Bob Chapek Named CEO of The Walt Disney Company

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Bob Chapek Named CEO of The Walt Disney Company

Post by Sotiris »

rodrigo_ca wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:18 am Well, that didn't last too long rotfl
He had the shortest tenure as CEO in Disney history. I wonder if he'll now join Candle Media. That's the place former Disney execs Iger screwed over go. :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

06/29/2022: Disney CEO Bob Chapek Gets Three Year Contract Extension
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/executives/ ... 18305.html

That's actually less than five months ago, and it seems like Disney was so happy with him that they wanted him to stay at least three more years.

Whatever it is that has happened, it is something very recently.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:22 pm That's actually less than five months ago, and it seems like Disney was so happy with him that they wanted him to stay at least three more years.

Whatever it is that has happened, it is something very recently.
According to WSJ, Disney lost 1.47 billion in most recent quarter. More than twice the loss during peak Covid.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

That's still a mystery. Since they wanted to keep him for three more years some months ago, the income back then can't have been that bad. Which makes me curious why this quarter was such a disaster.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Chapek's ouster was spearheaded by the CFO Christine McCarthy.

Walt Disney executives staged revolt against ousted chief Bob Chapek
https://www.ft.com/content/a9277a18-18f ... 762120846a

Disney blindsided Chapek with CEO decision after reaching out to Iger on Friday
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/21/disney- ... nings.html

Walt Disney CFO, Others Brought Concerns to Board Over Bob Chapek
https://www.wsj.com/articles/walt-disne ... 1669072222
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Former Disney Ad Depicts Everything Chapek Took Away
https://insidethemagic.net/2022/11/form ... topia-zg1/

(https://youtu.be/Q7Nhwt8GQAI)
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

You just know that when the Disney+ ad supported tier is released and profits soar Iger is gonna get credit for saving the company even though he technically didn’t do anything about that.
blackcauldron85

Former Disney CEO Michael Eisner Comments on Upheaval The Walt Disney Company
https://wdwnt.com/2022/11/former-disney ... y-company/
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I'm not saying that I feel bad that Chapek got booted, but is anyone else feeling a little conflicted about how all of this played out?

It just seems like Disney drags their feet, and takes so many precautions as to not look a certain way, but they got him good. Like, the man didn't see any of this coming it seems. I'm glad he's gone, but the way this happened doesn't necessarily ease me into a sense of security into how the company is working right now.

EDIT

Just to elaborate a little more on my thoughts... Disney kind of knew what they were going to get with Chapek. He didn't really make many surprising calls when it came to his track record. The whole situation feels like a huge embarrassing case of buyer's regret. Now in retrospect, what happened with Chapek seemed inevitable. Trying to replace Iger seems like a unsurmountable feat, and if Iger is even more successful over the next few years it will only get worse. It's sort of feeling like when Walt passed, it just took a long while for the company to find it's footing again. The same might be in this situation.
blackcauldron85

I mean, it's sad when anyone who hasn't committed a crime gets fired without notice. Chapek could be set for life with the $20 million he's walking away with??

Disney has a huge reputation to uphold, and Chapek was bringing it down. Disney does not like having controversy surrounding the company and there's been a lot of that lately unfortunately.
It's interesting that his contract was recently renewed...it's interesting that that was allowed and then shortly after he gets the boot.

Iger's main focus is finding and training a replacement...so I think he'll be extra picky this time around!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Interesting to see Eisner comment, even a vague one like that. I wouldn't think he thinks about Disney at all these days.

I think this all happened because Iger wanted back at the company, he only left thinking he was going on to bigger and better things that didn't pan out and wanted his cushy job back once that didn't happen. I think whoever had been there would've been ousted eventually for Iger to get back in, but Chapek did make himself vulnerable, giving them reasons they could use to oust him for Iger.

I know they said Iger will find somebody in 2 years, but I don't buy that. I don't think he's going anywhere.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Iger really thought he had a shot at becoming US President. 🤡
blackcauldron85

Former Disney CEO Bob Chapek’s Restructuring Attempt Caused Heavy Backlash from Creative Executives https://wdwnt.com/?p=824050
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Kareem Daniel and the rise and fall of the Disney executive who helped define the Bob Chapek era
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... chapek-era
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

What a disaster! Bye, Felicia!
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but Lightyear and Strange World and other projects were already in production when Chapek took over. These movies were greenlit under Iger's watch. So I don't think Chapek can be blamed for those (the marketing and decisions to release some of them directly on Disney+ on the other hand ...).

What I would like to know is what has been greenlit under Chapek's short rule, and if he's had any influence on these future movies.
blackcauldron85

Florida Lawmakers Now Working to Reverse Dissolution of Reedy Creek Improvement District
https://wdwnt.com/?p=824131

Governor DeSantis Denies ‘U-Turn’ on Reedy Creek Dissolution
https://wdwnt.com/?p=825015
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:24 pm Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but Lightyear and Strange World and other projects were already in production when Chapek took over. These movies were greenlit under Iger's watch. So I don't think Chapek can be blamed for those (the marketing and decisions to release some of them directly on Disney+ on the other hand ...).

What I would like to know is what has been greenlit under Chapek's short rule, and if he's had any influence on these future movies.
That's something I've been wondering as well. Have we started to see his influence on the films themselves, or not yet?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:24 pm Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but Lightyear and Strange World and other projects were already in production when Chapek took over. These movies were greenlit under Iger's watch. So I don't think Chapek can be blamed for those (the marketing and decisions to release some of them directly on Disney+ on the other hand ...).

I agree that I don't think the CEO has as much input into the films as a lot of people think. It's not exactly as if Iger or Chapek hand-picked or created the premise of the projects. It's also been said numerous times that Chapek is a numbers guy, so I assume he had as little creative input as possible. I think being a numbers man he did look for recipes and patterns in a project, and if it looks alright on paper he might've been all in. That's also why I buy into the conspiracy theory that he was intentionally tanking projects (in marketing, release schedule, other behind the scenes ways) to build more content for Disney+.

What I will disagree with is that Chapek couldn't have had any effect on films greenlit by Iger. It's really not as if just because they started production before he took over that these were untouchable. Chapek, or more so, the people he assigned had a direct impact on how those films were developed. That's why Iger has been laying off some of those individuals as well.

That's why I'm not as concerned for a film like Wish for example. Now that Iger's back and a focus of his is to restore the creative structure of the company. It's one project I think will see a positive effect from that.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

singerguy04 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:23 am What I will disagree with is that Chapek couldn't have had any effect on films greenlit by Iger. It's really not as if just because they started production before he took over that these were untouchable. Chapek, or more so, the people he assigned had a direct impact on how those films were developed. That's why Iger has been laying off some of those individuals as well.
Well, that's true. Regarding Wish, since it's released next year it's probably quite advanced in production, but I guess he could still make some changes. And if it was really bad, he could also postpone it or even cancel it.