Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Wish

Post by DisneyFan09 »

So Valentino is going to talk, huh? Well, at least it`s something to distinguish him from Djali.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:09 pm So Valentino is going to talk, huh? Well, at least it`s something to distinguish him from Djali.
Yes, that's true.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

D82 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:50 pm A new interview from D23 with Ariana DeBose and Alan Tudyk has been released. What Ariana says near the end when asked what she hopes people take away from the movie; that your dreams don't work unless you do and so on, sounds a lot like The Princess and the Frog's message, doesn't it? I hope it's not the main theme once again.
I'm not too upset with keeping the idea that a person needs to put in the work for their dreams to come true. It is the truth for the most part. I think something that will separate Tiana from this is that she also takes it all WAY too literally in PatF. She overworks, and learns the lesson that it's important to put in the work, but also ok to take a step back and enjoy your life. It doesn't seem like that's the how Asha's journey will go so far, I can see it taking a more "you can't rely on a wish to solve all your problems" kind of route, which again sounds similar to PatF through Naveen's journey?

In that interview Alan's energy is what struck me. He's been in a number of great Disney films, and he seems a little more excited this time around. I think that's a good sign that he's happy with the project overall.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

singerguy04 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:53 am I'm not too upset with keeping the idea that a person needs to put in the work for their dreams to come true. It is the truth for the most part. I think something that will separate Tiana from this is that she also takes it all WAY too literally in PatF. She overworks, and learns the lesson that it's important to put in the work, but also ok to take a step back and enjoy your life. It doesn't seem like that's the how Asha's journey will go so far, I can see it taking a more "you can't rely on a wish to solve all your problems" kind of route, which again sounds similar to PatF through Naveen's journey?
I don't have a problem with the message itself either; I think it's something good and important to learn, but I fear it could feel a bit repetitive to have the same lesson in this film as well. But you're right Tiana also learns not to be too obsessed about work and enjoy life more, so probably it'll be a bit different here, as you said.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Disney trademarked the characters Sabino and Queen Amaya that are most likely from this film.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Asha, Sabino, Amaya--I'm liking the names they're choosing so far. I hope Sabino is the name of a love interest for Asha, at least it sounds like a male name to me? And that Amaya is a villainess.... ;) I know the existence of a prince or a villain is close to nil with modern Disney, but I keep hoping.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Amaya is definitely a Spanish name. It comes from the Basque Country, which is a region of Spain. But maybe it's used in other countries too. Sabino sounds like it could be Spanish as well, but I've never heard that name before. If it is, it's definitely a male name.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Yes, Sabino is a Spanish name meaning wise. It comes from the Latin root sapiens which in Spanish is sabio.

The feminine form is Sabina.
Disney's Divinity

That makes sense, what with saber meaning to know in a more definite sense (whereas conocer is more of to know in a more personal way). It's been a while, but I remember a lot of Spanish..

Either way, "Prince Sabino" or "Queen Amaya" would sound great, that's why I thought about it. At least from the pictures we have of Asha, she doesn't strike me at first as a natural born princess even though she's living in a kingdom (where there has to be a ruler of some kind). I could be wrong though--"Princess Asha" does sound right.
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

Although it's not specified that those registered names are attached to Wish, Sabino might not be a prince or a human guy as Sabino is also the name of a color's horse, so...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

carolinakid wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:39 am Yes, Sabino is a Spanish name meaning wise. It comes from the Latin root sapiens which in Spanish is sabio.

The feminine form is Sabina.
Thanks for the info. There are still lots of words from my own language I still don't know. :embarrassed: The feminine form sounds familiar to me, though. There's a famous Spanish singer whose surname is Sabina, and I think it's also the name of a tree.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:34 pm At least from the pictures we have of Asha, she doesn't strike me at first as a natural born princess even though she's living in a kingdom (where there has to be a ruler of some kind).
She doesn't strike me as a princess either. Her outfit is not luxurious enough and I don't see a princess having a goat as a pet.
Prince Kido wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:32 pm Although it's not specified that those registered names are attached to Wish, Sabino might not be a prince or a human guy as Sabino is also the name of a color's horse, so...
It's true; apparently it's a horse that has white, black and brown hair:
Said of an animal, especially a cavalry: That has mixed white, black and brown hair.
Source: https://dle.rae.es/sabino

I think it's quite likely it's the name of a horse in the movie. Plus, Asha is just seventeen. I don't think they'll give her a love interest.
Disney's Divinity

Good point about the goat being her "sidekick." That's more a sign Asha is a commoner (at least at the beginning of the story).
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:00 pm On Twitter, Laughing Place (https://mobile.twitter.com/laughing_pla ... 0774940675) says that Dua Lipa is writing the songs with Julia Michaels.
blackcauldron85 wrote:Laughing Place seems to be the only ones mentioning Dua; I think Julia worked with Dua previously so maybe LP is mistaken.
blackcauldron85 wrote:Disney's Twitter just mentions Julia so LP must've been mistaken.
On September 10th, Laughing Place did correct themselves on Twitter:
Correction: Dua Lipa is not cowriting the songs for #Wish, but the songwriter for Wish has previously cowritten songs with Dua Lipa. We misunderstood the announcement. Apologies.
Sotiris wrote:I noticed that too about the animation and I don't believe the footage shown was unfinished. I think it looks that way because of the non-photorealistic rendering. There's nothing 2D about it, by the way. An artist who's working on it confirmed this is stylized CG and that they are using Hyperion, which is their usual rendering software, not Maender. I'm certain the final product will have no drawing involved whatsoever.
The artist in that tweet said "BTW, this first look image is rendered entirely with Disney’s Hyperion Renderer." So just the first look image= Hyperion?

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... roy-conli/
Utilizing all of the technological advancements from the most recent films, Roy Conli shared that a major systems change at the studio will help make the next film, Wish, look more incredible than any before it.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The star from Wish at the end credits from Strange World:

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I now realize that while the videos of the song were posted (though I don't think they're available now), we never posted a screenshot of the animated part:

In addition, this image of Valentino looks like its his final rendered model:

Hand drawn animation is about the lines, about drawings coming to life, and both of these suggest to me that this is a CGI film, probably a more stylized CGI which might look gorgeous but a CGI nonetheless.
However, perhaps there might be hand drawn sequences in it, who knows?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Erm, I actually saw the animation tests for Wish at D23 and they looked similar to the movements of the characters in a movie known as The Bad Guys.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Skye Roberts says that in an even with the filmmakers in Singapore, they said that Asha is a princess and that she will journey through various worlds in order to save her people.
It seems that my theory that she'll visit places from previous Disney films and meet other known characters might be correct:

https://youtu.be/nJycBm9XE1s
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

How do we know that "various worlds" = through existing Disney worlds? If it's true, it's slightly reminiscent of In Search of Mickey Mouse, except worlds vs. characters.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

They’ve been wanting to do this forever. Isn’t that what they had planned for Fantasia 2000? All the Royals together. Until they realized it was stupid.

Also it’s essentially just ‘into the Spiderverse’ with Disney Princess movies. Down to the animation style.

Nobody. Wants. This.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

PatrickvD wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:21 am They’ve been wanting to do this forever. Isn’t that what they had planned for Fantasia 2000? All the Royals together. Until they realized it was stupid.

Also it’s essentially just ‘into the Spiderverse’ with Disney Princess movies. Down to the animation style.

Nobody. Wants. This.
I. Would. Not. Mind. It. What‘s. The.Difference. Between. This. And. Kingdom. Hearts.?. :-).