Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Discussion Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Re: Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Discussion Thread

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Fantasia is one of the classic Disney features that I have never seen on the big screen, only on video (along with Fantasia 2000, the so-called package films and some others). But this December I had the chance to finally see it at the theatre because of the corona virus. There are so few new movies released these days that a lot of old classics are being re-released (and older movies not yet classics). Sadly I have either seen all of them already, or have no interest in seeing them. So I decided not to see Fantasia since I have seen it before, which I kind of regret now.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ You meant that you previously missed out on Fantasia at the theater, but you eventually did see it, last month, right?

How Animators Created the Elaborate "Ave Maria" Sequence for 'Fantasia'
https://filmschoolrejects.com/fantasia- ... -sequence/
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Unfortunately not. This is the first time in my lifetime that Fantasia has been shown at the theater in my country, as far as I know. It can't have been for long, because suddenly it was gone again. And it was too late to do something about it. I blame Youtube, since I have seen some of the scenes there now and then. If it had been years since I saw it, it would have been easier to use the opportunity.

Thanks for the link. Even without CAPS, a multiplane camera today would have used an electric motor (I think Don Bluth used something like that) and be computers controlled. But in those days, everything was done by hans.
The "package films" were made as a way to save money, as a long feature would be more expensive. With Fantasia it was the other way around; each individual short would have been too expensive on their own, but as a movie the budget could be justified.
Would like to see Disney do something similar today. Fantasia was more like a complication of expensive Silly Symphonies shorts with classical music. But what about a movie consisting of individual and expensive shorts that were not musical pieces. Instead it could be experimental and creative shorts with characters talking.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Finally coming on Blu + digital (packaged together with Celebrating Mickey; no news on bonus features...)

Coming 4/20/21 as a Disney Movie Club exclusive (was in a DMC email):
http://imgur.com/a/CqxTaJd

I take it these will be the same Blu-ray discs from before (which had extras).

Regardless, I'll give Disney points for doing this but I wish they'd continued into the possibility of releasing more of their classic shorts on home video. I'll even take another compilation release.
blackcauldron85

That's a shame, Rumpelstiltskin. :(
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:But what about a movie consisting of individual and expensive shorts that were not musical pieces. Instead it could be experimental and creative shorts with characters talking.
Well, I don't know if Disney would make "expensive" shorts these days. Luckily, Roy was there pushing for Fantasia 2000...I'm still a bit disappointed that Fantasia 2006 had the shorts released separately instead of as one film (it's easier to find/watch them when they're all on one film, but I guess that's what the Short Films disc is for).
Mickeyfan1990 wrote:I take it these will be the same Blu-ray discs from before (which had extras).

Regardless, I'll give Disney points for doing this but I wish they'd continued into the possibility of releasing more of their classic shorts on home video. I'll even take another compilation release.
Even if the discs are exactly the same (and you make a good point- the new DMC TLM/Tangled/Moana set probably just uses existing discs, so this would be no different), this at least will be the first time on digital (for F & F2000) so it's worthwhile to buy, for me at least, for that reason.

I want more shorts released on Blu, too. :( Like you said, even compilation releases like "Celebating Donald/Goofy" would be better than nothing. Unforunately, I just think that the Treasures were lightning in a bottle, and we'll never see the likes of such magnificent sets again.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, I so wish they'd re-release the Treasure sets on Blu-ray. They came out when I was in middle school and high school, and I had almost no money back then. I only got money by skipping lunch at school and saving my lunch money up over time. So I couldn't afford all those sets because I prioritized things like B&tB's and Snow White's Platinum releases, for example. I only have one Treasure and it was one of the Donald volumes since his shorts were always my favorites along with the Pluto shorts and the Chip & Dale ones where they'd torture Pluto or Donald.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Yeah, it would have been interesting to see it on the big screen. And even better if it was real film instead of using digital projectors, but I guess one can't have it all.

Well, at least I have the DVD with the Blue Bayou segment.

Disney seems very unwilling these days to release their vault on DVD. I'm still waiting for the final Donald Duck DVD in the Walt Disney Treasure line in my country, and a complete collection of Silly Symphonions, and a re-release of all the black and white Mickey Mouse.
I think the reason is Disney+. They want as many subscribers for their streaming service as possible, so they are hesitent to release more DVDs and Blu-Rays, like so many other studios are doing these days. They are just as difficult as George Lucas who refuse to release the original unedited Star Wars trilogy.

But maybe there is hope that they will produce some interesting material for Disney+ instead of making it as a theatrical project. The whole thing is still very new, and when something is new, there are also many who are willing to try something new and to some experimentation. But of course, a theatrical experience will always be best.
If Pixar can go back to its roots these days, maybe Disney can too?:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... of-scandal
In some ways, the demand to produce for Disney+ has brought Pixar back to its more freewheeling early days, Docter says. "At the beginning, when we were doing Toy Story, we didn't know what we were doing," he says. "So people would be just off the street. 'You're going to be the art department manager.' Now we would never do that. First you'd have to go through three or four other positions and train. The streaming service has shaken that back up to the earlier days of, 'OK, we just have to take some chances and go.' "
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

For the first time, Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 are now available for purchase on Digital.
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

farerb wrote:For the first time, Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 are now available for purchase on Digital.
Just a correction - this isn't actually the first time. Both were available in 2010-2011 (same release window as the previous blu-ray release).
But good to have them back anyway :)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

They weren't available for digital purchase as in ITunes, Google Play, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, etc...
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Oh they were, I purchased them myself from the US iTunes in late 2010... And both have been unlocked in my DMA/MA account since it launched.
I'm only angry with myself for buying the SD version of Fantasia 2000 by mistake, while purchasing the HD version of the original Fantasia.
Happy to have the opportunity to fix this now! :D
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

I only see it available on Vudu but it's not on iTunes. What's up with that?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

stevemcqueen wrote:Oh they were, I purchased them myself from the US iTunes in late 2010... And both have been unlocked in my DMA/MA account since it launched.
I'm only angry with myself for buying the SD version of Fantasia 2000 by mistake, while purchasing the HD version of the original Fantasia.
Happy to have the opportunity to fix this now! :D
Oh I see... I thought all these services started later than that... So why didn't Disney released digital codes back then?

I bought the DMC today so I'll redeem the codes once it arrives.
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

farerb wrote:Oh I see... I thought all these services started later than that... So why didn't Disney released digital codes back then?
They did, but not for every movie like these days. They started in 2008 with mostly Pixar and new titles. Digital copies for catalog animated titles only started a few years later.
farerb wrote:I bought the DMC today so I'll redeem the codes once it arrives.
Great, I'll do the same! :up:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

This release has a new authored disc with some of the features from the 2010 release removed and some of the features from the 2000 release added.
Disney's Divinity

I watched Fantasia with the audio commentary on yesterday. I noticed there's a moment during the centaur segment that's weird. When the centaurettes start to come out all flirtatious after being "prettied up" by the cupids, the first centaurette (the green one)'s part is repeated... Is that an error or is it present in other releases of the film? Is it something done to hide Sunflower's presence?

I watched about half of the shorts on Celebrating Mickey. I meant to buy that way back when it came out a long time ago, but I never did. So I was happy it was packed with the two Fantasia films. I just can't help thinking how the people in charge could've fit twice or even 3X as many shorts on a Blu-ray as they did here. :(
blackcauldron85

This video has side-by-side "uncensored" and "censored" versions of the Pastoral Symphony:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyPFibRadto

And I don't know why Disney is neglecting releasing shorts on Blu. :(
Disney's Divinity

^ My first thought was that it might be something to do with Sunflower, and that was right. She does repeat the motion in the censored version there. Just glad it wasn't an error!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I was able to find a new, sealed copy of Fantasia 2000 on Blu-ray, so I bought and gave it a watch tonight for the first time ever. It amazed me, everything about it is so beautiful. The animation, especially is absolutely mind-blowing. I still think the original Fantasia is better, but this one was an incredible follow-up.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I managed to watch an uncensored version of Fantasia and it might be an unpopular opinion and even heresy, but I think I prefer the censored version. I found Sunflower and the other one to be jarring, off putting and out of place in an otherwise beautiful sequence.
Vlad Sicoe wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:51 pm I was able to find a new, sealed copy of Fantasia 2000 on Blu-ray, so I bought and gave it a watch tonight for the first time ever. It amazed me, everything about it is so beautiful. The animation, especially is absolutely mind-blowing. I still think the original Fantasia is better, but this one was an incredible follow-up.
I like Fantasia 2000 and I think it's a fitting conclusion for 20th Century Disney. I think a third Fantasia would have been a more appropriate film for the 100th anniversary of the studio, but Disney nowadays is only about Princesses and inferior "Pixar" films.