Best Disney Hand Drawn Theatrical Film That Looks Like It Was Made For TV

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Which is Best?

The Aristocats
17%
Robin Hood
No votes
The Rescuers
17%
The Fox and the Hound
No votes
The Great Mouse Detective
50%
Oliver and Company
No votes
The Emperor's New Groove
No votes
Lilo and Stitch
17%
Brother Bear
No votes
Home on the Range
No votes

Total votes: 6

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Best Disney Hand Drawn Theatrical Film That Looks Like It Was Made For TV

Post by Farerb »

Which is the best Disney hand drawn theatrical film that looks like it was made for TV?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Best Disney Hand Drawn Theatrical Film That Looks Like It Was Made For TV

Post by Sotiris »

Well, none of them look like they were made for TV. The feature quality is present in all of them.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:10 am Well, none of them look like they were made for TV. The feature quality is present in all of them.
Mostly agreed, but I chose The Great Mouse Detective because the animation seems off at times. (The strict budget shows.) That is not to say it doesn't have its own share of lovely animation; it's just that you notice the inconsistencies, some occasional clumsiness, and certain shots do have a TV-like vibe about them. :-P

The preceding film, The Black Cauldron, looks absolutely opulent in comparison. That film is criticised for its animation as well, but I think it's for the animators' lacking experience in their character animation, not production sloppiness.

Edit: Dammit! I voted for the movie that most looks like it was made for TV, not the best one. :lol:
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I also chose The Great Mouse Detective. I remember seeing it in the theater in 1986 and thinking how much better Disney animation used to look. Except for the Basil v Ratigan showdown in Big Ben, I was underwhelmed with the entire film. I remember thinking the songs were unmemorable; little did I know the worst was yet to come...

SUGAR! I too misread the subject and chose the WORST, not the BEST, imo.

The best to me would be The Aristocats. I love everything about it! Duchess and the kittens and Madame Adelaide Bonfamille are some of my favorite characters.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Best in what sense? As far as "looking" the best? Well, I feel like the animation still looks undeniably strong in The Aristocats, Robin Hood, The Rescuers, TENG, L&S, BB, and HOTR, even if some of the designs or colors aren't my cup of tea. I'd say L&S is the one with the best-looking animation of these for sure, it has a very sleek look. The weakest looking one is one of the '70s/80s movies, probably TF&TH. Both TF&TH and O&C have a problem simulating the way real animals walk--compare them to Dalmatians, for example. The reason that film's animation is so incredible is how well they simulate real life / movements (while never coming off rotoscoped either?).

But if you're asking which ones I simply enjoy the most, I'd say TF&TH, TGMD, TENG, and L&S. Might be a cultural thing, but I enjoy TF&TH a great deal despite a few flaws (Vixey being the worst, UGH). I love Basil, which probably is what saves TGMD for me. TENG is pretty funny and Yzma/Kronk are always entertaining at least. I used to hate L&S--other than Nani, always loved that character*--but I thawed on it about 2-3 years ago. I've always been one of the few who don't completely hate HOTR--I like several of the characters (not Roseanne's though, ew), some of the songs, and I actually really like the aesthetic of that film, suits the Western locale to me. Brother Bear, on the other hand, I've never come around to that one. I do find the elk kind of funny (an acquired taste, I guess) as well as the shamaness, but wouldn't endure the rest of the film just for that. The Aristocats is dull and very annoying at times--the geese, OMG--but Duchess and O'Malley are so cute. I feel like Bianca and Bernard from The Rescuers go for a similar vibe (elegant woman / average joe kind of dynamic), unfortunately Bianca comes off somewhat condescending at times.

* You know, the situation there is sort of the same way I feel about Tadashi and Hiro from Big Hero 6, ie I loved Tadashi but found Hiro to be an insufferable brat much like Lilo (but not as bad, of course).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I will echo what others have said here: I don't think these films look like they were made for TV.

Some of them are even quite lush in their artistry. The only one that comes close (to me) is The Great Mouse Detective. The character designs and plot about replacing a Mouse Queen Victoria with a robot feel a little like a Saturday Morning Cartoon... kinda like Talespin or Ducktales.
And yes, the animation at times isn't great, but not even close to TV animation standards.

I voted for Lilo... I think it's a brilliant film. Zero TV material!