Don Bluth News & Discussion

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: The Don Bluth thread. Film fav? Etc.....

Post by Farerb »

Considering that Don Bluth was their biggest rival in the 80's, I'd say that they wouldn't have done Beauty and the Beast so shortly after an animated film is released. They might have done that at a later date but that would have been a completely different film.

I know that M&C had the option to do Swan Lake after The Little Mermaid but they turned it down for Aladdin and I think Disney never revisited Swan Lake because of The Swan Princess.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Redadoodles wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47KxNdIR6z4&t=2s

His stuff for Piper and East Of The Sun and West Of The Moon are just as beautiful.
It's crazy that that's your video, because I recently had stumbled upon it, not knowing that it was yours! You have some great stuff on your channel.

Yes, there is SO much artwork for his abandoned projects. Going through this thread, I can't believe that I didn't post it a few months ago when I discovered it:

It's a treasure trove of Bluth!

The Don Bluth Collection of Animation @ the Savannah College of Art and Design
https://scad.libguides.com/donbluthcollection
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

farerb wrote:Considering that Don Bluth was their biggest rival in the 80's, I'd say that they wouldn't have done Beauty and the Beast so shortly after an animated film is released. They might have done that at a later date but that would have been a completely different film.

I know that M&C had the option to do Swan Lake after The Little Mermaid but they turned it down for Aladdin and I think Disney never revisited Swan Lake because of The Swan Princess.

Richard Rich actively pitched Swan Lake for Disney but they turned him down. Same goes for Jeffrey Katzenberg and The Prince Of Egypt but he was also turned down by Eisner.
blackcauldron85 wrote:
Redadoodles wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47KxNdIR6z4&t=2s

His stuff for Piper and East Of The Sun and West Of The Moon are just as beautiful.
It's crazy that that's your video, because I recently had stumbled upon it, not knowing that it was yours! You have some great stuff on your channel.
Thank you so much. :)
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Isn't it ironic that when Bluth left Disney, he became their enemy (they made sure their own movies were as close to the release date as the Bluth movies), but now after Fox became a part of Disney, two of Bluth's movies, Anastasia and Titan A.E., actually belongs to Disney?
blackcauldron85

^ Yes! I just wonder how Disney is going to treat them. Hopefully they come to Disney+ soon... I wonder if Disney had a game plan for how to promote their newly-acquired Fox animated films (including the Blue Sky films). Like, are they allowed to put them in the theme parks? (I know that other parks use the Snoopy characters, for example.) (For some reason I was thinking that Disney now owned Thumbelina; I knew that the only 2 Bluth Fox films were Anastasia & Titan A.E., so I'm not sure what I was thinking of with Thumbelina...Wikipedia says that's a WB film.)
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Or if they are going to re-release them on DVD/Blu-Ray, but this time a Disney signature. For the moment the Ice Age films still seems the most popular Blue Sky movies, so if they are going to add some of the Fox movies in their theme parks, this would be the most likely ones. Because of the virus and the shot down of many parks, maybe that want an extra attraction when they open again.
Maybe Thumbelina just feels like a Fox movie?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thumbelina was made by Warner but it's actually owned by 20th Century, meaning it now belongs to Disney. Ferngully is owned by Disney now as well so Disney basically owns most of its 90's knock offs. Though I don't think Disney holds them in high regard, I know they have cult following but I don't think the general public cares about them. Same with the Blue Sky films. The Ice Age were popular back then but I don't think they are right now.
blackcauldron85

I wonder if Disney world ever make mini-Fox lands in the parks, or if that would just confuse the public. Did Disney have plans for Fox animated films?! Or Iger was just after the live-action franchises?

That's a good question, if there are new physical releases, what will the branding be. And thank you for clarifying on Thumbelina- I thought I had heard something!!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney released Spies in Disguise under the 20th Century banner so I don't think they plan to change labels.
blackcauldron85

Yup, good point, never mind! :p

I just wish I understood their goal with the animation they acquired. Lining their own pockets instead of another company's, sure, but I want to know more...
Sotiris

Re: Don Bluth News & Discussion

Post by Sotiris »

Don Bluth's Autobiography Is Now Available for Pre-Order Online
https://www.traditionalanimation.com/20 ... er-online/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Ranking the Don Bluth Films

Post by Redadoodles »

I was not sure where to post this but here it is. :)
Visual development for the heroine and the evil witch from Don Bluth’s cancelled version of Rapunzel (1992).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

What a great discovery! I didn't even know Bluth was developing a Rapunzel movie in the early '90s. I only knew of the Scissor Sisters music video. Where did you find these drawings? Do you have any other information regarding this project?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Actually I have known about this project for more than a decade but I just assumed that the whole world knew about it so I never really mentioned it Haha.

I am slowly preparing something revolving around lost/cancelled animated films so I’ve been going through some old files and interviews of mine and I found these.

This version of Rapunzel was supposed to be faithful to the original fairy tale and scheduled to come out after Thumbelina. However, the film was quickly scrapped after the failures of Bluth’s films at the time and his move to Fox.

Stay tuned! 🤓