Treasure Planet Appreciation Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Treasure Planet Appreciation Thread

Post by Farerb »

"TREASURE PLANET" 20th Anniversary - Cast & Crew Interview - The Tammy Tuckey Show:

https://youtu.be/FYjbprdd1E8
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I watched Treasure Planet once on DVD and I didn’t hate it. I haven’t had the desire to watch it again but it’s in my collection.

In general, I don’t care for sci-fi/space movies. I have seen the 1950 Treasure Island several times, including once on the big screen during a rerelease.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

As someone who's lost his father, I can relate to Jim Hawkins. I LOVE this movie, it's my second favorite after The Little Mermaid. The animation is beautiful, the story is great and the relationship between Jim and Silver is the heart of the movie. Every time I see the "I'm Still Here" sequence, I tear up. :cry: Also at the end, when Jim lets Silver go. I'll admit, I'm not too fond of the Aliens characters, especially not that fart-thing-alien Mr. Snuff. That was just stupid. But overall, a great movie. I wish Disney would release it in 4K, that would be great!
Vote for YOUR favorite Disney movie here:
https://www.fanpop.com/clubs/walt-disne ... sics-movie
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

This movie came out when I was of the "I'm too cool for animated movies" age, but I do remember seeing a poster for it when I was tasked with the very grown-up task of taking my younger siblings to Lilo & Stitch. At the time I didn't understand the premise of this at all. I was a huge trekie growing up, and this whole sailing a ship through space thing seemed too illogical. I remember getting really stuck on wishing that they had actual space ships and that's why I avoided it for years. Then I finally sat down and watched it in college and was blown away. I think this film has some of the finest character development, specifically in Silver, than I've ever seen in a animated film. It's also a beautiful film that really utilized WDAS to it's full potential at the time. I recommend this movie every chance I get, and I have yet to meet anyone who really thought it was a complete waste of their time. I'm glad it's at least getting some attention for it's 20th Anniversary!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think Treasure Planet is visually very beautiful, too--most of the time. Of course, the one-off moments for me are the CGI whales that look awful and a lot of the ugly alien designs. But when it's just Jim and Silver, the film usually looks beautiful. Like singerguy, this came out at that age when my family had checked out of Disney films. I didn't dislike Disney films exactly, it was more a sort of peer pressure (coming from family, school, etc.) that made you feel dumb or bad for watching Disney movies. :lol: It wasn't until I was about 10th or 11th grade that I sort of got past those messages coming from the world and sort of owned what I like without caring what other people thought anymore.

Anyway, I remember not really looking forward to TP at all. The commercials made it look so awful. Then I ended up loving Jim. I wish the rest of the movie around Jim and Silver was better though. Space stuff has never really been my thing... The poster for this film has always been utterly gorgeous; too bad the commercials didn't advertise the movie the same way that poster did.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The History Of Treasure Planet, Disney Animation's Biggest Ever Flop
https://www.slashfilm.com/1072674/the-h ... ever-flop/

I agree that the growth of Jim + Silver is very satisfying.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

VanessaFan wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:44 amAs someone who's lost his father, I can relate to Jim Hawkins.
Oh, I`m so sorry about that, VanessaFan.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:46 pm Oh, I`m so sorry about that, VanessaFan.
Thank you, it happend back in 2008, so it's been years. But thank you again.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I lost my Dad in 2001 and my Mom in 2011.
Not a day goes by that I don’t miss them.
Holidays especially have never been the same.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

carolinakid wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:19 pm I lost my Dad in 2001 and my Mom in 2011.
I'm so sorry to hear that, carolinakid. :cry: I lost my mother in 2007 and my dad the year after. I never knew my mother, my father, sister and I moved when I was ½ years old, so I have no memories of her, but when my father died, it was tough. He was killed at his work. He got stuck in a machine, so it was awful.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

‘Treasure Planet’ at 20: Disney’s Failed Space Odyssey Deserved to Soar
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/28/movi ... isney.html
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

carolinakid wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:19 pm I lost my Dad in 2001 and my Mom in 2011.
Oh, I`m so sorry, Carolinakid.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Thank you, VanessaFan and Disneyfan09. You both are very kind. Happy New Year 2023!
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

VanessaFan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:27 pm
I'm so sorry to hear that, carolinakid. :cry: I lost my mother in 2007 and my dad the year after. I never knew my mother, my father, sister and I moved when I was ½ years old, so I have no memories of her, but when my father died, it was tough. He was killed at his work. He got stuck in a machine, so it was awful.
My condolences, especially from such a tragic and unfortunate accident from A machine of all things…… 😞😭😞😭😔😩
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Patricier21 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:56 am
My condolences, especially from such a tragic and unfortunate accident from A machine of all things…… 😞😭😞😭😔😩
Thank you, Patricier21. Yeah, it was awful and when I first was told the news, it didn't sink in. I just didn't believe it. It was such a shock.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Sitting here, working on Disney screencaps to my Disney Club on Fanpop and having the spanish version of Treasure Planet in the background on Disney+, the song 'I'm Still Here' comes on and I was just blown away by this singer's voice. Alex Ubago does the singing and it's so beautiful! The english version always moves me to tears, but this version..! WOW! I found a YouTube video with translation and again, WOW, just wow! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1KdbfGIu2k

I strongly urge you guys to give this version a listen! It's really beautiful!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

carolinakid wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:36 am Thank you, VanessaFan and Disneyfan09. You both are very kind.
Aaaaw, thank you :)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses, VanessaFan and carolinakid.

And sorry I hadn't said anything to you yet, VanessaFan. I've been meaning to, but finally hadn't until now. Like others have said, I'm very glad you're here! I read your post in the introductions thread and I really related to your story about the The Little Mermaid. It's my favorite Disney film as well, and like you, I'll the never forget the first time I saw it. I was totally mesmerized by it too. I've also seen your screencaps comparison of the various Little Mermaid home video releases, which I found very interesting, and your thread about Disney GIFS. My Internet connection is not too fast and the GIFS take a long time to load for me, but I've seen some of them and it's true that you can appreciate the animation and some other details better in slow motion. It's a great idea for a thread!
VanessaFan wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:00 pm Sitting here, working on Disney screencaps to my Disney Club on Fanpop and having the spanish version of Treasure Planet in the background on Disney+, the song 'I'm Still Here' comes on and I was just blown away by this singer's voice. Alex Ubago does the singing and it's so beautiful! The english version always moves me to tears, but this version..! WOW! I found a YouTube video with translation and again, WOW, just wow! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1KdbfGIu2k

I strongly urge you guys to give this version a listen! It's really beautiful!
I didn't remember it was Álex Ubago who performed the Spanish version of that song. I don't follow Spanish singers much (or any contemporary ones), so I'm not sure if he's still famous now or not, but I remember he was well-known in Spain when Treasure Planet was released. I agree his version is really good. The translation in that video you posted is accurate, but it's curious that in the Spanish part the accents go in the opposite direction of how they should. Maybe it was written with a keyboard that didn't have that symbol? I know the letter "ñ", for example, we have in Spanish is not in keyboards from other countries, so perhaps this is similar. Anyway, thanks for posting it! I was trying to find if there's an official music video for the Spanish version, but it seems they never made one. It's a shame they didn't.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

D82 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:48 pm I'm so sorry to hear about your losses, VanessaFan and carolinakid.

And sorry I hadn't said anything to you yet, VanessaFan. I've been meaning to, but finally hadn't until now. Like others have said, I'm very glad you're here! I read your post in the introductions thread and I really related to your story about the The Little Mermaid. It's my favorite Disney film as well, and like you, I'll the never forget the first time I saw it. I was totally mesmerized by it too. I've also seen your screencaps comparison of the various Little Mermaid home video releases, which I found very interesting, and your thread about Disney GIFS. My Internet connection is not too fast and the GIFS take a long time to load for me, but I've seen some of them and it's true that you can appreciate the animation and some other details better in slow motion. It's a great idea for a thread!
D82, thank you so much for the kind words. They really mean alot. And no worries about to saying anything to me, better late than never ;) And I'm happy that you like my threads. Also great that Mermaid is your favorite Disney movie too! :D It's such a great movie! I don't know what movie comes in second place on my list, Treasure Planet or Aladdin. I think they're tied. Treasure Planet because I relate to much to Jim and Aladdin because it's just a great movie that, like The Little Mermaid, has it all! Great plot, great animation, great characters and great songs! I'm sorry to hear about your Internet connection, but hopefully you can still see and enjoy the Disney GIFS. 8)
I didn't remember it was Álex Ubago who performed the Spanish version of that song. I don't follow Spanish singers much (or any contemporary ones), so I'm not sure if he's still famous now or not, but I remember he was well-known in Spain when Treasure Planet was released. I agree his version is really good. The translation in that video you posted is accurate, but it's curious that in the Spanish part the accents go in the opposite direction of how they should. Maybe it was written with a keyboard that didn't have that symbol? I know the letter "ñ", for example, we have in Spanish is not in keyboards from other countries, so perhaps this is similar. Anyway, thanks for posting it! I was trying to find if there's an official music video for the Spanish version, but it seems they never made one. It's a shame they didn't.
The spanish version beats the danish version out of the water! I was really disappointed when I saw the danish version of the movie and the song started. You can hear the danish version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj54gaN61Mc

The song is sung by Jimmy Joergensen and every time he sings the letter "s" you can hear he lisper. I don't know why Disney decided that he should do the song. But Álex' version, uff! :D Pure perfection!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

VanessaFan wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:53 pm D82, thank you so much for the kind words. They really mean alot. And no worries about to saying anything to me, better late than never ;) And I'm happy that you like my threads. Also great that Mermaid is your favorite Disney movie too! :D It's such a great movie! I don't know what movie comes in second place on my list, Treasure Planet or Aladdin. I think they're tied. Treasure Planet because I relate to much to Jim and Aladdin because it's just a great movie that, like The Little Mermaid, has it all! Great plot, great animation, great characters and great songs! I'm sorry to hear about your Internet connection, but hopefully you can still see and enjoy the Disney GIFS. 8)
Aladdin is one of my top favorites too (my third favorite after The Little Mermaid and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) and I really like Treasure Planet as well. I think it's a really underrated movie. Musker and Clements are great directors. One of the reasons why their films are so good, in my opinion, is that they create characters that feel very real and are very relatable, which I think can be even more important than having a good story. Though their films generally also have great stories, animation and songs, as you mentioned regarding Aladdin.

As for my Internet connection, it's not very fast, but it's not too slow either. I normally don't have problems loading images or watching videos, for example. Those GIFs, though, take a long time to load to me for some reason.
VanessaFan wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:53 pm The spanish version beats the danish version out of the water! I was really disappointed when I saw the danish version of the movie and the song started. You can hear the danish version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj54gaN61Mc

The song is sung by Jimmy Joergensen and every time he sings the letter "s" you can hear he lisper. I don't know why Disney decided that he should do the song. But Álex' version, uff! :D Pure perfection!
I think the Danish version is not bad, but "I'm Still Here" is a great song, so it's difficult to make it sound bad.