Dreamworks Animation in Trouble

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Dreamworks Animation in Trouble

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm kind of hoping this does well despite looking/most likely being awful, if nothing else than to help out Dreamworks so the KFP franchise will last longer. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I know that the 2 weeks prior to its release Home was getting alot of promotion on Spanish network tv. I dont watch Spanish network shows but my mom does and they were talking alot about the film on talk shows, having interviews with J-Lo and special promotions and lots of commercals airing for the film. I read they heavily marketed it to hispanic and black households and I think that might have been a contributing factor to it opening well, that and also it was a great idea to open it during a soft month for animated films.

also can I just say that I know this move has gotten alot of flack and Im not a DW fan myself but from what Ive seen from the commercials this move doesnt look that awful. Im sure its not going to be HTTYD level good but it doesnt seem to be like the most offensive cgi film thats been put out in recent years(that would go to Nut Job or one of the Ice Age sequels.) I might give it a Netflix rental when it comes out to dvd.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Well, like most recent DreamWorks films, the CG and lighting is really top notch. I always felt like they were a step behind Pixar until a few years ago in that respect, but now they pretty much on the same level. The color palette is also interesting, and the general set design isn't bad either.

As for the film itself, it isn't particularly well-reviewed, even for a DreamWorks film, but I wouldn't mind catching it on BD eventually. I still can't get over the Sheldon/Rihanna voices though. But I've read a couple of reviews that the voicework is actually pretty good, so I guess I'll see....

Basically, though, I'm not gonna place my hopes on any of their new properties anymore. Currently, I'm just waiting for sequels to KFP, HTTYD, and The Croods.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

I got around to seeing Home, and I gotta say that I absolutely enjoyed it!

The film was missing that emotional punch that would've made it stronger. At the same time though, I don't regret watching it like I did with some of their Shrek-era films.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
kenai3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by kenai3000 »

Honestly Home looks like a rip off of Lilo & Stitch to me.
Disney is awesome, and was the biggest part of my childhood.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Rihanna's voice acting was one of the most distracting celebrity voices in a long time, especially because they used some of her damn songs for the sound track :| What an odd choice for a little girl character. And Jennifer Lopez as her mom :lol:

A pretty horrible and charmless film in general.
LADY Image CLUCK
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Chinese teaser for Kung Fu Panda 3 has been leaked and it looks pretty cool!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Sotiris wrote:The Chinese teaser for Kung Fu Panda 3 has been leaked and it looks pretty cool!
Yes, the visuals are quite gorgeous. This series has always been one of Dreamworks' strongest in terms of visuals (well, and storytelling for that matter), and they seem to be getting better and better in that regard.

The US teaser just dropped as well, and it's pretty funny.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DreamWorks changed their classy and elegant logo to something very kiddie and tacky. They also changed the silhouette of the boy to look gender-neutral and are now calling it the moon child instead of the moon boy. :roll:

DreamWorks Animation Unveils New Curtain Raiser, Introduces Reimagined “Moon Child”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235269225/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Overall the change doesn't really bother me. It just seems to scroll past their "greatest hits" not unlike how Marvel or DC does with theirs. I do agree it's less classy, but then again is that brand of class synonymous with Dreamworks Animation to begin with? :lol:

I also don't understand the point behind changing the moon boy, but then again I also don't understand why it matters in the first place... so I guess, you do you Dreamworks!