread:
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/disn ... 235517437/
Iger also suggested that Disney had spent too much money on advertising as it looked to grow its base of streaming viewers and that it might need to hike the cost of signing up to see the latest streaming Marvel show or Star Wars spinoff. “Are we pricing correctly?” he mused. That’s certainly what investors want to see and hear.
How much is Disney+ worth? I don't watch much TV so if it increases in cost too much, unless hubby wants to keep it always, I'll just get it occasionally for event D+ movies like Disenchanted or for The Mandalorian, etc.... I think for people without the DVD/Blu-ray collections that we have, D+ is probably an even better value.
The Mandalorian is a series, not a movie, though.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

You know, there's something to wonder...

Bob Iger recently said selling Disney's 66% share in Hulu is on the table.'

And this comes days after Disney announces 20th Century Studios' Rosaline will be on Disney+ from Friday til Wednesday.

Could this be a test to see if, maybe Disney realizes that with parental controls and mature content now on Disney+, they might put all the general entertainment and mature content from Hulu on US Disney+ in the future, like say maybe the Predator movie Prey or the next Alien movie Romulus along with the upcoming Alien series for FX on Hulu?

It's not impossible. But I think it all depends on if Rosaline turns out to be a hit for Disney+ in its 5-day debut. Let's hope it works out. It's gonna depend on all of us to make this happen so we can continue getting more legacy/classic and new/original/upcoming mature R-rated/TV-MA-rated movies and series on US Disney+ in the future.

So, starting tomorrow, let's get to work.
blackcauldron85

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote:The Mandalorian is a series, not a movie, though.
I know- I'm a big Mandalorian fan. Let me repunctuate my previous statement:
I'll just get it occasionally for event D+ movies (like Disenchanted), or for The Mandalorian, etc.
:D (I just meant if it raises in price too much I'll buy it for the big stuff (oh, and HSMTMTS which I love).

I wonder how parents have been doing with the parental controls, if it's keeping the kiddos from seeing the R/MA stuff.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:29 am I know- I'm a big Mandalorian fan. Let me repunctuate my previous statement:
I'll just get it occasionally for event D+ movies (like Disenchanted), or for The Mandalorian, etc.
:D (I just meant if it raises in price too much I'll buy it for the big stuff (oh, and HSMTMTS which I love).

I wonder how parents have been doing with the parental controls, if it's keeping the kiddos from seeing the R/MA stuff.
My subscription ends in June and I plan to do the same. I'll get a new subscription for Tiana, Moana or for whatever new documentary about Disney's history or behind the scenes documentary like Into the Unknown. Otherwise I don't really use it anymore...
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:59 am
blackcauldron85 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:29 am I know- I'm a big Mandalorian fan. Let me repunctuate my previous statement:

My subscription ends in June and I plan to do the same. I'll get a new subscription for Tiana, Moana or for whatever new documentary about Disney's history or behind the scenes documentary like Into the Unknown. Otherwise I don't really use it anymore...
Don't you think you should keep Disney+ going into the fall for Pixar and Disney Animation's two new original Disney+ series like Win Or Lose and Iwaju.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Those projects should still be there when they do go back. It's not anyone place to tell people where/when/how to spend their money. They're just saying they'll come back for the projects they're most excited about. Then they can get caught up with the rest.

I personally don't mind keeping Disney+, because it's the streaming app I use the most. I do treat other apps that way though, why keep paying month to month when they don't continually maintain the content I consume. I'll come back when they do, or if it's a series I'll come back when all episodes are available so I can get caught up then de-sub and come back a year later.
blackcauldron85

I haven't decided yet if I will keep it long term or just occasionally... depends on the price increases. (I've had it the whole time since November 2019, even if I don't watch it much some months.)
But yes, I'm excited for Win or Lose + Iwaju. And singerguy04 made a good point, being that one strategy could be waiting until all episodes of a show have come out (getting your $ worth).
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

(Feel free to move this post to the appropriate place if it is necessary.)

ESPN, in the latest bit of cross-promotion between Disney divisions, will simulcast the March 14th, 2023 NHL game between the Washington Capitals and the New York Rangers across ESPN+, Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney+--with the second ESPN+ broadcast and the singular broadcast on Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney+ being designated the "NHL Big City Greens Classic."

This means that, utilizing the NHL's proprietary "NHL Edge" technology, the players and puck will be animated into the world of Big City Greens IN REAL TIME.

ESPN commentators will call the action, while voice cast members from Big City Greens will offer their own takes on what is happening. Further details on the "Big City Greens Classic" will be revealed closer to game time.

The game will be simulcast live March 14th, 2023 at 7:00 PM EST across Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney+ and ESPN+.

A teaser for the game accompanies the article linked below.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/espn-disne ... 235259694/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Let's hope Disney doesn't stoop to this.
The library content slim-down is probably not over yet; speculation is that Disney could be next. Just last week, CEO Bob Iger said Disney is targeting $5.5 billion in cost savings, including $3 billion in non-sports related content. It is unclear whether the $3 billion would involve removing library titles on Disney+ or Disney-controlled Hulu, but that’s considered a possibility.
Source: https://deadline.com/2023/02/the-stream ... 235256840/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:35 pm Let's hope Disney doesn't stoop to this.
The library content slim-down is probably not over yet; speculation is that Disney could be next. Just last week, CEO Bob Iger said Disney is targeting $5.5 billion in cost savings, including $3 billion in non-sports related content. It is unclear whether the $3 billion would involve removing library titles on Disney+ or Disney-controlled Hulu, but that’s considered a possibility.
Source: https://deadline.com/2023/02/the-stream ... 235256840/
My hope is that they remove the stuff of Fox from Disney-controlled Hulu and put it on US Disney+ (now that it has parental controls and is adding more mature content) to attract subscribers who are single adults that would want to watch Predator movies like Prey or the upcoming Alien series being worked on for FX on Hulu.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think selling the FOX titles would be a supremely dumb decision. I mean, why else did they buy all these IPs except for their use in streaming? Now, if they want to sell hulu, who cares. It and Netflix can fade away together. Disney doesn't need two services when they can easily put all their IPs on Disney+, just bar the adult-oriented stuff via parenting controls and so on.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"