Does anyone go to Universal (Orlando)?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I rode Kali River and Bluto's Barge....I can say with all honesty and full experience of both they are NOT riding the same ride. Yes, the same type of boat is used...but that is as far as it goes. Kali disappointed me. You didn't get nearly wet enough and excitement was next to null. Bluto's Barge totally wins on this one.

Splash Mountain vs Dudley Do Right: In story, Splash Mountain owns. But in excitement and soaking wet fun, it pales in comparison to Dudley Do Right. That last drop of Dudley and then the "zip" they give you in the end to make sure every single skin cell on your body was soaken wet make it. The only drawback I find to Dudley is how the boats are made. They are made for speed and a through soaking, no one is missed...there is no middle, between people. The seats are also a tight squeeze. Large and/or tall people have trouble getting in them. Lastly Dudley's is not a good starter-water flume for kids. Kids want to hug and hold onto their parents when they are afraid, they can't do that on Dudley, like they can on Splash Mountain.

Jurassic Park, I agree, the ride could be better and more exciting. Most of the dinosaurs look pretty cool though and the t-rex at the end does own, but its not one of those "I gotta ride it every time I go"

And agree, Pteradon flyers are NOTHING like Dumbo. They are two person swings way up high that bring you around at a pretty good speed. Not good for clingy children or people afraid of heights, as the only thing appearing to hold you is two metal bars. Also for anyone going there and wants to ride them, ride them FIRST. The line always gets to be over 45 minutes long within the first 2 hours the park is open and the ride only about a minute....not worth the wait at all! For a Dumbo-like ride, go on One Fish, Two Fish, at IOA, you get wet on that one too.

Speaking of Disney ride clones...Storm Accelerator is the tea cups with fans and strobe lights. The little train in Dr. Suess is the People Mover (even more boring than People Mover though, not worth it at all). Cat in the Hat is Mr. Toad's Wild Ride-like.

On Disney being more magical than Universal...of course it is. That is the idea. Universal has always advertised itself as a "grown up's theme park". Most of the movie rides they feature now and in the past were based on PG and PG-13 films not geared towards kids...Jaws, King Kong, The Mummy, Beetlejuice, etc. Not everyone wants to have "a magical day". Universal is that option. Just like not everyone wants to ride coaster all day and would rather a more relaxing theme park, like Sea World. They are all geared to a main group and then subgroups...Universal is trying to hit more families now with IOA and rides like Shrek 4D and Jimmy Neutron, but still retains a lot of their original, more grown-up entertainment. Halloween is an example of this and shows just who Universal's main audience is...teens and adults. They have their Halloween Horror Nights, but for families looking for non-scary festivities, Disney (and SeaWorld) is the place to go. I've been to both Halloween events and enjoy them both thoroughly. But I can't take my daughter to Universal for Halloween...unless I want to pay for lifelong therapy.

Speaking of holidays....Disney owns Christmas. I've been to Grinchmas to IOA and Macy's Christmas Parade at Universal. The parade was fun and cute. But Disney's Christmas Parade pwns it. Grinchmas however, was a lot of fun, still not as fun as Disney's Christmas, but fun all the same. The Grinch they have is the movie quality one, a man in make-up similar to Jim Carrey in the live action film and he does an awesome impression of him as the Grinch. Great great entertaining stuff....at one point he asked my niece, "What is that look on your face? Are you constipated? You look like you need to poop.", I gave him a weird look and laughed and he said, "Look mom, this ain't Disney World." :lol: I about died laughing.

Disney will ALWAYS be magical and there is nothing wrong with that. Some people just don't want magical. They want more excitement and adult-geared stuff like Beetlejuice's 10 year old jokes :P
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Siren wrote: Kali disappointed me. You didn't get nearly wet enough and excitement was next to null.
Maybe for you. I had an experience once on KRR that completely refutes that statement. :tink:
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

pinkrenata wrote:
Siren wrote: Kali disappointed me. You didn't get nearly wet enough and excitement was next to null.
Maybe for you. I had an experience once on KRR that completely refutes that statement. :tink:
I've rode it nearly 10 times and its been fun, but compared to Bluto...blah. I kept riding it to cool down and I'd get wetter at the drinking water fountain. Bluto on the other hand, I walk off there and am soaked to the bone every time.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I have never been to Universal Studios and I do not think I would ever want to. I would have loved to ride Back to the Future: The Ride when it was still there, though.

That comparison chart was just pathetic. It was almost like they were bashing Disney.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Sorry for bringing this back to life, but I find it very funny how people can be so in love with something that the idea of liking something else is surreal and almost a sin.

I am a HUGE Nintendo fan and the Wii is my main console this generation. Yet, that doesn't stop me from owning a 360 and I plan on buying a Playstation 3 and a PSP soon.

I think its silly that brand loyalty can be so strong that it prevents you from trying something else out. It limits your enjoyment since you never know if you might discover something even better than what you already have.

I love Disney, but I love and respect the other companies and will even love their efforts if they manage to be great.

Going back to the topic I've never been to any of the big parks. Disney World, Universal, Sea World, Bush Gardens, Six Flags...none of them. Too poor to afford them. :(
ImageImageImageImage

goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I had an annual pass in 2007 when I lived in Orlando. I find Universal's theme parks to be fun and entertaining in small doses, which is why I would go about twice a month and not stay longer than 3 hours. My friends and I also enjoy pointing out what they do wrong or things that Disney would never do, but it's all in good fun. I will get an annual pass again when I move down here full time in January 2010 (I'm here just for the summer).

However, I very much dislike Sea World as a park. I had an annual there too because I bought it before going in. I went twice and have no desire to go back, even though they have a new ride.

I used to get season passes for Six Flags because there was a park 30 minutes from my house in Wisconsin, but as I got older, I realized how awful that park is (and all others that I've been to) and I don't have any desire to go back. Yes, they have large roller coasters that Disney doesn't do, but Universal has The Hulk and the new one opening this fall. And when I'm in a coaster mood, I tend to go to my favorite roller coaster, Rock N' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith.

I am first and foremost a Disney fan and I adore Disney Parks, so I go to a park about 3 or 4 times a week for a few hours.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

A Lord of the Rings park? Spongebob? Avatar? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Twlight? (I'd definitely pay to see that...but I have connections so technically I should be able to get in for free)

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/ ... epcot.html
(via disneyreport.com)
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

I've been there only once (I think i got a Sauron Helmet there) it wasn't as fun as WDW, but it was pretty cool! It would be interesting to go there again and check out some of the Harry Potter stuff, although im disappointed that they got rid of Dueling Dragons. :oops:
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Most of the time they haven't even obtained the rights to the properties listed on those surveys. I know at one point Disney was set to add The Lord of the Rings to The Great Movie Ride but a last minute dispute with the Tolkien estate ended that.

As for SpongeBob, it won't happen. They already have the character in the Nicktoon's Blast attraction and his appeal is fading fast. He over-saturated the theme park market the day Paramount Parks dissolved and licensed the SpongBob 3D ride to every Six Flags and shopping mall out there.

Then again, they dropped Back to the Future (claiming it was too old) in favor of The Simpsons (celebrating 20 years at that point). So it wouldn't be the first time they picked up a dying property.
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

jpanimation wrote: I know at one point Disney was set to add The Lord of the Rings to The Great Movie Ride but a last minute dispute with the Tolkien estate ended that.
Your kidding :o That would have been cool! I've always been saying "I would love to see LOTR on the Great Movie Ride!" :cry:

Sorry if that's off topic.. :(
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I just got back and I have to say that I was very, very impressed with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It was amazing.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

We'll be at Universal Orlando from 10/10-10/17 with 10/16 spent at Epcot for Gay Day at the Food & Wine Festival. We;re staying at the Portofino Bay. I haven't been to UO since 2005 and my boyfriend's NEVER been, so we're pumped. There's no ride we won't do! My favorites are The Incredible Hulk, Spiderman, The Mummy and Dueling Dragons (now rethemed to Harry Potter, which I'm anxious to experience!)
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Does anyone go to Universal (Orlando)?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Universal Parks & Resorts Announces New Family-Focused Theme Park Coming to Texas
https://wdwnt.com/?p=846925

Universal Parks & Resorts Planning Year-Round Horror Destination in Las Vegas
https://wdwnt.com/?p=846932