Aladdin 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Aladdin 2

Post by Kyle »

Too soon to say what the aftermath of all this will be. He'll most likely get away with little to nothing being done about it though.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Netflix Backs Away from Will Smith Film ‘Fast and Loose’ (Exclusive)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235123901/

Bad Boys 4 Reportedly Paused Following Will Smith Oscars Slap Incident
https://screenrant.com/bad-boys-4-updat ... cars-slap/
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Kyle wrote:Too soon to say what the aftermath of all this will be. He'll most likely get away with little to nothing being done about it though.
I agree. I think especially in this case, it's not coming out until a long time after this has passed, so...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I didn't think about it until just now, but I should've been worried that Will Smith being a dipstick at the Oscars might've affected this movie. Thus far though, looks like not much has happened out of the controversy... I still don't like him, but I doubt he's going to be radioactive enough that Disney would drop him. Still, kind of annoying when they won't allow Johnny Depp to return for POTC6 as planned when accusations against him turned out not to be what was claimed. Meanwhile, we saw Will Smith assault someone on camera and probably not even a bubble. I'm not saying Will Smith should lose his job here or anything so much as Depp should have got his back by now.
I didn't realize this sequel could be affected by it either. Regarding the latter, I also think it's unfair some actors or other artists get bigger punishments than others for doing similar things.
Farerb wrote:Netflix Backs Away from Will Smith Film ‘Fast and Loose’ (Exclusive)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235123901/

Bad Boys 4 Reportedly Paused Following Will Smith Oscars Slap Incident
https://screenrant.com/bad-boys-4-updat ... cars-slap/
Wow, I didn't expect that to happen. What he did was wrong, but if he had apologized to Chris Rock immediately instead of trying to justify his actions at first, I think things wouldn't have gotten so bad for him. Anyway, I don't think he'll get cancelled forever either.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

What other artists are you talking about? I mean, yes, other people have done worse things, but the key here is it did it on the same stage, for all to witness, in a relatively short amount of time before winning an award.

And yeah, not only did he seem to try to justify it, I'm not convinced the apology to Chris the next day even came from him, it reeks of having his PR person do it. Wheres the on camera apology to him? Or at least word that he called Chris personally?
Disney's Divinity

^ D82 was responding to what I'd said comparing Depp and Smith.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Do you have any updates on the “Aladdin” sequel?

Mena Massoud: I don’t know that there is movement. There was a change with the writers, and they are working on a brand new draft. That’s all I know. If “Aladdin 2” happens, that’s fantastic. I think it should happen. Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich of Rideback Productions, who did the “Lego” movies and “Aladdin,” want to make sure they get this right. So if we do see “Aladdin 2,” it’s not going to be based off the animated version at all. This is going to be a brand new original story.
Source: https://variety.com/2022/film/features/ ... 235445814/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I'm beginning to get the feeling that this film's production is going to rest on Mufasa's success. I think if Mufasa does well we'll see this one get a lot more energy considering they kind of feel the same. Especially since they are both expected to stray from the source material. That formula didn't really seem to aide the Maleficent or Alice films.

I would really like to see Mena as Aladdin again. I thought he did a really good job with the character.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Director Guy Ritchie 'wouldn't have any issue' bringing Will Smith back for Aladdin 2
https://ew.com/movies/aladdin-director- ... ie-sequel/
"I've never met a more lovely man, and working with him was one of the most wonderful, great experiences I've ever had," Ritchie, who's also adapting Disney's Hercules, told The Hollywood Reporter at the Red Sea International Film Festival in Saudi Arabia. "I never saw anything other than the consummate, generous gentleman. I wouldn't have any issue casting Will Smith in anything, because, as I say, he was just the f---ing perfect gentleman."
Sotiris wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:22 am
Q: Do you have any updates on the “Aladdin” sequel?

Mena Massoud: I don’t know that there is movement. There was a change with the writers, and they are working on a brand new draft. That’s all I know. If “Aladdin 2” happens, that’s fantastic. I think it should happen. Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich of Rideback Productions, who did the “Lego” movies and “Aladdin,” want to make sure they get this right. So if we do see “Aladdin 2,” it’s not going to be based off the animated version at all. This is going to be a brand new original story.
Source: https://variety.com/2022/film/features/ ... 235445814/
I'm glad they're planning to make a brand new story.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Aladdin 2. What’s happening with that film? Is it in pre-production?

Guy Ritchie: I have no idea, honestly. I have no idea if Aladdin 2 is in pre-production.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/12/guy-ritchi ... 235188583/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

This film is never going to happen.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The first one made a billion dollars worldwide. There's no way Disney is going to let it remain a standalone film. It's just a matter of time. Maybe the Will Smith debacle or Dan Lin's busy schedule delayed things.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Will Smith to star as the Genie in Aladdin sequel in first role since Oscars slap
https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/7 ... ey-sequel/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm surprised Disney is the first studio to give him a chance after the scandal (if the article is right). Though, perhaps the fact that Emancipation, a film he had already shot before the incident, was well received paved the way for this.
Disney's Divinity

That incident wasn’t going to end his filmmaking career. It probably just ended any chance at awards for the rest of his life (but who knows about that even).
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I agree it wasn't going to end his career. I'm just surprised Disney is the first studio to hire him after the incident. Normally, they try to avoid controversy as much as they can. Anyway, I'm glad they did (if the article is right).
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

They won't be the first. He confirmed he's doing Bad Boys 4, which will probably come out before Aladdin 2.
Disney's Divinity

Mena Massoud tweeted something or other, which some are taking a sign this film is on the outs? A shame, if so, I would've liked to see all the actors together again in a sequel, they had good chemistry.

But I know there were several things to deal with--deciding on what the plot would be (avoiding any controversy in what new story / characters they go with), how they would deal with new songs (and how audiences would react if there were none), and then the Will Smith stuff. Of course, I didn't think the Smith thing would be enough to tank this by itself, it's probably a combination of factors, I suppose.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This is what he tweeted. It's very surprising Disney is not moving forward with a sequel. Then again Beauty and the Beast didn't get a sequel either and that was also a billion dolllar-grossing film.
Q: The 'Aladdin 2' live-action project is currently in pre-production and has an estimated arrival date of May 23, 2025.

Mena Massoud: Definitely not.
Source: https://twitter.com/MenaMassoud/status/ ... 6287893504
Q: We still getting Aladdin 2?

Mena Massoud: Very unlikely at this point.
Source: https://twitter.com/MenaMassoud/status/ ... 5171194881
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I wonder how Disney might feel differently if next year's Lion King prequel does decent box office.