Cel vs CAPS

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Which method?

Cel
79%
CAPS
21%

Total votes: 14

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Cel vs CAPS

Post by Farerb »

Which Hand Drawn animation method do you prefer?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cel vs CAPS

Post by Sotiris »

Cel, obviously, but CAPS wasn't bad either. The ones they use now, mainly Toon Boom and TVPaint are undoubtedly worse than both.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Even growing up, I always thought the cel films looked better than the newer films, although I didn't understand why. I still don't really understand why really, it was sort of an unconscious thing for me. Why is there a difference in how the film looks between the systems anyway? I assumed the backgrounds are mostly created the same way they always have been (paintings), so why would simply filling in parts of a character give the film a different feeling than painting in the parts by hand instead? :?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Sotiris wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:52 am Cel, obviously, but CAPS wasn't bad either. The ones they use now, mainly Toon Boom and TVPaint are undoubtedly worse than both.
why obviously? for me, caps takes the win I think. I look at Aladdin, lion king, Tarzan,beauty and the beast, its cleaner. Why would I want to go back to cel? The hand drawings still shine through.

I agree that toon boom is worse though in general. as for tv paint, I don't know how many productions use that, my only exposure to that is from Aaron Blaise's independent post Disney work.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't know if it's Toon Boom that is worse or the way people use it because I personally think that The Princess and the Frog and even Winnie the Pooh look gorgeous.

Looking at Wolfwalkers' production and it seems that they used TVPaint and I thought the film looked good too (at least the forest parts, the town was purposefully designed as hideous).

So maybe there weren't many productions that showcased these softwares' abilities.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I don’t think ToonBoom is worse at all. It’s just that Disney has never used it to its full potential.