Hercules (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Hercules (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

So, they're trying to do an experimental musical that appeals to TikTok users? What does that even mean? This is going to be an unwatchable mess, isn't it? :facepalm:
Whereas many of Disney’s recent live-action remakes have been faulted for sticking too closely to the source material, Russo says “Hercules” will be “a little bit more experimental in tone, a little bit more experimental in execution.” “I think they’re excited to see what we can all bring to it in a way that isn’t just a reinterpretation of the animated film,” Russo adds. Ritchie is currently working on his own pass of the screenplay from David Callaham (“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings”). “Guy is perfect for it because he has penchant for experimentation,” Russo says.

Russo says the live-action “Hercules” will also be a musical — and share the original’s unconventional approach. “There are questions about how you translate it as a musical,” Russo says. “Audiences today have been trained by TikTok, right? What is their expectation of what that musical looks like and feels like? That can be a lot of fun and help us push the boundaries a little bit on how you execute a modern musical.”
Source: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/herc ... 235421454/
If that weren’t enough, AGBO is also the rare company to partner with Disney, producing two projects for the studio: the animated feature film “Fudge,” based on the Judy Blume books, for Disney+, and a live-action adaptation of “Hercules” with director Guy Ritchie that, yes, will be a musical. “I think the sky’s the limit with us,” says Russo-Otstot. “We always think we’ll get to the place where we cry uncle, but we don’t.”
Source: https://variety.com/2022/film/features/ ... 235419678/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

Yes, this reads a lot like
Step 1: Throw stuff at the wall
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Profit

And it'll probably work.
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

YEEESSS! It's going to be a musical! :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: I'll try to be lenient with some changes as long as the Muses and particularly "Zero to Hero" and "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" aren't cut. Those are my conditions. :P <3 (I'm just assuming here that they would never think of cutting Hades, Hercules, and Megara in the first place, but just in case--those are also my conditions. :lol: )
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I didn't have "tik tok" on my "how can present Disney continue to prove to be creatively bankrupt" bingo card
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

My interpretation is shortened versions of the songs? I'm old, is there a time limit on Tik Tok videos? Like short videos?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I don’t understand the appeal of tik tok so I’m sure this woke remake isn’t for me. I’m also not a Guy Ritchie fan.
Disney's Divinity

I don't use TikTok, so I couldn't say. I remember people related the music in Encanto to TikTok, didn't they? Or WDTAB blew up on TikTok or something?

I could be wrong, but my assumption is mostly how to stage the musical numbers. As in, moving from one stage to another very quickly, etc. rather than the song being static in one environment for the entire duration? That would work with most of the songs, tbh... I mean, "The Gospel Truth" is constantly flashing back and forth from one piece of plot to another, one environment to another. "Zero to Hero" is one long flash of events that's happened. And of course all the songs continually jump back to the Muses doing different things, dancing, and so on. "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" in particular relies on the Muses' antics in the background to sort of "stage" the song since it's really just Megara standing around among statues. I mean, several of the songs in Encanto are like that, particular We Don't Talk About Bruno which flashes from one family member to the next to the next to the next, etc.

I could totally imagine Lizzo as Thalia twerking in the background behind Meg, only just barely returning to position before Meg turns around to look at them. :lol: That would be hilarious. As long as the music is guaranteed, I'm happy, since I think Guy Ritchie's frenetic energy would suit Hercules very well. Naturally they could create new designs for the Hydra or Titans, or some other new creature that Hercules fights. I just know he had wanted the Aladdin remake not to have music and Disney had to put their foot down, that was my main concern here and we've passed it, thankfully.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I guess now we know why Menken isn't involved with this.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Alan Menken was asked about the Russos' comments that the musical numbers would be inspired by TikTok by a Spanish news site in an interview about Disenchanted. Here's what he said (here's also a video):
“I can't explain anything. People just say things and then I spend my time going: ‘Why did you say that?’” Menken laughs about it, also blaming social networks for the excessive travel of the statement, “I really don't know what that means and I'm not taking it that seriously.” Even so, he is open to new alternatives for the film: “I am open to anything that will make it jump to a live-action medium in the most effective way possible.”
Source: https://www.ecartelera.com/noticias/ent ... man-71212/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That means he hasn't been contacted about the project yet. I really hope they bring him on board. Maybe then he'll be able to push back against the desecration of his work.
Disney's Divinity

That doesn't say to me he hasn't been contacted? Him saying he hasn't been contacted is what would say that to me. I don't think he'd comment if he wasn't involved in some way, he tends to shy away from starting "drama." That said, even if does end up not being involved, I'll be grateful that the soundtrack is still there at all (and at least they will have to pay him a check regardless of whether they involve him or not).
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:31 pm That means he hasn't been contacted about the project yet. I really hope they bring him on board. Maybe then he'll be able to push back against the desecration of his work.
It sounds like he tried to be polite and not throw them under the bus. If he was actually involved, he would have answered what his plans for this are.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:31 pm That means he hasn't been contacted about the project yet. I really hope they bring him on board. Maybe then he'll be able to push back against the desecration of his work.
If this were Sondheim people would be on the barricades to defend and protect his work, but for some reason whatever Menken produced for Disney is seen as fair game to turn into junk. It’s nauseating.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Well, they never said they are using the original songs, they might bring in some TikTok star to write new songs.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Alan Menken mentioned the movie when he was asked about his upcoming projects in the latest episode of the "For Scores" podcast:
There's all kinds of talk, and it's been for quite a while, about a Hercules live action. That's still in very nascent stages and we're all trying to figure out where that's going.
Source: https://www.ivoox.com/alan-menken-disen ... 349_1.html
Disney's Divinity

I figured he would be involved unless he came out and said otherwise. If The Little Mermaid still has a whole 'nother year to come out, this has a long while ahead of it. I'm so glad it's going to have the songs!!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Guy Ritchie Says Live Action ‘Hercules’ Could be Done "Within the Next Year"
https://collider.com/hercules-live-acti ... -comments/

Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:39 am I'm so glad it's going to have the songs!!
I'm glad about that too. Mainly because we'll probably get some new songs by Alan Menken, but I agree with what you said that this film wouldn't feel like a remake of the animated movie if not for the songs and the humor, since there are already so many adaptations of the story of Hercules.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Live-Action Hercules TikTok Inspiration Clarified By Disney Producer
https://screenrant.com/hercules-live-ac ... -comments/ (via Disney Live-Actions Brasil)
Russo previously noted that Hercules would take inspiration from TikTok, which led to theories about what the upcoming film might look like. In a recent interview with Radio Times, the producer further explained his comments, adding that there have been changes to the way content is absorbed and using the success of 2022's Matilda the Musical as an example of how to appeal to audiences. Read Russo's comments regarding the live-action Hercules below:

"We live in a world where most of your audience under 30 is now informed by their social media habits and it changes the way that they consume content and information and storytelling. As the storyteller, you have to be aware of changing habits... I think Matilda was a great example of a movie that, because of TikTok, it became a bit of a sensation with an under-30 audience... I think that’s part of the fun of telling global stories, when people all over the world are suddenly mimicking a dance from a clip from your movie and I got as much enjoyment as anybody out of watching those Matilda clips and that’s what I was speaking to – this idea of understanding what world you live in and how people are communicating and what it is that excites them about new stories."
Disney's Divinity

I can definitely see them creating those kinds of viral TikTok moments if the Muses were part of the film. Imagine Lizzo twerking as Thalia in the background while Megara is singing in the foreground, that would be hilarious.

Either way, at least if they're looking at the film version of the Matilda musical as inspiration, that hopefully means the music will be included here. It would be pointless without it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Rumor: Danny DeVito Circling Live-Action ‘Hercules’ Role
https://thedisinsider.com/2023/08/15/ru ... ules-role/