What are you reading/have you just read? Vol. 2

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: What are you reading/have you just read? Vol. 2

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I finished Jeff Smith's Bone last night. I wouldn't say I'm very attached to it or anything, but I have enjoyed it both times I've read it. The very ending made me laugh hard with Rose giving Phoney the gold pieces that he had stamped his face into because "nobody here would want those anyway." :lol: I looked up its Wikipedia page tonight kind of hoping there might have been a sequel at some point. I think there is something, but it doesn't involve Fone, Phoney, and Smiley, which means I don't have much interest in getting it. Too bad, I think there could've been another story there with them visiting the valley again several years later, although of course no plot could be as epic in scale.

I'm thinking of reading the Cardcaptor Sakura manga again now.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Currently working my way through some of Zane Grey's westerns. Now that I have a library card again it's nice being able to have access to books while mine are in storage.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I finished Pride and Prejudice last weekend for the first time. I’ve never read any Jane Austen before and now I understand why she is so popular. It was like kiking with a very smart, very funny friend. It is always so nice to find pieces of art that really excite you! I plan to read more Austen very soon. But I have Song of Achilles on my nightstand so that’s next!
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Glad that I found this thread about books because I want to share my opinions of the books that I bought with my own money :D :
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller and The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

The Song of Achilles: I got the book thanks to fanart that I saw on Pinterest, and it was a good read. It was a good retelling of the Illaid but this time, it mostly focuses on the two characters in it, Patroclus and Achilles. As I was about to read it, I thought Achilles would be the one narrating his perpective throughout the book but making it Patroclus instead was fine by me since I now know the he was just a minor character in the Illiad. From what I’ve heard, Patroclus wasn’t a major character in the story until the part where he died during the battle impersonating as Achilles since he refused to go after an argument with Agamemnon. Having him as the lead for this book made me appreciate the decision of him being the narrator because it can flesh out what his life was before meeting Achilles and the great battle. The relationship between the two was so intmate and engaging because it was such an emotional rollercoaster, from happy moments to sad moments and so on and so forth. The other side characters were fine, didn’t care much about them aside from Thesis, Chiron, Deidamia, and Briseis. The first act and the third act of the story were really good, but I didn’t pay much attention to the second half of the story when the war happens. Patroclus, Achilles and Briseis were the only ones that made me engaged through it. I thought it would end with a sad ending because Patroclus cannot go to the underworld and stays near Achilles’ grave but when Thesis (Achilles’ mother) listens to his experiences and lets him go, it became very bttersweet since the two leads reunite in the end.

The Midnight Library: I think this is the first book I bought without anyone recommending it to me and bought it because it’s premise just interested me. It was written by the same person who did “A Boy Named Christmas” which I didn’t read but it is an adaption on Netflix so maybe I can watch it soon. I kinda didn’t like the protagonist, Nora since starts off cynical, mostly because her life sucks and hates it, even when she dies and finds herself in the Midnight Library, where she can pick a life through books and live it. But as I read more and more, she became a bit relatable since she feels like she had missed opportunties and felt like she was useless in her root life. The lives she chooses to live and her experiences in it are very interesting. I think my favorite life she choose to experience was the one that tugged my heartstrings where she chooses a life where she had a date with a surgeon she had a crush on. I’m not gonna say too much about it but it made me cry a little and made my heart sank when she left it since she felt it was her perfect life. I think the only complaint I have with the book is it’s ending which made the lesson Nora was learning while she was at the library so straightforward and kinda made it rushed, but that’s just very minor. Overall, it’s main theme about living our lives was good and I did enjoy it.

tldr; they are very good books
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea by Joe Hisashi (Song)
2. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. Shin Megami Tensei V (Video Game)
5. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
masonjones5711

Post by masonjones5711 »

just finished reading 1984 by george orwell