New Blu-ray/DVD Thread XVIII - Spending, We Wrote

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: New Blu-ray/DVD Thread XVIII - Spending, We Wrote

Post by UmbrellaFish »

There is a 24 hour flash sale going on at Criterion.com today. I picked up these titles, all on Blu-Ray:

3 Films by Roberto Rossellini Starring Ingrid Bergman
The Heiress
Some Like It Hot
Black Narcissus
Nashville
Amores perros
The Piano Teacher
Charade
Sansho the Bailiff

A number of blind buys and some old favorites. Kind of a smattering of foreign film and Classic Hollywood this time around for me.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I ordered these from Criterion today too:

Crash
The Lady Eve
Moonrise
Smooth Talk
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

There's a Warner Archive sale today, so I picked up these:

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I also participated in the 4 for $44 sale. I’ve been saving since last month for this sale so I bought a lot of titles. But since this may be the cheapest any of these movies are ever again, I felt I had to. I love WAC, I wish all studios treated their back catalogues as good as Warner does their’s.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I just bought the first two seasons of Bates Motel on Blu-ray. I've already seen the show, but it's been so long and I always planned to get it when the price was right. It was $14, so that's like $7 per season. I have a lot of shows that I keep an eye on to pick up on Blu-ray when they get low enough one season at a time (Merlin, OUAT, LOST, etc.). :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

Beautiful Thing DVD ~ This was the first LGBT film I ever saw… Well, except for maybe Transamerica? I’m not sure. Anyway, LOGO was a free channel years ago when I was in high school and this film was airing at the time. It’s always had a special place in my heart for that reason.
ReBoot: The Definitive Mainframe Edition DVD ~ I’ve had most of the later (best) seasons of the show on VHS, and so put off buying this hoping for a low price. The lowest I’ve ever seen it get was $35 area a few years back, but it hasn’t got that low recently. There was a coupon available with it the other day that took nearly $10 off and I figured that’s around as low as it’ll ever get. *shrug*
Merlin: Complete Series DVD ~ It’s a shame the last two seasons are the only ones available on Blu-ray. I decided to go for the complete DVD set since that’s the case. This is the first time I’ve seen it this low… (It was a 2019 re-package apparently.) I checked the information to see if it might be an item for a different region, but it said nothing about region anywhere. We’ll see how it goes! :lol:

I just noticed that Steven Universe has a complete collection DVD out! That includes the movie and Future, too. I’ll have to get that eventually when I find it at the right price. :) Might buy Crazy Rich Asians' Blu-ray, we’ll see. It’s only $6 right now. I might get Galavant's DVD sometime in the next month, since I think its price is locked and never shifts like with other items. I’ve had the soundtrack since it first released, and that was enough for me to get by with in the meantime, but I want the show eventually. It’s been a while now.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I didn't know Galavant had a DVD release!!!!!!!!!! I have no $ but I added it to my wishlist. Sounds like you got some good things to watch!!
Disney's Divinity

^ The odd thing is it's not available through Disney Movie Club. I know, because I looked recently when I was thinking about different things I could order the next time I re-start my account (I'm thinking of getting the rest of OUAT and LOST that I don't have that way). Weird since it did air on ABC?
blackcauldron85

Yes, it did air on ABC...maybe the other production company that made it won't allow it to be sold on DMC or something? No idea...
Disney's Divinity

Promising Young Woman Blu-ray ~ $4.70-ish? There was a coupon with it. I intended to buy it if it was ever this cheap and miraculously there it was. Plus, this way I can loan it to others to let them finally watch it if they haven't.
Supernatural's Fifteenth / Final Season Blu-ray ~ $12.99 ~ A little more than I've paid for the other seasons, but it's only been priced $34+ for the longest time. The OCD part of me is glad to have them all together now. :lol:
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Everything I got on Black Friday:

On BD:

-The Conjuring 3
-Godzilla vs Kong
-Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
-Dumbo (live action)
-Toy Story 4
-Soul
-Solo: A Star Wars Story
-Batman Returns (used-would have bought it new but wasn´t available).

On DVD:

-Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (because I own the rest on DVD as well).

I got as a gift:

-Game of Thrones Season 8 (BD)

I got for gifts:

-The Conjuring 3 (BD)
-The Nun (BD)
-Cinderella (live action) on DVD ; wanted it on BD but wasn´t availble
-Shazam (BD)

So now I need Raya, Onward and Luca to own all the Disney and Pixar movies at the moment.

As for live action I´m still missing for sure Cruella and Christopher Robin.

...said for sure because, initially, I wanted to own all the live actions. However, I know for sure I won´t be getting The Little Mermaid when it comes out (not even going to watch it). The Lady and the Tramp isn´t certain if it´ll be available and I don´t care at all for it anyways. Then there´s The Lion King that I hate the shot by shot remake it was. And there´s Mulan that was meh and, at the same time, a let down for me. So I´m not sure if I´ll be getting those.

PS

Regarding Disney and Pixar movies...I´ll own them all just because I´m a completist but Raya was VERY meh to me. As for Pixar: Toy Story 4 was so not needed, didn´t deliver and brought down the story. Onward was meh. Soul is the best for sure but is a movie I´m not sure how many times I´d like to rewatch. Luca is very good as well. However, I´ve seen so many coming of age movies that it was just another one for me.

Because of that I want to own them but it´s very hard for me to even want to get them.
Last edited by DC Fan on Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DC Fan wrote:Regarding Disney and Pixar movies...I´ll own them all just because I´m a completist but Raya was VERY meh to me. As for Pixar: Toy Story 4 was so not needed, didn´t deliver and brought down the story. Onward was meh. Soul is the best for sure but is a movie I´m not sure how many times I´d like to rewatch. Luca is very good as well. However, I´ve seen so many coming of age movies that it was just another one for me.

Because of that I want to own them but it´s very hard for me to even want to get them.
I never bought Raya and the Last Dragon, someone gave me a free code so I own it on digital but I don't really watch that, there are much better options. Onward is another film I didn't get. I'm at a point where I don't really want to waste money on movies I don't really care about, everything is on streaming anyway so i'll just watch them there, though it isn't likely that I will to be honest.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

As said, I´m only getting them because I´m a compeltist. Because, if I´m being honest: Fantasia is maginificent but a movie I rarely watch (I´d watch more often Fantasia 2000 because it´s shorter), Lady and the Tramp has incredible animation but I find it extremely boring, I dislike The Fox and the Hound, Oliver and Company never gets to me, I HATE Home on the Range...

So yes, I´m just a completist. :wink:

PS

Besides, as meh as I found Raya (EXTREMELY meh) it´s still not a movie I hate like Home on the Range.

PS1

Even Ralph Breaks the Internet I don´t find very good. The message is great. However, they didn´t need the Wreck it Ralph characters (ruining the Ralph and Vanellope friendship in the process) and the Star Wars and Marvel IPs destroys it.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Quick question for The original Jaws And it’s 2013 Blu-ray and digital copy combo: are the promotional photos you can watch In the Jaws archives on the Blu-ray the same promotional material that’s viewed in the shark is still working documentary? Or is it all completely different?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Turning Red
The Gnome-Mobile
Hello, Dolly!
Encanto
West Side Story (2021)

I’m looking for the Blu-ray of Melody Time with the unedited Pecos Bill segment.
Disney's Divinity

The Lansbury reference in the title... :(

So I re-started my Disney Movie Club again; I always wait for the paper offers to come in the mail rather than ending my account myself and all that bother, plus it keeps me from doing it too often. I got Turning Red, Luca, Encanto, Oliver & Company, and A Goofy Movie Blu-rays, those were the best of what was offered on the insert (I wish The Jungle Book or Mulan had been options). And I'll be glad to be able to watch the first three again!
Disney's Divinity

Aside from anything Funko-related ( :P ), here's most of the stuff I've bought the past 2-3 months:

- Sailor Moon: The Complete First Season Blu-ray ~ The VIZ dub is alright so far. Luna's VA is the only one that sort of takes me out.
- One-Punch Man: Season 2 Blu-ray
- Disney Classic Games Collection (PS4), which include the Sega versions of The Lion King, Aladdin, The Jungle Book. So it's a piece of nostalgia / childhood. If only they'd release a version with the TLM and Pocahontas Sega games, too. Both of those were pretty simplistic, but I enjoyed them.
- The gorgeous steelbook Blu-rays for the 18 Studio Ghibli that have them, and standard Blu-rays for the others (Mary and the Witch's Flower, Castle of Cagliostro, The Red Turtle, Grave of the Fireflies, Tales from Earthsea, Pom Poko, My Neighbors the Yamadas, and Ocean Waves). I'd been waiting forever, I finally decided to bite the bullet since most of them were marked down recently. The steelbooks mostly were the same price as the standard versions anyway.
Hogwarts Legacy Standard Version (PS5)
Part of My World by Jodi Benson ~ I only bought this recently, can't wait to read it.
Psychonauts 2 (PS4)
The PlayStation 5 Console, Disc Version.
P!nk's new album, Trustfall.
Disenchanted's soundtrack.
Adam Lambert's new album, High Drama.
Fairy Tail Collections 1 and 9.

I need to hunker down and not spend anything else for the next month or so. But eventually I'd like to finish getting the rest of the Fairy Tail Collections eventually (I have four of them so far), and One Piece's collection sets. I'll probably wait for when Target and Amazon have on of those B2G1 Free sales. And then several other games eventually--Final Fantasy Theathrythm: Final Bar Line (PS4) and Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core (PS5). Final Fantasy XVI (PS5), too, of course, which comes out in June finally.
blackcauldron85

Have you played Hogwarts Legacy yet? My husband said it's one of the best games he's ever played!

I've wanted to get my husband the Ghibli Blu-rays (eventually over time because $); I've seen the steel books...are the bonus features good? Same as non-steel books?

I bought Jodi's book, too, but haven't had time to read it yet.
Disney's Divinity

blackcauldron85 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:22 am Have you played Hogwarts Legacy yet? My husband said it's one of the best games he's ever played!
That's good to hear! I hadn't played it just yet, I gave Psychonauts 2 my attention first. I thought HL looked very good. I might've waited to get HL a little while, but where I stumbled on the PS5 in stores recently, I wanted to buy something PS5 exclusive to test it out in the next week or two. :P
I've wanted to get my husband the Ghibli Blu-rays (eventually over time because $); I've seen the steel books...are the bonus features good? Same as non-steel books?
I believe the bonus features are mostly the same as the standard versions. I did notice there were these really, really nice sets for a couple of the films (My Neighbor Totoro was one of them, I think Mononoke and Spirited Away were others) where the set was huge. I believe they had a soundtrack as well as a little art book. But they cost around $35, so I decided to stick with the steelbook. Plus, I like the idea of them looking seamless (well, as much as possible) on the shelf together, too.
Disney's Divinity

blackcauldron85 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:22 am Have you played Hogwarts Legacy yet? My husband said it's one of the best games he's ever played!
I've been playing it for the past week, and I really love it. I almost didn't think I would get to play it because as soon as I got through the prologue and the title appeared, it said I needed to download a patch for the game to work from there. Only because I was able to visit a relative who lives about an hour away and has Wi-Fi was I able to download the patch, probably a one-time miracle. I brought my PS4 along just to see if I might do the same for a few of my old games while I was there (since I doubt I'll be able to do that again :lol: ), but every time I tried to download patches for those, it said I needed to have a PlayStation Network account, so... :shrug: Oh, well. Thank God it worked though, because I'd hate to have bought it for nothing like that. Probably the first disc game I've bought that required a patch to even function. :headshake: There should at least be a base level available on the disc, jeez.

I'm level 21 or 22, I believe. I haven't explored much of the world map below Hogwarts or around/above Hogsmeade yet, that's what I plan to do next. I'm midway through the story, I think; I've just finished the Room of Requirement class with Ms. Weasley. I'm sort of shocked by how huge it is--and almost zero load time to jump from place to place. PS4 games were already pretty big. This is even crazier than those were. There are some things that I know shouldn't be there because they're connected to story events at least 50 years or so in the future from where this game is set, apparently--there shouldn't be spiders in the forest considering Hagrid is the one that introduced them, that kind of thing--but I know they wanted it to be as much like the world fans of the books / movies know of course. And it is very nice. I so wish they'd make this kind of game for a re-telling of the books, perhaps the full story in one huge, long game or split into parts 1 and 2.

I was surprised, too, how much openness there is to "designing" your own character. That was pretty cool, usually you wouldn't get that much choice / option. I've read that the game has been massively successful. I wonder if they may end up making a HL sequel in the future.