Halloween 2022 (Wheeeeeeee!)

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Halloween 2022 (Wheeeeeeee!)

Post by Jules »

It's really odd that I'm making a Halloween thread seeing as I don't really celebrate it, lol. :lol:

Halloween is a relatively recent import in Malta, but it has caught on. However, I doubt it is celebrated same as overseas. In American movies, you see streets closed for traffic and children and adults dressed up and walking freely at night. Does that really happen, or is it a Hollywood exaggeration?

Here, kids now go trick or treating and there might be organised events for adults on Halloween night, but otherwise the streets look normal.

Interestingly, some people are now starting to hang Halloween decorations on their front windows and doors. Some are interesting ... others are ridiculous.

This one made me lol:

Someone hung that up their window a couple of streets away from where I live. The Grim Reaper one is fine, but I was all giggles at the impending murder scene on the right. rotfl I mean ... isn't that a little too grim, even for Halloween? :milkbuds:

Post any interesting pics here! Get the conversation going! lgm
Jules
Diamond Edition

Re: Halloween 2022 (Wheeeeeeee!)

Post by Jules »

Oh, come on! No replies yet? :wink: Are you men, or are you lovely, sweet grannies knitting in your rocking chairs? :P
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I've never seen streets closed off for Trick or Treaters but maybe they do in big cities? I've lived in my current house for 4 years now and not once have we got a trick or treater!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:25 pm I've never seen streets closed off for Trick or Treaters but maybe they do in big cities? I've lived in my current house for 4 years now and not once have we got a trick or treater!
Ah, I see. I thought it looked a bit far-fetched.

I guess I am influenced by what I see in movies like Hocus Pocus, where the streets are chock full of people in costume. It's like a street party. I must admit I like the idea, and that's certainly what happens during carnival celebrations in many parts of the world, but I understand it may not be practical since Halloween isn't a "major" holiday like Christmas or Thanksgiving.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I grew up in a small town, but there were a lot of tick-or-treaters roaming around and it didn’t look far off from what you see from Hollywood. They didn’t close down our streets, but traffic was slow and close to non-existent in the residential areas; for example, the street I grew up on was short and had a dead-end. The officials of our town also threw a little outdoor party in the parking lot of the local grocery store! Every year they’d sell hot dogs and have a small “parade” to choose best costumes in different age groups. My cheap store-bought costumes never won, lol … random, but I must have been 6 or 7 the year I dressed up as ET.

Anyway, the tradition of my family and practically all of my classmates was to go to the outdoor party to get our hot dog for dinner, participate in the parade to not only hope for a prize, but to check out everyone else’s costumes. After that we’d go trick-or treating to as many houses as we could until long after dark and we were either exhausted or out of houses to visit. Oh, and our fire department always put up a haunted house as well, built from the ground up and set up in the space of one of their huge garages. Always had a blast visiting that once I was a little older and was socially outgrowing trick or treating. Our junior high would also host a Halloween dance in our school’s gym for the junior high students, around the age when most kids “graduated” away from trick or treating.

That was in the 80s, and things have since changed. Not that it has anything to do with it, but I clearly remember when the first Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode was airing, as I’d set my VCR to record it so I could experience the haunted house the same night (was a few days before the 31st though, if I’m remembering correctly). Anyway, that was probably the last year I celebrated Halloween as a “kid.”

I continued to live in the same house up until 2002, and watched the trick or treating dwindle down over the years. Less costumed crowds in the streets, smaller parties at the store parking lot, fewer decorations at the neighbors’, less visitors at our door. I think part of that was because they’d changed the trick or treating hours to only 5:00pm until 7:00pm, so no one was even allowed to go out after dark anymore for “safety reasons.” That really destroyed the fun and spooky atmosphere. That was also around the time parents and businesses starting shifting away from traditional trick or treating to easier and “safer” options, like collecting candy from all the stores of the local mall, and people organizing trunk or treats instead.

We did a trunk or treat with Little Dude at his school this year. It was kind of fun to see the teachers “dress up” their trunks and to see what all the kids were wearing (Little Dude was Mario!), but it was also … well, lame. Such a short walk through a tiny parking lot, staying in a single-file line while the school blasted Kidz Bop versions of classic Halloween songs. No adventure or sense of exploring your neighborhood under the unfamiliar, spooky veil of darkness, with genuinely creepy music pouring out of garages and front doors meticulously decorated with tombstones, spiderwebs, and talking skulls. It’s all become so … sanitized. The school doesn’t even technically celebrate Halloween anymore because it’s considered too controversial these days. Instead, they ask that you “dress up as your favorite character from a book” on a day that just happens to fall on Halloween. It’s a bit ridiculous if you ask me, but what do I know?

Can you tell I love Halloween? :lol: I made the mistake of telling my aunt a month or so back how I enjoy going to the stores just for the Halloween decorations (I especially love home decor with skulls year-round), and I got a lecture about how Halloween is “evil with its pagan roots.” Ugh, I won’t make that mistake again! :P

Anyway, when it comes to kids walking the streets in costumes, Hollywood’s depiction is relatively accurate for decades past, if a bit more romanticized, but the traditions and methods of celebrating have definitely been shifting into more contained spaces. But we still have fun in our own way, and I make sure we watch Garfield’s Halloween Adventure.

Well, Halloween is long over at this point and we’re facing Thanksgiving. Which means … ?

Little Dude is eager to switch to Christmas mode with his favorite movie:

Yep, he’s definitely my kid!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! :santa: :santa: :santa:
blackcauldron85

Little Dude's costume is great!! That ET costume - not as scary as I was expecting! I guess with stranger danger, trunk or treats are better than nothing...
blackcauldron85

What is everyone dressing up as this year? At my new job they do group themes and this year is Toy Story!!!!! I am being Giggle McDimples. Most people don't know her but what can you do...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Giggle McDimples is such a fun choice!! I love it!!

We have a Halloween event at work and are encouraged to dress up, but tbh I have no idea what I’ll wear. I’m probably going to be boring and just wear a Mickey pumpkin ball cap lol.
blackcauldron85

Thank you! With the hat you could wear an orange shirt too? Or if you have orange pants (lol most people don't), you could wear a green shirt, and then you're like a pumpkin all over. But I'm glad you're incorporating Disney!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

So our big Halloween event was last night at work. I’m exhausted (why I’m up at 4am on a Saturday morning… idk). I ended up dressing as a “Disney Adult,” since I thought it was funny and everything I needed was in my closet lol. I wore Mickey ears, Disney pins, a Disney backpack, a Mickey Mouse t-shirt, a MagicBand, and also “sunscreen” on my nose and flip flops with socks! I had my friend write two “tattoos” on me— one said “Faith Trust and Pixie Dust” and the other said “She Wants the D” (the “D” looking like a Disney “D”). I hid the second one under my shirt sleeve and just showed it off to co-workers. Lol! I bought a Mickey Mouse balloon at the Dollar Tree to complete the look. It was a hit if I do say so myself! Hahahaha

On actual Halloween we’re having a potluck and I think I’ll just wear pumpkin Mickey ears for that.
blackcauldron85

THAT'S AMAZING! Yes, I'm yelling! Super fun idea!!!!!!!!! I'm glad that was a hit!!!

I'll post a pic of me as Giggle in a few days!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Happy Halloween!!

I’ve been really behind on my spooky viewing this year… really only have watched the 1931 Dracula and Frankenstein. Haven’t even watched Hocus Pocus yet, which is my favorite! Well, I’ll watch it tonight, and maybe the sequel?
blackcauldron85

Happy Halloween! I am also behind on my viewing; I watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown + Ichabod + Mr. Toad so far.

Here's me as Giggle McDimples! https://imgur.com/a/ckSyP4E
(It has an age warning for some reason but it's not inappropriate, I promise!). Wish my shirt wasn't so wrinkly!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Your costume looks great!!! Did you make the hat or buy it that way??? It’s awesome. Love your tats btw!
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Happy Halloween Guys! :D

So, is it me, or did anyone kinda forgot that Halloween was coming up? Like, everyone is so focused on Christmas, so much so that when they're reminded of Halloween, they'd act shocked and just continue their lives and causaly prepare. Even the kids are not even dressing up! They're just playing normally on the streets. :lol: The only halloween thing I did was just watch the new Five Nights At Freddy's movie and even then, I didn't do it ON Halloween and not watch it in full 🙃

Oh well, at least you guys are celebrating it well, I'm just celebrating it like it's a normal day, no trick-or-treating, no dressing up, nothing rotfl
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea by Joe Hisashi (Song)
2. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. Shin Megami Tensei V (Video Game)
5. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
blackcauldron85

UmbrellaFish wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:35 am Your costume looks great!!! Did you make the hat or buy it that way??? It’s awesome. Love your tats btw!
Thank you! The tiny-hat-on-a-headband came with a silver "badge" but I obviously made the construction paper paw print badge lol.

MoonMarc21, if it weren't for a work party, I wouldn't have had a reason to dress up; I don't have kids so no trick-or-treating for me. Watching 5NaF counts as celebrating Halloween I think!

I'm watching TNBC right now.