Luca

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Re: Luca

Post by singerguy04 »

I loved Luca too, but not getting a sequel (at least anytime soon) doesn't come as too much a surprise.

At first I was really frustrated with this film for not taking the extra inch it would've taken to acknowledge this as a gay youth film. I mean, I saw myself in Luca better than any other animated film thus far and sort of felt gaslighted when I was being told it's not about being gay. It's clear that it is an allegory for growing up LGBT+. I guess now I'm not letting that frustration cloud my love for this film, and I keep suggesting it to friends and family. It's a shame it never got to experience a theatrical run, because I think this and Soul in particular have sort of a "less than" veil on them due to being Disney+ exclusive. Hopefully it gets nominated because I think that will elevate it in some peoples eyes.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm glad Enrico is working on another Pixar film! As for a Luca sequel, I don't know, I don't think it needs one. If they could come up with a good story, I wouldn't mind it, but I don't have much faith in Pixar sequels at the moment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I would only want a sequel if they decided to take it in the LGBT direction more fully. I mean, the first film is still largely a metaphor for it, imo, largely because of the way the two older women who are always together are revealed to be "sea monsters" hiding in plain sight, too. They could jump forward 5 or 6 years when they're more high school age, after Luca has experienced life on land for quite a while by that point and he and Giulia return to the town to live finally. I actually read some online article a couple of weeks ago (which may have been posted here in the past, and I forgot it) that said they originally planned for Giulia to be openly LGBT in the film. My guess is they were thinking of trying to throw a bone to the audience since the director didn't want to do that with the main character since it's based on himself.

But I know they're not going that direction. I understand that the creator was thinking of his own experiences, but still it's a shame because I think it would work with a sequel of this film and still keep the same coming-of-age factor. And, I mean...PIXAR yanks things away from the director's personal vision for their own purposes all the time... :lol: I wish the same thing would happen with a Raya sequel. I'm glad Casarosa is making more projects at PIXAR since I liked this one though.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I have now seen the movie (some weeks ago actually). Most modern animated features normally feels obligated to insert a certain amount of action and adventure, afraid it would be boring if not. But it is fully possible to make completely innocent movies without anything bad or dangerous happening (and I agree, it would have been a horrible idea to add a kraken at the end). This movie came pretty close. My complaint is that it seems to be an unwritten rule that friends and/or familily must always hurt each other at some point in the story.
twihard
Limited Issue

Post by twihard »

so the director of the Luca sequel short ships Luca and Alberto and considers them a canon couple. He posted fanart on insta for them as a couple. does this make them a canon ship now?

https://www.thepinknews.com/2024/01/09/ ... o-luberto/
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Alexander Payne’s ‘The Holdovers’ Accused of Plagiarism by ‘Luca’ Writer
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/the- ... 235935605/

This would be a huge bummer given that I thought The Holdovers was an incredible film. Not sure what the ideal outcome is. Don't want it to be true because that would really taint my affection for the movie, but I also don't want Luca's screenwriter to be a money-grubber.

This will make tomorrow evening VERY interesting ...